• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz Lady Griz WNIT

Not certain if this has been posted elsewhere on eGriz yet... Montana will play its round 2 WNIT game in Fargo vs. North Dakota State on Monday at 6 p.m. No broadcast/streaming info available on the NDSU site at this point.
I believe if a I remember right when I tried to watch the Lady Griz vs Omaha game in January, NDSU's conference uses a different TV streaming service and not ESPN+. I didn't watch it because it meant signing up and paying a monthly fee. Didn't want to do it just for one game. Besides, with live stats you get what's going on sooner even though you can't see the player do it.

LG get first post-season win since 2014. THAT'S why the Adams Center books that 'Home and Garden Show.'

LG get first post-season win since 2014. THAT'S why the Adams Center books that 'Home and Garden Show.'
They have been scheduling the home and garden show for a long time, over a decade at least. It has had an affect on scheduling post season games for the basketball teams before.

They have been scheduling the home and garden show for a long time, over a decade at least. It has had an affect on scheduling post season games for the basketball teams before.
2014-2024...a decade...hahaha. I kid. just realized that it's been 10 years.

Do not know where you received that info. The bracket for the second round is almost completed with times and dates except for the Lady Griz vs NDSU game and every game where the first round game that gets played tomorrow. Lady Griz is still TBA.

GrizzlyJournal: I think it was you that stated that the second round has to be played within 4 days. Pacific is playing Minnesota 5 days after the first round game on 3/26. Seems logical, they schedule Lady Griz vs NDSU on 3/26 also so that no team has any greater rest period. Pacific and Minnesota represent the next opponent for either Lady Griz or NDSU.
Here is where I got it. Still up today. I wonder where they are getting their information?
https://www.bing.com/sportsdetails?q=womens nit&sport=Basketball&scenario=League&TimezoneId=Mountain Standard Time&league=Basketball_WCBK&gender=Woman&intent=Generic&subintent=Top25Games&seasonyear=2023&segment=sports&isl2=true&

I believe if a I remember right when I tried to watch the Lady Griz vs Omaha game in January, NDSU's conference uses a different TV streaming service and not ESPN+. I didn't watch it because it meant signing up and paying a monthly fee. Didn't want to do it just for one game. Besides, with live stats you get what's going on sooner even though you can't see the player do it.
I believe it is midco sports. So if they are leaving it up to the hosting school’s broadcast contract, I doubt it will change. I tend to do the subscription for the month and then cancel after the game. I view it the same as buying a ticket to the game.

When was the men's last post-season win?
I really don't know, or care. Just sayin' the U will rent the facility to known quantities, like Home and Garden Show, Gun Shows, CClarkBlues Fan Club Annual Event, and the like. 😂 Holding the venue open just in case a Griz team gets lucky is not an option.
There is the expression 'Once in a blue moon' which signals rarity. But that is about every 32 months. Griz are NOT that good. Try 'Once In a Super Blue Moon,' which is once in a decade or two. That's the ballpark the Griz and Lady Griz are in.

I am thinking after getting only 1,471 fans for the game against Boise State, that Montana didn't even put in a bid to host NDSU. If you go to Fargo to watch them, the game is free with general admission.

Taking a look at the stats between the Lady Griz and NDSU, they are about dead even. I'm kind of taking a page out of Brint's book (from his scouting reports for football) and offering up some stats here.

Scoring offense: NDSU (72.8 for UM vs 75.9 for NDSU)
Scoring defense: UM (63.6 for UM vs 68.6 for NDSU)
Scoring margin: UM (9.2 for UM vs 7.3 for NDSU)
FG% for: NDSU (.434 for UM vs .446 for NDSU)
FG% against: UM (.406 for UM vs .432 for NDSU)
3PT% for: UM (.383 for UM vs .371 for NDSU)
3PT% against: NDSU (.336 for UM vs .316 for NDSU)
3PT/game: UM (10.3 for UM vs 7.4 for NDSU)
3PT/game against: NDSU (6.3 for UM vs 4.7 for NDSU)
FT% for: UM (.770 for UM vs .750 for NDSU)
FT% against: NDSU (.756 for UM vs .726 for NDSU)
FT made/game: NDSU (10.3 for UM vs 15.1 for NDSU)
Rebounds/game: UM (38.2 for UM vs 36.7 for NDSU)
Rebounds allowed/game: NDSU (32.9 for UM vs 31.7 for NDSU)
Rebound margin: UM (5.3 for UM vs 5.0 for NDSU)
Assists/game: UM (14.3 for UM vs 13.3 for NDSU)
Opp assists/game: NDSU (11.8 for UM vs 11.5 for NDSU)
Turnovers/game: UM (13 for UM vs 15.7 for NDSU)
Opp turnovers/game: NDSU (12 for UM vs 16.1 for NDSU)
T/O margin: NDSU (-1 for UM vs 0.4 for NDSU)
Assist-to-turnover ratio: UM (1.1 for UM vs 0.8 for NDSU)
Opp assist-to-turnover ratio: NDSU (1 for UM vs 0.7 for NDSU)
Steals/game: NDSU (6.3 for UM vs 7.4 for NDSU)
Opp steals/game: UM (7.2 for UM vs 7.6 for NDSU)
Blocks: UM (3.3 for UM vs 2.7 for NDSU)
Opp blocks/game: UM (3.1875 for UM vs 3.21875 for NDSU)

Montana holds a very slight statistical edge, 14 to 12. While NDSU will have the advantage of rest and playing on their home court, they may also be a bit rustier than UM was on Wednesday because NDSU's last game was the Summit League title game (vs. South Dakota State) on March 12th (compared to an eight-day layoff UM had after their Big Sky semifinal loss vs. NAU). Montana will have the advantage of having played a game more recently, as well as a few days of rest themselves. So it will be interesting to see how the game will pan out.

Some keys for Montana to win
1. Take care of the basketball...and take the basketball away from the Bison:
The Bison appear to be a bit more aggressive defensively and tend to take the ball away more than the Lady Griz do. Heaven Hamling leads the Bison in steals this season with 55 with Abby Schulte second on the team with 42. Our guards (namely Gina Marxen and Mack Konig) will have a big responsibility against a Bison team that isn't afraid to hawk the ball. The Lady Griz have improved defensively this season (63.6 ppg compared to 69 ppg last season) and with Dani Bartsch leading the Lady Griz in both rebounds and steals, she could be a game-long thorn in the side for NDSU whenever they have the ball.

2. Win the rebounding battle: While the Lady Griz hold a slight edge in rebounding over the Bison, the Bison aren't afraid bang the glass either. Bartsch has been a beast on the boards for the Lady Griz of late (as much as she's been a menace on defense all season), and Carmen Gfeller hasn't been afraid to get into it around the boards, either...as it supplements what she does scoring-wise. NDSU's leading rebounder is Avery Koenen (at 5.2 rpg), who hasn't started a game for the Bison this season but has been a key piece of their bench.

3. Be smart with shot selection, especially behind the arc: NDSU has held opponents to a .316 percentage from behind the arc this season, so if the Lady Griz want to keep up their dangerous attack from deep, they'll have to take advantage of every open look they can get and not be super hesitant. If Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw gets on a hot streak behind the arc for Montana early on, it could be a long night for NDSU. And Bartsch isn't afraid to launch a 3-ball, either...and that's another thing that could give the Bison headaches all game long, on top of her defensive abilities.

4. Get off to a great start early: With NDSU coming into this game after a 13-day hiatus, it's important for the Lady Griz to get off to a great start against a team that may be more rested than they are, but also a little rusty. While the Lady Griz appeared a little rusty themselves early in their 1st round game against Boise State, they hit their groove as the game wore on and once the second half started, they never let off the gas pedal and dominated the Broncos in the second half. If the Lady Griz build up a early lead and maintain it for much of the game, it could be difficult night for the Bison.

Last edited:
Taking a look at the stats between the Lady Griz and NDSU, they are about dead even. I'm kind of taking a page out of Brint's book (from his scouting reports for football) and offering up some stats here.

Scoring offense: NDSU (72.8 for UM vs 75.9 for NDSU)
Scoring defense: UM (63.6 for UM vs 68.6 for NDSU)
Scoring margin: UM (9.2 for UM vs 7.3 for NDSU)
FG% for: NDSU (.434 for UM vs .446 for NDSU)
FG% against: UM (.406 for UM vs .432 for NDSU)
3PT% for: UM (.383 for UM vs .371 for NDSU)
3PT% against: NDSU (.336 for UM vs .316 for NDSU)
3PT/game: UM (10.3 for UM vs 7.4 for NDSU)
3PT/game against: NDSU (6.3 for UM vs 4.7 for NDSU)
FT% for: UM (.770 for UM vs .750 for NDSU)
FT% against: NDSU (.756 for UM vs .726 for NDSU)
FT made/game: NDSU (10.3 for UM vs 15.1 for NDSU)
Rebounds/game: UM (38.2 for UM vs 36.7 for NDSU)
Rebounds allowed/game: NDSU (32.9 for UM vs 31.7 for NDSU)
Rebound margin: UM (5.3 for UM vs 5.0 for NDSU)
Assists/game: UM (14.3 for UM vs 13.3 for NDSU)
Opp assists/game: NDSU (11.8 for UM vs 11.5 for NDSU)
Turnovers/game: UM (13 for UM vs 15.7 for NDSU)
Opp turnovers/game: NDSU (12 for UM vs 16.1 for NDSU)
T/O margin: NDSU (-1 for UM vs 0.4 for NDSU)
Assist-to-turnover ratio: UM (1.1 for UM vs 0.8 for NDSU)
Opp assist-to-turnover ratio: NDSU (1 for UM vs 0.7 for NDSU)
Steals/game: NDSU (6.3 for UM vs 7.4 for NDSU)
Opp steals/game: UM (7.2 for UM vs 7.6 for NDSU)
Blocks: UM (3.3 for UM vs 2.7 for NDSU)
Opp blocks/game: UM (3.1875 for UM vs 3.21875 for NDSU)

Montana holds a very slight statistical edge, 14 to 12. While NDSU will have the advantage of rest and playing on their home court, they may also be a bit rustier than UM was on Wednesday because NDSU's last game was the Summit League title game (vs. South Dakota State) on March 12th (compared to an eight-day layoff UM had after their Big Sky semifinal loss vs. NAU). Montana will have the advantage of having played a game more recently, as well as a few days of rest themselves. So it will be interesting to see how the game will pan out.

Some keys for Montana to win
1. Take care of the basketball...and take the basketball away from the Bison:
The Bison appear to be a bit more aggressive defensively and tend to take the ball away more than the Lady Griz do. Heaven Hamling leads the Bison in steals this season with 55 with Abby Schulte second on the team with 42. Our guards (namely Gina Marxen and Mack Konig) will have a big responsibility against a Bison team that isn't afraid to hawk the ball. The Lady Griz have improved defensively this season (63.6 ppg compared to 69 ppg last season) and with Dani Bartsch leading the Lady Griz in both rebounds and steals, she could be a game-long thorn in the side for NDSU whenever they have the ball.

2. Win the rebounding battle: While the Lady Griz hold a slight edge in rebounding over the Bison, the Bison aren't afraid bang the glass either. Bartsch has been a beast on the boards for the Lady Griz of late (as much as she's been a menace on defense all season), and Carmen Gfeller hasn't been afraid to get into it around the boards, either...as it supplements what she does scoring-wise. NDSU's leading rebounder is Avery Koenen (at 5.2 rpg), who hasn't started a game for the Bison this season but has been a key piece of their bench.

3. Be smart with shot selection, especially behind the arc: NDSU has held opponents to a .316 percentage from behind the arc this season, so if the Lady Griz want to keep up their dangerous attack from deep, they'll have to take advantage of every open look they can get and not be super hesitant. If Maggie Espenmiller-McGraw gets on a hot streak behind the arc for Montana early on, it could be a long night for NDSU. And Bartsch isn't afraid to launch a 3-ball, either...and that's another thing that could give the Bison headaches all game long, on top of her defensive abilities.

4. Get off to a great start early: With NDSU coming into this game after a 13-day hiatus, it's important for the Lady Griz to get off to a great start against a team that may be more rested than they are, but also a little rusty. While the Lady Griz appeared a little rusty themselves early in their 1st round game against Boise State, they hit their groove as the game wore on and once the second half started, they never let off the gas pedal and dominated the Broncos in the second half. If the Lady Griz build up a early lead and maintain it for much of the game, it could be difficult night for the Bison.
Good report! It's a game the GrizWBB can win, I think, but it'll be tough, especially since they'll now evidently be absent Macy H.

Who do we think replaces those minutes? I’m guessing Haley or Adria
I think both along with Pirog will get more minutes depending on foul situation on other players. But, I am expecting most of Macy's minutes will go to Bruno. Konig, Marxen, Maggie, and Gfeller will likely play more minutes. Bartsch's minutes have been declining somewhat since the injury to her nose.

In case anyone is wanting to pay to watch the ladies tomorrow:

Absent Macy, her choice or coach, or maybe NCAA rule?
She would definitely be eligible to play (Ivy league transfers entered the portal earlier this season and still played all season), but unless she hasn’t 100% made up her mind (which it appears she had), I’d be pretty disappointed if the staff played her.

She would definitely be eligible to play (Ivy league transfers entered the portal earlier this season and still played all season), but unless she hasn’t 100% made up her mind (which it appears she had), I’d be pretty disappointed if the staff played her.
I thought that once an athlete chooses to go into the 'Portal,' that they are no longer on the team they're leaving. Hence, no playing time. Strange...this here 'Portal.'

Back