• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz Lady Griz WNIT

OregonStateFan

Along with Northern Colorado and Northern Arizona:

Good to see. I actually thought NAU or the GrizWBB would make the WBIT. Looking forward to seeing the bracket & first round matchups.

This was the 2023 tourney. Only 48 teams this year.

"The 64-team tournament had 32 first-round games, followed by 16 second-round games, eight third-round games, four quarterfinal games, two semifinal games, and the championship. Since the WNIT is a for-profit tournament, all games are played on the site of the higher bidding team.[7] The national championship game is currently carried on CBS Sports Network. Teams can host in the first round for a guarantee of $6,500 a game and in the second round for $7,500 a game. Early-round pairings are regionalized as much as possible in order to minimize missed class time and travel costs.[5]"

To be invited is one thing, to accept the invitation is another. Does the UM have the financial resources to attend the WNIT?

This was the 2023 tourney. Only 48 teams this year.

"The 64-team tournament had 32 first-round games, followed by 16 second-round games, eight third-round games, four quarterfinal games, two semifinal games, and the championship. Since the WNIT is a for-profit tournament, all games are played on the site of the higher bidding team.[7] The national championship game is currently carried on CBS Sports Network. Teams can host in the first round for a guarantee of $6,500 a game and in the second round for $7,500 a game. Early-round pairings are regionalized as much as possible in order to minimize missed class time and travel costs.[5]"
I assume (but do not know if) Montana will submit a hosting bid.

I assume (but do not know if) Montana will submit a hosting bid.
The Missoula Home & Garden Show is scheduled to be this coming weekend (March 23rd & 24th) at the Adams Center, so that could pose a problem in regards to whether the Lady Griz get to host a WNIT game. The only day they could play a first-round game at home would be this coming Wednesday, because move-in dates for Home & Garden Show exhibitors is set for Thrusday and Friday. If they get one of the 16 first-round byes, then next Monday or Tuesday would be potential home dates because the Adams Center will be booked for H & G show on Saturday/Sunday (the move-out date for exhibitors will be Sunday from 4pm-9pm, per the H & G show website).

I'm hoping that Griz Athletics, the Adams Center and the H & G Show organizers will be able to work something out if the Lady Griz get to host any WNIT games. I recall back in 2007 the Lady Griz were in the WNIT (won the regular season title but lost to NAU in the conference semis) but couldn't play at Dahlberg because of the H & G show that year, so they had to go on the road.

Last edited:
All three big sky teams in a side of the bracket where two of them cannot get to the championship game. To bad.

If we go by RPI ranking, Lady Griz should win. Same with NET rankings. If Lady Griz win and go on to play NDSU, it may almost become be a tie with NDSU ranked just higher than Lady Griz. When going by RPI and Lady Griz should win if using NET rankings.

At least Lady Griz get one home game against BSU. Next game will likely be on the road due to home and garden show unless they play next tuesday. Would be a bummer because Lady Griz get so much better attendance than either BSU and NDSU.

Lady Griz hasn't played any team BSU played but based on RPI and NET rankings, I predict Lady Griz win.

If Lady Griz do win, they will go up against team (NDSU) that beat South Dakota twice, a team Lady Griz won. If on the road, Lady Griz lose. If at home (which I view as unlikely due to the home and garden show), there is a chance of a win but less of a chance of a win as it is against BSU.

Here is some ticket information:

Tickets start as low as $8, with student tickets still being free of charge when being claimed through GrizTix.com.

Season-ticket holders will receive an email on Monday night with a code to gain early access to tickets beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday.

Season-ticket holders will not be guaranteed their usual seat(s). The early access allows for the selection of any available seat in the arena at the time of purchase.

The general public will have access to tickets starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday.

LG do in fact have a chance to win this game.

3 points

1. Need to contain Elodie in the post.
2. Win Rebounding war
3. Shoot and make more FT than Boise takes.

We believe LG had advantage in a number of areas

Intersting notes.

Hanson results via LG will be interesting since she was an original commit for Shannon/Petrino.

Also note. PIROG, LINCOLN AND WACKER also Petrino recruits maybe thinking elsewhere considering who is coming in. Waddington being a long 3 like the Huards.

Things will get interesting in the coming weeks.

LG do in fact have a chance to win this game.

3 points

1. Need to contain Elodie in the post.
2. Win Rebounding war
3. Shoot and make more FT than Boise takes.

We believe LG had advantage in a number of areas

Intersting notes.

Hanson results via LG will be interesting since she was an original commit for Shannon/Petrino.

Also note. PIROG, LINCOLN AND WACKER also Petrino recruits maybe thinking elsewhere considering who is coming in. Waddington being a long 3 like the Huards.

Things will get interesting in the coming weeks.
I'd be surprised if Lincoln leaves. Her family is close with the Huards and she has been friends with Macy and Haley for a long time. That said, who knows. Probably no chance, but I would love to see us get Summah Hanson.

I sure hope that tonight's attendance comes out in force and fill up the stands. Have a sellout crowd. Be great for recruiting purposes.

The LG have a great opportunity to build upon their season and build momentum into the off-season. BSU is a quality opponent, probably the equal of any team in the upper half of the BSC minus maybe EWU. They lost, actually got boat raced by EWU in Cheney back in the non-conference portion of the slate.

There are a couple of other opponents BSU shares, both UM and BSU played in the same USD/UCSD winter tournament. BSU split (lost to UCSD) whereas Montana swept. Both likely would have split with UCSD, but it was Montana's frenetic comeback in the last few minutes that got them the win.

BSU is strong defensively. They were among the better defensive units in the MWC this year, holding teams to 35% from the field and 28% from 3 and are a good rebounding team. That isn't necessarily the greatest matchup for the LG, as they've sort of lived and died from 3 and have struggled with athletic teams who rebound (EWU/NAU).

BSU has had only one team make more than 10 3's in a game all year, whereas the LG have made more than 10 3's 21 times. Montana is going to have to get BSU to play with some pace, because when BSU is set defensively they are a bit of a tough nut to crack.

BSU turns the ball over quite a bit and it has been sort of at the core as to why they've struggled at times this year. If Montana can play clean basketball, and shoot at or near their season average from 3, they have a real shot at winning the game.

They have only 2 days to sell the tickets for the game. The only people who know about the game are on the mailing list of ticket holders and whoever may have happened to go to Gogriz.com, Missoulian.com, or 406mtsports.com, or word of mouth. The Missoulian hasn't reported it in either the digital format paper or the printed format that comes out tuesdays, thursdays, and saturdays.

As of right before I wrote this message, I went to see what tickets were sold and maybe over 50% of the tickets were sold lower level and very few second level. Hopefully the ticket windows will be very busy right before the game.

They have only 2 days to sell the tickets for the game. The only people who know about the game are on the mailing list of ticket holders and whoever may have happened to go to Gogriz.com, Missoulian.com, or 406mtsports.com, or word of mouth. The Missoulian hasn't reported it in either the digital format paper or the printed format that comes out tuesdays, thursdays, and saturdays.

As of right before I wrote this message, I went to see what tickets were sold and maybe over 50% of the tickets were sold lower level and very few second level. Hopefully the ticket windows will be very busy right before the game.
Yes, Missoulian Sports Editor Bill Speltz comes across as a Lady Griz supporter, yet no word on this game in either the print or E-edition of the Missoulian.

The Missoula Home & Garden Show is scheduled to be this coming weekend (March 23rd & 24th) at the Adams Center, so that could pose a problem in regards to whether the Lady Griz get to host a WNIT game. The only day they could play a first-round game at home would be this coming Wednesday, because move-in dates for Home & Garden Show exhibitors is set for Thrusday and Friday. If they get one of the 16 first-round byes, then next Monday or Tuesday would be potential home dates because the Adams Center will be booked for H & G show on Saturday/Sunday (the move-out date for exhibitors will be Sunday from 4pm-9pm, per the H & G show website).

I'm hoping that Griz Athletics, the Adams Center and the H & G Show organizers will be able to work something out if the Lady Griz get to host any WNIT games. I recall back in 2007 the Lady Griz were in the WNIT (won the regular season title but lost to NAU in the conference semis) but couldn't play at Dahlberg because of the H & G show that year, so they had to go on the road.
Yeah, I remember something like that back then as well. It's really too bad that the 'Missoula Home & Garden Show' are so afraid that spring and summer will pass them by if they didn't have the festival, or whatever it's called, till April.
I just wonder how many monies are spent in the Missoula township when visiting fans for a game rent motel rooms and buy meals and all that. I guess the 'Missoula Home & Garden Show' really does bring in more monies than all other considerations; at least, at the time of 'March Madness' and all that. I guess the local economies and the business school doesn't have the clout to ask for a brief postponement of a couple weeks so one can say the entire community of Missoula County now have their priorities in order.

That's all I need to do; sit around and watch grass grow; in March, no less. Really exciting. Not April or May or anything like that, then it'll be too late then, I guess. Then spring and summer has passed them all by. Hell, why don't they have it in January and/or February; think of the bennies!!!

Last edited:
Back