• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jimbo Fisher blasts players

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDAGRIZ said:
Another thing nobody wants to admit is that it's been over a decade since we've had anyone named Craig Ochs on the roster. We used to recruit Craig Ochses when we were more dominant, and now we don't. No Craig Ochses = less dominant. I'm not a Stitt hater, but I wonder what his angle is here.

so the key is more transfer QB's from Colorado.....

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
I want to emphasize that I am NOT from the state of Montana, so I have none of the bias towards recruiting Montana kids. I merely looked at the facts regarding the make-up of our teams from the glory years, versus the ones following Hauck's departure, and it jumps out at you that we have about one-third as many starters from Montana as we used to, and we are not nearly as dominant as we were then. Is there a correlation. I say.... absolutely!

So, you've identified a correlation, but the causation is where it falls apart.
Personally, I blame Blockbuster Video. When BV was in business the Griz were more dominant. Then, it goes out of business and the Griz aren't as dominant? It's definitely Blockbuster Video that caused this. f***[*] Netflix . . .

I see a documentary in your future....."Netflix and Video Games: The Downfall of a Griz Dynasty"

Currently in pre-production. Liev Schreiber is rumored to have nearly been contacted to request that he narrate it for free.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
I want to emphasize that I am NOT from the state of Montana, so I have none of the bias towards recruiting Montana kids. I merely looked at the facts regarding the make-up of our teams from the glory years, versus the ones following Hauck's departure, and it jumps out at you that we have about one-third as many starters from Montana as we used to, and we are not nearly as dominant as we were then. Is there a correlation. I say.... absolutely!

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread so my apologies if the answer is in here. No doubt it seems there were more home grow kids/starters on those teams but nailing that down as "the" defining factor between dominance and mediocrity might just be pushing it. So many other variables.

The question....Is it possible that there isn't the (in state) talent base to pick from in recent times like there was back then? (by coincidence or other factors) If the amount of talent is still here are the coaches/recruiters just not picking up on it and these kids are slipping by and maybe not playing college sports at all?

If a similar amount of talent has been here in recent times who is getting all of those kids? (If they go on to play elsewhere) MSU? Northern? Carroll? Are they going to Cheney or Portland? I'm trying to count up the (MT) kids in my head the last decade or so that we really pursued and lost to someone other than the scats.

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Another thing nobody wants to admit is that it's been over a decade since we've had anyone named Craig Ochs on the roster. We used to recruit Craig Ochses when we were more dominant, and now we don't. No Craig Ochses = less dominant. I'm not a Stitt hater, but I wonder what his angle is here.

No. More people named Craig Ochs. I doubt Stitt even tried to recruit anyone named Craig Ochs this year. The fact that we had a guy named Craig Ochs when we were more dominant, and now we are less dominant when Ochsless should tell everyone what they need to know.

signedbewildered said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread so my apologies if the answer is in here. No doubt it seems there were more home grow kids/starters on those teams but nailing that down as "the" defining factor between dominance and mediocrity might just be pushing it. So many other variables.

Yeah, the answer is here. It's the fall of Blockbuster and the lack of Craig Ochses. Stitt chose not to go after any Craig Ochses this year because he is trying to run this program into the ground. The guy Iwanted to be coach isn't the coach and I won't let anyone forget it! Anyone who thinks otherwise is a dumb.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:

No. More people named Craig Ochs. I doubt Stitt even tried to recruit anyone named Craig Ochs this year. The fact that we had a guy named Craig Ochs when we were more dominant, and now we are less dominant when Ochsless should tell everyone what they need to know.

Excellent observation....but I am sure that the "Curse of 37" must have some influence.....

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Excellent observation....but I am sure that the "Curse of 37" must have some influence.....

Of curse it does. We also have to remember that several iPhones have been released in the interim. Is Wozniak a Cat fan or something? Has Stitt lost control of this locker room?

CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:

Of curse it does. We also have to remember that several iPhones have been released in the interim. Is Wozniak a Cat fan or something? Has Stitt lost control of this locker room?

I beg to differ......it is 2 words.....Global Warming......

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:

You could be onto something with that. I'm sticking with the Blockbuster Video angle. I'll go ahead and beat that drum even after it's been disproven several dozen times. I apologize in advance for the amount of space I'm going to take up on eGriz in demonstrating this theory that is actually a fact; everyone who disagrees is stupid.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:

You could be onto something with that. I'm sticking with the Blockbuster Video angle. I'll go ahead and beat that drum even after it's been disproven several dozen times. I apologize in advance for the amount of space I'm going to take up on eGriz in demonstrating this theory that is actually a fact; everyone who disagrees is stupid.

I have totally bought into the Blockbuster angle.......iphone not so much though......but anything to do with Woz must be thoroughly investigated though....Stevie is a sneaky devil......

CDAGRIZ said:
signedbewildered said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Yeah, the answer is here. It's the fall of Blockbuster and the lack of Craig Ochses. Stitt chose not to go after any Craig Ochses this year because he is trying to run this program into the ground. The guy Iwanted to be coach isn't the coach and I won't let anyone forget it! Anyone who thinks otherwise is a dumb.

Well that sunufu.....

Cell phones and texting is what caused our downfall.

Nice to hear Atlanta1 got released and is out on bail and goes to counsling at the Mo club...

Atlanta Griz1 said:
grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
mtgriz said:
Seems simple to me. The Griz aspire to win the national championship, so you recruit to your goal.

Oh yeah, our teams the past 5 years are really competing for a national championship like the teams from the past who had 2X to 3X as many starters from Montana........NOT! The numbers don't lie. We used to be dominant, and we had way more Montana kids starting then.

Once again....it was not the quantity of Montana kids....it was the quality......

Right. And if the Montana kids we had starting for us back in the days-of-dominance-and-annually-competing-for-a-National Championship were good enough to start on those teams, then they must have been pretty damned solid players! I am NOT advocating signing a bunch of Montana kids who are not FCS caliber players. But, the numbers don't lie, even though Wahlberg tries to spin them to futility prove his point.

Player Rep provided the real numbers, and the facts are that we do not have many starters from Montana now, as opposed to the glory years. There are only a few reasons why this phenomenon is occurring. They are:

1) The state is not producing as many FCS caliber high school players these days
2) We are not recruiting the state as hard now
3) We are not getting as many preferred walk-ons from Montana as we did (Murphy, Mariani, Anderson etc.)
4) The Cats are getting more of the best Montana kids

I do not know which of these is true, probably a combination of all of them, but there is no denying that we do not have as many starting-caliber Montana players on our team as in the past.
My only working theory on this is that a lot of the more recent Montana high school football athletes are coming from weak families with very small hands.

VimSince03 said:
catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Agree. Seems to me, post season accolades...1st team all conf, all American....is a better way to compare.

I'm not doing it because I could care less where they come from. We want the best players we can get, period. This discussion is soooo stupid.

I know you don't care SoldierGriz...but I'm putting that list together!
No comment on what Reynolds really weighed coming out of high school

I already commented on it. 5'10", 190 lbs. http://www.egriz.com/football/yr2006/montana-grizzlies-football-roster/
When he got to Montana, there were some critical adjustments for the-then 170-pounder to make, and it wasn't just getting bigger.

"It was quite a change," he said. "In high school, I maybe picked one blitz up, because there's isn't any blitzing, and you don't really have to know the defenses. That was the biggest difference, picking up blitzes and reading the defenses."

Because of his size, Reynolds was moved to wide receiver as a redshirt freshman but didn't have a reception as the Grizzlies went 11-1 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.
This is from an interview of Chase probably a little more accurate on his weight as a freshman ! Why would he lie about it ? We all know the rosters are not very accurate !

CDAGRIZ said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Personally, I blame Blockbuster Video. When BV was in business the Griz were more dominant. Then, it goes out of business and the Griz aren't as dominant? It's definitely Blockbuster Video that caused this. f***[*] Netflix . . .

Typical bullshit post from a poster incapable of talking football, but relegated to hi-jacking any thread and vainly attempting to be funny trying to discuss that topic....

grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
1) The state is not producing as many FCS caliber high school players these days
I think this is a cyclical thing that relates to item 3
2) We are not recruiting the state as hard now
I don't believe this to be the case
3) We are not getting as many preferred walk-ons from Montana as we did (Murphy, Mariani, Anderson etc.)
I think this is very valid as more kids are willing to take financial assistance at Frontier schools as opposed to walking on to either UM or MSU
4) The Cats are getting more of the best Montana kids
I also believe this to be cyclical, but a big thing is the academic areas of study that each school offers. Engineering and related fields are a big draw that UM can not compete

I do not know which of these is true, probably a combination of all of them, but there is no denying that we do not have as many starting-caliber Montana players on our team as in the past.

Excellent points made here, I agree with all of them. I think we could convince more players to walk on to UM if we promised them scholarship money if they proved to be FCS caliber players. I did not like Hauck, but he was great at convincing kids to walk on.

CDAGRIZ said:

Nice try. We had Ochs for two years. We were dominant for 20 years.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Typical bullshit post from a poster incapable of talking football, but relegated to hi-jacking any thread and vainly attempting to be funny trying to discuss that topic....

I'm not trying to be funny. I'm just incorporating a logical fallacy like you did. It's not my fault if that is kind of funny.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Nice try. We had Ochs for two years. We were dominant for 20 years.

During which time Blockbuster was in business. Correlation? Yes.

catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
I know you don't care SoldierGriz...but I'm putting that list together!
No comment on what Reynolds really weighed coming out of high school

I already commented on it. 5'10", 190 lbs. http://www.egriz.com/football/yr2006/montana-grizzlies-football-roster/
When he got to Montana, there were some critical adjustments for the-then 170-pounder to make, and it wasn't just getting bigger.

"It was quite a change," he said. "In high school, I maybe picked one blitz up, because there's isn't any blitzing, and you don't really have to know the defenses. That was the biggest difference, picking up blitzes and reading the defenses."

Because of his size, Reynolds was moved to wide receiver as a redshirt freshman but didn't have a reception as the Grizzlies went 11-1 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.
This is from an interview of Chase probably a little more accurate on his weight as a freshman ! Why would he lie about it ? We all know the rosters are not very accurate !

Okay catsack I'm not trying to start anything here. All I was doing was trying to find a weight for a player for you and I found a measurement from a 2006 roster (Chase's true freshman year). All I know is that Chase was a dominant running back who was likely going to get bigger when he got into a college training program (as they all do). Finally, I think I found a picture of Reynolds prior to coming to UM:

evans-before_1951115i.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back