• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jimbo Fisher blasts players

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there were a lot of Montana kids going to out of state FCS schools and starring, I would be more inclined to worry that the Griz are not recruiting enough Montana kids.

VimSince03 said:
catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
catsack said:
No comment on what Reynolds really weighed coming out of high school

I already commented on it. 5'10", 190 lbs. http://www.egriz.com/football/yr2006/montana-grizzlies-football-roster/
When he got to Montana, there were some critical adjustments for the-then 170-pounder to make, and it wasn't just getting bigger.

"It was quite a change," he said. "In high school, I maybe picked one blitz up, because there's isn't any blitzing, and you don't really have to know the defenses. That was the biggest difference, picking up blitzes and reading the defenses."

Because of his size, Reynolds was moved to wide receiver as a redshirt freshman but didn't have a reception as the Grizzlies went 11-1 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.
This is from an interview of Chase probably a little more accurate on his weight as a freshman ! Why would he lie about it ? We all know the rosters are not very accurate !

Okay catsack I'm not trying to start anything here. All I was doing was trying to find a weight for a player for you and I found a measurement from a 2006 roster (Chase's true freshman year). All I know is that Chase was a dominant running back who was likely going to get bigger when he got into a college training program (as they all do). Finally, I think I found a picture of Reynolds prior to coming to UM:

evans-before_1951115i.jpg

Well, he did turn into Captain America, so I think you're onto something.

I'm not exactly a John Nguyen basher, but no one would be happier than I if the coaching staff somehow found another CR. Always finished his runs moving forward, great vision, and an incredible nose for the end zone. And for only being 190, or whatever, he dealt out a lot of punishment.

CrunchGriz said:
VimSince03 said:
catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
I already commented on it. 5'10", 190 lbs. http://www.egriz.com/football/yr2006/montana-grizzlies-football-roster/
When he got to Montana, there were some critical adjustments for the-then 170-pounder to make, and it wasn't just getting bigger.

"It was quite a change," he said. "In high school, I maybe picked one blitz up, because there's isn't any blitzing, and you don't really have to know the defenses. That was the biggest difference, picking up blitzes and reading the defenses."

Because of his size, Reynolds was moved to wide receiver as a redshirt freshman but didn't have a reception as the Grizzlies went 11-1 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.
This is from an interview of Chase probably a little more accurate on his weight as a freshman ! Why would he lie about it ? We all know the rosters are not very accurate !

Okay catsack I'm not trying to start anything here. All I was doing was trying to find a weight for a player for you and I found a measurement from a 2006 roster (Chase's true freshman year). All I know is that Chase was a dominant running back who was likely going to get bigger when he got into a college training program (as they all do). Finally, I think I found a picture of Reynolds prior to coming to UM:

evans-before_1951115i.jpg

Well, he did turn into Captain America, so I think you're onto something.

I'm not exactly a John Nguyen basher, but no one would be happier than I if the coaching staff somehow found another CR. Always finished his runs moving forward, great vision, and an incredible nose for the end zone. And for only being 190, or whatever, he dealt out a lot of punishment.

It was such a true statement from Delaney when he said Chase knew he didn't have top end speed but he was rarely caught from behind. Great acceleration and desire.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
Are you saying that Montana kids are soft......pampered.....lazy.....so they can't handle some tough love......

Nope. Two different subjects. On the subject of toughness and work ethic, former players have told me that one reason behind the importance of having alot of MT kids is that, overall, they are a bit tougher and have a better work ethic, and love the opportunity of playing with the Griz (or the Cats)--and that tends to rub off on the non-MT kids.

Would that be former players FROM MONTANA? ;) ;)

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
Are you saying that Montana kids are soft......pampered.....lazy.....so they can't handle some tough love......

Nope. Two different subjects. On the subject of toughness and work ethic, former players have told me that one reason behind the importance of having alot of MT kids is that, overall, they are a bit tougher and have a better work ethic, and love the opportunity of playing with the Griz (or the Cats)--and that tends to rub off on the non-MT kids.

Yes.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Yes.

So, a nice, unbiased source. Gotcha. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Yes.

The non-MT players said they agreed. Gotcha.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yes.

The out of state players agreed their teammates that grew up in Montana were tougher and had a better work ethic. Well I guess that settles that.

I can see how kids that grew up watching and cheering for The Griz or Cats wouldn't want to let down their team, family, friends, hometown or the state for that matter if given the opportunity to suit up so you do kind of have a point there. What that translates to I'm not certain but it has to amount to a bit more pressure on them if anything to succeed.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

The non-MT players agreed that MT players were tougher and had a better work ethic? Why do I find that incredibly difficult to believe?

Because you don't live in MT, I assume.

What I recall, on 2 or more occasions, are players and ex-players saying another reason it's important to have alot of MT players is because more of them come in expecting to work very hard, they have great desire to play for the Griz, and they come in knowing and understanding the tradition. There have been some non-MT players who seem to agree, or didn't disagree, with that. Tnis is a more accurate statement of my recollection. Note that the largest group, by state, is always the MT guys. Alot of them are walk-ons; they know they will have to work hard to get on the field. They aren't likely to outrun many guys.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

The non-MT players agreed that MT players were tougher and had a better work ethic? Why do I find that incredibly difficult to believe?

Because you don't live in MT, I assume.

What I recall, on 2 or more occasions, are players and ex-players saying another reason it's important to have alot of MT players is because more of them come in expecting to work very hard, they have great desire to play for the Griz, and they come in knowing and understanding the tradition. There have been some non-MT players who seem to agree, or didn't disagree, with that. Tnis is a more accurate statement of my recollection. Note that the largest group, by state, is always the MT guys. Alot of them are walk-ons; they know they will have to work hard to get on the field. They aren't likely to outrun many guys.

So non MT players come in expecting to NOT have to work very hard to see the field? Honestly, you're not making much sense here. It would seem that both MT players and NON MT players who choose to not work very hard won't be around long.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

You find it hard to believe because it is not true. It is not true now, it was not true then, and it will never be true.

I wonder how all of those out-of-state players for Notre Dame motivate themselves for the USC game? How in the hell do those NDSU players from Minnesota get themselves fired up for the Northern Iowa game?

AZ---can you please take me fishing sometime because you really know how to bait hooks.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

You find it hard to believe because it is not true. It is not true now, it was not true then, and it will never be true.

I wonder how all of those out-of-state players for Notre Dame motivate themselves for the USC game? How in the hell do those NDSU players from Minnesota get themselves fired up for the Northern Iowa game?

AZ---can you please take me fishing sometime because you really know how to bait hooks.

What does Notre Dame have to do with Montana on this topic? Answer: nothing.

It is 100% true that several players have told me this, in recent years, on at least 2 occasions. That is indisputable.

PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

What does Notre Dame have to do with Montana on this topic? Answer: nothing.

It is 100% true that several players have told me this, in recent years, on at least 2 occasions. That is indisputable.

I dispute it.

SoldierGriz said:
I wonder how all of those out-of-state players for Notre Dame motivate themselves for the USC game?
Since Notre Dame is a religiously-affiliated, rather than a state-affiliated school, what possible connection would there be to "in-state" vs "out-of-state?"

UMGriz75 said:
SoldierGriz said:
I wonder how all of those out-of-state players for Notre Dame motivate themselves for the USC game?
Since Notre Dame is a religiously-affiliated, rather than a state-affiliated school, what possible connection would there be to "in-state" vs "out-of-state?"

You're correct...wonder how those out-of-state USC players find the toughness and work ethic to get adequately motivated to play Notre Dame, or UCLA? How do those Texas-born players on OU find the toughness and work ethic to prepare to play UT? How do all those Texas-born players playing for K-State find the toughness and work ethic to compete against other Texas-born players on the KU squad. I am sure you get the point.

This whole conversation is insanely stupid. I guarantee it doesn't take our out-of-state players very long to appreciate the pride and tradition of the Griz Program. This pride extends to the Brawl very, very quickly. I guarantee Stitt - gained an appreciation for this reality in about the first 10 seconds after he was hired, if not before...

Again, this is an insanely stupid conversation.

SoldierGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
SoldierGriz said:

You're correct...wonder how those out-of-state USC players find the toughness and work ethic to get adequately motivated to play Notre Dame, or UCLA? How do those Texas-born players on OU find the toughness and work ethic to prepare to play UT? How do all those Texas-born players playing for K-State find the toughness and work ethic to compete against other Texas-born players on the KU squad. I am sure you get the point.

This whole conversation is insanely stupid. I guarantee it doesn't take our out-of-state players very long to appreciate the pride and tradition of the Griz Program. This pride extends to the Brawl very, very quickly. I guarantee Stitt - gained an appreciation for this reality in about the first 10 seconds after he was hired, if not before...

Agreed. We saw both Texas lads play their guts out for Ash, even after being thrown under the bus.

SoldierGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
SoldierGriz said:

What is stupid is your complete lack of understanding of words and logic. Also, your guarantee means nothing because you appear not to know what you are talking about. You just admitted that out of state players have to learn to appreciate the pride and tradition of the Griz program. They don't arrive already knowing the pride and tradition like the MT kids do. In addition, the MT kids are the largest group by far and through their numbers and otherwise they tend to be leaders in the lunch pail to work category. And lastly, again, it is undisputable that some players and ex-players think this. You can tell the board or them they don't know what they're talking about all you want, but you will be wrong because they, or some, do in fact believe this.

BS to you. You can't possibly know what someone told me. That is a fact. You need to learn more about MT football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back