• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jimbo Fisher blasts players

Status
Not open for further replies.
VimSince03 said:
5'10", 190 lbs. which is still a good sized back in high school. One of the best RBs to ever come out of the state of Montana and he was still unsure if he could play RB for the Griz. But overall this article does an excellent job of breaking down the four main characteristics that make up great running backs.

http://missoulian.com/college/griz/everyone-s-chasing-montana-s-chase-reynolds/article_a7bd776a-b30b-11df-9e37-001cc4c002e0.html

Eyes, Hands, Legs, ......and Heart
That's what he weighed his senior year of college he came to UM as 170 pound freshman!

catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
5'10", 190 lbs. which is still a good sized back in high school. One of the best RBs to ever come out of the state of Montana and he was still unsure if he could play RB for the Griz. But overall this article does an excellent job of breaking down the four main characteristics that make up great running backs.

http://missoulian.com/college/griz/everyone-s-chasing-montana-s-chase-reynolds/article_a7bd776a-b30b-11df-9e37-001cc4c002e0.html

Eyes, Hands, Legs, ......and Heart
That's what he weighed his senior year of college he came to UM as 170 pound freshman!

When he got to Montana, there were some critical adjustments for the-then 170-pounder to make, and it wasn't just getting bigger.

PlayerRep said:
TCCGRIZ said:
"If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" So what if they are assholes ,If these young men can not handle it they should go back to there mom's basement . I guarantee there are plenty of young men that would love to be in a position to play ball at the upper level . Hard work never hurt anyone and no ones hand should be held in the process !! All this pissing and moaning about it does not help . What happens when these kids get into the real world ( that's right, you get the kids that want everything for free . free tuition, taking parents to court cause they wasted the money their parents gave them for an education )
Most parents give their kids a roof over their heads and food on the table and the opportunity to do better than they did. I ask ,what more do you need in life? There are a lot of kids out there today that are just to soft !!
If my children ( Adults now ) acted like that , Oh ,wait they know better that to pull crap like that.
Sorry for the rant fellas ,but all this pissing and moaning back and forth is idiotic . I know it has been a long offseason but "come on, let it go " . To these kids I would say two things " Life is hard sometimes so what " and " Never stop doing your best just because someone doesn't give you credit "

One more " Life is a garden dig it!!!!

Now can we start some real football threads ???
Anyone ?????

Nope. If a coach or a program gets a reputation for being too hard with or unfair to players, some players, including good ones who have multiple choices, will go elsewhere. The replacements may not quite be at the quality level.

This is the first post I agree with you on in many years. All of this bravado B.S. made from the friendly confines of a keyboard is laughable. Coaches can demand discipline without being bullies and assholes. There is a fine line, and from what I am hearing from current and recent players, the book is still out on where Stitt fits into the equation.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
PlayerRep said:
TCCGRIZ said:
"If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" So what if they are assholes ,If these young men can not handle it they should go back to there mom's basement . I guarantee there are plenty of young men that would love to be in a position to play ball at the upper level . Hard work never hurt anyone and no ones hand should be held in the process !! All this pissing and moaning about it does not help . What happens when these kids get into the real world ( that's right, you get the kids that want everything for free . free tuition, taking parents to court cause they wasted the money their parents gave them for an education )
Most parents give their kids a roof over their heads and food on the table and the opportunity to do better than they did. I ask ,what more do you need in life? There are a lot of kids out there today that are just to soft !!
If my children ( Adults now ) acted like that , Oh ,wait they know better that to pull crap like that.
Sorry for the rant fellas ,but all this pissing and moaning back and forth is idiotic . I know it has been a long offseason but "come on, let it go " . To these kids I would say two things " Life is hard sometimes so what " and " Never stop doing your best just because someone doesn't give you credit "

Anyone ?????

Nope. If a coach or a program gets a reputation for being too hard with or unfair to players, some players, including good ones who have multiple choices, will go elsewhere. The replacements may not quite be at the quality level.

This is the first post I agree with you on in many years. All of this bravado B.S. made from the friendly confines of a keyboard is laughable. Coaches can demand discipline without being bullies and assholes. There is a fine line, and from what I am hearing from current and recent players, the book is still out on where Stitt fits into the equation.

No way! Growler is back? I love it. Tell me about how to win a FB game . . .

CDAGRIZ said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
PlayerRep said:
TCCGRIZ said:

Anyone ?????

No way! Growler is back? I love it. Tell me about how to win a FB game . . .

I think you need more Montana kids.....

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Umista said:
A waste of time talking over and over and over again about Montana kids.
We have a coach and I want him to get the best kids he can. I don't want many middle of the road kids riding the pine simply to pacify some fans.
Speculation about coach Stitt with little knowledge of the facts is simlar to the republican party mess.
Of course I am a Stitt suporter and until I find valid evidence he is a mean and poor coach I will continue my support.

I checked Dartmouth's football roster. One kid from NH. I guess their coaching staff believes the same as you do, which would make them football idiots in the eyes of some alums.

Dartmouth and the Ivies have always recruited nationally and not relied on local talent. There aren't enough high academic recruits locally or even in the region. The defensive starters on the defense when I played were from 10 or 11 different states. Dartmouth and the Ivies don't give athletic scholarships and don't have out of state tuition, so they don't need to save money by recruiting low tuition kids. Also, Dartmouth's attendance sucks and is not composed of locals. Students, parents, alums and a few locals. Montana's situation is very different.

PR:
You know that Growler has been beating the " homegrown talent" drum for some time now. It's an interesting argument. Brint has been going back and forth with Growler on Marion Blood about this topic. Brint has posted analysis showing the breakdown of out of state vs in state starters on the Griz teams during the Power Years Glenn, Hauck etc. His results showed that "out of staters" where always a larger portion of the starters. With those great teams, attendance and community support were always very high. I think that this "need to have more Montana players" issue is somewhat of a red herring. I'd like to see Brint chime in.... His analysis was really interesting.....

I'm not familiar with Maroon Blood, so have missed that discussion. I don't know what Growler was saying, and I know his stats are always wrong.

As for Brint's analysis, yes, everyone knows or should know that in the last couple decades UM has usually had more out-state starters than in-state starters, but UM has had alot of MT starters.. Note, however, that the in- and out-state discussion is both starters and non-starters (contributors).

I believe there were some Hauck years when UM had about half of the roster from MT. That's not the case now. On the current roster, UM has 29 MT kids and only 14 are sophomore and above. That must be the lowest, or about the lowest, upper class number for decades. Just a guess.

Brint's numbers actually support and prove my point, i.e. that UM's numbers from MT are dropping and are getting much too low. They are way lower than what they have been in the past. UM signed very few MT kids as scholarship players in Feb., and I don't think signed many MT schollie players last year. The Cats seem to be doing better with MT recruits than they did in the old days, but I don't follow their recruits and may not be right on this.

Since Brint posted only starters, here are the starter numbers.

UM will have only 4 starters from MT next year, Brady, Weyer, Horner, Kidder. Schye? Peevey? Could Bradley start? Assume Brint doesn't list him as starter but didn't look. With all the d-line transfers coming in, I think competition will be tough on the d-line. 6 MT starters in the NDSU playoff game. Only 3 of those 6 return.

Compare 4 MT starters to Brint's starter numbers in O4, 06, 08 and 09: 8, 10, 12, 12. Okay, compare 5 or 6 next year to 8, 10, 12, 12. It's absolutely clear that MT has fewer, really way fewer, MT starters now than it did in the past.

My comments on the need for MT players and the reasons come straight from multiple head coaches and multiple assistant coaches, as well as some senior athletic dept officials, prior to the current coaches. Also, some from now former players.

I see no basis for saying or believing that UM has as many MT players and starters now as it used to. That just isn't accurate. And the trend line is going down.

Seems simple to me. The Griz aspire to win the national championship, so you recruit to your goal.

mtgriz said:
Seems simple to me. The Griz aspire to win the national championship, so you recruit to your goal.

Oh yeah, our teams the past 5 years are really competing for a national championship like the teams from the past who had 2X to 3X as many starters from Montana........NOT! The numbers don't lie. We used to be dominant, and we had way more Montana kids starting then.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
mtgriz said:

Oh yeah, our teams the past 5 years are really competing for a national championship like the teams from the past who had 2X to 3X as many starters from Montana........NOT! The numbers don't lie. We used to be dominant, and we had way more Montana kids starting then.

Once again....it was not the quantity of Montana kids....it was the quality......

grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
mtgriz said:

Once again....it was not the quantity of Montana kids....it was the quality......

Agree. Seems to me, post season accolades...1st team all conf, all American....is a better way to compare.

I'm not doing it because I could care less where they come from. We want the best players we can get, period. This discussion is soooo stupid.

SoldierGriz said:
grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
mtgriz said:

Agree. Seems to me, post season accolades...1st team all conf, all American....is a better way to compare.

I'm not doing it because I could care less where they come from. We want the best players we can get, period. This discussion is soooo stupid.

I know you don't care SoldierGriz...but I'm putting that list together!

VimSince03 said:
SoldierGriz said:
grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

No comment on what Reynolds really weighed coming out of high school

catsack said:
VimSince03 said:
SoldierGriz said:
grizindabox said:

No comment on what Reynolds really weighed coming out of high school

I already commented on it. 5'10", 190 lbs. http://www.egriz.com/football/yr2006/montana-grizzlies-football-roster/

grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
mtgriz said:

Right. And if the Montana kids we had starting for us back in the days-of-dominance-and-annually-competing-for-a-National Championship were good enough to start on those teams, then they must have been pretty damned solid players! I am NOT advocating signing a bunch of Montana kids who are not FCS caliber players. But, the numbers don't lie, even though Wahlberg tries to spin them to futility prove his point.

Player Rep provided the real numbers, and the facts are that we do not have many starters from Montana now, as opposed to the glory years. There are only a few reasons why this phenomenon is occurring. They are:

1) The state is not producing as many FCS caliber high school players these days
2) We are not recruiting the state as hard now
3) We are not getting as many preferred walk-ons from Montana as we did (Murphy, Mariani, Anderson etc.)
4) The Cats are getting more of the best Montana kids

I do not know which of these is true, probably a combination of all of them, but there is no denying that we do not have as many starting-caliber Montana players on our team as in the past.

I want to emphasize that I am NOT from the state of Montana, so I have none of the bias towards recruiting Montana kids. I merely looked at the facts regarding the make-up of our teams from the glory years, versus the ones following Hauck's departure, and it jumps out at you that we have about one-third as many starters from Montana as we used to, and we are not nearly as dominant as we were then. Is there a correlation. I say.... absolutely!

Atlanta Griz1 said:
I want to emphasize that I am NOT from the state of Montana, so I have none of the bias towards recruiting Montana kids. I merely looked at the facts regarding the make-up of our teams from the glory years, versus the ones following Hauck's departure, and it jumps out at you that we have about one-third as many starters from Montana as we used to, and we are not nearly as dominant as we were then. Is there a correlation. I say.... absolutely!

So, you've identified a correlation, but the causation is where it falls apart.
Personally, I blame Blockbuster Video. When BV was in business the Griz were more dominant. Then, it goes out of business and the Griz aren't as dominant? It's definitely Blockbuster Video that caused this. Fucking Netflix . . .

Atlanta Griz1 said:
1) The state is not producing as many FCS caliber high school players these days
I think this is a cyclical thing that relates to item 3
2) We are not recruiting the state as hard now
I don't believe this to be the case
3) We are not getting as many preferred walk-ons from Montana as we did (Murphy, Mariani, Anderson etc.)
I think this is very valid as more kids are willing to take financial assistance at Frontier schools as opposed to walking on to either UM or MSU
4) The Cats are getting more of the best Montana kids
I also believe this to be cyclical, but a big thing is the academic areas of study that each school offers. Engineering and related fields are a big draw that UM can not compete

I do not know which of these is true, probably a combination of all of them, but there is no denying that we do not have as many starting-caliber Montana players on our team as in the past.

CDAGRIZ said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

So, you've identified a correlation, but the causation is where it falls apart.
Personally, I blame Blockbuster Video. When BV was in business the Griz were more dominant. Then, it goes out of business and the Griz aren't as dominant? It's definitely Blockbuster Video that caused this. f***[*] Netflix . . .

I see a documentary in your future....."Netflix and Video Games: The Downfall of a Griz Dynasty"

Another thing nobody wants to admit is that it's been over a decade since we've had anyone named Craig Ochs on the roster. We used to recruit Craig Ochses when we were more dominant, and now we don't. No Craig Ochses = less dominant. I'm not a Stitt hater, but I wonder what his angle is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back