• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz vs Pam State Predictions

Griz 48-21

That Sac State defensive front looks pretty small and I think the improved strength, size, and depth of our o line will wear them down.

You know how sometimes a little brother can get really good at sports because he is always playing his bigger more athletic older brother and friends? Well Sac played 3! 3 FBS opponents this year and hung with all of them. They have the most important ingredients to winning football O-line and D-line, Quarterback and coaching. Which of those are better than ours? Their D-line leads the conference in sacks and handled the Cats rushing offense easily. Their O-line hasn't given up a sack to an FCS team yet and handled the Cats stout D easily. Their QB is really good and a dual threat and threw and ran all over the cats but I give sneed the edge. They have great coaching with winning pedigree, coaches come from winning programs at Home here in Missoula, from winning programs at EWU (recruiting coordinator) and at UTAH. They have a huge advantage that hasn't been touched on yet, they can recruit California and the surrounding area and have a huge population to pick from. I anticipate Sac being the new EWU and the Griz will have their hands full for years to come. Now, are they there yet? No.... but neither are we. They have the better D but it might be close, we have the better O but it might be close, we have the better Special teams and it ain't close. We have the better coaching but that might be close too. The game is away where Sac is playing really good. I think this game is very very close and goes into overtime where the Griz still find a way to win going for 2 during the first OT 50-49

grizfan406 said:
3 FBS opponents this year and hung with all of them.

They only played 2 FBS opponents this year. They also played Southern Oregon, an NAIA team, and Northern Colorado in a non conference matchup.
As for the no sacks against fcs opponents, 2 of the 3 fcs games they've played were against EWU and UNC, who both have pretty terrible defenses.

I'm not saying Sac State won't be good, but let's not give them more credit than they deserve. They aren't quite world beaters.

Going to be possibly the toughest road game the Griz play all year beyond Oregon. Griz have been playing well, including against quality teams, and seem to be able to put solid points up against any FCS team. Sac State is no push over as in year's past & this game may turn into the shootout we all expected with UC Davis.

GRIZ - 41

Sacramento State - 35

Hauck has had 2 weeks to prepare for these guys. The players have had 2 weeks to heal up the bumps, bruises and sprains.

Griz come out firing on all cylinders and don’t let up. Final score 61-21 as Sneed gets his 4th POW.

This is a must win game in my opinion. It is the first in a long line of tough games to end the season and is a tone setting matchup against a quality top 25 team. It is also against one of the three teams tied for first in the Big Sky. A win here would tie UM at first with Weber. Have to have it! Bobby is gonna have the guys on point this week.

All games other than Oregon the Griz have won by 2 or more scores. They’re going to have to gut out a close game at some point.

Griz - 35
Sac - 31

Grizbballfan14 said:
grizfan406 said:

They only played 2 FBS opponents this year. They also played Southern Oregon, an NAIA team, and Northern Colorado in a non conference matchup.
As for the no sacks against fcs opponents, 2 of the 3 fcs games they've played were against EWU and UNC, who both have pretty terrible defenses.

I'm not saying Sac State won't be good, but let's not give them more credit than they deserve. They aren't quite world beaters.

You're right, just two FBS. I was looking at sdsu game from last year on the Google search. Not world beaters but very good team, we'll coached.

grizfan406 said:
Grizbballfan14 said:
grizfan406 said:

You're right, just two FBS. I was looking at sdsu game from last year on the Google search. Not world beaters but very good team, we'll coached.

I've done that a few times myself. You'd think google would have it organized better than that.

grizfan406 said:
You know how sometimes a little brother can get really good at sports because he is always playing his bigger more athletic older brother and friends? Well Sac played 3! 3 FBS opponents this year and hung with all of them. They have the most important ingredients to winning football O-line and D-line, Quarterback and coaching. Which of those are better than ours? Their D-line leads the conference in sacks and handled the Cats rushing offense easily. Their O-line hasn't given up a sack to an FCS team yet and handled the Cats stout D easily. Their QB is really good and a dual threat and threw and ran all over the cats but I give sneed the edge. They have great coaching with winning pedigree, coaches come from winning programs at Home here in Missoula, from winning programs at EWU (recruiting coordinator) and at UTAH. They have a huge advantage that hasn't been touched on yet, they can recruit California and the surrounding area and have a huge population to pick from. I anticipate Sac being the new EWU and the Griz will have their hands full for years to come. Now, are they there yet? No.... but neither are we. They have the better D but it might be close, we have the better O but it might be close, we have the better Special teams and it ain't close. We have the better coaching but that might be close too. The game is away where Sac is playing really good. I think this game is very very close and goes into overtime where the Griz still find a way to win going for 2 during the first OT 50-49

This post probably has the most truth to it in this thread. Sac is good! The cats can't throw the ball because their QB doesn't get a chance to get into any rhythm. The Cat D never came close to sacking Sac State QB Thompson. If the Griz do not pressure Thompson, our corners are in for a long day. Our safeties and LB's have to control the middle of the field and not let Sac state be successful on the crossing routes. Keep Thompson in the pocket! No one has been over successful on running ball yet. because they are always behind and have to throw. We will have a running game! We will not get way behind and become one dimensional! We need to score early and often.
Griz will pull it out 39-34.

Good guys win in an instant classic 41-35

We have two things working in our favor:
The obvious being the extra week of preparation.
The not-so-obvious being we’ve already made this exact same road trip this year and things turned out well for us. The familiarity with the travel schedule can do nothing but help us focus on the task at hand.

reinell30 said:
grizfan406 said:

This post probably has the most truth to it in this thread. Sac is good! The cats can't throw the ball because their QB doesn't get a chance to get into any rhythm. The Cat D never came close to sacking Sac State QB Thompson. If the Griz do not pressure Thompson, our corners are in for a long day. Our safeties and LB's have to control the middle of the field and not let Sac state be successful on the crossing routes. Keep Thompson in the pocket! No one has been over successful on running ball yet. because they are always behind and have to throw. We will have a running game! We will not get way behind and become one dimensional! We need to score early and often.
Griz will pull it out 39-34.

Both posts are right on...except....we may have a harder time running the ball against one of the top running D in the BSC than we think. To balance that, the Griz O is way more diverse than any one else in the BSC and should be able to run the short passing game to open up the inside run game. The biggest advantage I see is our big WRs against their smallish DBs.

On the D side, I was impressed with the Sac St QB. He is very talented and composed. The coaches toughest job will be to figure out a way to contain him. But, compared to the Griz, I feel they have fewer supporting playmakers. If the D can make a few stops I think the Griz can win this, maybe in a shoot out.

Griz 48
Pam St 41

Instead of putting up 200 plus running, Dalton breaks Ah Yat’s single game yardage record & joins Chalich with seven TD passes in a single game. He could still put up a hundred or more running.

SacSta has a good to great fcs front 7 and a below average group of DB’s. They can’t cover anyone playing the edges for Montana. O-line’s got to have its best game of the season.

FireGriz said:
Hauck has had 2 weeks to prepare for these guys. The players have had 2 weeks to heal up the bumps, bruises and sprains.

Griz come out firing on all cylinders and don’t let up. Final score 61-21 as Sneed gets his 4th POW.

No way we score 61 on the road, playing a good team.

"3 FBS opponents this year and hung with all of them."

"They only played 2 FBS opponents this year."

Of course, they did not play 3 FBS teams. There would not be able to find 22 healthy players after all that. If emoticons worked for me it would be; poking a pile of shit, and the one running away.

After reading this thread, a person might think the Griz haven’t faced and beat this QB once already. Made him look average if not bad.

DuCharme said:
After reading this thread, a person might think the Griz haven’t faced and beat this QB once already. Made him look average if not bad.

Over in Bozeman he put up great numbers. Yet the cats put zero pressure on him and mostly the DB's played well off their receivers. Those can greatly enhance a QB's game stats.

Actually watching the game I saw a very good QB though not necessarily a great one. Thompson will make plays and score some points (possibly with both his arm and his legs). I expect a tight game though as Ducharme posts it is not because this is some other worldly QB. Sac State can certainly win this game. However, if the Griz continue playing like they have they'll come out with another win.

Sacramento St is a solid top 20 team. They are good and deserve their ranking! Yet this isn't a top ten team, nor the best team we will play this year. This is a good QB, but again he isn't the best we will face. Our guys will definitely need to be ready. I'm confident they will be. Looking forward to a good contest. Go Griz! :ugeek:

Latest posts

Back