• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"Caitlyn Jenner says she opposes transgender girls competing in girls’ sports"

ranco said:
Just a question to further understand the topic. What are the criteria for a biological male to compete in female sports? Do they have to have medical records or counseling records showing they are transitioning (ie taking hormones etc)? Or can they simply choose to identify as a female and compete?

I don't know all the steps, but I believe that a year of estrogen treatments is required, and would assume continued.

tourist said:
Agreed. This started with Title IX. Let's fix this, now let's fix that...seems to be a never ending story. This is Federal stupidity. Sports is sports. Subdividing into male/female/transgender/whatever theycomeupwithnext is ridiculous.
What the hell! ... Let's just totally "level" the playing field. If we don't subdivide by all those things, why have age groups? No peewee football or Pony League baseball. One tryout for softball ... come one, come all, and may the best players win. Football tryout? So what if you're ten years old, stand 4-9, and weigh 95 pounds soaking wet? You had your chance.

:? :!:

IdaGriz01 said:
tourist said:
Agreed. This started with Title IX. Let's fix this, now let's fix that...seems to be a never ending story. This is Federal stupidity. Sports is sports. Subdividing into male/female/transgender/whatever theycomeupwithnext is ridiculous.
What the hell! ... Let's just totally "level" the playing field. If we don't subdivide by all those things, why have age groups? No peewee football or Pony League baseball. One tryout for softball ... come one, come all, and may the best players win. Football tryout? So what if you're ten years old, stand 4-9, and weigh 95 pounds soaking wet? You had your chance.

Exactly. This was our point.

Well if we want to teach young women about fairness in society perhaps we should bring in members of the US Women's Soccer team to our high schools to address the topic. Winning women get paid a fraction of what the chump loser men's team does. That is the reality about fairness. Face it, this isn't about fairness - its about phobia. It's just like the phony Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holiday non-issue that Fox and Trump use to inflame some of you. Most of you have a brain - why not try using it.

ranco said:
Just a question to further understand the topic. What are the criteria for a biological male to compete in female sports? Do they have to have medical records or counseling records showing they are transitioning (ie taking hormones etc)? Or can they simply choose to identify as a female and compete?

These are good questions. Hopefully, someone can shed some light on the answers.

sdk.catfish said:
Well if we want to teach young women about fairness in society perhaps we should bring in members of the US Women's Soccer team to our high schools to address the topic. Winning women get paid a fraction of what the chump loser men's team does. That is the reality about fairness. Face it, this isn't about fairness - its about phobia. It's just like the phony Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holiday non-issue that Fox and Trump use to inflame some of you. Most of you have a brain - why not try using it.

I don't see the issue as being teaching fairness. To me, the issue is how to best have fairness in sport. For forever, boys/men competed against other boys/men in sports. Girls/women in against each other. Now that there are hybrid/transgender possibilities, the question is what should be done, what creates fair competition, and what should the rules be? I don't know the answers to any of that.

If the Montana legislature constructs this bill properly they can be proactive and stay ahead of the days when our kids are going to have to compete in sports against centaurs and robots.

PlayerRep said:
sdk.catfish said:

I don't see the issue as being teaching fairness. To me, the issue is how to best have fairness in sport. For forever, boys/men competed against other boys/men in sports. Girls/women in against each other. Now that there are hybrid/transgender possibilities, the question is what should be done, what creates fair competition, and what should the rules be? I don't know the answers to any of that.

Well said.

I can't speak for anyone else but what you said above has been my only point in all of this. We are in different times and dealing with brand new issues in regards to sports. But if a concern in this entire topic of whether or not it is "fair", I think that is a legit concern.

If the counter to that is, "life isn't fair" then I agree. But if we're not going to concern ourselves with fairness in regards to transgender athletes, why bother considering fairness in all other aspects of sports, i.e; gender divisions, age divisions and in many sports divisions based on height and weight?

IdaGriz01 said:
tourist said:

The legislature had better act quickly to pass a bill specifically banning that absurdity before it becomes a problem.

Sorry, I just don’t buy the “If we don’t act now, X could happen, so we have to act now at all costs” line of reasoning. It seeks to conflate an instant non-issue with a potential future issue that has a very low chance of being an issue. Doesn’t make sense to me, but the good lord chose not to bless me with a fully functioning brain.

SaskGriz said:
If the Montana legislature constructs this bill properly they can be proactive and stay ahead of the days when our kids are going to have to compete in sports against centaurs and robots.

Can we include aliens in that? I’m terrified that my kids will have to play against aliens in the next 10 years. Ban them!

SaskGriz said:

Solid post, even more surprising being Canadian.

CDAGRIZ said:
SaskGriz said:

Can we include aliens in that? I’m terrified that my kids will have to play against aliens in the next 10 years. Ban them!

And time travelers? I wouldn’t want a transgendered Joe DiMaggio (Jolting Jane) taking my daughter’s little league centerfield position.

The last thing my 10 year old daughter needs is a teammate drinking coffee and smoking in the dugout while bragging about banging Marilyn Monroe.

CDAGRIZ said:
SaskGriz said:

I do understand your points with the sarcastic remarks, but I do also think there’s some naivety going on as well. If you look at trends of today’s youth that are being treated for gender dysphoria, the numbers are almost unbelievable. There are some great case studies out there that show just how exponential transgenderism has become among teens specifically. So with that in mind, the topic of trans-athletes will undoubtedly be a bridge that is crossed more and more frequently. I agree swift action may not be necessary at this time, but it certainly needs to be addressed on how these situations will be handled going forward.

RainierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I do understand your points with the sarcastic remarks, but I do also think there’s some naivety going on as well. If you look at trends of today’s youth that are being treated for gender dysphoria, the numbers are almost unbelievable. There are some great case studies out there that show just how exponential transgenderism has become among teens specifically. So with that in mind, the topic of trans-athletes will undoubtedly be a bridge that is crossed more and more frequently. I agree swift action may not be necessary at this time, but it certainly needs to be addressed on how these situations will be handled going forward.

No one is saying it shouldn't be addressed.

HelenaHandBasket said:
RainierGriz said:

That’s good! I must have misinterpreted some of these. comments.

RainierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Genuinely not trying to be a dick, but that kinda means you didn’t understand my point. Not now, please, is my point.

CDAGRIZ said:
RainierGriz said:

Genuinely not trying to be a dick, but that kinda means you didn’t understand my point. Not now, please, is my point.

All good haha... I understand it now. I think the trends and numbers of teens identifying as transgender show this will become a bigger deal sooner than later, so not sure if kicking the can down the road for the sake of keeping things kosher is the best approach. That’s all my point is.

RainierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

All good haha... I understand it now. I think the trends and numbers of teens identifying as transgender show this will become a bigger deal sooner than later, so not sure if kicking the can down the road for the sake of keeping things kosher is the best approach. That’s all my point is.

I totally get that, too. :handshake:

tourist said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

OK, how would YOU address it?

Well, I probably would have both sides sit down with representatives from different levels of athletics throughout the state and listened to what they have to say. From there, I would have these groups work through the issue, to see if an amicable solution could be found. I am sure there is some middle ground that all would be agreeable. There was no need for the State Legislature to pass this bill at this time, they just jumped to the extreme end of the process. My question is why were they so willing to jump to that point without taking the time to consider both groups?

Back