• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bison player suspended over banned substance

Let's get one thing straight. If Brock didn't think the "supplement" would help his performance on the field he wouldn't have taken it. I'm sure it was pitched to him as a legal performance enhancer. Everybody seems stuck on the NCAA's line in the sand as to how close a PED is to anabolic steroids but regardless of which side of the line it falls on, the players take them because they are told they will enhance their performance. And if you doubt that, tell me how you sell a kid on ingesting a supplement by saying either it won't help his performance or will hurt his performance.

The kids was looking for something beyond food, workouts and practice to help his performance on the field, no more, no less. Mommy thinks that is fine, and so do the coaches/admin. You know, because everybody is doing it.

2011BisonAlumni said:
I wonder if you took a poll of UM players who drank a cup of regular coffee last year and saw how many said yes. Every single one of them would have been consuming a banned supplement according to the NCAA.

:lol:
This is gold...

A question not being addressed is why the hell does NDSU need a motivational speaker? Hell they've won 7 of the last 8 National Championships, if that don't get you out of bed you're not much of an athlete. This guy should be working for Mississippi Valley State, that's a place that needs some jump in their step, try getting motivated for another ass whomping every week.

SaskGriz said:
A question not being addressed is why the hell does NDSU need a motivational speaker? Hell they've won 7 of the last 8 National Championships, if that don't get you out of bed you're not much of an athlete. This guy should be working for Mississippi Valley State, that's a place that needs some jump in their step, try getting motivated for another ass whomping every week.

I don’t know....he speaks at a lot of athletic programs and also professional athletic organizations.

ilovethecats said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
I wonder if you took a poll of UM players who drank a cup of regular coffee last year and saw how many said yes. Every single one of them would have been consuming a banned supplement according to the NCAA.

:lol:
This is gold...

What’s so funny? It is the truth.

2011BisonAlumni said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
Alright man. I’m done. You get the last word in.

Zero games will be forfeited because a player took a workout supplement recommended from a motivational speaker. Sorry to crush your dreams but it won’t happen.

7 players from JMU got popped for PED’s right after NDSU lost to them in 2016, and the NCAA hasn’t gone and taken away that win.

Haha! Get that NC2A poking around, and you could be very surprised what comes to light. You guys didn't need this catalyst, that's for sure. Chances are, they will turn a blind eye, but the program definitely has a black eye, now. Nobody will call the AD a liar, and nobody will call the player a liar. Someone is lying, and you know it.

Im thinking the AD who said the program doesnt supply supplements is a f***[*] joke. Everyone whos ever played a high school sport knows what programs give you. Hell even in high school they pass out vitamin c tablets.

NCAA would LOOOOOVE to take a crack at a 6 time champion. Was anything done wrong? probably not, but let the NCAA in your doors and they will set up camp and invent shit to make your life hell for the next 5 years.

I think you're missing the point, which comes as no surprise. It's not about what the banned drug is, or whether it should be banned, it's about the circumstances surrounding how the banned player got it. It's also about whether your AD is caught in a big fat lie. In your example, imagine if I was a booster who also had a financial stake in a coffee shop, and I gave my coffee to FB players. I'm pretty sure the NCAA would have an issue with the gift. Ask any of us how we know.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Let's get one thing straight. If Brock didn't think the "supplement" would help his performance on the field he wouldn't have taken it. I'm sure it was pitched to him as a legal performance enhancer. Everybody seems stuck on the NCAA's line in the sand as to how close a PED is to anabolic steroids but regardless of which side of the line it falls on, the players take them because they are told they will enhance their performance. And if you doubt that, tell me how you sell a kid on ingesting a supplement by saying either it won't help his performance or will hurt his performance.

The kids was looking for something beyond food, workouts and practice to help his performance on the field, no more, no less. Mommy thinks that is fine, and so do the coaches/admin. You know, because everybody is doing it.

The vast majority of workout supplements contain caffeine.

He needed to monitor what he was taking. The NCAA lists caffeine as a banned supplement, however they actually have educational material out there suggesting how to limit it in order to not cause a bad test.

It’s up to the player to know what they are putting in their body.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Haha! Get that NC2A poking around, and you could be very surprised what comes to light. You guys didn't need this catalyst, that's for sure. Chances are, they will turn a blind eye, but the program definitely has a black eye, now. Nobody will call the AD a liar, and nobody will call the player a liar. Someone is lying, and you know it.

Im thinking the AD who said the program doesnt supply supplements is a f***[*] joke. Everyone whos ever played a high school sport knows what programs give you. Hell even in high school they pass out vitamin c tablets.

NCAA would LOOOOOVE to take a crack at a 6 time champion. Was anything done wrong? probably not, but let the NCAA in your doors and they will set up camp and invent shit to make your life hell for the next 5 years.

I think you're missing the point, which comes as no surprise. It's not about what the banned drug is, or whether it should be banned, it's about the circumstances surrounding how the banned player got it. It's also about whether your AD is caught in a big fat lie. In your example, imagine if I was a booster who also had a financial stake in a coffee shop, and I gave my coffee to FB players. I'm pretty sure the NCAA would have an issue with the gift. Ask any of us how we know.

Keep digging. You are hitting rock bottom.

Ben Newman is not a booster. Ben Newman is not an employee of NDSU. Ben Newman owns a business. Players can purchase all the fucking supplements they want from a business...they just need to know what they are taking.

Was the mom in the locker room? Was she personally watching the way Brock got the supplement? How do you know he didn’t get it from another student who purchased it from Ben Newman.....again it is not illegal or against NCAA rules for a business man to sell something to a student.

The issue is he took too much caffeine and got popped. Get over it.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Ben Newman is not a booster. Ben Newman is not an employee of NDSU. Ben Newman owns a business. Players can purchase all the fucking supplements they want from a business...they just need to know what they are taking.

Was the mom in the locker room? Was she personally watching the way Brock got the supplement? How do you know he didn’t get it from another student who purchased it from Ben Newman.....again it is not illegal or against NCAA rules for a business man to sell something to a student.

Keep up. I didn't say "purchase".
Also, Ben is/was a representative of your institution's athletic interests, kiddo. He can't give improper benefits to student athletes. That's kinda well settled.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Ben Newman is not a booster. Ben Newman is not an employee of NDSU. Ben Newman owns a business. Players can purchase all the f***[*] supplements they want from a business...they just need to know what they are taking.

Also, Ben is/was a representative of your institution's athletic interests, kiddo. He can't give improper benefits to student athletes. That's kinda well settled.

Boy you sure seem to think you know a lot about the situation for someone with next to zero knowledge about the NDSU football program.

Where, in any news story, was it stated Ben Newman gave supplements to players for nothing? You can “get” something by purchasing it.

Fuck, maybe the NCAA should give NDSU the death sentence the next time a kid purchases an energy drink from Scheels All Sports. After all, they are huge boosters of the program.

Again, keep digging. You are hitting rock bottom.

From Linkedin.See 3d and 4th paras. Who pays him?

"Ben Newman is a highly regarded Performance Coach, International Speaker and Best-Selling Author, whose clients include Fortune 500 companies around the world, business executives, sales organizations and professional athletes in the NFL, PGA, NBA, MLB, UFC and NCAA.

Ben is also a contributor on Forbes.com. (To read his articles please visit Forbes.com and search Ben Newman.)

Ben serves as a Mental Conditioning Coach for the 17-time National Champion Alabama Crimson Tide football team.

In addition, he also serves as the Performance Coach for the record setting 5-straight Division I National Football Champion North Dakota State Bison.

His clients have included: Microsoft, United States Army, Anheuser-Busch InBev, Quicken Loans, Miami Dolphins, MARS Snackfoods, St. Louis Cardinals, Northwestern Mutual, AFA Singapore, Mass Financial Group, Wells Fargo Advisors, Great West Life Canada, Boston Medical Center, Boys & Girls Club of America, St. Croix, Missouri Tigers Basketball, New York Life, The University of Iowa and The Minnesota Vikings…as well as thousands of executives, entrepreneurs, athletes and sales teams from around the globe.

Ben’s authentic, powerful, and engaging presentations have become nationally recognized. He has shared the stage with Jerry Rice, Ray Lewis, Tony Dungy, Colin Powell, Brian Tracy, Ken Blanchard, Jon Gordon, Dr. Jason Selk, Floyd Little, Aeneas Williams, Walt Jocketty and other leaders and legends in the world.

Ben lives in his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri with the true measure of his success, his wife, Ami, and their children, J. Isaac and Kennedy Rose.

You can learn more about Ben at www.BenNewman.net or follow him on Social Media @ContinuedFight"

"Bison Illustrated: What’s your role with the Bison football team?

Ben Newman: “It’s an opportunity to perform in a role as a performance coach with motivation and proven mental training tools that I’ve used with professional and collegiate athletes around the world.”

BI: How did you first get connected with the program?

“I had the opportunity to work with Craig Dahl from the New York Giants over the last few years, he’s a big alum. He and I have a great relationship and he made the introduction to coach (Chris) Klieman and coach (Tyler) Roehl.”

BI: When did these relationships begin?

“It was actually this year (2015). I started my work with the team after the fourth championship and they were looking for that additional fire they could bring to go do what they’ve now done which is to be the first team in the history of college football to win five in a row.”

https://www.bisonillustrated.com/ben-newman-ndsus-secret-weapon/

https://www.bennewman.net

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Ben Newman is not a booster. Ben Newman is not an employee of NDSU. Ben Newman owns a business. Players can purchase all the f***[*] supplements they want from a business...they just need to know what they are taking.

Boy you sure seem to think you know a lot about the situation for someone with next to zero knowledge about the NDSU football program.

Where, in any news story, was it stated Ben Newman gave supplements to players for nothing?

I'm saying IF Big Ben gave the supplement to the banned player for free or at a discount, THEN there is a big problem.

This is a good resource if you want to brush up before making statements like "Ben Newman is not a booster". http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Where, in any news story, was it stated Ben Newman gave supplements to players for nothing?

I'm saying IF Big Ben gave the supplement to the banned player for free or at a discount, THEN there is a big problem.

This is a good resource if you want to brush up before making statements like "Ben Newman is not a booster". http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

All conjecture at this point by you based on the fact you despise the NDSU football program.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I don't know who Ben Newman is. I thought you were saying that a rah rah speaker was the source of the drugs. Are you saying that another student athlete was the source of the drugs, and that the suspended player and his family are all liars?

EDIT: regarding your edit, Benny Newman was a "representative of an institution's athletics interests". Let's assume the entire UNDSU graduating class from 2011 is defending this. It's not a great start.

Zero games will be forfeited because a player took a workout supplement recommended from a motivational speaker. Sorry to crush your dreams but it won’t happen.

7 players from JMU got popped for PED’s right after NDSU lost to them in 2016, and the NCAA hasn’t gone and taken away that win.

Im thinking the AD who said the program doesnt supply supplements is a fucking joke. Everyone whos ever played a high school sport knows what programs give you. Hell even in high school they pass out vitamin c tablets.

Spot on with the second paragraph.
It's beginning to look like it could work out better if it did actually come from within the program rather than a booster, if the booster provided free or discounted supplements to the team.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

All conjecture at this point by you based on the fact you despise the NDSU football program.

How is defining this Ben guy as a booster when he admits he is a booster "all conjecture"?

You're right that it's very possible Ben Newman said, "Hey [suspended athlete], I got the good shit. Clean Victory. Take that stuff. My company makes it. I own it, but you should go to a retail outlet and pay full boat for it."

CDAGRIZ said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Spot on with the second paragraph.
It's beginning to look like it could work out better if it did actually come from within the program rather than a booster, if the booster provided free or discounted supplements to the team.

Bet you just went 0 to 2 inches .

2011BisonAlumni said:
The issue is he took too much caffeine
No, dude. The issue is whether a “Performance Coach” provided student-athletes with performance enhancing drugs.

Keep posting. You’re not losing this argument at all, and you’re starting to convince us all that this is not nearly as bad as our hotdog-gate

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
poorgriz said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
Every college football program in the country has a player who takes an illegal supplement at one point or another. It happens and significant portion of those players do not know what they are taking is illegal. Had a really good friend of mine (went to D2 school) who had a hip surgery, lost a bunch of weight and was taking a supplement suggested by his doctor. Didn't run it through the S&C coach to vet it and he got popped.

To suggest that NDSU, as a program, is getting some big edge is comical...at best.Again, nearly 600 NDSU players at NDSU, since 2010, have been randomly tested in the playoffs by the NCAA, and one got popped for a workout supplement.

It' a crappy deal but nobody was trying to do anything intentional. Brock didn't know it was illegal and the individual who suggested it didn't know as well.

Wait just a minute here, is this for real? Please post those numbers again because they haven't sunk in after the 19th time you've posted them in this thread.

18 players are randomly selected for testing before every playoff game. Yes.

So, how many random tests does that equal since 2010? 250? 300?

Jeezus these guys can spin a yarn. Next thing he'll be peddling is NDSU won four NC's in a row, and five of the last six. :roll:

garizzalies said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
The issue is he took too much caffeine
No, dude. The issue is whether a “Performance Coach” provided student-athletes with performance enhancing drugs.

Keep posting. You’re not losing this argument at all, and you’re starting to convince us all that this is not nearly as bad as our hotdog-gate

Keep pretending this is going to result in anything.

When the University of Montana gives free soda through meal plans, they are providing them with banned supplements according to the NCAA.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Caffeine%20and%20Athletic%20Performance.pdf

It’s why they put out information to players to avoid too much in order to trigger a test. It is up to the player to make sure they know what they are putting in their bodies.

Back