• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Are we prepared for no football this fall?

alabamagrizzly

I’m not sure I am. Sports and entertainment is what brings a lot of distraction and joy from the daily dredge of our lives. At some point I think we have to come back to a “normal” if this doesn’t go away. I’d hate to see sporting events sacrificed due to this but it may be part of our new norm.

I doubt it. We may not have a football season this year, but once they find a vaccine it’ll be back. A COVID-19 vaccination will likely be required as an immunization requirement to get into college. Just like measles, mumps, and rubella. And I’d be willing to guess many employers would strongly recommend it as well.

Here's a good discussion of this topic by a PhD epidemiologist who specializes in sports. My own opinion: we probably won't have on campus classes until we have a vaccine, which is probably not coming until early next year, at the earliest. No on campus classes, no sports.
nflinjuryanalytics.com/2020/04/17/covid-19-how-can-sports-come--back/

If there ever was a time for there to be an NCAA video game, this is it. God I wish that EA could bring back NCAA Football.

Griz til I die said:
I doubt it. We may not have a football season this year, but once they find a vaccine it’ll be back. A COVID-19 vaccination will likely be required as an immunization requirement to get into college. Just like measles, mumps, and rubella. And I’d be willing to guess many employers would strongly recommend it as well.

But...Autism!!

Griz til I die said:

A couple pieces of data and a thought.

There are rumblings in Missoula that K-12 may open before the end of the school year. Same with gym re-openings coming in the next couple weeks.

I wonder if the virus did cause colleges to remain shut into the fall and beyond, and then presumably sports too, if some colleges would drop sports, or drop some sports. At some point, it will be too expensive to maintain the bulk of the athletic department. What about coaches if they aren't coaching. Schools would be hurting for cash and funding, and need to cut big pieces. I'm not predicting it will get to this, and I'm optimistic for fall sports, but who knows.

PlayerRep said:
Griz til I die said:

There are rumblings in Missoula that K-12 may open before the end of the school year. Same with gym re-openings coming in the next couple weeks.

I wonder if the virus did cause colleges to remain shut into the fall and beyond, and then presumably sports too, if some colleges would drop sports, or drop some sports. At some point, it will be too expensive to maintain the bulk of the athletic department. What about coaches if they aren't coaching. Schools would be hurting for cash and funding, and need to cut big pieces. I'm not predicting it will get to this, and I'm optimistic for fall sports, but who knows.

This could make UM particularly vulnerable because so much of the athletic department’s funding is tied to ticket sales and other gameday spending. I doubt schools like UNC will feel the crunch as hard because they are used to not having fans...

PlayerRep said:
Griz til I die said:

I know the University of Cincinnati has discontinued their Men's Soccer program due to the bolded above. I feel like I've heard rumblings about doing similar at other schools, but I don't know if that has actually happened or not.

Link to news article:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...-discontinues-mens-soccer-program/2988656001/ and blurb below:
John Cunningham, the Director of Athletics at the University of Cincinnati, announced the school will discontinue its men's soccer program, effective immediately, on Tuesday.

The financial uncertainty caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic played a role in ending the program, Cunningham said, but it wasn't the only reason. He recently reviewed the long-term budget implications of the athletics department and the decision to cut the men's soccer program was determined late last week.

Link to some social media reactions due to cuts: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...s-discontinue-mens-soccer-program/2989663001/

I will be in my tailgate spot this fall in lot M. I may be alone, but dammit I will be there.

PlayerRep said:
Griz til I die said:

I know UM has given incoming freshmen the option of completing their freshmen year online next year, regardless of if we’re able to continue in person instruction or not. I had heard the college football playoff committee say that for there to be a season, there needs to be students on campus. But the only place I’ve heard that is in sportscenter. Nobody else has reported that. I think it’s all gonna come down to if we can get kids back on campus in the fall or not.

We'll be fine for one year, but if this goes on any longer then the athletic departments budget will be in trouble. I’d there’s no sports next year it’ll be ok since the AD doesn’t generate any revenue in sports that aren’t football. We'll save money, by not spending any on all the other sports.

BozAngelesGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

But...Autism!!
Don’t even get me started on that. :lol:

reinell30 said:
I will be in my tailgate spot this fall in lot M. I may be alone, but dammit I will be there.

Then, I will bike over for every tailgate, whether or not there is a game. Instead of inviting every 10th person who walks by, to stop for a drink, you can invite everyone who's walk by, if any do.

PlayerRep said:
Griz til I die said:

I don't get why they would try and open K-12 back up this year... No way you can have social distancing (something they said will still have to happen if schools open back up) while teachers will have to re-plan all the lessons that they planned for Home learning. On top of that, trying to keep kids attention after they have been at home away from all social activity for so long. Going back to when I was in school, the last 2-3 weeks was pretty much just movies, and going over anything we may have missed, so really they are putting them back in school to learn for 2 weeks. Just doesn't make sense to me.

The silver lining would be we wouldn't have to witness the great griz slayer jeff choate put another ass stomping on the griz.

If there isn't a football season this year our entire society will be 10 times worse off than what the effects of the virus are.

SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:

I don't get why they would try and open K-12 back up this year... No way you can have social distancing (something they said will still have to happen if schools open back up) while teachers will have to re-plan all the lessons that they planned for Home learning. On top of that, trying to keep kids attention after they have been at home away from all social activity for so long. Going back to when I was in school, the last 2-3 weeks was pretty much just movies, and going over anything we may have missed, so really they are putting them back in school to learn for 2 weeks. Just doesn't make sense to me.

The counterpoint is that most kids, especially pre-high school, would be excited to be back at school. Maybe even high school. While there wouldn't be huge learning, it would be good to re-connect and regroup for next fall. It would be good for morale, at a minimum, and then the school year would end in a normal way. Don't think teachers have online lesson plans planned much in advance. My wife's a second grade teacher. I think she'd welcome being able to finish the school year with the kids.

I keep looking and asking for data as to whether there is any known virus spread in K-12 or K-8. If anyone sees anything, post it.

PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:

The counterpoint is that most kids, especially pre-high school, would be excited to be back at school. Maybe even high school. While there wouldn't be huge learning, it would be good to re-connect and regroup for next fall. It would be good for morale, at a minimum, and then the school year would end in a normal way. Don't think teachers have online lesson plans planned much in advance. My wife's a second grade teacher. I think she'd welcome being able to finish the school year with the kids.

I keep looking and asking for data as to whether there is any known virus spread in K-12 or K-8. If anyone sees anything, post it.

True indeed...

I see a lot of colleges waiting to see how the next month or so plays out with states easing restrictions, as well as other countries. If there's a huge spike in cases, which leads to another economic shut-down, I could see colleges allowing online-only courses and no fall sports. I just don't see how a nation can survive by not allowing students into schools, and I believe there will be students in schools this fall. Allowing fans at games is a mystery, which we could see being limited, or no fans and TV-only audiences. It'll be interesting...

...there are only two things for sure this fall...
...reinell will be in his tailgate spot...
...the sun will rise in the east...

... :shock: ...

#15 Fan said:
I see a lot of colleges waiting to see how the next month or so plays out with states easing restrictions, as well as other countries. If there's a huge spike in cases, which leads to another economic shut-down, I could see colleges allowing online-only courses and no fall sports. I just don't see how a nation can survive by not allowing students into schools, and I believe there will be students in schools this fall. Allowing fans at games is a mystery, which we could see being limited, or no fans and TV-only audiences. It'll be interesting...
My thoughts too. And it will depend upon the definition of "huge spike," I think ... and that, in turn, will depend upon local conditions, plus the attitudes of the politicians in each area.

BTW: For those who are hard over on "don't put profits ahead of people" : You do realize that the single largest outlay for just about any business is for salaries and benefits to employees? (Or maybe not.) Another biggie for many retail businesses are transportation costs -- and a big chunk of that is paying all those truck-drivers and fork-lift operators. With only a few exceptions, those outlays (costs) dwarf the profits from that business. But that's money going out to people, as wages, insurance, and so on. JSYK: The net profit margin for Krogers and Safeway is typically less than 2%.

Back