• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Are we prepared for no football this fall?

Not on football, just on MSU, other than this: "No decisions have yet been made on the football season, decisions that will have to be coordinated with the NCAA and Big Sky Conference."

"Virus could mean boom or bust for Montana State this fall"

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/coronavirus/virus-could-mean-boom-or-bust-for-montana-state-this-fall/article_22afeb5f-92f6-59d3-bf1f-de97cbb0e6bd.html

I hate to be a Debbie-downer but

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/us/universities-athletic-programs-coronavirus/index.html

Has anyone seen an article discussing anyone in or involved with college sports, who got the virus from college sports and died? While not the same, I saw an article saying that a person 75 or older had a 10,000 greater chance of dying from the virus, than a 15 year old.

I understand there's an issue with crowds/stadiums. And maybe that will result in fewer or no fans. But, if it's possible, from a financial point of view, for a school to play college football/sports with few or no fans, then it just doesn't seem that risky to me. Older and less healthy coaches would have to protect themselves, with the help of the program, and make their own decisions. No one would be forced to play football.

I think the risk of a football playing dying or being seriously hurt medically from the virus, is way less than dying from a head injury, heat exhaustion or something like that.

PlayerRep said:
Has anyone seen an article discussing anyone in or involved with college sports, who got the virus from college sports and died? While not the same, I saw an article saying that a person 75 or older had a 10,000 greater chance of dying from the virus, than a 15 year old.

I understand there's an issue with crowds/stadiums. And maybe that will result in fewer or no fans. But, if it's possible, from a financial point of view, for a school to play college football/sports with few or no fans, then it just doesn't seem that risky to me. Older and less healthy coaches would have to protect themselves, with the help of the program, and make their own decisions. No one would be forced to play football.

I think the risk of a football playing dying or being seriously hurt medically from the virus, is way less than dying from a head injury, heat exhaustion or something like that.

Death is not the only issue. There has been reports of increased strokes among young people which I think would be enough to cause great concern for athletes, their parents and the University.

https://www.tctmd.com/news/stroke-surge-young-fuels-debate-over-covid-19s-culpability

And, of course, if their was a breakout of infections among the team - even without severe consequences such as strokes and/or death, the whole team may have to be quarantined completely. This is doable for a pro team that has the resources ($) to accomplish this but presents unique problems for Colleges. If half the team tests positive will you just play the rest of the schedule with the other half? 1/4th of the team? 10 players? Are the other teams you play willing to play you if you have a breakout of Covid-19?

This is a relatively new disease/pathogen. Not a lot is definitive. And that is one of the difficulties with knowing how to act or react. Luckily, because of so many great scientists we have in today's modern world that we are learning a lot about this disease every day. Many people are able to be kept from death that would have died years ago. But we still have a long way to go.

PlayerRep said:

And, of course, if you have a head injury and cough or breathe inches away from me, I am not going to catch that head injury.

behappp said:
PlayerRep said:

Death is not the only issue. There has been reports of increased strokes among young people which I think would be enough to cause great concern for athletes, their parents and the University.

https://www.tctmd.com/news/stroke-surge-young-fuels-debate-over-covid-19s-culpability

And, of course, if their was a breakout of infections among the team - even without severe consequences such as strokes and/or death, the whole team may have to be quarantined completely. This is doable for a pro team that has the resources ($) to accomplish this but presents unique problems for Colleges. If half the team tests positive will you just play the rest of the schedule with the other half? 1/4th of the team? 10 players? Are the other teams you play willing to play you if you have a breakout of Covid-19?

This is a relatively new disease/pathogen. Not a lot is definitive. And that is one of the difficulties with knowing how to act or react. Luckily, because of so many great scientists we have in today's modern world that we are learning a lot about this disease every day. Many people are able to be kept from death that would have died years ago. But we still have a long way to go.

From the article you linked:

“ Focusing on younger patients in particular, he and his colleagues wrote a case series published in the New England Journal of Medicine describing five patients ages 33 to 49 who presented with large-vessel strokes between March 23 and April 7 and were ultimately diagnosed with severe SARS-CoV-2 infection.”

Don’t think the Griz have any players in the 33-49 range.

behappp said:
PlayerRep said:

And, of course, if you have a head injury and cough or breathe inches away from me, I am not going to catch that head injury.

If you have a serious head injury in football, you could die.

Don’t think you could be infected by a player by attending a game or watching on tv.

Do you think college football players are more
likely to be infected playing football, as opposed to hanging with friends, going to bars, or going
to parties? I think players who are playing would be more careful off the field, would be tested, would be monitored and supervised, and aren’t likely to be
Infected on the field.

kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:
I hate to be a Debbie-downer but

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/us/universities-athletic-programs-coronavirus/index.html
Of course, CNN.

please don't post your political idiocies on this board. there is another board for that, as you like to point out when someone posts something you disagree with. thank you.

Back