• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Are we prepared for no football this fall?

Does your opinion change now that we are starting to re-open non-essential areas of the economy?
Mine doesn't, I was always going to be in the stands as soon as the gates opened.

Football may be back, if so.......

Will the fans be back?

The aging out of our fan base will effect number of folks in WaGriz

Perhaps football will only be seen via tv, both college and pro

Wow, reading this thread is depressing. I wholeheartedly believe that there will be a resurgence of SARS-COV2 this fall but there will still be a football season with fans in the stands.

indian-outlaw said:
Wow, reading this thread is depressing. I wholeheartedly believe that there will be a resurgence of SARS-COV2 this fall but there will still be a football season with fans in the stands.

Your post is depressing.

"College Sports Are Unlikely Until Students Return to Campuses

Although athletic departments are desperate to resume competition, especially in football, it’s becoming increasingly clear that schools have to reopen first"

"Now university athletic officials, fearing lost revenue as football season comes into view, are desperate to let athletes be among the first to return. But a stubborn reality is settling in. With universities extending campus closures through the end of summer, it’s becoming clear that there will be no sports until institutions are ready to repopulate the entire campus.

“The most pressing issue is to get our schools back open. Plain and simple,” said Mid-American Conference commissioner Jon Steinbrecher. Sun Belt commissioner Keith Gill added: “The decision to get our campuses to some point of what seems like normal operations is key to whether or not we’ll be able to find a path to have our sports as we know them. At the end of the day we are inextricably linked.”

Athletic departments are desperate to resume competition, especially in football. Initially, ideas flew around involving teams quarantining themselves on closed campuses over the summer and staging televised games in empty stadiums to preserve media rights revenue. College football coaches expressed hope that they’d be practicing as usual in July. Some doctors suggested that universities could use athletes as guinea pigs, bringing them back to campus in small numbers before the entire student body is cleared to return.

“It would almost be a dry run for bringing students back to campus,” said Dr. Jeffrey Dugas, an orthopedic surgeon in Birmingham, Ala., and member of the NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports. “[Athletes] are a much smaller number and would give the university a chance to test their resources and test their processes before they have an influx of thousands upon thousands of students.”

But that idea was deflated last week when Vice President Mike Pence asked NCAA Division I conference commissioners and leadership from the College Football Playoff what it would take for football to resume. The message to Pence was clear: until universities deem it safe for all of their students to return to dorms and lecture halls, athletes should not be welcome.

Before students can come flooding back by the tens of thousands in the fall, universities will likely have to develop “emergency action plans” in the event that someone on campus tests positive for the coronavirus, said Dr. Dugas. He predicted that universities may have to overhaul their sanitation procedures to reassure anxious students and faculty returning from all parts of the country and the world.

Even if universities can put public health contingency plans in place in time to reopen for the fall term, college sports face another snag: the homebound athletes are probably out of shape. Although strength and conditioning coaches have been producing bespoke at-home workouts, those only go so far."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-sports-are-unlikely-until-students-return-to-campuses-11587722400?mod=mhp

I hate to say it folks but I think we may see college sports as a whole completely changed once all is said and done. Especially within the group of 5, FCS and other lower levels. Title IX maybe be something of the past as I think a vast majority of Olympic sports go away for good if not a very long while. Same could be said for colleges with sports programs that just don’t make money. Additionally, we could see sports go away all together at some colleges. Prime example could be PSU and maybe even a few other BSC schools. I could see the BSC looking vastly different. Heck maybe entirely different conference alignments all together.

Let’s just hope that UM and MSU can keep Football, men’s and women’s basketball!

I would like to say that things will return to normal, but something inside of me just doesn’t think so as colleges will be strapped for funds trying to stay afloat.

I believe another concern will be once campuses do open up how many students will or can return? Especially those that have parents paying there way where the parent/s may not have jobs and or jobs that paid as well. Even those students that took out loans may not be able to return right away if they are trying to help make ends meet for there families and taking on jobs to do so.

There is much more in life that is far more important that sports. However, sports brings us all together as a sports family. It’s an opportunity to put simple differences aside and to unite as a large group. The thought of sports gives us hope, a sense of normalcy in an unknown time or future.

This pandemic shall pass, but will leave a far different life than what all of us had been accustomed to in some form or fashion. Let’s hope for work for those without, and that the loss of life is far less than what has been predicted.

Stay healthy Griz nation!

Go Griz!

Orgon, I share your concerns. That's how I left several weeks ago. But now, I am more (preliminarily and cautiously) optimistic. Here's the reason.

Numbers are looking better, for now, as I thought they would.

But what has made me more optimistic, are the following:

most colleges, other than perhaps really rich ones, need to get open in fall to get the highest amount of tuition, etc. that they can (otherwise some will not make it;

professional sports will look hard to figure out how to get going as soon as they can (they have money and motivation) and pave the way;

I just don't see the risk in practicing and playing college sports (as opposed to big crowds in stadiums); and

the risk of being very sick or dying is almost all in old people (like me) and those with underlying health conditions (so this demographic may stay home, but they will be watching).

This Denver Post writer does a decent job explaining how difficult it is to develop talent and I'm perplexed by the star ratings. For what it's worth, I still can't figure out why the hell the old WAC minds expanded the way they did and how come Colorado AND Utah are in the PAC 12.
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/04/26/pac-12-winners-losers-trends-and-takeaways-from-the-2020-nfl-draft/

Here's a viewpoint from what I personally consider the apex of college football.
https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check/shouldn-put-college-football-players-risk-covid/zsu50BEAFVtTYhjkiPxlfP/

OrgonGriz said:
I hate to say it folks but I think we may see college sports as a whole completely changed once all is said and done. Especially within the group of 5, FCS and other lower levels. Title IX maybe be something of the past as I think a vast majority of Olympic sports go away for good if not a very long while. Same could be said for colleges with sports programs that just don’t make money. Additionally, we could see sports go away all together at some colleges. Prime example could be PSU and maybe even a few other BSC schools. I could see the BSC looking vastly different. Heck maybe entirely different conference alignments all together.

Let’s just hope that UM and MSU can keep Football, men’s and women’s basketball!

I would like to say that things will return to normal, but something inside of me just doesn’t think so as colleges will be strapped for funds trying to stay afloat.

I believe another concern will be once campuses do open up how many students will or can return? Especially those that have parents paying there way where the parent/s may not have jobs and or jobs that paid as well. Even those students that took out loans may not be able to return right away if they are trying to help make ends meet for there families and taking on jobs to do so.

There is much more in life that is far more important that sports. However, sports brings us all together as a sports family. It’s an opportunity to put simple differences aside and to unite as a large group. The thought of sports gives us hope, a sense of normalcy in an unknown time or future.

This pandemic shall pass, but will leave a far different life than what all of us had been accustomed to in some form or fashion. Let’s hope for work for those without, and that the loss of life is far less than what has been predicted.

Go Griz!
This is a very nervous post. Things will return to normal at some point Orgon. Sports will not forever change. I think you’ll see that overall, when more and more antibody tests are done and reveal all the people who had it and never knew about it, is staggering. The rate of infection will be much high then any of us thought, but those who have symptoms, ends up being a very low number with the death rate being an even lower number.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/04/26/health/can-antibody-tests-help-end-the-coronavirus-pandemic.amp.html

Here is what the spanish soccer league is doing to reopen. It's a standard way beyond what one might expect from college sports:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/sports/coronavirus-spain-soccer-return-la-liga.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

I suppose by fall the level precaution outlined in the article may no longer be needed, but that seems like a big jump.

OrgonGriz said:

Go Griz!

I know I am certainly in the minority here from posting my sentiments about this before. I agree that the FCS and lower levels of football will be effected from this corona virus and the new norms that may come along with it. Although I am not sure why Title IX would be changed I do think some drastic changes may be coming, because of the funding shortcomings of some of these sports, mainly football. This may be a good thing as far as I am concerned.
I think it is time to do the right thing for the student athlete instead of just padding the pockets of the NCAA and the university systems on the backs of the young men playing football. Very few people have played football at a high level and have an understanding of what is actually happening on the field. Fans have become completely desensitized to what they see when they are snarfing hot wings and drinking beer. The vast majority of the athletes that play football at this level will leave the game with a lifelong injury and nothing to show for it besides some memories and if they are lucky some scholarship money. Football players at this level are athletes first and students second. As young men they unknowingly pay a heavy price for the sake of the schools, businesses, NCAA and fan entertainment. We have all become so football nuts in this country that we have lost sight of what the spirit of the student athlete really is.
The collegiate opportunities for hockey, wrestling, baseball, gymnastics and swimming are largely gone. I love griz football and football in general as much as anyone but I can call a spade a spade. I would love to see some support for the true student athletes and not just the worship of the semi-pro farm system of the NFL like we currently have.

PlayerRep said:
Orgon, I share your concerns. That's how I left several weeks ago. But now, I am more (preliminarily and cautiously) optimistic. Here's the reason.

Numbers are looking better, for now, as I thought they would.

But what has made me more optimistic, are the following:

most colleges, other than perhaps really rich ones, need to get open in fall to get the highest amount of tuition, etc. that they can (otherwise some will not make it;

professional sports will look hard to figure out how to get going as soon as they can (they have money and motivation) and pave the way;

I just don't see the risk in practicing and playing college sports (as opposed to big crowds in stadiums); and

the risk of being very sick or dying is almost all in old people (like me) and those with underlying health conditions (so this demographic may stay home, but they will be watching).
I'm also optimistic, but obviously the major risk to getting sports going and getting students on campus isn't necessarily to the students themselves, but to the extended family members and others in society they'll then come into contact with (while keeping in mind that healthy young adults can indeed also die themselves, albeit at much lower rates).

OrgonGriz said:

Go Griz!

Valid concerns. I think to some degree some FCS schools may be better setup to weather this than we think, and perhaps even moreso than the lower-end FBS schools. WSU, for example, runs a razor-thin budget every year, and the loss of sports for any period of time may in fact impact them more severely, where the revenue lost is rapidly in the tens of millions and they have millions upon millions in salaries and building debt to contend with.

Mtn_Griz said:
OrgonGriz said:

Go Griz!

Valid concerns. I think to some degree some FCS schools may be better setup to weather this than we think, and perhaps even moreso than the lower-end FBS schools. WSU, for example, runs a razor-thin budget every year, and the loss of sports for any period of time may in fact impact them more severely, where the revenue lost is rapidly in the tens of millions and they have millions upon millions in salaries and building debt to contend with.

The UM budget is thinner than a razor.

Back