• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Are we prepared for no football this fall?

in the 406 sports interview Dr. Vince Huntsberger put forth these words:

“We can’t take that risk yet. We’re not there yet. We don’t have a good understanding of the prevalence, how much is out there, or how it acts. We’re still learning so much about the coronavirus.”

Huntsberger isn’t ready to call off the college football season yet, believing there could be those advancements by the time preseason practices and camps would normally begin in August. He’s optimistic but still cautious.

“I think it’s too far out for people to cancel that yet,” he said. “I think we’d be back, but I’ve never been through a pandemic, and I’ve never seen anything like the coronavirus. Time will tell. We’re still not at that point where we can test rapidly and know what people have.

“You can’t put 25,000 people in Washington-Griz stadium, and if there’s 100 of them as asymptomatic carriers, what you’re going to get is a whole bunch of people sick in a very short period of time. That’s not a safe thing to do. I would hope by then we’ll have a good idea of what we’re dealing with and be able to loosen the social distancing and get back to mass gatherings and enjoy our lives like we have before this showed up.”
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm prepared if there is no Griz football this fall. I would go to northern Italy for the fall. Assume prices would be unusually low. I was planning to go this summer. Had plans to see Italy play Switzerland in Rome in the Euro Cup in mid June.

Are “we” prepared? Depends on who “we” are.
But essentially the answer is no.
We fans aren’t.
The student-athletes aren’t.

But I don’t think we’re gonna have football until there’s either a vaccine or some combination of methods to ensure the safety of the players, coaches, staff and everyone else involved with putting on a season. When that will be is really just a guess. My guess is not this year. And as much as I’ll miss it, I would strongly support calling it off if we can’t protect the students and everyone else involved.

Proud Griz Man said:
in the 406 sports interview Dr. Vince Huntsberger put forth these words:

“We can’t take that risk yet. We’re not there yet. We don’t have a good understanding of the prevalence, how much is out there, or how it acts. We’re still learning so much about the coronavirus.”

Huntsberger isn’t ready to call off the college football season yet, believing there could be those advancements by the time preseason practices and camps would normally begin in August. He’s optimistic but still cautious.

“I think it’s too far out for people to cancel that yet,” he said. “I think we’d be back, but I’ve never been through a pandemic, and I’ve never seen anything like the coronavirus. Time will tell. We’re still not at that point where we can test rapidly and know what people have.

“You can’t put 25,000 people in Washington-Griz stadium, and if there’s 100 of them as asymptomatic carriers, what you’re going to get is a whole bunch of people sick in a very short period of time. That’s not a safe thing to do. I would hope by then we’ll have a good idea of what we’re dealing with and be able to loosen the social distancing and get back to mass gatherings and enjoy our lives like we have before this showed up.”
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Well that’s good that he’s optimistic. If anyone would know, it’s him. I hope he’s right.

So what is the "Line in the sand" date? What date needs to be set for everyone to move forward, and be able to prepare?

**For schools to open up this year (k-12 like we talked about earlier) I would say May 1st needs to be the day they start back up, anything after that is to late.

**For College classes I think it is July 1st that they need to say they will open back up for the fall

**For College Football/fall Sports, I would say July 17th at the latest.

Wondering: assuming that fall Sports doesn’t happen, maybe winter too in the Big Sky.
Could Root sports expand its channel listing to local universities without cable or satellite obligations? Then, ticket holders who have season tickets paid for, thus supporting university programs, would have access to all programs. Others would be pay for viewing at a high enough charge similar to ticket sales. Otherwise, all schools would lose coaches, players, and no way to continue. Obviously, I know nothing about broadcasting capabilities, especially at the FCS level.

SACCAT66 said:
So what is the "Line in the sand" date? What date needs to be set for everyone to move forward, and be able to prepare?

**For schools to open up this year (k-12 like we talked about earlier) I would say May 1st needs to be the day they start back up, anything after that is to late.

**For College classes I think it is July 1st that they need to say they will open back up for the fall

**For College Football/fall Sports, I would say July 17th at the latest.
I was wondering if more testing is done, specifically the antibody testing; if that makes a difference in sports and entertainment going forward. I ask because I saw that another study in California suggests that as many as 440,000 people were inflicted and didn't know it. This is the second such study done and they're going to conduct more in other areas. While it's obviously too early, if it is found that this is the case in many areas, doesn't that completely change things? Or am I being too optimistic?

Seems to me that if we learn that far more people have been positive, this means the virus is far less deadly correct? Or even far less to even hospitalize a person? Unless I am missing something. Wouldn't that essentially be a green light for sports and music and other entertainment to get rolling again?

Need argh or some other smart guys to chime in here....

Three things necessary to even remotely think of attending a fall football game.
1. Vaccine
2. Testing
3. Students on campus

Not to mention whether or Colorado, Utah, California, Oregon, and Washington will be open for business. Without them we have no Conference. My question is will Akem, Toure Humphrey etc.. get another year to play?

Grizzoola said:
I don't see why, if everyone wore a mask, that there would have to be social distancing.

only if you are talking n95 masks, which, if properly fitted, make it hard to breath, and protective googles, which are uncomfortable. both can be uncomfortable to wear, as well. and what about the football players? if they had to wear that stuff, their ability to perform at a high level would undoubtedly be compromised. then you have to factor in the temperature. if it is hot out...

argh! said:
Grizzoola said:
I don't see why, if everyone wore a mask, that there would have to be social distancing.

only if you are talking n95 masks, which, if properly fitted, make it hard to breath, and protective googles, which are uncomfortable. both can be uncomfortable to wear, as well. and what about the football players? if they had to wear that stuff, their ability to perform at a high level would undoubtedly be compromised. then you have to factor in the temperature. if it is hot out...
My understanding is face masks are to protect others from you, not you from others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgical_mask " ... is intended to be worn by health professionals during surgery and during nursing to catch the bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose.They are not designed to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne bacteria or virus particles ...."

So, if everyone wore even a homemade face mask, that would be sufficient to protect others. This is what, as you know, makes this virus different from the flu: You don't know if you have it, initially, but you can infect others. As to players wearing masks on the field, of course this is impractical, so they shouldn't wear them on the field, since they, the coaches and staff would all be tested before entering the stadium. IOW, no one enters the stadium w/o a mask. BTW, Griz face masks would sell like hotcakes! :D

Grizzoola said:
argh! said:
My understanding is face masks are to protect others from you, not you from others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgical_mask " ... is intended to be worn by health professionals during surgery and during nursing to catch the bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose.They are not designed to protect the wearer from inhaling airborne bacteria or virus particles ...."

So, if everyone wore even a homemade face mask, that would be sufficient to protect others. This is what, as you know, makes this virus different from the flu: You don't know if you have it, initially, but you can infect others. As to players wearing masks on the field, of course this is impractical, so they shouldn't wear them on the field, since they, the coaches and staff would all be tested before entering the stadium. IOW, no one enters the stadium w/o a mask. BTW, Griz face masks would sell like hotcakes! :D

seems to me you over estimate the tolerance of the average human being to stuff like wearing masks. how many people will pull down their masks to eat popcorn, drink beer, yell that little bit louder at the refs, then pull it back up, and act as if nothing happened? if there were, say, 50 unknowingly infected people in the stadium, i highly doubt one or more of them wouldn't spread the virus. then, you have the issue of the tailgates, etc... you are right that facemasks would reduce spread, but given the totality of what is involved in going to a griz game, i think that there would be a good chance it would significantly increase the spread.

argh! said:
Grizzoola said:

seems to me you over estimate the tolerance of the average human being to stuff like wearing masks. how many people will pull down their masks to eat popcorn, drink beer, yell that little bit louder at the refs, then pull it back up, and act as if nothing happened? if there were, say, 50 unknowingly infected people in the stadium, i highly doubt one or more of them would spread the virus. then, you have the issue of the tailgates, etc... you are right that facemasks would reduce spread, but given the totality of what is involved in going to a griz game, i think that there would be a good chance it would significantly increase the spread.

and all the high 5 contact after we score sure isn't going to help.

fanofzoo said:
argh! said:
seems to me you over estimate the tolerance of the average human being to stuff like wearing masks. how many people will pull down their masks to eat popcorn, drink beer, yell that little bit louder at the refs, then pull it back up, and act as if nothing happened? if there were, say, 50 unknowingly infected people in the stadium, i highly doubt one or more of them would spread the virus. then, you have the issue of the tailgates, etc... you are right that facemasks would reduce spread, but given the totality of what is involved in going to a griz game, i think that there would be a good chance it would significantly increase the spread.

wonder if bobby's butt pats, or arm around the neck because the shoulder pads are too high for his reach will be legal? how many yards will the penalty be? i can see the neck penalty touching penalty, but how likely are you to catch the virus by patting someone's butt? tough questions.

fanofzoo said:
argh! said:

Well, then, no more football. :eek:

I really think we need to be honest with ourselves. If there is any season at all, it will likely be TV only with no fans in the stands. While none of us know what is going to happen, do you honestly see the NCAA undertaking the MASSIVE LIABILITY it would be to field a regular season?

While the financial blow of playing with no fans or not playing at all would be massive, the result of scores of fans and players potentially getting COVID would be the end of sports as we know it. Just from a pure legal standpoint, the financial liability of spectators and athletes dying makes it highly improbable that we see anything resembling normalcy in the absence of a vaccine.

gotgame75 said:
I really think we need to be honest with ourselves. If there is any season at all, it will likely be TV only with no fans in the stands. While none of us know what is going to happen, do you honestly see the NCAA undertaking the MASSIVE LIABILITY it would be to field a regular season?

While the financial blow of playing with no fans or not playing at all would be massive, the result of scores of fans and players potentially getting COVID would be the end of sports as we know it. Just from a pure legal standpoint, the financial liability of spectators and athletes dying makes it highly improbable that we see anything resembling normalcy in the absence of a vaccine.

Why would the NCAA be liable if they allowed a football season?

Why would players get Covid (and presumably not dying, as young people mostly don't die from it) would be the end of sports as we know it?

Serious questions. I don't understand what you are saying.

Thx.

When will the NCAA make a decision as to if we will have a season or not? Anyone know the answer to this? I think they know what they want, they're just not putting it out to the public. It is time to make a decision!

The thing I keep coming back to is the German soccer league is planning on playing without fans thru year end. Why would (for example) Washington Grizzly Stadium be significantly safer than the german soccer stadiums?

Some athletic directors takes.

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/99-of-athletic-directors-think-the-2020-college-football-season-will-happen/

Back