• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vim's 2019 Montana High School Football Recruiting List

grizpack said:
dayday said:
VimSince03 said:
For only being 5'10", 165 lbs., Ryder may be the heaviest hitter in next year's Montana class. An extremely competitive kid.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NW_Spotlight/status/965680927488688129[/tweet]

Tough as nails. I hope he gets a shot at the FCS level at least a small partial or PWO. He has good closing speed and will tackle anyone. UM has a few undersized safeties with toughness and grit do well here. I hope he gets that shot.

Coach's kid. Never out of position. Dad and brother both went to Rocky, so would assume that is where he will end up if he doesn't get an FCS shot.

His best two plays start at the 2:34 mark. The first play he reads run, takes the proper angle, and washes the play to the sidelines with a strong finish. On the very next play, he is the only one not fooled by the reverse, gets left on an island with a good athlete, wraps up (no need for a big hit), and ends the play for minimal gain.

Son of one of the very best coaches in the state. Always tough for an undersized small school prospect to get many looks, but maybe he isn't done growing? Wouldn't be disappointed if he was given a walk on shot.

Hey Vim

What’s your take on Holden Sampson does he have a shot at the Griz or the cats? And is he more of a PWO instead of some money being thrown at him.

mtgrizzly said:
Hey Vim

What’s your take on Holden Sampson does he have a shot at the Griz or the cats? And is he more of a PWO instead of some money being thrown at him.

I'm really high on him. Another coaches kid. He's about 6'2-6'3, 230-40 lbs. and plays offensive line the right way. Outstanding feet, has a mean streak, has a college-level pass-pro set, hand-strike power/timing are solid, and he pulls with an attitude. The only negatives I see are common ones for high school lineman: plays too high and lunges at defenders from time to time. His most impressive attribute is his pass protection. Not many high school lineman understand the nuances of pass pro, especially as a tackle. But Holden has obviously put in the work. He gets set quickly after the snap, uses his hands first instead of his body, stays loose/flexible (footwork), and doesn't drop his head on impact. His first play in his junior highlight film, he goes against Alaric Greil from Capital (one of the best d-lineman in the state) and ends the pass rush immediately because of all the things listed in the prior sentence. As a run blocker, he shows plenty of attitude/strength and keeps his feet moving on impact but needs to drop his rear-end more to give himself better balance and push on the line.

Holden's family includes former MSU All-Big Sky/All-American center Shaun Sampson. Shaun had to take the walk-on route to the FCS level because of his size coming out of high school. If the Cats or Griz value everything I spoke about above, Holden should at least receive a partial. If he was 6'5" or 6'6", bigger schools would likely come knocking. He has all the tools to be a successful FCS guard, center, or right tackle.

Right now I see three solid lineman recruits for the 2019 class: Garrison Poetzl (Billings Senior), Holden Sampson (Helena High), and Connor Paul (Billings West). The key difference with Holden is that he only plays on the offensive line while the other two are excellent defensive tackles. Doesn't make Holden a lesser recruit because obviously his focus has been on the offensive line because he has the best technique out of the three. Garrison is all aggression and power (it shows when he plays on the d-line) while Connor is a brute at guard.

Can someone please post the full list of top 100 under recruited kids, or whatever it’s called. I can’t seem to open it.
Thankee sai

garizzalies said:
Can someone please post the full list of top 100 under recruited kids, or whatever it’s called. I can’t seem to open it.
Thankee sai

I didn't see the actual list posted anywhere but here is the link:

https://twitter.com/NW_Spotlight/status/964560710670868480

VimSince03 said:
mtgrizzly said:
Hey Vim

I'm really high on him. Another coaches kid. He's about 6'2-6'3, 230-40 lbs. and plays offensive line the right way. Outstanding feet, has a mean streak, has a college-level pass-pro set, hand-strike power/timing are solid, and he pulls with an attitude. The only negatives I see are common ones for high school lineman: plays too high and lunges at defenders from time to time. His most impressive attribute is his pass protection. Not many high school lineman understand the nuances of pass pro, especially as a tackle. But Holden has obviously put in the work. He gets set quickly after the snap, uses his hands first instead of his body, stays loose/flexible (footwork), and doesn't drop his head on impact. His first play in his junior highlight film, he goes against Alaric Greil from Capital (one of the best d-lineman in the state) and ends the pass rush immediately because of all the things listed in the prior sentence. As a run blocker, he shows plenty of attitude/strength and keeps his feet moving on impact but needs to drop his rear-end more to give himself better balance and push on the line.

Holden's family includes former MSU All-Big Sky/All-American center Shaun Sampson. Shaun had to take the walk-on route to the FCS level because of his size coming out of high school. If the Cats or Griz value everything I spoke about above, Holden should at least receive a partial. If he was 6'5" or 6'6", bigger schools would likely come knocking. He has all the tools to be a successful FCS guard, center, or right tackle.

Right now I see three solid lineman recruits for the 2019 class: Garrison Poetzl (Billings Senior), Holden Sampson (Helena High), and Connor Paul (Billings West). The key difference with Holden is that he only plays on the offensive line while the other two are excellent defensive tackles. Doesn't make Holden a lesser recruit because obviously his focus has been on the offensive line because he has the best technique out of the three. Garrison is all aggression and power (it shows when he plays on the d-line) while Connor is a brute at guard.

Would be shocked if he goes to UM. He comes from a cat family.

MTGRZ said:
VimSince03 said:
mtgrizzly said:
Hey Vim

Would be shocked if he goes to UM. He comes from a cat family.

I would too, know the family well. There is always a chance even if it is a slight chance.

Sam A. Blitz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Igotgoodsources said:
George Ferguson said:
I know Longeran and Dixon for sure both have offers from both schools. I'm sure Poetzl does as well. Hopefully Longeran wants to be in Missoula with his sister. Been told by someone I know at BC that Dixon is thinking bigger and wants to leave MT.

Considering Dixons dad probably has connections and his brother left the cats for Utah (still amazes me why and how) he probably does have bigger thoughts. There is also no lack of arrogance when considering those two male figures in his life so I could certainly see him eyeing bigger. I have not seen him play football but hopefully he is better than his brother if he wants to be successful at a bigger school.

Chrishon Dixon doesn't have the sprinter speed to get a full ride FBS scholarship.

You know this how? He doesn't run track. From what I've seen, he has plenty of closing speed, very good in his back pedal, and fluid hips. Also very good ball skills for a HS corner. Plays physical. Best corner prospect coming out of Montana as long as I can remember. Although, Montana doesn't produce hardly any D1 corners.

I know this for several reasons. 1) He is closely covered on every single reception (no separation speed from small school kids who regularly run 4.7 to 4.9 40's). 2) That long INT he returned for 6 was painful to watch, if anyone was out there with real sprinter speed they would have ran his ass down in a heartbeat.

The kid is a great athlete, no doubt. I stand by my statement, he lacks sprinter speed to get a full ride FBS scholarship.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Igotgoodsources said:
Considering Dixons dad probably has connections and his brother left the cats for Utah (still amazes me why and how) he probably does have bigger thoughts. There is also no lack of arrogance when considering those two male figures in his life so I could certainly see him eyeing bigger. I have not seen him play football but hopefully he is better than his brother if he wants to be successful at a bigger school.

Chrishon Dixon doesn't have the sprinter speed to get a full ride FBS scholarship.

You know this how? He doesn't run track. From what I've seen, he has plenty of closing speed, very good in his back pedal, and fluid hips. Also very good ball skills for a HS corner. Plays physical. Best corner prospect coming out of Montana as long as I can remember. Although, Montana doesn't produce hardly any D1 corners.

I know this for several reasons. 1) He is closely covered on every single reception (no separation speed from small school kids who regularly run 4.7 to 4.9 40's). 2) That long INT he returned for 6 was painful to watch, if anyone was out there with real sprinter speed they would have ran his ass down in a heartbeat.

The kid is a great athlete, no doubt. I stand by my statement, he lacks sprinter speed to get a full ride FBS scholarship.

I've seen him play live. He isn't a 4.4 guy, but he has plenty of closing speed. Much more importantly is his back pedal, hips, and ball skills. I'm not sure if he'll get FBS offers or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Definitely has the talent to play boundary in the Big Sky though.

Any playmakers from CMR in great falls to look out for? Keep hearing they have quite a bit of talent In a few positions.

Lmj said:
Any playmakers from CMR in great falls to look out for? Keep hearing they have quite a bit of talent In a few positions.

There’s a few, Greenwell being the most well-rounded. I like Cason Taylor, CB/K. Looks to be a dark horse from CMR. There’s a few other good kids from CMR as well.

HowardRoss280 said:
Lmj said:

There’s a few, Greenwell being the most well-rounded. I like Cason Taylor, CB/K. Looks to be a dark horse from CMR. There’s a few other good kids from CMR as well.

I see they have a OL that been National ranked. Looks like he's got got size and foot work , anyone know about him ??

Grizfan55 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Lmj said:

I see they have a OL that been National ranked. Looks like he's got got size and foot work , anyone know about him ??

No. WHy don’t you tell us about him, Dad?

AZGrizFan said:
Grizfan55 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Lmj said:

No but I am his “ Dad “ what would you like to know

AZGrizFan said:
Grizfan55 said:
HowardRoss280 said:
Lmj said:

Sorry I asked for more info. As for dad nope but thanks I guess ?? So I Went twitter snooping and found more film and watch all 3 of the kids. Looks like a good bunch , but all need to improve to FCS $$ kids IMO, possible PWO for them maybe, they all need to have good camps and A Great next year , & I think 2 of them could be FCS tho

bshay said:
What are your thoughts on the kid, Garrett Brown, out of Corvallis?

I think he's a beast and the second best defensive tackle in this class behind Garrison Poetzl. Everyone struggled to block him last year in the Southwestern A conference.

Sam A. Blitz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I've seen him play live. He isn't a 4.4 guy, but he has plenty of closing speed. Much more importantly is his back pedal, hips, and ball skills. I'm not sure if he'll get FBS offers or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Definitely has the talent to play boundary in the Big Sky though.

I agree with you that Dixon is a great HS player, especially at a small school level, which is only 138-825 enrollment (and the 825 is leaving for AA). He better standout shockingly if he is to be considered a FBS player. You say Dixon has plenty of closing speed, well sure in this small division where his opponents won't smell the parking lot of a D1 football stadium unless they are paying. But does he have plenty of closing speed for a full ride FBS scholarship? We shall see.

Bozeman 2094
Billings Senior 1810
Billings West 1761
Helena 1555
Billings Skyview 1521
Great Falls 1446
Great Falls CMR 1441
Flathead 1402
Glacier 1293
Helena Capital 1292
Butte 1224
Missoula Sentinel 1199
Missoula Hellgate 1167
Missoula Big Sky 1099

Belgrade 825
Columbia Falls 642
Laurel 628
Browning 550
Havre 531
Hamilton 486
Whitefish 476
Hardin 471
Polson 463
Corvallis 449
Park 444
Frenchtown 389
Dawson County 362
Sidney 359
Fergus 344
Stevensville 343
Ronan 330
Billings Central 327
Beaverhead County 324
Glasgow 254
Butte Central 138

I just wish Dixon had the closing speed of this speedster: (talk about closing speed, watch the last highlight at 2:20 mark)

[hudl]https://www.hudl.com/profile/6038825/Damien-Nelson[/hudl]

IntuitiveGriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

I agree with you that Dixon is a great HS player, especially at a small school level, which is only 138-825 enrollment (and the 825 is leaving for AA). He better standout shockingly if he is to be considered a FBS player. You say Dixon has plenty of closing speed, well sure in this small division where his opponents won't smell the parking lot of a D1 football stadium unless they are paying. But does he have plenty of closing speed for a full ride FBS scholarship? We shall see.

Bozeman 2094
Billings Senior 1810
Billings West 1761
Helena 1555
Billings Skyview 1521
Great Falls 1446
Great Falls CMR 1441
Flathead 1402
Glacier 1293
Helena Capital 1292
Butte 1224
Missoula Sentinel 1199
Missoula Hellgate 1167
Missoula Big Sky 1099

Belgrade 825
Columbia Falls 642
Laurel 628
Browning 550
Havre 531
Hamilton 486
Whitefish 476
Hardin 471
Polson 463
Corvallis 449
Park 444
Frenchtown 389
Dawson County 362
Sidney 359
Fergus 344
Stevensville 343
Ronan 330
Billings Central 327
Beaverhead County 324
Glasgow 254
Butte Central 138

I just wish Dixon had the closing speed of this speedster: (talk about closing speed, watch the last highlight at 2:20 mark)

[hudl]https://www.hudl.com/profile/6038825/Damien-Nelson[/hudl]

Yet Damien will not be playing in the FCS. Signed with MSU-Northern. Closing speed certainly is a big part of playing in the secondary at any level but it isn't the whole package. Awareness, instincts, tackling ability, and confidence are all characteristics that should be taken into account along with speed when evaluating a corner. I do not think Chrishon is a scholarship FBS player but he is in the conversation as the best player in Montana and receiving a full-ride from both Montana and Montana State.

Back