• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring scrimmage

PlayerRep said:
Did Curran have any drops in scrimmages this spring? I missed one scrimmage and parts of the others.

In the half dozen or so practices I attended (none for the whole practice), I didn't notice him drop a ball in any situation.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question. I live too far away, but that is damn impressive for the practices you attended. There were a lot of dropped balls last year and I attributed that to young kids still learning what it takes at the next Level. I am very excited with the talent level at receiver. Crazy good athletes that are big. My personal opinion is next year being the true breakout (or break back in) year for the program. I hope I am wrong and this year it all comes together.

Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
Did Curran have any drops in scrimmages this spring? I missed one scrimmage and parts of the others.

In the half dozen or so practices I attended (none for the whole practice), I didn't notice him drop a ball in any situation.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question. I live too far away, but that is damn impressive for the practices you attended. There were a lot of dropped balls last year and I attributed that to young kids still learning what it takes at the next Level. I am very excited with the talent level at receiver. Crazy good athletes that are big. My personal opinion is next year being the true breakout (or break back in) year for the program. I hope I am wrong and this year it all comes together.

The answer to PR is no, he didn't.

Curran was a young guy and thrust into the role of #1 WR last year, which lead to some drops and inconsistent play. A year later his experience and growth in the offense has been astounding

BWahlberg said:
Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:

Curran was a young guy and thrust into the role of #1 WR last year, which lead to some drops and inconsistent play. A year later his experience and growth in the offense has been astounding
I've said it before, and I still believe it: He may not have a huge Sophomore campaign with mind blowing numbers like #7 did, but I see a sizable increase in production from him just like we saw from Ellis Henderson from year 1 to 2.

BWahlberg said:
Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:

That's great to hear. I got a little frustrated last year with his play at times. There's a lot of young talent at WR and I think that a couple of those guns could really jump out as instant game-changers, but there's a role available for a leader within the group. And if Curran comes out more polished and consistent....he could be the "dude" among the corps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uofmman1122 said:
BWahlberg said:
Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:

I've said it before, and I still believe it: He may not have a huge Sophomore campaign with mind blowing numbers like #7 did, but I see a sizable increase in production from him just like we saw from Ellis Henderson from year 1 to 2.

It will be year 3 for Curran.

I pretty much disagree with many of the posts toward the latter end of this tread. I attended the spring scrimmage and my lasting impression, an epiphany really, was that it didn't really matter who the wide receivers were, who the quarterback was or the running backs. There are no Jerry Rices, Randy Mosses, Tony Romos in this program. Stitt's system rules. My impression of the system is that it works quite well with poorer, undermanned teams so watch out Valparaiso and Savannah State. But it doesn't work that well with teams with decent defenses that have seen the offense before. It is all so predictable, boring in some aspects, once you have seen it.

Looking back to 15/16 it didn't really matter whether BG, Chalich or even Simis (in 15) were in. All had really good games but when it mattered the team couldn't finish. Stitt's offensive system on one hand is gimmicky, but on the other hand very mundane and predictable. I think that should have been the takeaway from the 2016 MSU debacle in November. I think improvement could be made by backing off with a more ball control offense and a real tight end that gave support to an up and coming defense. An offensive coordinator wouldn't hurt but too late for that. But 3 and outs, turnovers, missed field goals and extra points do not support that defense and it will eventually break down. A coach has to recognize the strengths and weaknesses in his program. My impression is that Stitt's ego will not let him move toward a more conventional ball control offense, that would compliment the defense. Of course he hasn't recruited in that direction which is problematic.

I hate to say it but the program being put together at MSU, at least in concept with a ball control offense and a tough D, may overtake Stitt's grand experiment. I guess he has this year to prove us recalcitrant s wrong.

sdk.catfish said:
I pretty much disagree with many of the posts toward the latter end of this tread. I attended the spring scrimmage and my lasting impression, an epiphany really, was that it didn't really matter who the wide receivers were, who the quarterback was or the running backs. There are no Jerry Rices, Randy Mosses, Tony Romos in this program. Stitt's system rules. My impression of the system is that it works quite well with poorer, undermanned teams so watch out Valparaiso and Savannah State. But it doesn't work that well with teams with decent defenses that have seen the offense before. It is all so predictable, boring in some aspects, once you have seen it.

Looking back to 15/16 it didn't really matter whether BG, Chalich or even Simis (in 15) were in. All had really good games but when it mattered the team couldn't finish. Stitt's offensive system on one hand is gimmicky, but on the other hand very mundane and predictable. I think that should have been the takeaway from the 2016 MSU debacle in November. I think improvement could be made by backing off with a more ball control offense and a real tight end that gave support to an up and coming defense. An offensive coordinator wouldn't hurt but too late for that. But 3 and outs, turnovers, missed field goals and extra points do not support that defense and it will eventually break down. A coach has to recognize the strengths and weaknesses in his program. My impression is that Stitt's ego will not let him move toward a more conventional ball control offense, that would compliment the defense. Of course he hasn't recruited in that direction which is problematic.

I hate to say it but the program being put together at MSU, at least in concept with a ball control offense and a tough D, may overtake Stitt's grand experiment. I guess he has this year to prove us recalcitrant s wrong.
How does it feel to type out a three paragraph sob story about a football team? Unprovoked at that.

Have a fun offseason.

by brewskis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 pm
How does it feel to type out a three paragraph sob story about a football team? Unprovoked at that.

Doesn't really feel that bad. Should it? I'm a fan, not a fanatical.

G-BEARS said:
uofmman1122 said:
BWahlberg said:
Copper Griz said:

It will be year 3 for Curran.

True, he played in a handful of games and had just a few catches as a backup that really only saw the field at WR in a few blowouts.

I see a lot of Jamal Jones in Curran personally. JJ's first year here in 2014 he had drop issues as he adapted too. 2015 he was the man. Keenan isn't even a senior and has a chance to put up a 1000+ yard and 10+ TD season

brewskis said:
sdk.catfish said:

Have a fun offseason.
:lol:

sdk.catfish said:

Does your post have anything to to with how the receivers catch the ball, or the upcoming season?

HelenaHandBasket said:
BWahlberg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
MrTitleist said:
What part is gimmicky?

My guess is running read-option with BG. #gimmicky

All 5 times he did haha

And if you add the handful of times they ran that gimmicky fly sweep. #StittTheGimmickyGuru

Someone told me that was his whole offense too, just a handful of times... man, no wonder is offense is garbage if he only actually ran it a few times all season

/sarcasm

sdk.catfish said:
by brewskis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Doesn't really feel that bad. Should it? I'm a fan, not a fanatical.
Oh okay just checking. Seemed to have you pretty upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back