• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring scrimmage

PlayerRep said:
Did Curran have any drops in scrimmages this spring? I missed one scrimmage and parts of the others.

In the half dozen or so practices I attended (none for the whole practice), I didn't notice him drop a ball in any situation.

I did not notice any drops from him but he wasn't overly impressive either. He had a few nice catches from button hook and out plays this Spring. I think his role is solid possession receiver this Fall. Don't think he'll ever be that burner but we got plenty of guys that can go deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until the quarterback can drop back, let the play develop, and step into the throw a deep threat will be less than often. Right now we have snap, yikes, and throw the ball off the back foot. That's probably why Phillips is the number one guy. He can get rid of it before we are in 3rd and a mile.
Given that fact the receivers aren't the problem......

BWahlberg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
BWahlberg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
My guess is running read-option with BG. #gimmicky

All 5 times he did haha

And if you add the handful of times they ran that gimmicky fly sweep. #StittTheGimmickyGuru

Someone told me that was his whole offense too, just a handful of times... man, no wonder is offense is garbage if he only actually ran it a few times all season

/sarcasm

I know right. Goes to show you should never hire a coach just based on his philosophy. #BeLikeUrban

brewskis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 am

sdk.catfish wrote:
by brewskis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 pm
How does it feel to type out a three paragraph sob story about a football team? Unprovoked at that.

Doesn't really feel that bad. Should it? I'm a fan, not a fanatical.

Oh okay just checking. Seemed to have you pretty upset.

Not upset at all and I should have wished you a nice summer as well. I just posted my observations about the offense that I saw in Spring drills and scrimmages. Titlist asked me to clarify what I think is gimmicky about Stitt's offense. I think it is gimmicky (maybe risky would have been a better word) to attempt to build a pass first ball control offense with an inexperienced QB, no real cohesion in the run game, and an offensive line that as yet has not shown that it can either blow defenses off the ball in the run or protect the passer very well. Simply put it is hard to control the ball and the game, if you have turnovers, sacks, penalties, the lack of a run game, and a potentially suspect kicking game.

No coach gets the same hand dealt to him every year. This year it appears that the defense may be quite good - we shall see if that carries through. So with a strong defense I would like to see an offense that makes very few mistakes in terms of penalties, sacks and turnovers that will augment and support the defense. I don't need to see an offense that runs up 60 points a game against Valparaiso and Savannah State but then allows too many opponent offensive opportunities via our offensive mistakes when we play quality teams like EWU, NAU and N. Dakota. I would like Stitt use this summer, fall and those two games/glorified scrimmages to develop a more power oriented ball control offense that can get the Griz through the season and win some close games by helping out the defense and scoring just 1 more point than the opposition.

So I'm certainly not upset as this is not life or death for me. Like all of you I would just like to see a few more wins and my personal opinion is that is going to take some modifications to the core offense Stitt brought with him. He has shown this spring that he is open to change on the defensive side so I believe he could do it on the offensive side if he put some effort into it. While e-griz is a venue where you and I can voice our opinions I do realize that it doesn't mean jack in terms of what the coach or team will do. So really, have a great summer and we shall see what the fall brings.

sdk.catfish said:
Titlist asked me to clarify what I think is gimmicky about Stitt's offense. I think it is gimmicky (maybe risky would have been a better word) to attempt to build a pass first ball control offense with an inexperienced QB, no real cohesion in the run game, and an offensive line that as yet has not shown that it can either blow defenses off the ball in the run or protect the passer very well. Simply put it is hard to control the ball and the game, if you have turnovers, sacks, penalties, the lack of a run game, and a potentially suspect kicking game.

I think you make some fine points. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they are points. I don't know that Gus was the appropriate QB for this offense, but Stitt made it work (to a point). He was dealt a bad hand with the OL from the previous staff that he's been trying to fix. We'll see how some of these young guys pan out. We're two full recruiting classes deep, don't know how much we can judge yet.

Back