• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring scrimmage

Copper Griz said:
fanofzoo said:
Running backs...oline...cluster...and the qb clap, what a boon for the dline.

Why are all our RB's smaller than carnival rides require.

The QB clap is driving me crazy. So damn predictable. It has to stop. DE's had a damn field day keying off it.

I keyed on that today and it is clap/hike. The Dline loves that. Why?

Hopefully the defense is SCARY GOOD...the offense isn't going to get it done. No running game, play action short outs are all they have...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

fanofzoo said:
Copper Griz said:
fanofzoo said:
Running backs...oline...cluster...and the qb clap, what a boon for the dline.

Why are all our RB's smaller than carnival rides require.

The QB clap is driving me crazy. So damn predictable. It has to stop. DE's had a damn field day keying off it.

I keyed on that today and it is clap/hike. The Dline loves that. Why?

Yep, the center needs to vary his snaps or the QB is going to get killed.

1) Jace Lewis deserves the schollie.
2) DL is very good but OL played terrible today.
3) Coach Stitt's offense is based on QB having a little time and having a decent running game, he doesnt have either. Need to use 2 step drop for QBs and quick passes to JLM and company!
4) Coach Stit didnt use center of the field much at all. Needs to rethink this. Bring in Pflugrad as consultant or is he employed elsewhere?
5) Sandry has seen those plays over and over again, but they are still predictable.
6) #2 GJ is improving a lot! If it is close in the fall, should give him the nod..

I thought the team would show better in the scrimmage. Defense was good, especially the no. 1 D, and there were some nice individual performances.

Disappointed that Phillips threw all the picks. 3 in the first 1.5 quarters. The 4th was just a throw it up in end zone on last play of scrimmage, so not a big deal. Think Sims dropped back to get the first one in a forced throw over the middle on 3d down. Think Sandry got the next two on longer outs, where he completely jumped the routes and made terrific catches. Looks like he was very good hands. Phillips' 3 picks were on the mark throws, but into coverage. Wonder if Sandry knew what was coming. I was thinking Phillips was going to come out of this game and spring ball with high confidence, but this game didn't help. Hill had a terrific game no matter how you look at it. He was good the whole game. Jensen had a decent but not great game. He got the long ball to a wide open JLM for the 50 plus harder, but the threw was under thrown. Jensen has very large thighs for qb. Reminds me of Timm Rosenbach's legs.

Defense didn't give up many big or longer plays. Lots of depth. Didn't miss tackles.

Receivers caught the ball for the most part. There were some nice throws by all qb's.

O-line is still missing 76. Not much for the running game, except Hill's scrambles. No. 26's brother came up from the Bay Area with a friend to attend game. Nice guys. JLM's parents were in attendance. Semenza needs to stop thinking on shorter kicks and just kick the ball. He seems to have enough talent. Works in the summer with former NFL kicker J Carney in San Diego.

Pork chop sandwiches for the bus ride home. Nice big crowd on a nice day in a nice stadium, but the crowd was relatively silent and the scrimmage didn't seem to generate much excitement. Wonder how many people got sunburned.

PlayerRep said:
Pork chop sandwiches for the bus ride home. Nice big crowd on a nice day in a nice stadium, but the crowd was relatively silent and the scrimmage didn't seem to generate much excitement. Wonder how many people got sunburned.

I thought the crowd today was terrific. Lots of tailgating beforehand. The silence was probably due to not know whether to hose up the offense or not.. given the way the first team offense played probably a good idea to keep silent.

Count me in the sunburned crowd.. ouch.

MrTitleist said:
PlayerRep said:

I thought the crowd today was terrific. Lots of tailgating beforehand. The silence was probably due to not know whether to hose up the offense or not.. given the way the first team offense played probably a good idea to keep silent.

I lost my first layer of skin cheering for the GRIZ every play, or in between bites.

Grizzly Football kind of reminds of the movie Ground Hog Day. Wash, rinse, repeat with the biggest area of concern being the offensive line.

One thing to note is Shaw is going wreck offensive lineman all year long......

MrTitleist said:
PlayerRep said:

Quiet crowd during the scrimmage. Terrific atmosphere and tailgating ahead of time. 3 questionable people sitting near me, but otherwise a nice crowd. Glad I brought sunscreen.

PlayerRep said:
MrTitleist said:
PlayerRep said:

Quiet crowd during the scrimmage. Terrific atmosphere and tailgating ahead of time. 3 questionable people sitting near me, but otherwise a nice crowd. Glad I brought sunscreen.

Titleist has two friends??

PlayerRep said:
MrTitleist said:
PlayerRep said:

Well there was me and my two friends, that's 3 isn't it.

When Stitt was asked if the scrimmage was a success...

"Its a huge success.
Unfortunately, a lot of people grade a scrimmage off of how the offense looks. Our Defense is awesome, it was a great scrimmage because of the way our defense played. And its tough on an offense, when you're playing and running the same plays everyday against the same guys and they get a feel for what you're doing. Again, Im not going take anything away from our defense, they're good and they are hard to go against. So I think this was a great scrimmage today to get our defense out there and play the way they did."

Paytonlives: I agree with Coach Stitt for the most part. But also have to wonder how much of that said is defending himself as OC. This is why a head coach should not be OC.

granitegriz said:
Paytonlives: I agree with Coach Stitt for the most part. But also have to wonder how much of that said is defending himself as OC. This is why a head coach should not be OC.
This offense is not standard as far as the coordinator goes. Stitt's call will dictate the routes that the WR's run, but the QB has to decide where (within 4 choices) to go with the ball based on his reads of the defense. The QB can also decide that they're gonna give it to Calhoun or Green.

This offense will be NASTY when we have a reliable OL and a QB that knows how to attack the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
granitegriz said:
This offense is not standard as far as the coordinator goes. Stitt's call will dictate the routes that the WR's run, but the QB has to decide where (within 4 choices) to go with the ball based on his reads of the defense. The QB can also decide that they're gonna give it to Calhoun or Green.

This offense will be NASTY when we have a reliable OL and a QB that knows how to attack the defense.

Will we ever have that? Apparently Stitt's offense is so innovative and complex that by the time a QB gets it all down they're going to be out of eligibility anyway. #offensivegenius

Griz2k said:
brewskis said:
granitegriz said:

Will we ever have that? Apparently Stitt's offense is so innovative and complex that by the time a QB gets it all down they're going to be out of eligibility anyway. #offensivegenius
I think we will, Gresch could be really special and he's shown what he's got.

But I get it. It's a lot easier to just bitch and moan like everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
Griz2k said:
brewskis said:
granitegriz said:

I think we will, Gresch could be really special and he's shown what he's got.

But I get it. It's a lot easier to just bitch and moan like everyone else.

Exactly! :lol:

Did Curran have any drops in scrimmages this spring? I missed one scrimmage and parts of the others.

In the half dozen or so practices I attended (none for the whole practice), I didn't notice him drop a ball in any situation.

Back