• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
Sure:

Stitt was hired to "get us back to where we used to be".

That implies that before he even got here we somehow fell down from where we were, no?

Last season was a step in the wrong direction, and this season is still too early to tell, but I don't see how saying we slipped a lot from 2011-2014 is so blasphemous.

It's not blasphemous; it's true. Some argue it started before then.

Ding, ding, ding on the fill in the blank answer. Stitt has led the team to exactly 2 wins in the last 7 games. Maybe it's too early to tell this season...maybe it is not. Honestly, the trajectory is NOT good. Stitt's job is to change that trajectory. We'll see.

Everybody knew...EVERYBODY knew we'd be 1-1 right now. After next weekend we'll be 2-1 and he'll have three wins in the last 8. Exactly where we expected to be after three games. Why are you NOW worried about what happene last year? There are different players, different plays, a different coach or two, etc., etc...what happened last year has ZERO bearing on where we go this year.

I don't agree with your last season aspect of the comment. If the end of last season was all or mostly on the coaches, then what happened last year would have a significant impact on this season. Same head coach. Same asst coaches for the most part. Think only one change, and he wasn't really replaced yet. I don't know what caused the collapse at the end of last season, but some people blame the coaches for at least some of it. There are other things. If the o-line was a big problem last year, it's essentially the same this year. The starters don't have any new Stitt recruits from last year. The one replacement is a Delaney holdover. There are more retained starters than new starters. If the players were the problem last year, they may be this year too. If the team couldn't win on the road last season, whether related to the players or coaches, it could also be a problem this season. I know the coaches have tried to work on that in the offseason.

disagree. All the returning players are a year older, a year bigger, a year stronger, and have an additional year of experience, spring ball, summer training, weight room, fall camp, etc., etc., etc. Add in another year in Stitt's system--AND Semore's system. LOTS of things COULD be a problem this season. Still doesn't relate to last season--too many dynamics are different.

And not sure about your comment regarding no new Stitt recruits starting: The starting QB is a Stitt recruit. Villanueva is a Stitt recruit. Sandry is a Stitt recruit. Vika is a Stitt recruit. The Maryland transfer NT is a Stitt recruit. Sims is a Stitt recruit. Favoroso is a Stitt recruit.

Anyway, my point in responding to the OP was that THIS year's trajectory is EXACTLY what we all expected...not sure why everyone suddenly feels the sky is falling. I fully expect we'll be 3-1 after EWU and then we'll begin finding out what this team is really made of.

SoldierGriz said:
Our collective expectations have fallen so far many don't even realize it has happened. This is our new normal. Sad.

I don't care what the fan base' new normal is, it has no outcome on how the Griz play. I know what the Griz' goals are this season. They're the same as they were under Hauck, or any other coach. I know that for a fact. Does that mean they'll accomplish them just because they want to, or just because they write them down on a white board? Of course not. They have to prove it on the field. But this notion that what fans are writing on message boards is somehow what the players and coaching staff are doing, saying, thinking or wanting is getting borderline stupid.

Just because a fan says he "hopes" the Griz go 8-3, that doesn't mean that's what the Griz, Stitt, or anyone else actually associated with the actual Griz football team hopes for. I know of four goals for the Griz this season. 1. Be 1-0 every week. It's cliche yes, but it's an actual goal. 2. Beat Montana State. 3. Win the Big Sky Conference Championship. 4. Win in the postseason. I know for a fact those goals were set in spring ball, because I saw them. And they have not changed. Conversely, I did not see anywhere in the Griz' lockerroom where it said things like "hope we're 8-3" or "hope we can beat Weber State".

Sorry, Soldier, I'm not really trying to talk at you specifically. I'm just saying, NO, what fans are saying on here as far as expectations and hopes, NO, those are not the new normal inside the Griz lockerroom.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

Ding, ding, ding on the fill in the blank answer. Stitt has led the team to exactly 2 wins in the last 7 games. Maybe it's too early to tell this season...maybe it is not. Honestly, the trajectory is NOT good. Stitt's job is to change that trajectory. We'll see.

Everybody knew...EVERYBODY knew we'd be 1-1 right now. After next weekend we'll be 2-1 and he'll have three wins in the last 8. Exactly where we expected to be after three games. Why are you NOW worried about what happene last year? There are different players, different plays, a different coach or two, etc., etc...what happened last year has ZERO bearing on where we go this year.

I don't agree with your last season aspect of the comment. If the end of last season was all or mostly on the coaches, then what happened last year would have a significant impact on this season. Same head coach. Same asst coaches for the most part. Think only one change, and he wasn't really replaced yet. I don't know what caused the collapse at the end of last season, but some people blame the coaches for at least some of it. There are other things. If the o-line was a big problem last year, it's essentially the same this year. The starters don't have any new Stitt recruits from last year. The one replacement is a Delaney holdover. There are more retained starters than new starters. If the players were the problem last year, they may be this year too. If the team couldn't win on the road last season, whether related to the players or coaches, it could also be a problem this season. I know the coaches have tried to work on that in the offseason.

disagree. All the returning players are a year older, a year bigger, a year stronger, and have an additional year of experience, spring ball, summer training, weight room, fall camp, etc., etc., etc. Add in another year in Stitt's system--AND Semore's system. LOTS of things COULD be a problem this season. Still doesn't relate to last season--too many dynamics are different.

And not sure about your comment regarding no new Stitt recruits starting: The starting QB is a Stitt recruit. Villanueva is a Stitt recruit. Sandry is a Stitt recruit. Vika is a Stitt recruit. The Maryland transfer NT is a Stitt recruit. Sims is a Stitt recruit. Favoroso is a Stitt recruit.

Anyway, my point in responding to the OP was that THIS year's trajectory is EXACTLY what we all expected...not sure why everyone suddenly feels the sky is falling. I fully expect we'll be 3-1 after EWU and then we'll begin finding out what this team is really made of.

You don't have to agree, but you are dead wrong on this and most knowledgeable football fans on this board would agree. I note that you avoided the biggest reason some are concerned, and that is that the coaches are the same. Sorry, but you can't duck that. Note that Stitt took the blame for the season after the Cat loss. I was talking about the o-line. It has no new Stitt recruits on it this year. I think the o-line is better, or much better, but many don't. I agree on the 1-1 argument, etc. However, that is not what people were disagreeing with you on. They were disagreeing that the end of last season had nothing to do with this season.

George Ferguson said:
SoldierGriz said:
Our collective expectations have fallen so far many don't even realize it has happened. This is our new normal. Sad.

I don't care what the fan base' new normal is, it has no outcome on how the Griz play. I know what the Griz' goals are this season. They're the same as they were under Hauck, or any other coach. I know that for a fact. Does that mean they'll accomplish them just because they want to, or just because they write them down on a white board? Of course not. They have to prove it on the field. But this notion that what fans are writing on message boards is somehow what the players and coaching staff are doing, saying, thinking or wanting is getting borderline stupid.

Just because a fan says he "hopes" the Griz go 8-3, that doesn't mean that's what the Griz, Stitt, or anyone else actually associated with the actual Griz football team hopes for. I know of four goals for the Griz this season. 1. Be 1-0 every week. It's cliche yes, but it's an actual goal. 2. Beat Montana State. 3. Win the Big Sky Conference Championship. 4. Win in the postseason. I know for a fact those goals were set in spring ball, because I saw them. And they have not changed. Conversely, I did not see anywhere in the Griz' lockerroom where it said things like "hope we're 8-3" or "hope we can beat Weber State".

Sorry, Soldier, I'm not really trying to talk at you specifically. I'm just saying, NO, what fans are saying on here as far as expectations and hopes, NO, those are not the new normal inside the Griz lockerroom.

Didn't winning a national championship used to be a goal?

Grizzly96 said:
speth said:
Everyone has their opinion and I like Griz as much as anyone but what has stuck with me is the Cat game last year. Without a doubt it was the worst Griz performance in WG stadium since it opened in 1986. It wasn't just the offense but the defense was atrocious. Although the Cats were not a good team they clearly deserved to win the game - and I blame the loss on the coaches. In the post-game interview the Cat coaches talked about and pretty much laughed at the Griz defensive scheme that allowed their QB to run at will time after time. But let's see what happens. Coaches can get better with experience.

Did a half empty stadium starting the second half of that game stick with you as well? It was a 14-7 ballgame, we got the ball to start the second half against our most hated rival at home and......fans give our Griz a half empty stadium. Yet some hold the coaches and players to "expectations"!

Just to be clear, I share the same concerns and frustrations as many on here do. I'm not pro or anti Stitt either, I'm for and cheer for the Griz, the whole damn game!!

Fans fault?

LOL.

SoldierGriz said:
We are in the middle of either:

- A slow, agonizing downward spiral...or
- A slow, agonizing rebuild...

I'm getting sucked into the first, but thankful for the sugar that is coating eGriz right now. It's giving me hope....and diabetes.

You won't miss your baby toe when they cut it off. For Christ's sake, you're an Army man!

uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
We haven't been "good" since 2011, and blaming that on Stitt is just dumb.

The shit and aftermath of 2012's scandals decimated us in ways that are not obvious, which is especially frustrating when everyone still expects us to win the big sky and go to the semis every year.

UM was good Delaney's last 2 years. 10-3 (with losses to EWU and Coastal) and 9-5 (with losses to Wyo. NDSU, and 2 to EWU), playoffs, wins over the Cats and a top 10 and top 12 ranking those years, I believe. Please stop with the nonsense.
I don't dislike Delaney at all, but we were never a perennially awful road team until after 2011 (against good teams, sure, but never against bad teams). I know you won't agree with me, but it seems like that's become our culture, which Stitt has yet to do anything about.

I always felt under Delaney that our team's ceiling was never higher than the quarterfinals if we ever got a good draw. He had one playoff win against the worst playoff team that's ever been to Missoula. It's not his fault his teams had to play NDSU and EWU in the playoffs, but you can't knock the 2015 team for that, either, which beat a very good SDSU team the week before.

And as I've posted before, 2013 was our weakest schedule we had since 2007, and it showed when Coastal came in and punked our overconfident asses. And the 2014 team beat a hugely overrated MSU team without it's starting QB, the aforementioned awful San Diego team, and then looked listless against EWU.

Delaney's teams weren't as bad as Stitt's team last year, but they weren't quite what I would consider "good" relative to Griz teams in the past. If those count as "good" years in your book, then Stitt has had one good team and one bad team, same as Mick after 2 years.

It appears no one here wants to admit the scandals had any effect on our program, though.

This is a great post! Nice job 1122!

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
Not one of those quotes says he was hired to "turn around" the program. Not one of those articles is based on a Haslam quote or interview. Those articles are from 7/18/17, 7/17/17 (and just a sports reporter saying that), and 8/31/17. They are all based on what Stitt said in SLC at the summer conference meetings.

Where are the quotes from when he was hired, or in the prior 2 years. You took one interview, and then said it said something it didn't say.

Like I said, I had never seen or heard anyone say Stitt was hired to turn around the problem.

I'm fine with him being hired to get UM back on top. Any coach UM would hire would be told that the school would like him to get the program back on top.
Well it seems even if I spent the rest of my night going through articles that either explicitly say it or imply it, you'd still insist it's not the case, so I'll just let you have this one, then. :lol:
We all knew exactly what quote you were talking about and so did he as he already took issue with the "build a program" comment when it came out. Obviously you've never played the game.

So, where is the quote that backs this up? "As for the turn around quote, just search the Missoulian or SkylineSports pages, and you'll be covered." Note the words TURN AROUND.

Also, show us where Haslam or anyone, prior to summer 2017, said Stitt was hired to "build a program". They may exist, but I don't recall that. I recall being surprised when I saw that quote by Stitt this summer.

And, just answer the question. Don't try to change the goal post.

Synomyns for "Turn Around"
- improve
- revise
- repair
- revise
- straighten out
- upgrade

Synomyns for "Build a Program"
- improve
- upgrade

Same

Ursa Major said:
SoldierGriz said:
We are in the middle of either:

- A slow, agonizing downward spiral...or
- A slow, agonizing rebuild...

I'm getting sucked into the first, but thankful for the sugar that is coating eGriz right now. It's giving me hope....and diabetes.

You won't miss your baby toe when they cut it off. For Christ's sake, you're an Army man!

:)

George Ferguson said:
SoldierGriz said:

I get it George. I know what I say has NO bearing on how the players play or the coaches coach. I really do. But, this is a FAN message board, and sometimes fans are fanatical.

I've said many times that I have absolutely zero connection to players, coaches, or anyone else in the Program. I'm just a fan.

The slow slide of fan expectations is real in my opinion. It's disappointing to me. That's all.

SoldierGriz said:
George Ferguson said:
SoldierGriz said:

I get it George. I know what I say has NO bearing on how the players play or the coaches coach. I really do. But, this is a FAN message board, and sometimes fans are fanatical.

I've said many times that I have absolutely zero connection to players, coaches, or anyone else in the Program. I'm just a fan.

The slow slide of fan expectations is real in my opinion. It's disappointing to me. That's all.

So true...what used to be the griz fan base hoped were to win it all....beating Cats and being on to of BSC were a given.....to now, fans would be okay with far less. People sugar coating has worn down the fan base. Starting to smell like when Cat fans were just happy to be mediocre....they aren't so easily pleased anymore

SoldierGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
This should not require explaining, so I will not do it.
Are you going to complain after he's 3 for his last 8 after this weekend, too? Damn, this guy is such a loser that he can't even win half his games.

If he wins the next week against EWU, he's still only 4 of 9. 5 of 10 after that, if he's lucky. Still not good enough.

Fire the asshole, amirite? :roll:
Somebody's losing this argument badly and it ain't uofmman.

Funny from a guy who won't even make an argument. Stick to softball...more your speed.

Solid burn. Actually I thank you for taking the time to read the softball posts. Too many Griz fans only care about football and we should enjoy ALL things Montana. Also, not that it matters to me that you care, but I know FAR more about football then any other sport and far more then most on this board, maybe even you. I just don't waste my time getting into these trivial debates that so many on here find so important. I learned a long time ago not to argue with people that KNOW they are right. It's a waste of energy to try and convince people of what some might see as obvious when they only see what they choose to see. It's like arguing politics. When people are convinced their puppet republican or democrat candidate is really going to make a difference, no one is going to convince them otherwise. Now carry on with your "discussion" trying to convince people that they're stupid and your not.

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
Are you going to complain after he's 3 for his last 8 after this weekend, too? Damn, this guy is such a loser that he can't even win half his games.

If he wins the next week against EWU, he's still only 4 of 9. 5 of 10 after that, if he's lucky. Still not good enough.

Fire the asshole, amirite? :roll:

Funny from a guy who won't even make an argument. Stick to softball...more your speed.

Solid burn. Actually I thank you for taking the time to read the softball posts. Too many Griz fans only care about football and we should enjoy ALL things Montana. Also, not that it matters to me that you care, but I know FAR more about football then any other sport and far more then most on this board, maybe even you. I just don't waste my time getting into these trivial debates that so many on here find so important. I learned a long time ago not to argue with people that KNOW they are right. It's a waste of energy to try and convince people of what some might see as obvious when they only see what they choose to see. It's like arguing politics. When people are convinced their puppet republican or democrat candidate is really going to make a difference, no one is going to convince them otherwise. Now carry on with your "discussion" trying to convince people that they're stupid and your not.

I am certain you know more about all Griz sports than me, including football. I'm OK with that. You are a superb fan.

But, you jumped into this discussion...so you did in fact "get into a trivial debate".

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
uofmman1122 said:
Well it seems even if I spent the rest of my night going through articles that either explicitly say it or imply it, you'd still insist it's not the case, so I'll just let you have this one, then. :lol:
We all knew exactly what quote you were talking about and so did he as he already took issue with the "build a program" comment when it came out. Obviously you've never played the game.

So, where is the quote that backs this up? "As for the turn around quote, just search the Missoulian or SkylineSports pages, and you'll be covered." Note the words TURN AROUND.

Also, show us where Haslam or anyone, prior to summer 2017, said Stitt was hired to "build a program". They may exist, but I don't recall that. I recall being surprised when I saw that quote by Stitt this summer.

- improve
- revise
- repair
- revise
- straighten out
- upgrade

- improve
- upgrade

Same

No, they aren't the same. "Build" doesn't include these:

"- revise
- repair
- straighten out"

Feel free to show me any quotes from Haslam or anyone else associated with the running the program, where they said Stitt was hired to "turn around the program".

Hete's a link to a long article called "Blueprint for a Rebuild".

https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/8/20/5990929/college-football-coaches-programs-bob-stoops-bill-snyder

grizd said:
MTGRZ said:
grizd said:
PlayerRep said:
UM was good Delaney's last 2 years. 10-3 (with losses to EWU and Coastal) and 9-5 (with losses to Wyo. NDSU, and 2 to EWU), playoffs, wins over the Cats and a top 10 and top 12 ranking those years, I believe. Please stop with the nonsense.

I don't get why people get so worked up about defending Stitt yet are so quick to throw Delaney under the bus. Both are nice guys, neither is a great head coach IMO. There may be an ascent coming (hopefully) but I know there is a definite reduction in interest. Very similar decline to that of Carroll....hoping UM doesn't go that low.

I am curious as to why you say, "reduction of interest." I agree, but I would like to know more specifics. The University of Montana as a whole? The athletic department? The football team? All of the above? Just curious as to why you say that.

Nothing concrete. Just doesn't seem to be the buzz around Griz football like it used to be. Much easier to get tickets, has become less of an "event", and more blue and gold than ever across the State.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. I do believe, however, that we can turn that around. And it all starts with a new president at UM. And winning. Got to win. But we simply need more students and students interested in "school spirit." The University of Montana in general, needs a win. Go Griz!

Ursa Major said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
We haven't been "good" since 2011, and blaming that on Stitt is just dumb.

The shit and aftermath of 2012's scandals decimated us in ways that are not obvious, which is especially frustrating when everyone still expects us to win the big sky and go to the semis every year.

I don't dislike Delaney at all, but we were never a perennially awful road team until after 2011 (against good teams, sure, but never against bad teams). I know you won't agree with me, but it seems like that's become our culture, which Stitt has yet to do anything about.

I always felt under Delaney that our team's ceiling was never higher than the quarterfinals if we ever got a good draw. He had one playoff win against the worst playoff team that's ever been to Missoula. It's not his fault his teams had to play NDSU and EWU in the playoffs, but you can't knock the 2015 team for that, either, which beat a very good SDSU team the week before.

And as I've posted before, 2013 was our weakest schedule we had since 2007, and it showed when Coastal came in and punked our overconfident asses. And the 2014 team beat a hugely overrated MSU team without it's starting QB, the aforementioned awful San Diego team, and then looked listless against EWU.

Delaney's teams weren't as bad as Stitt's team last year, but they weren't quite what I would consider "good" relative to Griz teams in the past. If those count as "good" years in your book, then Stitt has had one good team and one bad team, same as Mick after 2 years.

It appears no one here wants to admit the scandals had any effect on our program, though.

This is a great post! Nice job 1122!

You may think it's a great post, but much is it is wrong. Delaney's last 2 years were good years (nos. 8 and 12 national rankings), and his teams were very good on the road against all but the top teams. San Diego isn't the worst playoff team to ever come to Missoula. 2013 didn't have an incredibly weak schedule. EWU has been at the top of the Big Sky conference now for multiple years, except in one down year. Would be nice to beat them, but they have been the cream of the crop and have learned to beat UM in Missoula. Why can't more Griz fans recognize the EWU has been at the top of the heap? I'm sorry but 10-2 and 9-5 (with losses to Wyo., NDSU, twice to EWU, CP) are better than 8-5 (with losses to CP, Liberty, Weber, PSU and NDSU).

You posters with your narrative/agenda make up your own facts and refuse to look at the real facts.

SoldierGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I am certain you know more about all Griz sports than me, including football. I'm OK with that. You are a superb fan.

But, you jumped into this discussion...so you did in fact "get into a trivial debate".

Na, just a comment from the peanut gallery. Dammit, now we're debating that I'm not debating. How dare you bait me into this trivial discussion.

PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:

- improve
- revise
- repair
- revise
- straighten out
- upgrade

- improve
- upgrade

Same

No, they aren't the same. "Build" doesn't include these:

"- revise
- repair
- straighten out"

Feel free to show me any quotes from Haslam or anyone else associated with the running the program, where they said Stitt was hired to "turn around the program".

Hete's a link to a long article called "Blueprint for a Rebuild".

https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/8/20/5990929/college-football-coaches-programs-bob-stoops-bill-snyder

You do understand what a synonym is right? So lets try this again - I know you will spin away - even when wrong. I removed the words that did not match specifically, but since they also meant the same thing it matters little. No need to read the link - has nothing to do with synonyms.

I don't have to look up the quotes, you already included them which stated "build the program", so thank you for proving that point.

synonym [sin-uh-nim]
noun
..having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as

- improve
- upgrade

- improve
- upgrade

edit: In fairness I did look up the synonym for REBUILD (fix, repair). That insinuates that the team needed to be fixed, which it did not. It is, nor was broken - as you yourself have mentioned numerous times (and I agree with), when discussing Delaney.

In the end it's all semantics - and even if proven wrong with 23 sources of information, actual quotes by people that wrote them, and God himself (assuming God is a he) telling you that something is the way it is - and you would argue and spin it as only you can do. Kudos to you...even when you're wrong.

alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

Na, just a comment from the peanut gallery. Dammit, now we're debating that I'm not debating. How dare you bait me into this trivial discussion.

:lol:

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Good grief, the non-scandals have been discussed ad nauseam on here. Few don't believe it had an impact.

Fill in the blank: Stitt was hired to____________________________________?

Your thought in bold above is front and center to what is happening RIGHT NOW...
Sure:

Stitt was hired to "get us back to where we used to be".

That implies that before he even got here we somehow fell down from where we were, no?

Last season was a step in the wrong direction, and this season is still too early to tell, but I don't see how saying we slipped a lot from 2011-2014 is so blasphemous.

So why did this meltdown come after the UW game??

Were you expecting us to win that??

People are loswing their minds after we got blasted by one of the best teams in all of college football....

News flash..NDSU woulda got beat by 50 against those guys.

Back