• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
I googled but didn't see quotes about Stitt being hired to turn around the program. Why don't you google, and give us the quotes and links?
Well, not to go all 75, but since you asked...

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/relationships-goals-mindset-atop-bob-stitt-s-priority-list-for/article_c15064fe-6507-5896-a8b7-6feb9e36d0e0.html
“We were hired to do a job and build a program and instill the things that we feel strongly about that I feel that you have to have to have a championship football team,” Stitt said Tuesday at the Big Sky Football Kickoff. “We've made a lot of progress and we've only been there two years. To think that you can build a program in two years, it just doesn't happen. It's usually a four, five year process. We're going to stay the course and do the things that we believe.”

http://www.contestgeneral.com/blog/college-football/2017-montana-football-preview/
Bob Stitt was hired at the end of 2014 to bring the program back to greatness.

Basically just read this entire article ( http://skylinesportsmt.com/patience-will-be-tested-in-pressure-packed-griz-season/ ), but here are a few choice selections:

Stitt, Montana’s third-year head coach, referenced Read’s admission in passing during his weekly press conference in the middle of a much longer monologue about helping Montana return to the pinnacle of the Football Championship Subdivision.
Still, the tenant Stitt wanted to emphasis still rings true within the parallel. Building a program is a process. Trusting the process through patience is key.

“Montana Grizzly football wasn’t built in a couple years,” Stitt said on Monday. “Coach Read came in here and chipped away at it until he had something great.

“We want to get it back to what everyone envisions and to those great years and piece by piece, we are putting this thing together. It’s going to be very strong in the end.”
“It’s why I came here, why I was hired,” Stitt said.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not one of those quotes says he was hired to "turn around" the program. Not one of those articles is based on a Haslam quote or interview. Those articles are from 7/18/17, 7/17/17 (and just a sports reporter saying that), and 8/31/17. They are all based on what Stitt said in SLC at the summer conference meetings.

Where are the quotes from when he was hired, or in the prior 2 years. You took one interview, and then said it said something it didn't say.

Like I said, I had never seen or heard anyone say Stitt was hired to turn around the problem.

I'm fine with him being hired to get UM back on top. Any coach UM would hire would be told that the school would like him to get the program back on top.
Well it seems even if I spent the rest of my night going through articles that either explicitly say it or imply it, you'd still insist it's not the case, so I'll just let you have this one, then. :lol:

3 points....

1. Bobby did win a lot of games, but he never won "the big one" as I recall. In '07 when he went undefeated and then lost in 1st round at home many of you were calling for his head. Short memory for some I know, but just a friendly reminder.

2. If there is not a "buzz" around Griz football, it's because some fans are fair weather. Delaney even made a comment about this during the Valpo game during the 3rd quarter with so many empty seats. Said that was one of his biggest complaints while a coach for Montana.

3. Sanctions have an effect on a program. While there are exceptions to the rule, see Ohio State, most have a big dip(last year for UM) before a steady climb back. Seems unrealistic to me to demand a national title first year off sanctions, which is what it will take for some to not call for Stitt's head. I don't know if Stitt's the answer, but this perpetual "I want things the way they used to be", is asinine.

Grizzly96 said:
3 points....

1. Bobby did win a lot of games, but he never won "the big one" as I recall. In '07 when he went undefeated and then lost in 1st round at home many of you were calling for his head. Short memory for some I know, but just a friendly reminder.

2. If there is not a "buzz" around Griz football, it's because some fans are fair weather. Delaney even made a comment about this during the Valpo game during the 3rd quarter with so many empty seats. Said that was one of his biggest complaints while a coach for Montana.

3. Sanctions have an effect on a program. While there are exceptions to the rule, see Ohio State, most have a big dip(last year for UM) before a steady climb back. Seems unrealistic to me to demand a national title first year off sanctions, which is what it will take for some to not call for Stitt's head. I don't know if Stitt's the answer, but this perpetual "I want things the way they used to be", is asinine.

+1

Talking about a "downward spiral" based on two data points is like cashing out all your stock because Tuesday's DOW was lower than Monday' Totally absurd. The Seattle writer is a tool. :lol:

'68griz said:
Grizzly96 said:
3 points....

+1

+2

Grizzly96 said:
3 points....

I know for myself I would be happy if he goes 8-3 or better this year.

RayWill said:
Grizzly96 said:
3 points....

Coach Stitt will be very happy if he goes 8=3 or better.

Our collective expectations have fallen so far many don't even realize it has happened. This is our new normal. Sad.

RayWill said:
Grizzly96 said:
3 points....

Agreed.... :clap:

Grizzly96 said:
3 points....

Ohio St.'s sanctions were much bigger than UM's. A one-year post-season ban. That impacts recruiting. Firing of the head coach. 5 players suspended for 5 games including the qb. Loss of 3 schoolies for 3 years. 3 years of probation. Ohio St. had self-imposed a number of additional things ahead of the ncaa action. Don't know if Ohio St continued with the self-imposed ones or reversed them, when the ncaa sanctions turned out to be worse than expected.

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Good grief, the non-scandals have been discussed ad nauseam on here. Few don't believe it had an impact.

Fill in the blank: Stitt was hired to____________________________________?

Your thought in bold above is front and center to what is happening RIGHT NOW...
Sure:

Stitt was hired to "get us back to where we used to be".

That implies that before he even got here we somehow fell down from where we were, no?

Last season was a step in the wrong direction, and this season is still too early to tell, but I don't see how saying we slipped a lot from 2011-2014 is so blasphemous.

It's not blasphemous; it's true. Some argue it started before then.

Ding, ding, ding on the fill in the blank answer. Stitt has led the team to exactly 2 wins in the last 7 games. Maybe it's too early to tell this season...maybe it is not. Honestly, the trajectory is NOT good. Stitt's job is to change that trajectory. We'll see.

Everybody knew...EVERYBODY knew we'd be 1-1 right now. After next weekend we'll be 2-1 and he'll have three wins in the last 8. Exactly where we expected to be after three games. Why are you NOW worried about what happene last year? There are different players, different plays, a different coach or two, etc., etc...what happened last year has ZERO bearing on where we go this year.

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Good grief, the non-scandals have been discussed ad nauseam on here. Few don't believe it had an impact.

Your thought in bold above is front and center to what is happening RIGHT NOW...
Sure:

That implies that before he even got here we somehow fell down from where we were, no?

Last season was a step in the wrong direction, and this season is still too early to tell, but I don't see how saying we slipped a lot from 2011-2014 is so blasphemous.

Ding, ding, ding on the fill in the blank answer. Stitt has led the team to exactly 2 wins in the last 7 games. Maybe it's too early to tell this season...maybe it is not. Honestly, the trajectory is NOT good. Stitt's job is to change that trajectory. We'll see.

Everybody knew...EVERYBODY knew we'd be 1-1 right now. After next weekend we'll be 2-1 and he'll have three wins in the last 8. Exactly where we expected to be after three games. Why are you NOW worried about what happene last year? There are different players, different plays, a different coach or two, etc., etc...what happened last year has ZERO bearing on where we go this year.

I don't agree with your last season aspect of the comment. If the end of last season was all or mostly on the coaches, then what happened last year would have a significant impact on this season. Same head coach. Same asst coaches for the most part. Think only one change, and he wasn't really replaced yet. I don't know what caused the collapse at the end of last season, but some people blame the coaches for at least some of it. There are other things. If the o-line was a big problem last year, it's essentially the same this year. The starters don't have any new Stitt recruits from last year. The one replacement is a Delaney holdover. There are more retained starters than new starters. If the players were the problem last year, they may be this year too. If the team couldn't win on the road last season, whether related to the players or coaches, it could also be a problem this season. I know the coaches have tried to work on that in the offseason.

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:

Sure:

First of all, I am not "worried" about anything. I did not get shot at today, so I am declaring victory. Trust me - I don't live and die by Griz football. I cheer like crazy for the team, the coaches, and the school in general. But, it's insane not to notice trends. The trend is currently not good...and yes, this extends to last year, and frankly the year before. It's not a big deal. Yes - the Griz will win next week.

At UM - Enrollment was down...down again...down again...stabilizing...there was a trend in there. Can you find it?

The thing that is constant is the HC. What's funny is I am not anti-Stitt. I am cheering for the guy.

The sugar here is intense. Some posters who used to be pretty objective....have consumed the entire pitcher of cool-aid. You're one of them AZ.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
I never said I liked the trend, but fail to see what last year's record has to do with our 1-1 record this season. Were you expecting 2-0? Or does the 1-4 end to the season last year mean the record this season doesn't matter?

This should not require explaining, so I will not do it.
Are you going to complain after he's 3 for his last 8 after this weekend, too? Damn, this guy is such a loser that he can't even win half his games.

If he wins the next week against EWU, he's still only 4 of 9. 5 of 10 after that, if he's lucky. Still not good enough.

Fire the asshole, amirite? :roll:
Somebody's losing this argument badly and it ain't uofmman.

Funny from a guy who won't even make an argument. Stick to softball...more your speed.

PlayerRep said:
Grizzly96 said:
3 points....

Ohio St.'s sanctions were much bigger than UM's. A one-year post-season ban. That impacts recruiting. Firing of the head coach. 5 players suspended for 5 games including the qb. Loss of 3 schoolies for 3 years. 3 years of probation. Ohio St. had self-imposed a number of additional things ahead of the ncaa action. Don't know if Ohio St continued with the self-imposed ones or reversed them, when the ncaa sanctions turned out to be worse than expected.

Agreed that Ohio State's sanctions were bigger, but loss of scholarships impacts recruiting period. Unfortunately, the nature of the reason for the sanctions against UM also impacted recruiting and enrollment numbers.

I was just saying that sanctions, no matter what they are, have an impact on a program.

Everyone has their opinion and I like Griz as much as anyone but what has stuck with me is the Cat game last year. Without a doubt it was the worst Griz performance in WG stadium since it opened in 1986. It wasn't just the offense but the defense was atrocious. Although the Cats were not a good team they clearly deserved to win the game - and I blame the loss on the coaches. In the post-game interview the Cat coaches talked about and pretty much laughed at the Griz defensive scheme that allowed their QB to run at will time after time. But let's see what happens. Coaches can get better with experience.

speth said:
Everyone has their opinion and I like Griz as much as anyone but what has stuck with me is the Cat game last year. Without a doubt it was the worst Griz performance in WG stadium since it opened in 1986. It wasn't just the offense but the defense was atrocious. Although the Cats were not a good team they clearly deserved to win the game - and I blame the loss on the coaches. In the post-game interview the Cat coaches talked about and pretty much laughed at the Griz defensive scheme that allowed their QB to run at will time after time. But let's see what happens. Coaches can get better with experience.

Did a half empty stadium starting the second half of that game stick with you as well? It was a 14-7 ballgame, we got the ball to start the second half against our most hated rival at home and......fans give our Griz a half empty stadium. Yet some hold the coaches and players to "expectations"!

Just to be clear, I share the same concerns and frustrations as many on here do. I'm not pro or anti Stitt either, I'm for and cheer for the Griz, the whole damn game!!

uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
I googled but didn't see quotes about Stitt being hired to turn around the program. Why don't you google, and give us the quotes and links?

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/relationships-goals-mindset-atop-bob-stitt-s-priority-list-for/article_c15064fe-6507-5896-a8b7-6feb9e36d0e0.html
“We were hired to do a job and build a program and instill the things that we feel strongly about that I feel that you have to have to have a championship football team,” Stitt said Tuesday at the Big Sky Football Kickoff. “We've made a lot of progress and we've only been there two years. To think that you can build a program in two years, it just doesn't happen. It's usually a four, five year process. We're going to stay the course and do the things that we believe.”

http://www.contestgeneral.com/blog/college-football/2017-montana-football-preview/
Bob Stitt was hired at the end of 2014 to bring the program back to greatness.

Basically just read this entire article ( http://skylinesportsmt.com/patience-will-be-tested-in-pressure-packed-griz-season/ ), but here are a few choice selections:

Stitt, Montana’s third-year head coach, referenced Read’s admission in passing during his weekly press conference in the middle of a much longer monologue about helping Montana return to the pinnacle of the Football Championship Subdivision.
Still, the tenant Stitt wanted to emphasis still rings true within the parallel. Building a program is a process. Trusting the process through patience is key.

“Montana Grizzly football wasn’t built in a couple years,” Stitt said on Monday. “Coach Read came in here and chipped away at it until he had something great.

“We want to get it back to what everyone envisions and to those great years and piece by piece, we are putting this thing together. It’s going to be very strong in the end.”
“It’s why I came here, why I was hired,” Stitt said.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not one of those quotes says he was hired to "turn around" the program. Not one of those articles is based on a Haslam quote or interview. Those articles are from 7/18/17, 7/17/17 (and just a sports reporter saying that), and 8/31/17. They are all based on what Stitt said in SLC at the summer conference meetings.

Where are the quotes from when he was hired, or in the prior 2 years. You took one interview, and then said it said something it didn't say.

Like I said, I had never seen or heard anyone say Stitt was hired to turn around the problem.

I'm fine with him being hired to get UM back on top. Any coach UM would hire would be told that the school would like him to get the program back on top.
Well it seems even if I spent the rest of my night going through articles that either explicitly say it or imply it, you'd still insist it's not the case, so I'll just let you have this one, then. :lol:
We all knew exactly what quote you were talking about and so did he as he already took issue with the "build a program" comment when it came out. Obviously you've never played the game.

garizzalies said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We all knew exactly what quote you were talking about and so did he as he already took issue with the "build a program" comment when it came out. Obviously you've never played the game.

So, where is the quote that backs this up? "As for the turn around quote, just search the Missoulian or SkylineSports pages, and you'll be covered." Note the words TURN AROUND.

Also, show us where Haslam or anyone, prior to summer 2017, said Stitt was hired to "build a program". They may exist, but I don't recall that. I recall being surprised when I saw that quote by Stitt this summer.

And, just answer the question. Don't try to change the goal post.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
Sure:

First of all, I am not "worried" about anything. I did not get shot at today, so I am declaring victory. Trust me - I don't live and die by Griz football. I cheer like crazy for the team, the coaches, and the school in general. But, it's insane not to notice trends. The trend is currently not good...and yes, this extends to last year, and frankly the year before. It's not a big deal. Yes - the Griz will win next week.

At UM - Enrollment was down...down again...down again...stabilizing...there was a trend in there. Can you find it?

The thing that is constant is the HC. What's funny is I am not anti-Stitt. I am cheering for the guy.

The sugar here is intense. Some posters who used to be pretty objective....have consumed the entire pitcher of cool-aid. You're one of them AZ.

I've not drunk anything. I'm just objective enough to understand that what happened last year has ZERO bearing on what happens this year. And I'm smart enough to withhold judgment on Stitt's future until I see how this year plays out.

Oh, and glad you didn't get shot at today. Keep your head down, bro. :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back