• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
We haven't been "good" since 2011, and blaming that on Stitt is just dumb.

The shit and aftermath of 2012's scandals decimated us in ways that are not obvious, which is especially frustrating when everyone still expects us to win the big sky and go to the semis every year.

UM was good Delaney's last 2 years. 10-3 (with losses to EWU and Coastal) and 9-5 (with losses to Wyo. NDSU, and 2 to EWU), playoffs, wins over the Cats and a top 10 and top 12 ranking those years, I believe. Please stop with the nonsense.
I don't dislike Delaney at all, but we were never a perennially awful road team until after 2011 (against good teams, sure, but never against bad teams). I know you won't agree with me, but it seems like that's become our culture, which Stitt has yet to do anything about.

I always felt under Delaney that our team's ceiling was never higher than the quarterfinals if we ever got a good draw. He had one playoff win against the worst playoff team that's ever been to Missoula. It's not his fault his teams had to play NDSU and EWU in the playoffs, but you can't knock the 2015 team for that, either, which beat a very good SDSU team the week before.

And as I've posted before, 2013 was our weakest schedule we had since 2007, and it showed when Coastal came in and punked our overconfident asses. And the 2014 team beat a hugely overrated MSU team without it's starting QB, the aforementioned awful San Diego team, and then looked listless against EWU.

Delaney's teams weren't as bad as Stitt's team last year, but they weren't quite what I would consider "good" relative to Griz teams in the past. If those count as "good" years in your book, then Stitt has had one good team and one bad team, same as Mick after 2 years.

It appears no one here wants to admit the scandals had any effect on our program, though.

In 2013, UM lost 1 road game. IN 2014, lost 5 road games (Wyo., NDSU, CP, twice to EWU). No shame in that road record, in my view. In 2012, UM didn't have JJ, and didn't have a qb on the roster who had completed a pass in college (is my recollection).

Don't agree that USD is worst playoff team to come to Missoula. Note that USD beat CP in the playoffs last year, by a couple TD's.

Don't agree that the 2013 schedule was weak. App St. A D-II. Coastal had a very good team that year, and played very well against UM (winning by 1 TD). Had nothing to do with punking overconfident asses. Coastal finished no. 7 in the final poll that year. UM was 8th.

Delaney's last two teams were good. How can you not recognize that finishing 8th and 12th in the final polls those years, were at least "good" years and "good" teams.

It appears to me that you want to blame way too much on "scandals"--and I have now clue why finishing 8th and 12th is not good enough for year, especially compared to the last several years.

uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Good grief, the non-scandals have been discussed ad nauseam on here. Few don't believe it had an impact.

Fill in the blank: Stitt was hired to____________________________________?

Your thought in bold above is front and center to what is happening RIGHT NOW...
Sure:

Stitt was hired to "get us back to where we used to be".

That implies that before he even got here we somehow fell down from where we were, no?

Last season was a step in the wrong direction, and this season is still too early to tell, but I don't see how saying we slipped a lot from 2011-2014 is so blasphemous.

It's not blasphemous; it's true. Some argue it started before then.

Ding, ding, ding on the fill in the blank answer. Stitt has led the team to exactly 2 wins in the last 7 games. Maybe it's too early to tell this season...maybe it is not. Honestly, the trajectory is NOT good. Stitt's job is to change that trajectory. We'll see.
I'm with AZ about the "last 7 games" argument. He can't change what happened last season, and if we were anything different from 2 in the last 7, Stitt would either have his extension already (after arguably the biggest win in program history), or very likely be nearly fired.

This season, we're right where we should be in terms of record. There have been some positives and negatives, but it makes no sense to put too much stock in 2 out of 7 from last year. Get back to me after we play Eastern, and we'll talk.

You like the trend....I do not. Despite changes in all kinds of variables, Stitt was the coach in all 7 of those games. I still have an open mind. Like I said, we'll see.

uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Good grief, the non-scandals have been discussed ad nauseam on here. Few don't believe it had an impact.

Fill in the blank: Stitt was hired to____________________________________?

Your thought in bold above is front and center to what is happening RIGHT NOW...
Sure:

That implies that before he even got here we somehow fell down from where we were, no?

Last season was a step in the wrong direction, and this season is still too early to tell, but I don't see how saying we slipped a lot from 2011-2014 is so blasphemous.

Some have said Stitt was hired to turn the program around? From nos. 8 and 12 in the final national polls, needs turning around? Okay, get us back to where we used to be? I guess I can accept that. Quite frankly, I thought he was hired to replace an aging coach, who had coached 3 years after being hired as an interim coach. Personally, I think that was not too far off from being handled the keys to the Cadillac.

I agree with the prior comment by someone who said that it's not blasphemous, it's just plain wrong.

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
Sure:

Ding, ding, ding on the fill in the blank answer. Stitt has led the team to exactly 2 wins in the last 7 games. Maybe it's too early to tell this season...maybe it is not. Honestly, the trajectory is NOT good. Stitt's job is to change that trajectory. We'll see.
I'm with AZ about the "last 7 games" argument. He can't change what happened last season, and if we were anything different from 2 in the last 7, Stitt would either have his extension already (after arguably the biggest win in program history), or very likely be nearly fired.

This season, we're right where we should be in terms of record. There have been some positives and negatives, but it makes no sense to put too much stock in 2 out of 7 from last year. Get back to me after we play Eastern, and we'll talk.

You like the trend....I do not. Despite changes in all kinds of variables, Stitt was the coach in all 7 of those games. I still have an open mind. Like I said, we'll see.
I never said I liked the trend, but fail to see what last year's record has to do with our 1-1 record this season. Were you expecting 2-0? Or does the 1-4 end to the season last year mean the record this season doesn't matter?

first11 said:
Waiting out for October 1st to offer any post stitt thoughts.

Hoping for at least a 3-2 record.
I think that's reasonable.

Anything worse than that, and we're in big trouble.

uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:

I never said I liked the trend, but fail to see what last year's record has to do with our 1-1 record this season. Were you expecting 2-0? Or does the 1-4 end to the season last year mean the record this season doesn't matter?

This should not require explaining, so I will not do it.

Under Bob Stitt our football program has taken a steady spiral down hill. "Winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing"!!!~Vince Lombardi We can not afford to let this thing go any further and by that I mean we can not give this guy another contract! Coaching football is not a life time position, (anywhere!) .Job security comes with winning. This is not based on the Washington game, alone... They were bigger,stronger, faster and just plain better than us!!! I am talking about FCS games. We are not a playoff team, anymore,( we are aa lower level conference team) and always will be under this regime!!! Bobby Hauck was arguably the best football coach in school history. He has made it clear he would like to come back and take this team back to prominence as an elite, national, front runner again. Bobby was at Montana seven years and he won the conference all seven years and went (undefeated several times)He beat the Smellykats every year he was here and went to the playoffs all seven years.. He took the Griz to the quarter finals and semi finals four times and the national championship three times!!! We need to be thinking Bobby Hauck right now folks!!! Yes he has some politcal correctness crap he needs to clean up and I'M SURE HE WILL!But he needs and deserves a shot Isay we give it to him!! This is a no-brainer Griz fans!!!

i_the_sky said:
Under Bob Stitt our football program has taken a steady spiral down hill. "Winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing"!!!~Vince Lombardi We can not afford to let this thing go any further and by that I mean we can not give this guy another contract! Coaching football is not a life time position, (anywhere!) .Job security comes with winning. This is not based on the Washington game, alone... They were bigger,stronger, faster and just plain better than us!!! I am talking about FCS games. We are not a playoff team, anymore,( we are aa lower level conference team) and always will be under this regime!!! Bobby Hauck was arguably the best football coach in school history. He has made it clear he would like to come back and take this team back to prominence as an elite, national, front runner again. Bobby was at Montana seven years and he won the conference all seven years and went (undefeated several times)He beat the Smellykats every year he was here and went to the playoffs all seven years.. He took the Griz to the quarter finals and semi finals four times and the national championship three times!!! We need to be thinking Bobby Hauck right now folks!!! Yes he has some politcal correctness crap he needs to clean up and I'M SURE HE WILL!But he needs and deserves a shot Isay we give it to him!! This is a no-brainer Griz fans!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

i_the_sky said:
Under Bob Stitt our football program has taken a steady spiral down hill. "Winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing"!!!~Vince Lombardi We can not afford to let this thing go any further and by that I mean we can not give this guy another contract! Coaching football is not a life time position, (anywhere!) .Job security comes with winning. This is not based on the Washington game, alone... They were bigger,stronger, faster and just plain better than us!!! I am talking about FCS games. We are not a playoff team, anymore,( we are a lower level conference team) and always will be under this regime!!! Bobby Hauck was arguably the best football coach in school history. He has made it clear he would like to come back and take this team back to prominence as an elite, national, front runner, again. Bobby was at Montana seven years and he won the conference all seven years and went (undefeated several times)He beat the Smellykats every year he was here and went to the playoffs all seven years.. He took the Griz to the quarter finals and semi finals four times and the national championship three times!!! We need to be thinking Bobby Hauck right now folks!!! Yes he has some political correctness crap to clean up and I'M SURE HE WILL!But he needs and deserves a shot I say we give it to him!! This is a no-brainer Griz fans!!!

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Are you going to complain after he's 3 for his last 8 after this weekend, too? Damn, this guy is such a loser that he can't even win half his games.

If he wins the next week against EWU, he's still only 4 of 9. 5 of 10 after that, if he's lucky. Still not good enough.

Fire the asshole, amirite? :roll:

i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:
Under Bob Stitt our football program has taken a steady spiral down hill. "Winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing"!!!~Vince Lombardi We can not afford to let this thing go any further and by that I mean we can not give this guy another contract! Coaching football is not a life time position, (anywhere!) .Job security comes with winning. This is not based on the Washington game, alone... They were bigger,stronger, faster and just plain better than us!!! I am talking about FCS games. We are not a playoff team,or even close( we are a lower level conference team) and always will be under this regime!!! Bobby Hauck was arguably the best football coach in school history. He has made it clear he would like to come back and bring this team back to prominence as an elite, national, front runner, again. Bobby was at Montana seven years and he won the conference all seven years and went (undefeated several times)He beat the Smellykats every year he was here and went to the playoffs all seven years as well ... He took the Griz to the quarter finals and semi finals four times and the national championship three times!!! We need to be thinking Bobby Hauck right now folks!!! Yes he has some political correctness crap to clean up and I'M SURE HE WILL!But he needs and deserves a shot I say we give it to him!! This is a no-brainer Griz fans!!!

I wonder if we can make the playoffs with an 8-8 record, you know, since the last 5 games of the previous season are such a big deal for our record this year.

i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:
Under Bob Stitt our football program has a steady spiral down hill. "Winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing"!!!~Vince Lombardi We can not afford to let this thing go any further and by that I mean we can not give this guy another contract! Coaching football is not a life time position, (anywhere!) .Job security comes with winning. This is not based on the Washington game, alone... They were bigger,stronger, faster and just plain better than us!!! I am talking about FCS games. We are not a playoff team,or even close( we are a lower level conference team, at best!) And always will be under this regime!!! Bobby Hauck was arguably the best football coach in school history. He has made it clear he would like to come back and bring this team back to prominence, as an elite, national, power again. Bobby was at Montana seven years and he won the conference all seven of those years going undefeated several times.He beat the Smellykats every year, he was here and went to the playoffs all seven years as well ... He took the Griz to the quarter finals and the semi finals four times and played in the national championship three times!!! We need to be thinking Bobby Hauck right now folks!!! Yes he has some political correctness crap to clean up and I'M SURE HE WILL!But he needs and deserves a shot I say we give it to him!! This is a no-brainer Griz fans!!!

George Ferguson said:
Well, for one the Griz didn't win the 2004 national championship. So there's that.

I have a t shirt that was bought as a Christmas present a little toooo early that says otherwise. Somebody counted their chicks before they were hatched. Needless to say, it's never been worn.

George Ferguson said:
Well, for one the Griz didn't win the 2004 national championship. So there's that. Secondly, they made the playoffs in Stitt's first year, and, the program actually MISSED the playoffs in two of the last five seasons BEFORE Stitt's arrival.

Facts are such stubborn things!

alabamagrizzly said:
George Ferguson said:
Well, for one the Griz didn't win the 2004 national championship. So there's that.

I have a t shirt that was bought as a Christmas present a little toooo early that says otherwise. Somebody counted their chicks before they were hatched. Needless to say, it's never been worn.
At least it wasn't a tattoo.

uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:

Are you going to complain after he's 3 for his last 8 after this weekend, too? Damn, this guy is such a loser that he can't even win half his games.

If he wins the next week against EWU, he's still only 4 of 9. 5 of 10 after that, if he's lucky. Still not good enough.

Fire the asshole, amirite? :roll:
Somebody's losing this argument badly and it ain't uofmman.

Back