• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
I never said I liked the trend, but fail to see what last year's record has to do with our 1-1 record this season. Were you expecting 2-0? Or does the 1-4 end to the season last year mean the record this season doesn't matter?

This should not require explaining, so I will not do it.
Are you going to complain after he's 3 for his last 8 after this weekend, too? Damn, this guy is such a loser that he can't even win half his games.

If he wins the next week against EWU, he's still only 4 of 9. 5 of 10 after that, if he's lucky. Still not good enough.

Fire the asshole, amirite? :roll:
Somebody's losing this argument badly and it ain't uofmman.
Seriously, NO ONE is happy about the end of last year, but acting like it's such a travesty that we could only win 2 of 7 is ridiculous.

We're 1-1.

Right where we should be.

i_the_sky said:
We need to be thinking Bobby Hauck right now folks!!!

I'm not going to opine, but it's interesting that more time has passed between BH's final game with the Griz and now than his entire tenure. He's been gone for longer than he was ever here. Just interesting, that's all.

i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:
i_the_sky said:
Under Bob Stitt our football program has a steady spiral down hill. "Winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing"!!!~Vince Lombardi We can not afford to let this thing go any further and by that I mean we can not give this guy another contract! Coaching football is not a life time position, (anywhere!) .Job security comes with winning. This is not based on the Washington game, alone... They were bigger,stronger, faster and just plain better than us!!! I am talking about FCS games. We are not a playoff team,or even close( we are a lower level conference team, at best!) And always will be under this regime!!! Bobby Hauck was arguably the best football coach in school history. He has made it clear he would like to come back and bring this team back to prominence, as an elite, national, power again. Bobby was at Montana seven years and he won the conference all seven of those years going undefeated several times.He beat the Smellykats every year, he was here and went to the playoffs all seven years as well ... He took the Griz to the quarter finals four times, winning all four games and went to the semi finals winning three times and played in the national championship three times!!! We need to be thinking Bobby Hauck right now folks!!! Maybe he has some political correctness crap to clean up and I'M SURE HE WILL!But first he needs and deserves a shot I say we give it to him!! This is a no-brainier Griz fans!!!

uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
Some have said Stitt was hired to turn the program around?
Yes...like almost literally everyone, including Stitt.

Why does a program ranked nos. 8 and 12 in the final polls, making the playoffs and beating the Cats, the two prior years, need "turning around"? At most, a small tune up to the Cadillac would have been in order.

I saw a Stitt quote, but except on egriz, I have almost never seen or heard anyone say that Stitt was hired to turn around the program.

CDAGRIZ said:
i_the_sky said:

I'm not going to opine, but it's interesting that more time has passed between BH's final game with the Griz and now than his entire tenure. He's been gone for longer than he was ever here. Just interesting, that's all.

Damn CDA, some coworkers and I were just discussing exactly how long Bobby has been gone this morning and trying to put it into some sort of perspective! Do you have ESPN or something?

uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Good grief, the non-scandals have been discussed ad nauseam on here. Few don't believe it had an impact.

Fill in the blank: Stitt was hired to____________________________________?

Your thought in bold above is front and center to what is happening RIGHT NOW...
Sure:

Stitt was hired to "get us back to where we used to be".

That implies that before he even got here we somehow fell down from where we were, no?

Last season was a step in the wrong direction, and this season is still too early to tell, but I don't see how saying we slipped a lot from 2011-2014 is so blasphemous.

It's not blasphemous; it's true. Some argue it started before then.

Ding, ding, ding on the fill in the blank answer. Stitt has led the team to exactly 2 wins in the last 7 games. Maybe it's too early to tell this season...maybe it is not. Honestly, the trajectory is NOT good. Stitt's job is to change that trajectory. We'll see.
I'm with AZ about the "last 7 games" argument. He can't change what happened last season, and if we were anything different from 2 in the last 7, Stitt would either have his extension already (after arguably the biggest win in program history), or very likely be nearly fired.

This season, we're right where we should be in terms of record. There have been some positives and negatives, but it makes no sense to put too much stock in 2 out of 7 from last year. Get back to me after we play Eastern, and we'll talk.

+1

MTGRZ said:
grizd said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
We haven't been "good" since 2011, and blaming that on Stitt is just dumb.

The shit and aftermath of 2012's scandals decimated us in ways that are not obvious, which is especially frustrating when everyone still expects us to win the big sky and go to the semis every year.

UM was good Delaney's last 2 years. 10-3 (with losses to EWU and Coastal) and 9-5 (with losses to Wyo. NDSU, and 2 to EWU), playoffs, wins over the Cats and a top 10 and top 12 ranking those years, I believe. Please stop with the nonsense.

I don't get why people get so worked up about defending Stitt yet are so quick to throw Delaney under the bus. Both are nice guys, neither is a great head coach IMO. There may be an ascent coming (hopefully) but I know there is a definite reduction in interest. Very similar decline to that of Carroll....hoping UM doesn't go that low.

I am curious as to why you say, "reduction of interest." I agree, but I would like to know more specifics. The University of Montana as a whole? The athletic department? The football team? All of the above? Just curious as to why you say that.

Nothing concrete. Just doesn't seem to be the buzz around Griz football like it used to be. Much easier to get tickets, has become less of an "event", and more blue and gold than ever across the State.

PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:

Why does a program ranked nos. 8 and 12 in the final polls, making the playoffs and beating the Cats, the two prior years, need "turning around"? At most, a small tune up to the Cadillac would have been in order.

I saw a Stitt quote, but except on egriz, I have almost never seen or heard anyone say that Stitt was hired to turn around the program.
As for the turn around quote, just search the Missoulian or SkylineSports pages, and you'll be covered.

As for the first point, it's all about expectations. If the expectations are making the playoffs and beating the cats, those aren't bad years at all.

But it seems a large number of Griz fans expect top 4 finishes, Big Sky championships, and national title chases. We haven't been close to that in 6 years. My personal belief is that a little more than a tuneup was necessary to get back to that, and I don't think I'm alone.

PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:

I've heard Stitt himself say that he was hired to build the program, but built it the right way. To me, that's turn it around.

PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:

I agree 100%. The program was good (not great) and would have not lost those games down the stretch last year. Mick deserves credit for having a team that were far superior to last year's team. The program is "trending" down after 2 years if Stitt. Not saying the trend will continue this year, but it better turn around and turn around fast or change is needed. Time for excuses is over

Stitt was hired to make America great again. No ifs, ands, or buts. If he can't get 'er done, it's time to bring on Jimmy McElwain or somebody who can get 'er done.

uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:

As for the turn around quote, just search the Missoulian or SkylineSports pages, and you'll be covered.

As for the first point, it's all about expectations. If the expectations are making the playoffs and beating the cats, those aren't bad years at all.

But it seems a large number of Griz fans expect top 4 finishes, Big Sky championships, and national title chases. We haven't been close to that in 6 years. My personal belief is that a little more than a tuneup was necessary to get back to that, and I don't think I'm alone.

I googled but didn't see quotes about Stitt being hired to turn around the program. Why don't you google, and give us the quotes and links?

Htowngriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
i_the_sky said:

Damn CDA, some coworkers and I were just discussing exactly how long Bobby has been gone this morning and trying to put it into some sort of perspective! Do you have ESPN or something?

Interestingly enough, I was just discussing this with some coworkers when I had the strange feeling you posted this exact post. I also went ahead and posted this on the Youngstown State message board just to let them know. I have like 650 posts on there since I joined like two years ago. I'm not obsessed.

CDAGRIZ said:
Htowngriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
i_the_sky said:

Interestingly enough, I was just discussing this with some coworkers when I had the strange feeling you posted this exact post. I also went ahead and posted this on the Youngstown State message board just to let them know. I have like 650 posts on there since I joined like two years ago. I'm not obsessed.

Wht don't you also post on the EWU board, they can use the hits? They love us.

jodcon said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Htowngriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Wht don't you also post on the EWU board, they can use the hits? They love us.

Great idea, Jodcon. Some coworkers and I were just going through a list of places I could post this. Redrocket.com was at or near the tip.

Could any of you spare a co-worker or two? Feeling left out. #sad @ this point I think I'd even settle for a coworker.

PlayerRep said:
I googled but didn't see quotes about Stitt being hired to turn around the program. Why don't you google, and give us the quotes and links?
Well, not to go all 75, but since you asked...

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/relationships-goals-mindset-atop-bob-stitt-s-priority-list-for/article_c15064fe-6507-5896-a8b7-6feb9e36d0e0.html
“We were hired to do a job and build a program and instill the things that we feel strongly about that I feel that you have to have to have a championship football team,” Stitt said Tuesday at the Big Sky Football Kickoff. “We've made a lot of progress and we've only been there two years. To think that you can build a program in two years, it just doesn't happen. It's usually a four, five year process. We're going to stay the course and do the things that we believe.”

http://www.contestgeneral.com/blog/college-football/2017-montana-football-preview/
Bob Stitt was hired at the end of 2014 to bring the program back to greatness.

Basically just read this entire article ( http://skylinesportsmt.com/patience-will-be-tested-in-pressure-packed-griz-season/ ), but here are a few choice selections:

Stitt, Montana’s third-year head coach, referenced Read’s admission in passing during his weekly press conference in the middle of a much longer monologue about helping Montana return to the pinnacle of the Football Championship Subdivision.
Still, the tenant Stitt wanted to emphasis still rings true within the parallel. Building a program is a process. Trusting the process through patience is key.

“Montana Grizzly football wasn’t built in a couple years,” Stitt said on Monday. “Coach Read came in here and chipped away at it until he had something great.

“We want to get it back to what everyone envisions and to those great years and piece by piece, we are putting this thing together. It’s going to be very strong in the end.”
“It’s why I came here, why I was hired,” Stitt said.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
Well, not to go all 75, but since you asked...

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/relationships-goals-mindset-atop-bob-stitt-s-priority-list-for/article_c15064fe-6507-5896-a8b7-6feb9e36d0e0.html
“We were hired to do a job and build a program and instill the things that we feel strongly about that I feel that you have to have to have a championship football team,” Stitt said Tuesday at the Big Sky Football Kickoff. “We've made a lot of progress and we've only been there two years. To think that you can build a program in two years, it just doesn't happen. It's usually a four, five year process. We're going to stay the course and do the things that we believe.”

http://www.contestgeneral.com/blog/college-football/2017-montana-football-preview/
Bob Stitt was hired at the end of 2014 to bring the program back to greatness.

Basically just read this entire article ( http://skylinesportsmt.com/patience-will-be-tested-in-pressure-packed-griz-season/ ), but here are a few choice selections:

Stitt, Montana’s third-year head coach, referenced Read’s admission in passing during his weekly press conference in the middle of a much longer monologue about helping Montana return to the pinnacle of the Football Championship Subdivision.
Still, the tenant Stitt wanted to emphasis still rings true within the parallel. Building a program is a process. Trusting the process through patience is key.

“Montana Grizzly football wasn’t built in a couple years,” Stitt said on Monday. “Coach Read came in here and chipped away at it until he had something great.

“We want to get it back to what everyone envisions and to those great years and piece by piece, we are putting this thing together. It’s going to be very strong in the end.”
“It’s why I came here, why I was hired,” Stitt said.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not one of those quotes says he was hired to "turn around" the program. Not one of those articles is based on a Haslam quote or interview. Those articles are from 7/18/17, 7/17/17 (and just a sports reporter saying that), and 8/31/17. They are all based on what Stitt said in SLC at the summer conference meetings.

Where are the quotes from when he was hired, or in the prior 2 years. You took one interview, and then said it said something it didn't say.

Like I said, I had never seen or heard anyone say Stitt was hired to turn around the problem.

I'm fine with him being hired to get UM back on top. Any coach UM would hire would be told that the school would like him to get the program back on top.

Back