• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Seattle Times pre-game evaluation of Stitt

Delaney is a good football mind and a good coach. Came back during a difficult situation. Recruited some good players. Deserves much more respect than he has been given for what he did, IMO...

Saying that, he didn't put enough emphasis in recruiting offensive linemen. The lack of depth and struggles the past few years of the OL is at the very least partially attributed to that.

Sam A. Blitz said:
Delaney is a good football mind and a good coach. Came back during a difficult situation. Recruited some good players. Deserves much more respect than he has been given for what he did, IMO...

Saying that, he didn't put enough emphasis in recruiting offensive linemen. The lack of depth and struggles the past few years of the OL is at the very least partially attributed to that.

How do you explain that, in Stitt's 3d year, 4 of the 5 starting o-lineman were recruited in the Delaney era? If the Delaney recruits were so bad, how can they be starting now, and why hasn't Stitt been able to recruit better drop-downs, JC's and stud high school players able to beat out the holdovers?

PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Read this entire thread, and have concluded way too many people have way too much time on their hands. Arguing about insignificant minutiae seems to be the norm.

Big picture time.

Delaney was a nice guy but his teams under performed and the cupboard was left thin at many positions due to underwhelming recruiting. The times he was out coached and made boneheaded game decisions have been well hashed out for years. We lost to CC in the playoffs because an outstanding coach was prepared for cold and loud, and Griz predictability. Do you remember how many over the top long pass plays Ty's D gave up from late 1st qtr to halftime? I was disappointed with Mick's results more so than I have been with Stitt's. And Mick was a part of this team for a long time, and part of the culture that developed in the locker room. This is the first year the culture there is truly Stitt's. The process of getting to this point has been hell for Stitt, his coaches and his recruits, which seems to be ignored or dismissed by those who wanted someone else hired.

It's true, Stitt and his coaches have been given an education by many coaches at this level the last two years. But with Delaney's resume, he had no excuses. I suspect nobody knew the rocky road ahead for this team in 2016 better than the man who jumped ship, leaving and anchor out in his DC. Stitt inherited a depleted roster with scholarship losses that translate to more than 4 per year when spread into partials. Lots of our most beloved and successful players over the years have come from the walk on or partial scholly lists. How many diamonds in the rough were missed in the last 4 years?

Stitt's coaches have been very good at several things, including recruiting athletes who appear to be solid students and players. We are going to see as this season progresses whether they can coach these kids into top team performers. Everyone says for players to be great at this level they have to learn from their mistakes and have short memories about their bad performances in the last game. Yet those who don't like the Stitt hire won't give them the same courtesy.

I want Stitt and this team to succeed for themselves, not for me or the sake of egriz nation. I used to come here to learn about the team and more about the game of football, but can't seem to find much of it in all the constant juvenile pissing matches.

This is a young and talented team of players and coaches. I'm optimistic they will figure it out but the one thing that is overlooked by just about everyone who posts is that this is not the same football scene as back in the Read-Hauck eras. We tapped a recruiting pool of more I-A (FBS) quality recruits and transfers than other BSC teams and won with far superior talent. Other BSC teams have figured this out and we no longer have that edge. NDSU has been full of Big 10 quality talent the last 10 years, especially kids from Minnesota that wanted to play on a winner (not the Gophers) and still play close to home so their parents can watch them play. Other MVC teams have caught on and that gap is closing. But the teams in the FCS final 4 all have this talent gap in their favor.

If Stitt's recruiting classes turn out to be as good on the field as they are on paper we will have that edge again. This year will let us know if that is happening, and if it is, we are in good hands. In the meantime, last year's record doesn't mean sh*t to this years' or the next years' or the next years' teams success. It only means something to those posters who never wanted Stitt in the first place, and that is one selfish priority.

And one last thing about Stitt's offense. Like every other offensive scheme, it does not have a chance without great Oline play. If this was the pros, Stitt could buy an instant Oline much like the Vikings did in the off season. It looks better this year, but when a senior center who calls the line assignments is 10 yards down field on a pass play that negates a TD, it tells me issues are not just size and speed. I've watched our running backs hit the hole before the pulling line man several times this year, where if the lineman gets to the linebacker first the play goes for a big gain. Because we have a very good line coach I am hopeful these things can be cleaned up. But the skill players can't fully shine until they are cleaned up.

Ok, back to the minutiae. I'm ready for my beating. And I know, tonight I have way too much time on my hands.

How can you say such dumb and incorrect stuff. Your first 2 sentences have no basis in fact. Just not true. You truly don't understand the game of football. Almost everything that you post is off base. When Delaney had a qb, his teams were good. What position did he leave the cupboard empty? When was he outc oached?

"Delaney was a nice guy but his teams under performed and the cupboard was left thin at many positions due to underwhelming recruiting. The times he was out coached and made boneheaded game decisions have been well hashed out for years. "

To answer your question about how many long passes the UM D gave up from the late first quarter to halftime, the answer is zero. UM gave up one pass over 20 yards the entire game, and that one occurred early in the first quarter.

Like I said, you just make up stuff and don't have a clue about the game of football.

Watched several of the TD passes into the NEZ in 2nd qtr. Delaneys oline recruits just got another QB killed. Apology accepted you dipshit know it all.

horribilisfan8184 said:
PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Read this entire thread, and have concluded way too many people have way too much time on their hands. Arguing about insignificant minutiae seems to be the norm.

Big picture time.

Delaney was a nice guy but his teams under performed and the cupboard was left thin at many positions due to underwhelming recruiting. The times he was out coached and made boneheaded game decisions have been well hashed out for years. We lost to CC in the playoffs because an outstanding coach was prepared for cold and loud, and Griz predictability. Do you remember how many over the top long pass plays Ty's D gave up from late 1st qtr to halftime? I was disappointed with Mick's results more so than I have been with Stitt's. And Mick was a part of this team for a long time, and part of the culture that developed in the locker room. This is the first year the culture there is truly Stitt's. The process of getting to this point has been hell for Stitt, his coaches and his recruits, which seems to be ignored or dismissed by those who wanted someone else hired.

It's true, Stitt and his coaches have been given an education by many coaches at this level the last two years. But with Delaney's resume, he had no excuses. I suspect nobody knew the rocky road ahead for this team in 2016 better than the man who jumped ship, leaving and anchor out in his DC. Stitt inherited a depleted roster with scholarship losses that translate to more than 4 per year when spread into partials. Lots of our most beloved and successful players over the years have come from the walk on or partial scholly lists. How many diamonds in the rough were missed in the last 4 years?

Stitt's coaches have been very good at several things, including recruiting athletes who appear to be solid students and players. We are going to see as this season progresses whether they can coach these kids into top team performers. Everyone says for players to be great at this level they have to learn from their mistakes and have short memories about their bad performances in the last game. Yet those who don't like the Stitt hire won't give them the same courtesy.

I want Stitt and this team to succeed for themselves, not for me or the sake of egriz nation. I used to come here to learn about the team and more about the game of football, but can't seem to find much of it in all the constant juvenile pissing matches.

This is a young and talented team of players and coaches. I'm optimistic they will figure it out but the one thing that is overlooked by just about everyone who posts is that this is not the same football scene as back in the Read-Hauck eras. We tapped a recruiting pool of more I-A (FBS) quality recruits and transfers than other BSC teams and won with far superior talent. Other BSC teams have figured this out and we no longer have that edge. NDSU has been full of Big 10 quality talent the last 10 years, especially kids from Minnesota that wanted to play on a winner (not the Gophers) and still play close to home so their parents can watch them play. Other MVC teams have caught on and that gap is closing. But the teams in the FCS final 4 all have this talent gap in their favor.

If Stitt's recruiting classes turn out to be as good on the field as they are on paper we will have that edge again. This year will let us know if that is happening, and if it is, we are in good hands. In the meantime, last year's record doesn't mean sh*t to this years' or the next years' or the next years' teams success. It only means something to those posters who never wanted Stitt in the first place, and that is one selfish priority.

And one last thing about Stitt's offense. Like every other offensive scheme, it does not have a chance without great Oline play. If this was the pros, Stitt could buy an instant Oline much like the Vikings did in the off season. It looks better this year, but when a senior center who calls the line assignments is 10 yards down field on a pass play that negates a TD, it tells me issues are not just size and speed. I've watched our running backs hit the hole before the pulling line man several times this year, where if the lineman gets to the linebacker first the play goes for a big gain. Because we have a very good line coach I am hopeful these things can be cleaned up. But the skill players can't fully shine until they are cleaned up.

Ok, back to the minutiae. I'm ready for my beating. And I know, tonight I have way too much time on my hands.

How can you say such dumb and incorrect stuff. Your first 2 sentences have no basis in fact. Just not true. You truly don't understand the game of football. Almost everything that you post is off base. When Delaney had a qb, his teams were good. What position did he leave the cupboard empty? When was he outc oached?

"Delaney was a nice guy but his teams under performed and the cupboard was left thin at many positions due to underwhelming recruiting. The times he was out coached and made boneheaded game decisions have been well hashed out for years. "

To answer your question about how many long passes the UM D gave up from the late first quarter to halftime, the answer is zero. UM gave up one pass over 20 yards the entire game, and that one occurred early in the first quarter.

Like I said, you just make up stuff and don't have a clue about the game of football.

Watched several of the TD passes into the NEZ in 2nd qtr. Delaneys oline recruits just got another QB killed. Apology accepted you dipshit know it all.

No sacks given up today. First team o-line has only given up 1 sack this season. You are an idiot. Probably a moron.

PlayerRep said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

How do you explain that, in Stitt's 3d year, 4 of the 5 starting o-lineman were recruited in the Delaney era? If the Delaney recruits were so bad, how can they be starting now, and why hasn't Stitt been able to recruit better drop-downs, JC's and stud high school players able to beat out the holdovers?
Honest question, how many of those senior olinemen weren't recruited as lineman? At least one, I think two?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

grzz said:
PlayerRep said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

Honest question, how many of those senior olinemen weren't recruited as lineman? At least one, I think two?

2 recruited as TE's. Sprunk and Ralstrom. It's not uncommon to recruit TE's and move them to o-line. Some of the best o-lineman in nation came in a TE's. See Brian O"Neill of Pitt, for example.

Does it diminish Hauck's recruiting that they recruited and brought in Trumaine Johnson as a receiver? Or Tate Hancock as a running back? Or Jamaal ? as a fullback. Or Simis as a qb Or Gamboa as a safety? Or Andy Thompson as I think a qb? Or Pfahaussen as a qb?

PlayerRep said:
Does it diminish Hauck's recruiting that they recruited and brought in Trumaine Johnson as a receiver? Or Tate Hancock as a running back? Or Jamaal ? as a fullback. Or Simis as a qb Or Gamboa as a safety? Or Andy Thompson as I think a qb? Or Pfahaussen as a qb?
Calm down, I'm not starting a fight.

I do believe that both position switches occurred under this staff and Germer deserves most of the credit for turning them into productive starters. I don't think it is all that accurate to give Delaney much recruiting credit for guys being switched to new positions after he left. Recruited good athletes, yes. To say he put emphasis on oline recruitment based on two guys who weren't olineman when he retired feels generous to me, that is all. In my book, Germer gets the credit for that.

grzz said:
PlayerRep said:

I do believe that both position switches occurred under this staff and Germer deserves most of the credit for turning them into productive starters. I don't think it is all that accurate to give Delaney much recruiting credit for guys being switched to new positions after he left. Recruited good athletes, yes. To say he put emphasis on oline recruitment based on two guys who weren't olineman when he retired feels generous to me, that is all. In my book, Germer gets the credit for that.

You calm down. No one is starting fight.I wasn't even addressing my comment to you. It was a general comment. Are you so insecure about football that you are afraid to have a discussion?

Sorry, but if you think a head coach doesn't get credit for recruiting a kid who switches positions, then you really don't understand the game of football. Yes, of course, Germer gets huge credit for the o-line. Do you think Hauck doesn't get credit for recruiting Tru? Does that go the corner coach, who I think might have been Hudson at the time?

PlayerRep said:
grzz said:
PlayerRep said:

You calm down. No one is starting fight.I wasn't even addressing my comment to you. It was a general comment. Are you so insecure about football that you are afraid to have a discussion?

Sorry, but if you think a head coach doesn't get credit for recruiting a kid who switches positions, then you really don't understand the game of football. Yes, of course, Germer gets huge credit for the o-line. Do you think Hauck doesn't get credit for recruiting Tru? Does that go the corner coach, who I think might have been Hudson at the time?
A general comment about guys who have switched positions right after my post asking about guys switching positions...ok.

I literally said, in the post, that he recruited good athletes in both of them. He definitely gets credit for that.

You jumped on a poster who criticized Delaney by saying he didn't put enough emphasis on recruiting o lineman. Two of the four seniors he recruited that currently start on the o line weren't o line recruits and became o lineman after Delaney left. The poster wasn't completely wrong in his statement about that.

My post contributed to the conversation. That is the point of a message board, after all.

For the record, I don't agree with the poster who criticized the o line play today. I am very happy with it, actually!

And since you resorted, yet again, to your favorite insult whenever someone disagrees with you, let me say that your opinion of my football knowledge or understanding could not matter to me less than it does.

I'm not going to respond again because everyone reading this thread understands the point I am making and the distinction I am drawing.

Good night PR.

PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
PlayerRep said:
horribilisfan8184 said:

Big picture time.

No sacks given up today. First team o-line has only given up 1 sack this season. You are an idiot. Probably a moron.
Well, which is it? Idiot or Moron? Please elaborate on the subtle differences between the two....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grzz said:
PlayerRep said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

Thayne Jackson was rotating with Ralston this game at right tackle.

grzz said:
PlayerRep said:
grzz said:
PlayerRep said:

A general comment about guys who have switched positions right after my post asking about guys switching positions...ok.

I literally said, in the post, that he recruited good athletes in both of them. He definitely gets credit for that.

You jumped on a poster who criticized Delaney by saying he didn't put enough emphasis on recruiting o lineman. Two of the four seniors he recruited that currently start on the o line weren't o line recruits and became o lineman after Delaney left. The poster wasn't completely wrong in his statement about that.

My post contributed to the conversation. That is the point of a message board, after all.

For the record, I don't agree with the poster who criticized the o line play today. I am very happy with it, actually!

And since you resorted, yet again, to your favorite insult whenever someone disagrees with you, let me say that your opinion of my football knowledge or understanding could not matter to me less than it does.

I'm not going to respond again because everyone reading this thread understands the point I am making and the distinction I am drawing.

Good night PR.

I make a post directed at no one, asking only questions, with nothing else and no insults, and you respond with: "Calm down."

Is this your idea of "jumping" on a poster: "How do you explain that, in Stitt's 3d year, 4 of the 5 starting o-lineman were recruited in the Delaney era? If the Delaney recruits were so bad, how can they be starting now, and why hasn't Stitt been able to recruit better drop-downs, JC's and stud high school players able to beat out the holdovers?"

Where's the "jumping" part? Looks like two questions to me.

You have a tenancy to overreact. This little exchange was a good example. You don't seem to react well when someone disagrees with you, sometimes. One word of advice. When you read a post asking questions, and it's not directed at you or anyone, consider not starting your response over that post by saying: "Calm down."

I answered your questions and provided feedback. Yes, 2 TE's converted to o-line. Named them. Yes, Germer deserves credit. 4 Delaney recruits starting at o-line in 3 years after Delaney retired. Just don't see how supporters of the new coach can complain that Delaney left the o-line cupboard empty if, in 3 years, the new coach has only recruited 1 current starter on the o-line.

Still like you, Grzz and always will. It's just a friendly internet discussion, at least on my side.

PlayerRep said:
grzz said:
PlayerRep said:
grzz said:

Good night PR.

I make a post directed at no one, asking only questions, with nothing else and no insults, and you respond with: "Calm down."

Is this your idea of "jumping" on a poster: "How do you explain that, in Stitt's 3d year, 4 of the 5 starting o-lineman were recruited in the Delaney era? If the Delaney recruits were so bad, how can they be starting now, and why hasn't Stitt been able to recruit better drop-downs, JC's and stud high school players able to beat out the holdovers?"

You have a tenancy to overreact. This little exchange was a good example. You don't seem to react well when someone disagrees with you, sometimes. One word of advice. When you read a post asking questions, and it's not directed at you or anyone, consider not starting your response over that post by saying: "Calm down."

I answered your questions and provided feedback. Yes, 2 TE's converted to o-line. Named them. Yes, Germer deserves credit. 4 Delaney recruits starting at o-line in 3 years after Delaney retired. Just don't see how supporters of the new coach can complain that Delaney left the o-line cupboard empty if, in 3 years, the new coach has only recruited 1 current starter on the o-line.

Still like you, Grzz and always will. It's just a friendly internet discussion, at least on my side.

Calm Down.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
grzz said:
PlayerRep said:

Good night PR.

Calm Down.

Learn something about the game.

PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
grzz said:

Good night PR.

Calm Down.

Don't have too, I'm a fan. As long as they score I'm happy. As long as the prevent the other team from scoring I'm happy. As long as we win I'm happy. How it gets done? I could care less. So, sadly for you - that excuse means absolutely nothing to me. lol

Boys, boys, boys......I know times are tough. But let's try to keep things civil. We all have different opinions, and that's fine. We also need to understand others have other opinions, and that's ok. Let's just sit back, take a deep breath, and look forward to EWU. I guarantee that is what the team is doing. Go Griz!

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:

Calm Down.

Don't have too, I'm a fan. As long as they score I'm happy. As long as the prevent the other team from scoring I'm happy. As long as we win I'm happy. How it gets done? I could care less. So, sadly for you - that excuse means absolutely nothing to me. lol

I was just joking. I figured your comment to me was just a joke, so I gave a little back to you. All good.

Back