• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

reno

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You will never see an on-campus tournament as long as all teams particiapate.

And therein lies your problem.

But I don't think it is a problem having all teams participate.

And therein lies our disagreement! :cool:

If you are not going to let all teams participate, why have a tournament at all? Conference winner takes it all.

Too big and takes all week and of course no attendance.
Top 6 teams would make the regular season mean something. If the bottom are not good enough to go then tough, get better. The bcs could lose a few teams to get lean and mean.

There are more people participating in this discussion than are actually attending the games in Reno!

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

If you are not going to let all teams participate, why have a tournament at all? Conference winner takes it all.

If you are going to let everyone participate in the tourney why have a season at all? Tourney winner takes it all. Just kidding. Couldnt help myself

cmtgrizzly said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

If you are going to let everyone participate in the tourney why have a season at all? Tourney winner takes it all. Just kidding. Couldnt help myself

:lol:

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizWhiz said:
I know this, if the tournament was in Billings, Spokane or even Butte, I would go. Reno, though, is out of the question.

Honestly, why do people keep throwing Butte into the discussion?

Has a large enough facility to host the tournament, lodging may be the only issue but it would be close. Easy drive from Bozeman and Missoula and a lot of local fans will make that drive rather than fly to Reno. Realistically, EWU, UM, MSU, ISU, Weber and SUU could all drive to Butte. Not as wild of an idea as you make it seem, it can't be much more difficult than holding a Montana high school state basketball tournament with 16 teams....

putter said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizWhiz said:
I know this, if the tournament was in Billings, Spokane or even Butte, I would go. Reno, though, is out of the question.

Has a large enough facility to host the tournament, lodging may be the only issue but it would be close. Easy drive from Bozeman and Missoula and a lot of local fans will make that drive rather than fly to Reno. Realistically, EWU, UM, MSU, ISU, Weber and SUU could all drive to Butte. Not as wild of an idea as you make it seem, it can't be much more difficult than holding a Montana high school state basketball tournament with 16 teams....

Putter, dream on. It is a completely wild dream.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

FULLY in support of that plan. But it will never happen because the conference makes money on the tournament. Money is the ONLY reason conference tournaments exist.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

FULLY in support of that plan. But it will never happen because the conference makes money on the tournament. Money is the ONLY reason conference tournaments exist.

Once again, at this level money is not the driving factor. The Conference does not make as much as you are suggesting. The Conference is driven by money from the individual schools and the individual schools are the main proponent for the tournament.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

Once again, at this level money is not the driving factor. The Conference does not make as much as you are suggesting. The Conference is driven by money from the individual schools and the individual schools are the main proponent for the tournament.

ALL conference tournaments exist to drive revenue. Period. No, the bsc doesn't get much vis a vis many conferences, but I can assure you the league offices get net revenue from this tournament.

The neutral location and the fact that all teams are invited are mandates from the individual schools who want to save a ridiculously small amount of money.

HelenaHandBasket said:
putter said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizWhiz said:

Putter, dream on. It is a completely wild dream.

I don't think it will ever happen, just that it is not far fetched if you are looking at infrastructure

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

ALL conference tournaments exist to drive revenue. Period. No, the bsc doesn't get much vis a vis many conferences, but I can assure you the league offices get net revenue from this tournament.

The neutral location and the fact that all teams are invited are mandates from the individual schools who want to save a ridiculously small amount of money.

Everett, you are pretty much proving my point. The schools are the driving force behind the tournament structure and the Conference looks to minimize costs for both them in conducting the tournament and for each school participating.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

Everett, you are pretty much proving my point. The schools are the driving force behind the tournament structure and the Conference looks to minimize costs for both them in conducting the tournament and for each school participating.

... Which means that it really does not matter if fans of any of the teams attend. Except, of course, that it's a means of killing -- year by year -- any fan interest in conference games.

grizzlyjournal said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

... Which means that it really does not matter if fans of any of the teams attend. Except, of course, that it's a means of killing -- year by year -- any fan interest in conference games.

I think BSC basketball attendance already shows that most don't care now.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

You have to applaud the conference's budget conscious choice of bringing character actor Claude Akins out of retirement to provide color for the broadcasts. That was great! :roll:

tve147-19890418-218.jpg

Ursa Major said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You have to applaud the conference's budget conscious choice of bringing character actor Claude Akins out of retirement to provide color for the broadcasts. That was great! :roll:

tve147-19890418-218.jpg
Claude has been dead for twenty three years. Come to think of it, a dead color broadcaster would be a perfect match for the atmosphere during the games inside of the Reno Events Center. :oops:

Any of the 6 top teams hosting the tournament would have outdrawn the entire week of reno, easily,
In addition to having a basketball atmosphere.

fanofzoo said:
Any of the 6 top teams hosting the tournament would have outdrawn the entire week of reno, easily,

It's real bad...was hoping the championship would be better.
At least the referees are letting them play! I like that a lot.

AZDoc said:
fanofzoo said:

It's real bad...was hoping the championship would be better.
At least the referees are letting them play! I like that a lot.
Perhaps true for awhile ... but a total of 54 fouls called (admittedly, including the OT) is not pretty. Four players fouled out and five more were within one of going too. Puke. :(

Back