• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

reno

GrizWhiz said:
The Griz-Spuds game today looked like it was being played in a mausoleum. Maybe 200 fans were there. This can't go on. It is an embarrassment. :oops:

Ever see the movie "Ground hog day"

GrizWhiz said:
The Griz-Spuds game today looked like it was being played in a mausoleum. Maybe 200 fans were there. This can't go on. It is an embarrassment. :oops:

It might be time for the realization that is what BSC basketball has become.

grizband said:
GrizLA said:
putter said:
It will be interesting to see what the crowds are like in Billings for the NAIA championship tournament. Could be a good gauge if they were to bid on the Big Sky tournament again. With no one showing up at the games in Reno the league office may look at more than just recreation opportunities and tune into butts in the seats.

Well, the issue is housing for the athletes, the coaches, the families, the fans, and whatever media will be there. Is Billings up to that? I haven't been there for years, so it must have become quite the city. But, the Dakota school leaving sorta puts Billings on the edge of the territory, so to speak. Still, the attendance would be better, I'm sure.
Billings has successfully hosted conferences/events much larger than the Big Sky Conference tournaments. It's not the perfect city, but certainly capable of hosting this basketball tournament. Not a sporting event, but the 2016 Goldwing motorcycle rally involved approximately 10,000 tourists; a similar BMW rally in July 2016 attracted 7,500 riders to Billings.

I too, will be watching the attendance for the NAIA tournament. It is the chance for Billings to show what they can do when hosting a tournament. There are plenty of hotels in Billings so there is not an issue for places for the fans to stay.
Also, Billings is a bigger venue then Reno .

Yeah, Reno attendance sad. Playing for conf champ in a barn that sounds like an echo chamber. I like other posters miss the win conf and you host method. Perhaps another venue/city 'may' be the answer but I have my doubts. Certainly all players deserve better than the status quo. Keep pounding the square peg into the round hole and hope huh!?

GrizWhiz said:

I totally agree. But, have you watched any of the other tournaments? Aside from the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12, attendance isn't much better. I think it's just a general lack of interest in the conference tournaments.

'68griz said:
GrizWhiz said:

I totally agree. But, have you watched any of the other tournaments? Aside from the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12, attendance isn't much better. I think it's just a general lack of interest in the conference tournaments.

Not really true. The problem with the BSC is location. Reno makes no sense, no one in Reno cares about the BSC. Billings would draw and draw well. You have to be THE GAME in the city if you want attendance. Plus it has to be close enough to your teams that draw the best (UM, Weber, MSU) to get fans to attend. Sioux Falls may not be a destination of choice for many but the Summit League tournament draws which makes the league look great on TV, brings in publicity for the conference and assists in recruiting. The USD v SDSU semi-final session drew over 11,000 this year, what would an UM v MSU semi, or final in Billings draw? Capacity?

https://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20170308n357b3

I know this, if the tournament was in Billings, Spokane or even Butte, I would go. Reno, though, is out of the question.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizWhiz said:
I know this, if the tournament was in Billings, Spokane or even Butte, I would go. Reno, though, is out of the question.

Honestly, why do people keep throwing Butte into the discussion?
ok, Helena then...... :thumb:

GrizWhiz said:

Agreed. The logical rationale for the above sites -- including Boise and Salt Lake City -- is affordable proximity to the largest number of Big Sky Fans (which still makes me question Billings). But something that jacksfan29 wrote (above) really resonated with me.

QUOTE: The problem with the BSC is location. Reno makes no sense, no one in Reno cares about the BSC. Billings would draw and draw well. You have to be THE GAME in the city if you want attendance. Plus it has to be close enough to your teams that draw the best (UM, Weber, MSU) to get fans to attend.

Put simply: No one in Reno cares about the Big Sky. Wonder if the Big Sky ever thought about conducting a survey of season ticket holders at each school regarding what might motivate them to attend a post-season tourney?

It should be obvious to all that the fans are way down the list when determining the tournament location. I am not sure how much this will change when they select the next location.

HelenaHandBasket said:
It should be obvious to all that the fans are way down the list when determining the tournament location. I am not sure how much this will change when they select the next location.

Easy on logic Journal and Helena, the bsc has a hard time with that.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizWhiz said:

Honestly, why do people keep throwing Butte into the discussion?

Because butte's fucking awesome and if you don't believe it I'll kick your ass

This tournament is about one thing: Money to the conference.

This tournament's location is also about one thing: Saving athletic departments a few grand by allowing them to book flights early.

Which begs two obvious questions: What is the BSC doing with the extra money other than paying it's leadership more? (Anyone see any other improvements over the past two years -- the spectacular, anxiously awaited app that did nothing more than link to the watchbsc site excluded...)? And why do we have conference members who cannot afford $1800 in airfare?

EverettGriz said:
This tournament is about one thing: Money to the conference.

This tournament's location is also about one thing: Saving athletic departments a few grand by allowing them to book flights early.

Which begs two obvious questions: What is the BSC doing with the extra money other than paying it's leadership more? (Anyone see any other improvements over the past two years -- the spectacular, anxiously awaited app that did nothing more than link to the watchbsc site excluded...)? And why do we have conference members who cannot afford $1800 in airfare?

I think you are overestimating what the Conference makes on the tournament.

Basket, I don't think they make much. But they make far more in ad revenue than they would if the tournament was on-campus, where it belongs.

EverettGriz said:
Basket, I don't think they make much. But they make far more in ad revenue than they would if the tournament was on-campus, where it belongs.

You will never see an on-campus tournament as long as all teams particiapate.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

And therein lies your problem.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

But I don't think it is a problem having all teams participate.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

But I don't think it is a problem having all teams participate.

And therein lies our disagreement! :cool:

Back