• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

reno

EverettGriz said:
kyle_sample said:
fanofzoo said:
Got to get rid of the participation ribbons also, if your not good enough to be in the top 6 then play harder during the season.

There I just solved half of your problem.

I don't understand this theory. I thought the thing everybody liked about March was how unpredictable it was and how it gave everybody a chance. In all reality, 16 seeds don't belong in the NCAA tournament, they're nowhere nearly talented as the teams they'd have to play. But isn't it part of the magic that anything can happen and everybody invited has a chance? I think that's the same with the BSC

Yes, very true, Kyle. But in some way, shape or form, those 16 seeds did something to earn the right to Dance. What did NAU or SUU do to deserve the right to play in the BSC tournament?

And the BSC leadership is so proud of stating that every student-athlete in BB deserves the "championship experience". If this is true, and they care about the student-athlete rather than a money-grab, why do the other sports not offer a tournament to which all teams are invited?

Yes Kyle to some degree you are right but in order to award ribbons to everyone then you need a venue away from the very people of the bsc. Only 6 teams mean there's more choices for venues, closer means bigger attendance. Yada, yada ,yada
Only having 6 teams means getting the bsc stronger as the weak fall behind

ilovethecats said:
EverettGriz said:
Well seriously: who in their right mind (and here I'm allowing a great deal of latitude to the bsc leadership) believed this "experiment" would work? Let's see....let's host in a state where we have zero member schools, in a town with it's own college basketball team, a thousand miles away from most of our schools!! Yeah! Winner!!

spot on!

and what exactly is wrong with rewarding the best team in the conference with home court during the tourney again?

we do very dumb things in this conference sometimes.... :?

Agreed. Return to the old 4 team format. Unfortunately, this league just doesn't offer a draw to neutral site cities. There is no Gonzaga anymore in the BSC.

EverettGriz said:
kyle_sample said:
fanofzoo said:
Got to get rid of the participation ribbons also, if your not good enough to be in the top 6 then play harder during the season.

I don't understand this theory. I thought the thing everybody liked about March was how unpredictable it was and how it gave everybody a chance. In all reality, 16 seeds don't belong in the NCAA tournament, they're nowhere nearly talented as the teams they'd have to play. But isn't it part of the magic that anything can happen and everybody invited has a chance? I think that's the same with the BSC

Yes, very true, Kyle. But in some way, shape or form, those 16 seeds did something to earn the right to Dance. What did NAU or SUU do to deserve the right to play in the BSC tournament?

And the BSC leadership is so proud of stating that every student-athlete in BB deserves the "championship experience". If this is true, and they care about the student-athlete rather than a money-grab, why do the other sports not offer a tournament to which all teams are invited?

Ha Ha, how is playing in front of 20 people getting that championship experience? Kasper said it was more about a neutral site and allowing teams to make plans in advance. Eventually they have to look at attendance to gauge some level of success

EverettGriz said:
kyle_sample said:
fanofzoo said:

Two good points

......rumor alert.....BSC to cease from......participation in the.....FCS football Championship....so they can have.....a Conference playoff tournament....to determine a Champion......running from the weekend.....after Thanksgiving.....to New Years......with the Championship game.....called the Foolerton Bowl......so Everett can be.....happy.....

I asked earlier slightly in jest, but in all seriousness, what is the problem with the conference champ hosting? in a mid-major conference like ours, I like the idea of giving our best teams the opportunity to represent us in front of the rest of the conference.

sure there will always be years where a school like psu hosts but even then the showing is better than what we're seeing this year. it's terrible.

ilovethecats said:
I asked earlier slightly in jest, but in all seriousness, what is the problem with the conference champ hosting? in a mid-major conference like ours, I like the idea of giving our best teams the opportunity to represent us in front of the rest of the conference.

sure there will always be years where a school like psu hosts but even then the showing is better than what we're seeing this year. it's terrible.

You are out of date ilovethecats and so am I. I think it is stupid to not award the regular conference winner the chance to host. All one has to do is look back when that was the case and the attendance was much better as well as the enthusiasm for the tournament. When Portland hosted the tournament a few years ago now it was at the Coliseum and it worked out fine. If one watched Bucknell last night and saw the full house and the enthusiasm I don't know how we could not try this again.

I think the Presidents of the Big Sky schools have to get together and make this happen and also let the schools with substandard facilities know they will not host unless they contract for a decent facility in their area.

IMO participation tournaments are also dumb at this level and downright embarrassing. No coverage,no attendance and no enthusiasm. If a tournament was ever going to make money we need the top 4 teams to qualify and hopefully send our strongest representative to the Big Dance. If the winner could garner a win there, and we would have a better chance, the conference would gain respect and make more money than these "hug-ins" that we are having now.

ilovethecats said:

Nothing, but the BSC seems stuck on:
1. Neutral Court
2. Both mens/womens running concurrently at the same venue
3. Including all teams
4. Predetermined location (logistics to difficult not knowing the host until a couple weeks prior)

Griz1 said:
If a tournament was ever going to make money

I think you are hung up on something that is not a huge deal for the Conference. What this setup does is includes all teams and minimizes the cost for each school.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz1 said:
If a tournament was ever going to make money

I think you are hung up on something that is not a huge deal for the Conference. What this setup does is includes all teams and minimizes the cost for each school.
I like it. The best game of they year, possibly, in the conference, was MSU, a heavy favorite and USU, almost a joke but, they are still alive and MSU is back to supporting their ladies' team. Just out of curiosity, all these posters complaining of poor attendance, why not support the team in person? And, how many sell outs did the top Big Sky schools have at their respective home games? I don't recall that many.

HelenaHandBasket said:
ilovethecats said:

1. Neutral Court
3. Including all teams
4. Predetermined location (logistics to difficult not knowing the host until a couple weeks prior)

I can understand #4. I totally get it. but let's be honest, as long as you know the dates, getting to a specific big sky conference town and having a room there isn't difficult. no fanbase travels so well that they couldn't have enough rooms in Pocatello, cheney, Bozeman, Missoula, etc.

I don't mind #3. if they want all teams to play then so be it. in this conference there is no way any team 8th or lower is going to win the whole thing anyway. let them finish their season in the conference tourney.

#1 and #2 are just stupid. neutral court for a conference such as ours doesn't make any sense. and it makes the regular season all but worthless. from a die-hard cat fan, if the griz own the conference all season...I want the tourney in the adams center. I really don't see why the powers that be can't see how obvious this is.

ilovethecats said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
ilovethecats said:

1. Neutral Court
3. Including all teams

I can understand #4. I totally get it. but let's be honest, as long as you know the dates, getting to a specific big sky conference town and having a room there isn't difficult. no fanbase travels so well that they couldn't have enough rooms in Pocatello, cheney, Bozeman, Missoula, etc.

I don't mind #3. if they want all teams to play then so be it. in this conference there is no way any team 8th or lower is going to win the whole thing anyway. let them finish their season in the conference tourney.

#1 and #2 are just stupid. neutral court for a conference such as ours doesn't make any sense. and it makes the regular season all but worthless. from a die-hard cat fan, if the griz own the conference all season...I want the tourney in the adams center. I really don't see why the powers that be can't see how obvious this is.

I doubt Southern Utah would agree with you, this year.

ilovethecats said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
ilovethecats said:

1. Neutral Court
3. Including all teams

I believe last time Cats won a BSC tourney game was vs. Griz in Adams Center. Bet Cat fans loved that one more far more than if they matched up and beat us in front of 500 in Reno. And who can forget the Griz (AJ goes off!) win at the Purple Palace a few years ago. Those kind of games......larger crowd supporting the home team but underdog visiting team pumped up to send them home disappointed...are classic basketball games.

This Reno thing is an embarrassing joke for the entire BSC!

....off to Red's Bar to watch the Griz on stream in a few. Red's and Paradise Falls will probably outdraw Reno!

GrizLA said:
I like it. The best game of they year, possibly, in the conference, was MSU, a heavy favorite and USU, almost a joke but, they are still alive and MSU is back to supporting their ladies' team. Just out of curiosity, all these posters complaining of poor attendance, why not support the team in person? And, how many sell outs did the top Big Sky schools have at their respective home games? I don't recall that many.

I thought you had a better grasp on realty LA but let me try to explain ---

The reason for posters complaining of poor attendance is because is has poor attendance.

Your comment about supporting the team in person is simple - not all of us have the resources or the time off to attend. Some of us are not able to afford this financially and also have jobs that we have to work and our vacations spent with our families are more important to us.

As far as sellouts I don't know how many there were but I can guarantee you not one tournament men or womens held at the home of the conference champion was so poorly attended and that is a fact Jack!

Mousegriz said:
ilovethecats said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
ilovethecats said:

1. Neutral Court
3. Including all teams

I believe last time Cats won a BSC tourney game was vs. Griz in Adams Center. Bet Cat fans loved that one more far more than if they matched up and beat us in front of 500 in Reno. And who can forget the Griz (AJ goes off!) win at the Purple Palace a few years ago. Those kind of games......larger crowd supporting the home team but underdog visiting team pumped up to send them home disappointed...are classic basketball games.

This Reno thing is an embarrassing joke for the entire BSC!

....off to Red's Bar to watch the Griz on stream in a few. Red's and Paradise Falls will probably outdraw Reno!

Classic indeed. GRIZ vs weebs Cherry shuts down Lillard WOW more people at that game than all of reno.

Griz1 said:
GrizLA said:

I thought you had a better grasp on realty LA but let me try to explain ---

The reason for posters complaining of poor attendance is because is has poor attendance.

Your comment about supporting the team in person is simple - not all of us have the resources or the time off to attend. Some of us are not able to afford this financially and also have jobs that we have to work and our vacations spent with our families are more important to us.

As far as sellouts I don't know how many there were but I can guarantee you not one tournament men or womens held at the home of the conference champion was so poorly attended and that is a fact Jack!

I understand all of that. I did not go this year because I have 175 acres badly damaged from the hurricane last month. I will plan on being in Reno next year,however. But, it is amazing how many schools do have large turnouts at neutral floors. Let the Big Sky begin winning over some major teams and all will change. Coach TD tried this year to elevate the competition and had UM just won two or three of them, which they could have, and won over Wyoming, twice, and Weber and Eastern done the same there would be more reason to invest time in this. Don't forget, the PAC 12 are in LV and the place is not sold out, Big West is in Anaheim, playing to local fans, the SWAC did not fill a gym this year yet their tourney goes on. The many tournies where I am are medium sized crowds. Ironically, it is the South Carolina women who won their tourney to a sold out crowd...I get your point But lots of fans do plan a year ahead. Still, if I were asked, I'd limit it to the top 6, with the two top getting a bye and keep the mens and women's tourney together.

The Griz-Spuds game today looked like it was being played in a mausoleum. Maybe 200 fans were there. This can't go on. It is an embarrassment. :oops:

Back