• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Here's a good reason Tom Crady is being moved along

Ursa Major said:
I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:
Montana University System responds to Missoulian article: “We want our perspective to be shared”
BY OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF HIGHER EDUCATIONAPRIL 17, 2018

Members of the UM community,

The University of Montana and the Montana University System stand firmly in support of Dr. Chelsea Bodnar, spouse of University of Montana President Seth Bodnar, for her efforts to assist the university in enhancing its recruiting efforts.

“We were delighted to know Chelsea would be a strong advocate for the University of Montana alongside of Seth when we hired him as President of the University,” Board of Regents Chair Fran Albrecht said. “The University has always had active spouses who contribute in a multitude of ways. Chelsea’s excitement and enthusiasm for increasing enrollment is to be celebrated and commended. She is contributing her time and resources to helping the University of Montana and I am grateful for her commitment and support.”

While we value the press and the pillar it holds in our society, we simply want our perspective to be shared. The unequivocal truth is that universities across the country are safely and securely using broad data trends (not specific student information) to help attract and recruit students.

Chelsea never received student data, nor has any unauthorized person or entity used student data. Lucy France, Legal Counsel at UM, confirms that UM has not shared any data with The Messina Group to date.

“Of course, before we shared anything we would ensure that every protection was in place regarding privacy and compliance with all applicable state and federal laws,” France said. “Chelsea followed the right steps in connecting the appropriate people at the university to explore TMG’s generous offer of assistance.”

The Messina Group is a communications and marketing consultant to Airbnb, ESPN, Google, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and many more clients. Thanks to Chelsea’s friendship with Jim Messina (UM Class of ’93; UM Distinguished Alum Award ’09; UM Commencement Speaker ’13), UM is in a unique position to receive top consulting services at little to no cost. This service will allow the university to recruit more competitively, save money, and reach more potential students. All are needed for UM to thrive.

“The Montana University System is fully-aware of how campuses are using broad generic data to help provide better services and experiences,” Commissioner of Higher Education Clayton Christian said. “Our System goes to great lengths to protect all student data according to state and federal law. We will continue to look for innovative ways to increase enrollment, support students, faculty, alumni and our extended UM family, and most importantly continue to tell our story.”

That was a great move and a surprisingly quick rebuttal.

Very nice. She was given a pain position and using it with personal connection to do nothing but help the University.
There is no way this was a disgruntled employee spewing crap on the way out...NO WAY! :roll:

Loved the rebuttal. Was that in the Missoulian? Man they need to feel pretty foolish now. Argh sorry pal but you should as well. Shame on Chelsea, an over qualified and passionate volunteer trying turn our university around :)

HookedonGriz said:
Loved the rebuttal. Was that in the Missoulian? Man they need to feel pretty foolish now. Argh sorry pal but you should as well. Shame on Chelsea, an over qualified and passionate volunteer trying turn our university around :)

Our two posters, who are researcher/profs, both felt that a Rhodes Scholar and medical doctor from Harvard Med School (but no PhD) was not qualified to ask when information was available and what did it take to get it to new consultant that was coming on board. And to follow up and not let the ball drop. Those posters called it nepotism. She was looking for a feather in her cap, and improving her resume. I sure hope there aren't many professor/researchers at UM who think like this.

What a complete put-down to Crady and the Missoulian that recent statement was.

Well done BOR, Chelsa, and yes PR. And to those posters and their feeble attempt to "defend" Crady because no one knows how Universities work LOL. The simple fact is, most do. Out of touch faculty who feel their academic credentials put them above accountability haven't figured out that what they have been doing DOESN'T work. There is a reason there is a new sheriff in town.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Our two posters, who are researcher/profs, both felt that a Rhodes Scholar and medical doctor from Harvard Med School (but no PhD) was not qualified to ask when information was available and what did it take to get it to new consultant that was coming on board. And to follow up and not let the ball drop. Those posters called it nepotism. She was looking for a feather in her cap, and improving her resume. I sure hope there aren't many professor/researchers at UM who think like this.

you are making up stuff again, greenie. show me where i said what you insinuate. you can't, because the issue i have been talking about is nepotism, not your diversion into whether she is 'smart' or not.

you are getting dumber by the minute.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

you are making up stuff again, greenie. show me where i said what you insinuate. you can't, because the issue i have been talking about is nepotism, not your diversion into whether she is 'smart' or not.

You really are an egotistical ass. My apologies to Kremlic for I intended to respond solely to you. It is apparent when you leave a room and associate with another group, the room you just left experienced a marked increase in not just social dialogue but an increase in average IQ. Conversely, the room you enter experiences a significantly different dialogue as those present simply attempt to placate your feeble mind.

And for whatever reason, you appear to enjoy your own reasonings. We had a jody while I was on active duty a few years ago that went "And the village idiot was amusing himself by abusing himself and catching it in his hat(bqm)"

You ought not ever attempt enter into meaningful dialogue with intelligentsia--remain in the realm of academia, okay?

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:
Montana University System responds to Missoulian article: “We want our perspective to be shared”
BY OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF HIGHER EDUCATIONAPRIL 17, 2018

Members of the UM community,

The University of Montana and the Montana University System stand firmly in support of Dr. Chelsea Bodnar, spouse of University of Montana President Seth Bodnar, for her efforts to assist the university in enhancing its recruiting efforts.

“We were delighted to know Chelsea would be a strong advocate for the University of Montana alongside of Seth when we hired him as President of the University,” Board of Regents Chair Fran Albrecht said. “The University has always had active spouses who contribute in a multitude of ways. Chelsea’s excitement and enthusiasm for increasing enrollment is to be celebrated and commended. She is contributing her time and resources to helping the University of Montana and I am grateful for her commitment and support.”

While we value the press and the pillar it holds in our society, we simply want our perspective to be shared. The unequivocal truth is that universities across the country are safely and securely using broad data trends (not specific student information) to help attract and recruit students.

Chelsea never received student data, nor has any unauthorized person or entity used student data. Lucy France, Legal Counsel at UM, confirms that UM has not shared any data with The Messina Group to date.

“Of course, before we shared anything we would ensure that every protection was in place regarding privacy and compliance with all applicable state and federal laws,” France said. “Chelsea followed the right steps in connecting the appropriate people at the university to explore TMG’s generous offer of assistance.”

The Messina Group is a communications and marketing consultant to Airbnb, ESPN, Google, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and many more clients. Thanks to Chelsea’s friendship with Jim Messina (UM Class of ’93; UM Distinguished Alum Award ’09; UM Commencement Speaker ’13), UM is in a unique position to receive top consulting services at little to no cost. This service will allow the university to recruit more competitively, save money, and reach more potential students. All are needed for UM to thrive.

“The Montana University System is fully-aware of how campuses are using broad generic data to help provide better services and experiences,” Commissioner of Higher Education Clayton Christian said. “Our System goes to great lengths to protect all student data according to state and federal law. We will continue to look for innovative ways to increase enrollment, support students, faculty, alumni and our extended UM family, and most importantly continue to tell our story.”

No surprise tome. Regents happy to have someone else do the heavy lifting. And if it fails somebody to throw under the bus if it fails. The regents are appointed with little academic or educational prowess. They should be leading but most likely owned by one pol or another

I do want UM to succeed. Maybe this Hail Mary May work

"While we value the press and the pillar it holds in our society, we simply want our perspective to be shared."

Translation: Fuck The Missoulian

signedbewildered said:
"While we value the press and the pillar it holds in our society, we simply want our perspective to be shared."

Translation: f*** The Missoulian

Good one. I agree.

UM needs to have a sit down with current Missoulian leadership. I would use the advertising budget as a chip. UM has apparently don’t rhat in the past. Some of those Missoulian articles are inappropriate.

The rebuttal was good but I didn’t need any clarification.

That was a classic hit piece by some loser at the Missoulian. (yawn)

Either the people at the Missoulian are really stupid (likely) or they think you are really stupid....

Its time for UM to get dirty and go on the offensive. Otherwise, this BS and a lot of other nonsense like Ms. Daveys hurt feelings on social media will continually plague this University.

If its not Davey, it’s the new President’s wife stealing students personal info. UM is in a PR war with the Missoulian. It’s that simple.

The vultures are circling... Sink or swim.

UM will see an outpouring of support from alums the second they stand up and fight this shit.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

You really are an egotistical ass. My apologies to Kremlic for I intended to respond solely to you. It is apparent when you leave a room and associate with another group, the room you just left experienced a marked increase in not just social dialogue but an increase in average IQ. Conversely, the room you enter experiences a significantly different dialogue as those present simply attempt to placate your feeble mind.

And for whatever reason, you appear to enjoy your own reasonings. We had a jody while I was on active duty a few years ago that went "And the village idiot was amusing himself by abusing himself and catching it in his hat(bqm)"

You ought not ever attempt enter into meaningful dialogue with intelligentsia--remain in the realm of academia, okay?

i take it you think you are smart... ha.

ha, this is too funny. so the guy who hired bodnar and the lawyer who answers to him comes to his and his wife's defense. oh boy that convinced me that it is a good idea for the president's wife, who has no specific training and answers to no one ought to be "in charge" of university business she doesn't have any particular qualifications for doing.

no wonder um is doing so badly, it is being overseen by people with a mom-and-pop shop mindset.

Argh, You do realize that the specific reason she got involved (or was asked to be involved) was because she went to school with Messina and was an aquaintance right? Oh wait, nevermind. That ruins a good non story.

argh! said:
ha, this is too funny. so the guy who hired bodnar and the lawyer who answers to him comes to his and his wife's defense. oh boy that convinced me that it is a good idea for the president's wife, who has no specific training and answers to no one ought to be "in charge" of university business she doesn't have any particular qualifications for doing.

no wonder um is doing so badly, it is being overseen by people with a mom-and-pop shop mindset.

So according to you, a doctorate level scientist doesn't have the qualifications to coordinate data collection and transfer. It's certainly no wonder why the level of research and publishing coming from the UM is nearly in the toilet save a few projects which interestingly are medical in nature. I hesitate to point out the model keep referring to is all but dead replaced by places like grand canyon University which are doing the things bodnar is bringing to the table. BTW in humanities a!one GCU publishing pales U of M.......

tnt said:
argh! said:

So according to you, a doctorate level scientist doesn't have the qualifications to coordinate data collection and transfer. It's certainly no wonder why the level of research and publishing coming from the UM is nearly in the toilet save a few projects which interestingly are medical in nature. I hesitate to point out the model keep referring to is all but dead replaced by places like grand canyon University which are doing the things bodnar is bringing to the table. BTW in humanities a!one GCU publishing pales U of M.......

i've got a phd in the sciences, have funded labs and paid my own salary with grants for years, in addition to teaching the same number of classes as many without any grants, been in education, including admissions committees, a long time, and am capable of very complicated statistical analysis, etc... i'm not an expert on student admissions, though, and while i presume i could learn, it don't think it would be appropriate for me to just jump in and do what mrs bodnar seemingly did, especially if i was the spouse of a university president. that would come off as incredibly arrogant to many university faculty and employees, as it obviously did in this instance, 'sour grapes' or not.

also, for the millionth time, i very much believe universities like um need to completely re-think the way they operate, well beyond what bodnar appears to be proposing (a lot of what he has said seems very 2000). additionally, i hold the 'old way' of doing things at universities in disdain, as it is rife with needless bureaucracy, keeps people who aren't working hard employed for as long as they want (tenure), and offers a bastion for cronyism and nepotism.

wish people would quit reading things into what i write.

Talking about hanging an albatross around one's neck with the "nepotism" red herring. Academics would be forming committees to discuss the deck chair arrangement on the Titanic. No, worse, they'd be going blind filling out grant applications to study the arrangement of foldable furniture on foundering sea-going vessels. The reaction here of a couple of self-described academics to a simple pragmatic action says all you need to know about the difference between academia and industry. I would be one of the first to call nepotism despicable since I am experiencing it where I work at the moment but this situation ain't it. If anyone could clearly and rationally articulate the personal gain engendered in nepotism in this situation then I'd change my mind about Bodnar's action. Instead I can visualize a couple of lonely souls in a dinghy out hunting for the great white nepotism whale. Instead they might refer to the well known study that suggests albatross can be made palatable with a whole lot of ketchup.

tnt said:
It's certainly no wonder why the level of research and publishing coming from the UM is nearly in the toilet save a few projects which interestingly are medical in nature.

can you provide some evidence for this statement(bqm)

Back