• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Here's a good reason Tom Crady is being moved along

bgbigdog said:
signedbewildered said:
By now, Bodnar may very well be shaking his head in bewilderment over what kind of drama town he took a pay cut to plant his family in.

I think he's up for the challenge but some of the resistance and obstacles he is encountering are simply embarrassing to anyone who truly loves this institution and wants it to succeed.

#dramaqueens

GE’s getting pounded. He’s dam glad to be here.

Stock price up 3.5% today.

I have no problem with the Elander involvement. On the other hand, I dont know exactly what she is doing. Do any of you? I mean specifically what she is doing. What information are her eyes seeing? What is she specifically doing with that info? Is she making decisions and recommendations or just passing the information to proper people/destinations. I guess until proven otherwise I trust Bodnar and the school admin to do the right thing and not violate any laws. If we cant trust them then WTF are we doing? Fire them all, burn the school down and give up. FFS it is going to take some grit, determination and trust to get this university back where it belongs. We should take all the help we can get.

grizpsych said:
PlayerRep said:
grizpsych said:
PlayerRep said:
Jeez, how dumb and petty is this guy?

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-president-s-wife-seeks-extremely-confidential-info/article_e5c72ed2-1fc7-51ef-973d-db4ddaa28ec5.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Looks like nepotism is starting earlier than I expected.

Nepotism? Huh, you must not know what it is. Nepotism required favoritism. What is his wife getting for doing this, other than unfair criticism and press and headaches? Bodnar asking his wife to help coordinate something is hardly nepotism.

What is astounding to me is to see how dumb, in some respects, college professors like yourself and argh are. No wonder so much of the Missoula community, and the even the board of regents, were excited to hire a competent non-academic to lead Montana.

With people like Engstrom, Crady, you and argh, no wonder so many academic institutions are struggling.

You are way over the line here. Bodnar is the president of the university. He could task any person that works at the university with this task. What does his wife get out of it, at the very least, a pretty awesome note on her CV.

Now regarding the whole enterprise, it's a noble venture. Nowhere in the article you posted did I see anyone against it. what I did read was people concerned that all laws are being followed. I think you would respect that given that you're a lawyer.

Bodnar did ask someone to do it and it didn’t get done.

No way the wife ever mentions this on her bio. This is tiny. She is a Rhodes scholar, went to Harvard Med, and is a physician. She doesn’t need this little thing on her bio. Jeez, what planet are you from?

As for laws, that’s what the UM lawyers and. Impliance people are for. You don’t need to be a Legal expert to ask what data is available and to facilitate getting it to a new consultant.

Do you think Bodnar is a FERPA expect? I don’t. Would you object to him doing what his wife is done? I sure hope not.

No wonder so little useful stuff gets done by some in academia. Thank god UM brought in a president who knows how to take action and get stuff done.

PlayerRep said:
... Bodnar did ask someone to do it and it didn’t get done.

No way the wife ever mentions this on her bio. This is tiny. She is a Rhodes scholar, went to Harvard Med, and is a physician. She doesn’t need this little thing on her bio. Jeez, what planet are you from?

As for laws, that’s what the UM lawyers and compliance people are for. You don’t need to be a Legal expert to ask what data is available and to facilitate getting it to a new consultant.

Do you think Bodnar is a FERPA expect? I don’t. Would you object to him doing what his wife is done? I sure hope not.

No wonder so little useful stuff gets done by some in academia. Thank god UM brought in a president who knows how to take action and get stuff done.
Good points ... right down the line. No further comment needed. :thumb:

However, I did have another thought: Normally, out in the "real world," Crady would be cutting his own throat by promulgating what appear to be unfounded "accusations" against his former employer. But since he is throwing stones at an academic "outsider" -- Bodner and wife with no real "status" except as outstanding students -- he will likely be acclaimed as as a "courageous whistle-blower." I suspect his future is assured.

cmtgrizzly said:
I have no problem with the Elander involvement. On the other hand, I dont know exactly what she is doing. Do any of you? I mean specifically what she is doing. What information are her eyes seeing? What is she specifically doing with that info? Is she making decisions and recommendations or just passing the information to proper people/destinations. I guess until proven otherwise I trust Bodnar and the school admin to do the right thing and not violate any laws. If we cant trust them then WTF are we doing? Fire them all, burn the school down and give up. FFS it is going to take some grit, determination and trust to get this university back where it belongs. We should take all the help we can get.

I would guess, from what I've read, that she isn't seeing any of the information. It looks like she has been trying to determine what is available, and what it takes to get the info to the new consultant.

grzz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
why didn't bodnar just appoint a university employee to be the liason? that would be the smart thing to do. instead, it sounds to me like his wife deemed herself fit for the job and just inserted herself in the mix.

as a comparison, how do you feel about jared and ivanka's positions in the government? were they qualified?

Is this a typical academic and bureaucratic response? Let's form a committee to study whether and how to request information to be readied for a new consultant that the university is looking to engage (at no cost). Let's consult all unions working on campus too. Let's set up a long timetable and complicated procedure to ensure that nothing gets done on a timely basis.

Agreed. My other retort to "why didn't Bodnar just appoint someone at the U" is - well - the people who were already supposed to be doing that didn't do a damned thing.

Argh, I worked on a college campus and I am very familiar with student record and privacy laws. I also respect that faculty often get a bad rep on message boards. That all being said, if Crady or admissions had really wanted to cooperate with something the University President already agreed to do, wouldn't the proper response from Crady to her request have been something like: "Great, let's work with legal counsel to make sure that we don't violate any student privacy laws and appoint the Messina Group a liaison so we only pass confidential information through a UM employee?"

It just seems like over and over again the academic response at UM is to bristle at any outsider or outside idea and protect the status quo. It seems more often than not that it is an easy way to ignore otherwise good ideas from those outside the academic world because they "just don't understand." She literally said "Whatever is permissible" in her request...there is no nefarious intent here. Rather than working with her to find a solution that fits within the constraints of the University, the response is to run to tattle to the Missoulian. Mind you NO INFORMATION HAS BEEN SHARED AND BOTH UM AND THE MESSINA GROUP SAY AS MUCH. But lets get a scandalous headline going. (The Missoulian is a whole different issue, my god).

Is it weird that his wife is undertaking initiatives to help the University? Maybe, but then again not really. You use the Nepotism statement, but many higher ed institutions, including UM, have spousal accommodation where they will find the spouse a job on campus if they are hiring the other one. I can think of three or four couples where this occurred at UM, and a different department hired the spouse of a candidate without much of a real search. Hell, Engstrom's wife was one I am fairly certain. So don't act like it is entirely uncommon for a spouse to get a job. Should Bodnar identify what she does in her volunteer capacity and put the proper protocol in place so employees know what is ok to share with her? Sure, but that is an easy correction, and ALSO A SUGGESTION CRADY COULD HAVE BROUGHT TO BODNAR.

Very good post.

Mousegriz said:
bgbigdog said:
signedbewildered said:
By now, Bodnar may very well be shaking his head in bewilderment over what kind of drama town he took a pay cut to plant his family in.

I think he's up for the challenge but some of the resistance and obstacles he is encountering are simply embarrassing to anyone who truly loves this institution and wants it to succeed.

#dramaqueens

Off a day that began below $13.00, about 55% off the 52 week high. If you’re going long, ok. But your money would be better invested elsewhere. This is a company that’s going to struggle for a while.

Sam A. Blitz said:
grzz said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
why didn't bodnar just appoint a university employee to be the liason? that would be the smart thing to do. instead, it sounds to me like his wife deemed herself fit for the job and just inserted herself in the mix.

as a comparison, how do you feel about jared and ivanka's positions in the government? were they qualified?

Is this a typical academic and bureaucratic response? Let's form a committee to study whether and how to request information to be readied for a new consultant that the university is looking to engage (at no cost). Let's consult all unions working on campus too. Let's set up a long timetable and complicated procedure to ensure that nothing gets done on a timely basis.

Agreed. My other retort to "why didn't Bodnar just appoint someone at the U" is - well - the people who were already supposed to be doing that didn't do a damned thing.

Argh, I worked on a college campus and I am very familiar with student record and privacy laws. I also respect that faculty often get a bad rep on message boards. That all being said, if Crady or admissions had really wanted to cooperate with something the University President already agreed to do, wouldn't the proper response from Crady to her request have been something like: "Great, let's work with legal counsel to make sure that we don't violate any student privacy laws and appoint the Messina Group a liaison so we only pass confidential information through a UM employee?"

It just seems like over and over again the academic response at UM is to bristle at any outsider or outside idea and protect the status quo. It seems more often than not that it is an easy way to ignore otherwise good ideas from those outside the academic world because they "just don't understand." She literally said "Whatever is permissible" in her request...there is no nefarious intent here. Rather than working with her to find a solution that fits within the constraints of the University, the response is to run to tattle to the Missoulian. Mind you NO INFORMATION HAS BEEN SHARED AND BOTH UM AND THE MESSINA GROUP SAY AS MUCH. But lets get a scandalous headline going. (The Missoulian is a whole different issue, my god).

Is it weird that his wife is undertaking initiatives to help the University? Maybe, but then again not really. You use the Nepotism statement, but many higher ed institutions, including UM, have spousal accommodation where they will find the spouse a job on campus if they are hiring the other one. I can think of three or four couples where this occurred at UM, and a different department hired the spouse of a candidate without much of a real search. Hell, Engstrom's wife was one I am fairly certain. So don't act like it is entirely uncommon for a spouse to get a job. Should Bodnar identify what she does in her volunteer capacity and put the proper protocol in place so employees know what is ok to share with her? Sure, but that is an easy correction, and ALSO A SUGGESTION CRADY COULD HAVE BROUGHT TO BODNAR.

Very good post.
Mousegriz said:
bgbigdog said:
signedbewildered said:

#dramaqueens

Don't really know what this thread has to do with griz football and I don't have an opinion on the self perpetuating soap opera that seems to rerun every day at the U these days, but I can't resist the Commenting on GE. Bought GE after the 09 crash. Thought it would be a buy and hold, and it was for a while. After buying light on the way down I bought heavy near the bottom at about 9 bucks a share. It went up to 35ish and was rolling pretty good until 2012-2013ish. Management got tricky, cash crunch followed, and went in the toilet. Can't blame bodnar for that. He wasn't upper management. GE has about a thousand or so too many midlevel senior executives--Ps, VPs, Ps, VIPs, etc, etc, They brought in new CEO flanery last year to wield the hatchet. Hasn't helped yet cause they are still way too too heavy and over leveraged. Hind sight is 20:20. I'm still in it after wishful thinking made me belief all the "innovative" diversification, integration, and so on double talk that turned out to lbe fancy marketing. Sorry. I digress. I'm really down on GE right now. The mention of GE touched a nerve.

Bodner has bigger problems to worry about than a disgruntled VP.

ec5473685d2255eb988ec324054e2343.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
HookedonGriz said:
Our past regime had offers of free help and assistance by the Messina Group to dial in recruiting and improve that area....the idiots turned it down and continued to let the ship sink.

Bodnar takes a massive step in the right direction and takes the Messina Group up in its offer of help....very smart IMO.

Bodnar's wife becomes the middle party connecting the two when university folks sit on their hands and provide no assistance to the Messina Group. This Group needs relevant data to do their thing and do it well and Bodnar's wife was only trying to speed that process up and move it along. I appreciate her passion and appreciate the fact this president and leaders are sick of watching the UM flounder.

The president's office and much of the university is currently grossly understaffed. I see nothing wrong with the president of UM asking/authorizing his wife, someone whom he obviously knows very well, trusts, and talks to everyday, to identify and request information to be teed up to provide to the new consultant, once the contract is in place and the university counsel and others follow procedures and approve. Isn't that what the article said? The information hasn't even been provided yet, is what I read from the article.

Does anyone really think that his wife didn't have the authority from her husband to help get this process going? She doesn't have to be a UM employee to fulfill this role. Don't UM alums and volunteers do things for the university all the time, without being official employees? Also, she's smart and talented. A Rhodes Scholar. Harvard Med School.

UM, Missoula and Montana should be excited that someone like that is willing to pitch in to help, and without pay.

Whiners and complainers and the Missoulian continue to try to create controversy.

And this whiner, who didn't get the job done when he was here, leaks stuff to the Missoulian. The guy obviously has his nose bent out of shape, and can't even assist while still being paid and on his way out. Mr. Sour Grapes. Good riddance to him.
His name could be Comey. Argh the great defender of the swamp. None of us outsiders know anything about how a University runs. We just know it's time to run it differently.

PlayerRep said:
He has a swamp to fight. And fake news by a biased media.

argh! said:
also, people here bitch about faculty all the time, but they are the ones delivering the product for the university, and if bodnar alienates them, um ain't getting better any time soon.
That is very true. How well is that product selling? Not so well because the demand is decreasing. So if he alienates them they will respond in a way to further hurt the university is what you are saying. Maybe it's OK to bitch about that kind of faculty stance.

kemajic said:
argh! said:
also, people here bitch about faculty all the time, but they are the ones delivering the product for the university, and if bodnar alienates them, um ain't getting better any time soon.
That is very true. How well is that product selling? Not so well because the demand is decreasing. So if he alienates them they will respond in a way to further hurt the university is what you are saying. Maybe it's OK to bitch about that kind of faculty stance.

Bullshit. Pure unadulterated bullshit. As much as you academics try to paint it otherwise, you are the dumb fucks the kids are not coming here anymore. They could give a rats ass about your Ivy League pedigree, they want an education that's relevant today. Your review of literature is dated. You can't keep up and they have more relevant research available in 30 seconds on google than you old dinosaurs can provide in an entire year's worth of coursework, plus, have any of you used independent study for the kids who do come here? Novel approach to let a kid graduate a year (or two) ahead of schedule. Your department won't accept half the credits a kid took elsewhere and therefore, the kids that transfer in have to sit and listen to your sorry ass present bullshit that over twenty, thirty years old. And what about substituting a class for what is in the program of study? Just a bunch of...and we have to listen to your phone calls as you whine and snivel because your program is going to can one or two of you...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:

Bullshit. Pure unadulterated bullshit. As much as you academics try to paint it otherwise, you are the dumb f***[*] the kids are not coming here anymore. They could give a rats ass about your Ivy League pedigree, they want an education that's relevant today. Your review of literature is dated. You can't keep up and they have more relevant research available in 30 seconds on google than you old dinosaurs can provide in an entire year's worth of coursework, plus, have any of you used independent study for the kids who do come here? Novel approach to let a kid graduate a year (or two) ahead of schedule. Your department won't accept half the credits a kid took elsewhere and therefore, the kids that transfer in have to sit and listen to your sorry ass present bullshit that over twenty, thirty years old. And what about substituting a class for what is in the program of study? Just a bunch of...and we have to listen to your phone calls as you whine and snivel because your program is going to can one or two of you...
Why are you responding to my post? Argh is the academic energetically defending his brethern faculty. Like you, I am on the challenge the status quo side. Give him your wrath, not me.

kemajic said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
kemajic said:
argh! said:

Bullshit. Pure unadulterated bullshit. As much as you academics try to paint it otherwise, you are the dumb f***[*] the kids are not coming here anymore. They could give a rats ass about your Ivy League pedigree, they want an education that's relevant today. Your review of literature is dated. You can't keep up and they have more relevant research available in 30 seconds on google than you old dinosaurs can provide in an entire year's worth of coursework, plus, have any of you used independent study for the kids who do come here? Novel approach to let a kid graduate a year (or two) ahead of schedule. Your department won't accept half the credits a kid took elsewhere and therefore, the kids that transfer in have to sit and listen to your sorry ass present bullshit that over twenty, thirty years old. And what about substituting a class for what is in the program of study? Just a bunch of...and we have to listen to your phone calls as you whine and snivel because your program is going to can one or two of you...
Why are you responding to my post? Argh is the academic energetically defending his brethern faculty. Like you, I am on the challenge the status quo side. Give him your wrath, not me.

neither of you can read without putting your own fantasies into what i wrote. i am not defending the faculty. i am telling you what i'm pretty sure their perspective is regarding this sort of thing, because i've been through it a couple times and listened to all the b.s.. i won't be surprised if this cat thing flunks out, because he thinks he knows it all, and logic escapes him due to his childish excitability.

Montana University System responds to Missoulian article: “We want our perspective to be shared”
BY OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF HIGHER EDUCATIONAPRIL 17, 2018

Members of the UM community,

The University of Montana and the Montana University System stand firmly in support of Dr. Chelsea Bodnar, spouse of University of Montana President Seth Bodnar, for her efforts to assist the university in enhancing its recruiting efforts.

“We were delighted to know Chelsea would be a strong advocate for the University of Montana alongside of Seth when we hired him as President of the University,” Board of Regents Chair Fran Albrecht said. “The University has always had active spouses who contribute in a multitude of ways. Chelsea’s excitement and enthusiasm for increasing enrollment is to be celebrated and commended. She is contributing her time and resources to helping the University of Montana and I am grateful for her commitment and support.”

While we value the press and the pillar it holds in our society, we simply want our perspective to be shared. The unequivocal truth is that universities across the country are safely and securely using broad data trends (not specific student information) to help attract and recruit students.

Chelsea never received student data, nor has any unauthorized person or entity used student data. Lucy France, Legal Counsel at UM, confirms that UM has not shared any data with The Messina Group to date.

“Of course, before we shared anything we would ensure that every protection was in place regarding privacy and compliance with all applicable state and federal laws,” France said. “Chelsea followed the right steps in connecting the appropriate people at the university to explore TMG’s generous offer of assistance.”

The Messina Group is a communications and marketing consultant to Airbnb, ESPN, Google, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and many more clients. Thanks to Chelsea’s friendship with Jim Messina (UM Class of ’93; UM Distinguished Alum Award ’09; UM Commencement Speaker ’13), UM is in a unique position to receive top consulting services at little to no cost. This service will allow the university to recruit more competitively, save money, and reach more potential students. All are needed for UM to thrive.

“The Montana University System is fully-aware of how campuses are using broad generic data to help provide better services and experiences,” Commissioner of Higher Education Clayton Christian said. “Our System goes to great lengths to protect all student data according to state and federal law. We will continue to look for innovative ways to increase enrollment, support students, faculty, alumni and our extended UM family, and most importantly continue to tell our story.”

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:
Montana University System responds to Missoulian article: “We want our perspective to be shared”

The University of Montana and the Montana University System stand firmly in support of Dr. Chelsea Bodnar, spouse of University of Montana President Seth Bodnar, for her efforts to assist the university in enhancing its recruiting efforts.

“We were delighted to know Chelsea would be a strong advocate for the University of Montana alongside of Seth when we hired him as President of the University,” Board of Regents Chair Fran Albrecht said. “The University has always had active spouses who contribute in a multitude of ways. Chelsea’s excitement and enthusiasm for increasing enrollment is to be celebrated and commended. She is contributing her time and resources to helping the University of Montana and I am grateful for her commitment and support.”

While we value the press and the pillar it holds in our society, we simply want our perspective to be shared. The unequivocal truth is that universities across the country are safely and securely using broad data trends (not specific student information) to help attract and recruit students.

Chelsea never received student data, nor has any unauthorized person or entity used student data. Lucy France, Legal Counsel at UM, confirms that UM has not shared any data with The Messina Group to date.

“Of course, before we shared anything we would ensure that every protection was in place regarding privacy and compliance with all applicable state and federal laws,” France said. “Chelsea followed the right steps in connecting the appropriate people at the university to explore TMG’s generous offer of assistance.”

The Messina Group is a communications and marketing consultant to Airbnb, ESPN, Google, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and many more clients. Thanks to Chelsea’s friendship with Jim Messina (UM Class of ’93; UM Distinguished Alum Award ’09; UM Commencement Speaker ’13), UM is in a unique position to receive top consulting services at little to no cost. This service will allow the university to recruit more competitively, save money, and reach more potential students. All are needed for UM to thrive.

“The Montana University System is fully-aware of how campuses are using broad generic data to help provide better services and experiences,” Commissioner of Higher Education Clayton Christian said. “Our System goes to great lengths to protect all student data according to state and federal law. We will continue to look for innovative ways to increase enrollment, support students, faculty, alumni and our extended UM family, and most importantly continue to tell our story.”

I was about to post this. Should be the end of the discussion. Nothing to see here. Just another over-reaching, dramatic fabrication by the Missoulian.

I.M.O.#90-C.C. said:

That was a great move and a surprisingly quick rebuttal.

Latest posts

Back