• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Here's a good reason Tom Crady is being moved along

argh! said:
yeah, i've seen lots of positions created for spouses - and not for spouses of nobel prize winners, just average professors. i don't think that happens much in the 'real world', and wish it didn't in academia, especially given that tax payer dollars are involved.

It happens in the real world too. I've seen it in my line of work and my wife has seen it in her line of work - in our experience - it hasn't effected us. Not to say that it couldn't - but I guess I just don't see how the "Nepotism" really applies in this instance - since:
  • President Bodnar's wife essentially volunteered because the people who were supposed to do their job didn't and she has contacts with the folks who were waiting for info. in the first place.
  • She didn't get hired instead of someone else just because of her familial ties to the current President
  • She's a Doctor and will be continuing her practice - why would she need to be paid by UM?
  • Why is this a big deal since it was addressed that moving forward if needed UM will hire someone not her to do the job?

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
argh! said:
yeah, i've seen lots of positions created for spouses - and not for spouses of nobel prize winners, just average professors. i don't think that happens much in the 'real world', and wish it didn't in academia, especially given that tax payer dollars are involved.

It happens in the real world too. I've seen it in my line of work and my wife has seen it in her line of work - in our experience - it hasn't effected us. Not to say that it couldn't - but I guess I just don't see how the "Nepotism" really applies in this instance - since:
  • President Bodnar's wife essentially volunteered because the people who were supposed to do their job didn't and she has contacts with the folks who were waiting for info. in the first place.
  • She didn't get hired instead of someone else just because of her familial ties to the current President
  • She's a Doctor and will be continuing her practice - why would she need to be paid by UM?
  • Why is this a big deal since it was addressed that moving forward if needed UM will hire someone not her to do the job?

It’s got to be the collusion angle. What else could it be?

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
HookedonGriz said:
Our past regime had offers of free help and assistance by the Messina Group to dial in recruiting and improve that area....the idiots turned it down and continued to let the ship sink.

Bodnar takes a massive step in the right direction and takes the Messina Group up in its offer of help....very smart IMO.

Bodnar's wife becomes the middle party connecting the two when university folks sit on their hands and provide no assistance to the Messina Group. This Group needs relevant data to do their thing and do it well and Bodnar's wife was only trying to speed that process up and move it along. I appreciate her passion and appreciate the fact this president and leaders are sick of watching the UM flounder.

why didn't bodnar just appoint a university employee to be the liason? that would be the smart thing to do. instead, it sounds to me like his wife deemed herself fit for the job and just inserted herself in the mix.

as a comparison, how do you feel about jared and ivanka's positions in the government? were they qualified?

Is this a typical academic and bureaucratic response? Let's form a committee to study whether and how to request information to be readied for a new consultant that the university is looking to engage (at no cost). Let's consult all unions working on campus too. Let's set up a long timetable and complicated procedure to ensure that nothing gets done on a timely basis.

where did i say form a committee(bqm) i know you pout when i point out alternative viewpoints, and you are making stuff up again, greenie. you've been doing that a lot lately. i said appoint someone. like maybe someone from the grossly overstaffed president's office that you mentioned (weak leaders like engstrom do tend to bloat the 'top' administrative levels).

also, are you going to address the scenario where the wife of your boss starts snooping around client info, despite not being qualified(bqm)

You asked why a UM employee wasn't asked to do what she did. It looks like UM employees were asked to do this, but several weeks went by without them doing anything. Bodnar asked her to bridge the gap. She jumped right on it and did.

His wife did no snooping at all. She asked what could be made available to be provided to the consultant. She made it clear that Bodnar has asked her to do tht. That is not snooping.

She is very smart and eminently qualified to ask what information could be made available and start the process to have it made available. Jeez, how hard is that?

What qualifications to you think that requires?

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
grizpsych said:
PlayerRep said:
Jeez, how dumb and petty is this guy?

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-president-s-wife-seeks-extremely-confidential-info/article_e5c72ed2-1fc7-51ef-973d-db4ddaa28ec5.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Looks like nepotism is starting earlier than I expected.

Nepotism? Huh, you must not know what it is. Nepotism required favoritism. What is his wife getting for doing this, other than unfair criticism and press and headaches? Bodnar asking his wife to help coordinate something is hardly nepotism.

it is when she isn't qualified and conducts university business without being vetted first. nepotism is actually rampant in academia. it really sucks, because if the spouse of, say, a university president does something that might be inappropriate, nobody wants to report it or stop her or anything for fear of catching the ire of their boss. unless, i guess, if the person is on their way out, anyway.

you don't understand much about nepotism, greenie.

Again, what qualifications do you believe are necessary to ask what information can be made available to a new consultant, and what has to be done to accomplish that? You want someone with qualifications for that, and someone to be vetted for that? That is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen you write.

You don't know what nepotism is. I know it because my firm and I often advise on it. There is no nepotism whatsoever in what was described in the article.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
grizpsych said:

Nepotism? Huh, you must not know what it is. Nepotism required favoritism. What is his wife getting for doing this, other than unfair criticism and press and headaches? Bodnar asking his wife to help coordinate something is hardly nepotism.

it is when she isn't qualified and conducts university business without being vetted first. nepotism is actually rampant in academia. it really sucks, because if the spouse of, say, a university president does something that might be inappropriate, nobody wants to report it or stop her or anything for fear of catching the ire of their boss. unless, i guess, if the person is on their way out, anyway.

you don't understand much about nepotism, greenie.

Again, what qualifications do you believe are necessary to ask what information can be made available to a new consultant, and what has to be done to accomplish that? You want someone with qualifications for that, and someone to be vetted for that? That is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen you write.

You don't know what nepotism is. I know it because my firm and I often advise on it. There is no nepotism whatsoever in what was described in the article.

Silly argument to use nepotism...obviously a pot stir attempt. The article specifically says she receives some payment for a job she is doing. Even if it doesn't have a specific title that Crady knows, she could very well be doing said job. Thank you PR for letting him know what nepotism really consists of!

1. Crady deserved to be fired. He dropped the ball on a follow up with TMG. That's unacceptable. I'm guessing he didn't want TMG to analyze his (flawed) strategy and did not want TMG to share their findings with the University (Bodnar). He's not a team player and has to go. If he did his job, Chelsea Elander-Bodnar wouldn't be in the picture.

2. I have no issue with Dr. Elander's involvement. All hands on deck, people... I appreciate her enthusiasm and would encourage a more active role for her if she wishes.

Big Picture...
I think I see how UM and TMG are establishing a workflow for this outreach campaign. They want data on prior UM students to see who the influencers are in UM's digital ecosystem. When they find these influential voices, UM can learn about and possibly promote the individual's story, but most importantly, they can use that person's digital influence to relay UM's story and brand. For example, your friend raving about his new F-150 on Facebook influences you much more than seeing a Ford advertisement in your news feed.

In essence, UM and TMG are looking for creative ways and creative people to tell UM's brand/story in a one-to-one-to many concept. This is a good start.

"Bodnar told him Elander would be in charge, Crady said."

nep·o·tism
ˈnepəˌtizəm/Submit
noun
the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

doesn't matter if she isn't paid, she was given the job to do specifically because she's bodnar's wife, not because she has any particular training or qualifications. my wife's a hell of a lot smarter than most people, greenie, and she's also world leader in data analytics, undoubtedly far more so than mrs. bodnar. in fact i'm pretty sure she's consulted for messina' s group from time to time on data integration and that sort of thing. that doesn't mean that if i was um's president it would be cool for me to have her interact with um employees in a very hands-on way regarding student data and messina's group, even if the um employees had slacked off and not done the job. the solution there is to tell them to get to f-ing work, or get fired, not send in your wife, especially if she has not been trained in ferpa and the like. you are clearly too dumb to see the problems with such actions, so i'll stop there.

so your firm consults on nepotism, eh, greenie. your customers are getting ripped off, since you don't even know what it is.

PlayerRep said:
grizpsych said:
PlayerRep said:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-president-s-wife-seeks-extremely-confidential-info/article_e5c72ed2-1fc7-51ef-973d-db4ddaa28ec5.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

What is astounding to me is to see how dumb, in some respects, college professors like yourself and argh are. No wonder so much of the Missoula community, and the even the board of regents, were excited to hire a competent non-academic to lead Montana.

With people like Engstrom, Crady, you and argh, no wonder so many academic institutions are struggling.

You are way over the line here. Bodnar is the president of the university. He could task any person that works at the university with this task. What does his wife get out of it, at the very least, a pretty awesome note on her CV.

Now regarding the whole enterprise, it's a noble venture. Nowhere in the article you posted did I see anyone against it. what I did read was people concerned that all laws are being followed. I think you would respect that given that you're a lawyer.

argh! said:

nep·o·tism
ˈnepəˌtizəm/Submit
noun
the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

doesn't matter if she isn't paid, she was given the job to do specifically because she's bodnar's wife, not because she has any particular training or qualifications. my wife's a hell of a lot smarter than most people, greenie, and she's also world leader in data analytics, undoubtedly far more so than mrs. bodnar. in fact i'm pretty sure she's consulted for messina' s group from time to time on data integration and that sort of thing. that doesn't mean that if i was um's president it would be cool for me to have her interact with um employees in a very hands-on way regarding student data and messina's group, even if the um employees had slacked off and not done the job. the solution there is to tell them to get to f-ing work, or get fired, not send in your wife, especially if she has not been trained in ferpa and the like. you are clearly too dumb to see the problems with such actions, so i'll stop there.

so your firm consults on nepotism, eh, greenie. your customers are getting ripped off, since you don't even know what it is.
+1 :thumb:

I'm finding it hard to see the bad in his wife getting involved with recruitment. sounds to me like she wants to work hard to get more students coming to the U. at least shes not complacent just doing nothing...

griz5700 said:
1. Crady deserved to be fired. He dropped the ball on a follow up with TMG. That's unacceptable. I'm guessing he didn't want TMG to analyze his (flawed) strategy and did not want TMG to share their findings with the University (Bodnar). He's not a team player and has to go. If he did his job, Chelsea Elander-Bodnar wouldn't be in the picture.

2. I have no issue with Dr. Elander's involvement. All hands on deck, people... I appreciate her enthusiasm and would encourage a more active role for her if she wishes.

Big Picture...
I think I see how UM and TMG are establishing a workflow for this outreach campaign. They want data on prior UM students to see who the influencers are in UM's digital ecosystem. When they find these influential voices, UM can learn about and possibly promote the individual's story, but most importantly, they can use that person's digital influence to relay UM's story and brand. For example, your friend raving about his new F-150 on Facebook influences you much more than seeing a Ford advertisement in your news feed.

In essence, UM and TMG are looking for creative ways and creative people to tell UM's brand/story in a one-to-one-to many concept. This is a good start.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. A highly educated, extremely qualified volunteer took the bull by the horns because university employees continue to flounder and drop the ball....and people are upset? Hell, thank goodness someone like this is taking action otherwise our university would continue sinking. She did nothing wrong and did everything right and I am so happy it was done.

While we are on the subject of University employees completely blowing it, what is up with the fact that financial aid packages got delivered six weeks late and could also be leading to poor enrollment numbers for fall? Who fucked that up and what are the repercussions for that employee or that office?

astutegriz said:
grizpsych said:
PlayerRep said:

Actually, they take all kinds of volunteers, not just spouses. It was just embarrassing when the volunteer turned out more competent than the VP. It is often lost that sometimes thank you is the proper response to someone volunteering.

Well said.

Just an observation: has the Missoulian or Main Hall taken advantage of the publicity offered by the award of the Pulitzer Prize to a U of M grad? It was reported in my local newspaper and I am 2000 miles from Missoula. That is the type of news that should be sent out to every high school counselor in the country.

By now, Bodnar may very well be shaking his head in bewilderment over what kind of drama town he took a pay cut to plant his family in.

I think he's up for the challenge but some of the resistance and obstacles he is encountering are simply embarrassing to anyone who truly loves this institution and wants it to succeed.

#dramaqueens

signedbewildered said:
By now, Bodnar may very well be shaking his head in bewilderment over what kind of drama town he took a pay cut to plant his family in.

I think he's up for the challenge but some of the resistance and obstacles he is encountering are simply embarrassing to anyone who truly loves this institution and wants it to succeed.

#dramaqueens

GE’s getting pounded. He’s dam glad to be here.

argh! said:

nep·o·tism
ˈnepəˌtizəm/Submit
noun

In charge of asking what data is available and working on getting it to the new consultant?

Big deal. Crady apparently couldn't even do that, or be trusted to do it. No wonder he's been moved on.

There is no power in doing what she appears to be doing.

No one needs to be trained in FERPA to ask the right place at the university what is available, with a goal to providing it to the new consultant in due course. That's what in-house counsel and others are for. To advise on requirements and procedure

Our clients are pubic entities including universities. The firm has been doing this for many decades, and always provided top advice. There is zero nepotism in what I can see from the newspaper article.

My faith in college professors/researchers is plummeting. People who are being ripped off are universities where you have worked. You are an idiot on some of this stuff.

signedbewildered said:

#dramaqueens

Jeez, he's had people shooting at him. This is easy for him.

HookedonGriz said:
griz5700 said:

Big Picture...

I couldn't agree with you more on this. A highly educated, extremely qualified volunteer took the bull by the horns because university employees continue to flounder and drop the ball....and people are upset? Hell, thank goodness someone like this is taking action otherwise our university would continue sinking. She did nothing wrong and did everything right and I am so happy it was done.

While we are on the subject of University employees completely blowing it, what is up with the fact that financial aid packages got delivered six weeks late and could also be leading to poor enrollment numbers for fall? Who f***[*] that up and what are the repercussions for that employee or that office?

Good point on financial aid packages. Maybe Bodnar's wife should engage in that area too.

HookedonGriz said:
griz5700 said:

Big Picture...

While we are on the subject of University employees completely blowing it, what is up with the fact that financial aid packages got delivered six weeks late and could also be leading to poor enrollment numbers for fall? Who f***[*] that up and what are the repercussions for that employee or that office?
My earlier comment was based on just the flow of eGriz comments, but I finally went and read the damn article. I won't go into all the ins-and-outs about legal matters etc (a careful request about what information was available and could be released, no information actually released, a firm that has much experience in the "privacy" area, and so on).

I don't much care about all that. What I read was a standard scenario: Disgruntled under-performing employee goes public with "concerns" about matters that could have (in his view) happened, but actually didn't. You can go back and forth about whether it was "appropriate" for the president's wife to get involved, and so on ... but from afar, this looks pretty much like a normal "pissed off, soon-to-be ex-employee getting back" sequence. No laws were violated or even endangered, and the benefit to the "nepotism" beneficiary is problematic at best. Far as I can tell, there is no there ... there.

IdaGriz01 said:
HookedonGriz said:
griz5700 said:

Big Picture...

My earlier comment was based on just the flow of eGriz comments, but I finally went and read the damn article. I won't go into all the ins-and-outs about legal matters etc (a careful request about what information was available and could be released, no information actually released, a firm that has much experience in the "privacy" area, and so on).

I don't much care about all that. What I read was a standard scenario: Disgruntled under-performing employee goes public with "concerns" about matters that could have (in his view) happened, but actually didn't. You can go back and forth about whether it was "appropriate" for the president's wife to get involved, and so on ... but from afar, this looks pretty much like a normal "pissed off, soon-to-be ex-employee getting back" sequence. No laws were violated or even endangered, and the benefit to the "nepotism" beneficiary is problematic at best. Far as I can tell, there is no there ... there.

Good posts!! :agree:

There is a small group of posters here that are obviously intelligent, always on the same page with each other and have a strangely dislexic perspective on issues that are generally straight forward. I can appreciate different perspectives because of points I may not have considered but holy hell guys, every damn subject???

Through my eyes, this is really nothing more than a incompetent disgruntled former employee that has shamefully decided to take some parting shots on his way out! The university needs to continue to purge these types of people and get some team players on board to work hard and communicate with each other to fix the issues!

Back