• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Glory Days............

ranco said:
Where did I say "fire him"? Do you really, honestly and truly, think that Stitt is going to get this team, or next years team or the year after that's team anywhere close to a national championship? Given what you've seen? The guy is a career 63% coach. But suddenly he's going to win the U a championship???

I think your posts make it very clear that you want him fired. Based on his history in Colorado you believe he will never be a successful coach. If that is the case, then why not fire him now and start the search for a new coach, the season is over anyway, right?

You can't always predict future success based on past performance, just look at Don Read, Joe Glenn, Bobby Hauck, Mick Dennehy.

Stitt may not be the right coach but at this point it is too early to tell. The next two games may provide a pretty good road map, though.
[/quote]
Actually I'd be happy if he won 7 games, which he won't, and fired Semore, which he also probably won't. Doesn't matter though as he will go 6-5, not make the playoffs and get fired anyway.
So, I've asked this of others, but how many subpar years would give him before you thought it was ok to fire him?

I wont speak directly on his performance, but Stitt has never had 100% fan/booster support at any point of his Montana tenure. There is a contingent of folks who never supported his hire and have been naysayers the entire time he has been at UM, and even some who actively rooted against him. The Griz fan base is tricky. Some fans support the program no matter what, some support players and not coaches and some appear to just like to watch the world burn and say I told you so.

ari gold said:
I wont speak directly on his performance, but Stitt has never had 100% fan/booster support at any point of his Montana tenure. There is a contingent of folks who never supported his hire and have been naysayers the entire time he has been at UM, and even some who actively rooted against him. The Griz fan base is tricky. Some fans support the program no matter what, some support players and not coaches and some appear to just like to watch the world burn and say I told you so.

He had my full support for a year and 10/11's. He had put an otherwise unknown college team on the map at CSM and I assumed with the quality of kids he'd get here, he'd be able to get us to the top. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, even though there were times that he seemed in over his head and we had some losses to teams we should've beat. That cat loss was it for me. No way in hell should a team that bad come to WaGriz and beat us, especially the cats. He is, IMO, exactly what his record says he is. A 63% coach.

RobGriz said:
ari gold said:

He had my full support for a year and 10/11's. He had put an otherwise unknown college team on the map at CSM and I assumed with the quality of kids he'd get here, he'd be able to get us to the top. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, even though there were times that he seemed in over his head and we had some losses to teams we should've beat. That cat loss was it for me. No way in hell should a team that bad come to WaGriz and beat us, especially the cats. He is, IMO, exactly what his record says he is. A 63% coach.

10/11's is simply not a fraction that sees much use (outside of Spinal Tap references). Nicely done, Rob! :clap:

RobGriz said:
ranco said:
Where did I say "fire him"? Do you really, honestly and truly, think that Stitt is going to get this team, or next years team or the year after that's team anywhere close to a national championship? Given what you've seen? The guy is a career 63% coach. But suddenly he's going to win the U a championship???

I think your posts make it very clear that you want him fired. Based on his history in Colorado you believe he will never be a successful coach. If that is the case, then why not fire him now and start the search for a new coach, the season is over anyway, right?

You can't always predict future success based on past performance, just look at Don Read, Joe Glenn, Bobby Hauck, Mick Dennehy.

Stitt may not be the right coach but at this point it is too early to tell. The next two games may provide a pretty good road map, though.
Actually I'd be happy if he won 7 games, which he won't, and fired Semore, which he also probably won't. Doesn't matter though as he will go 6-5, not make the playoffs and get fired anyway.
So, I've asked this of others, but how many subpar years would give him before you thought it was ok to fire him?
[/quote]

Good question. If we went 6-5 this year but did it by convincingly winning the last 4 games of the year, I would give him another year, hoping the success would carry over. If we go 6-5 in the manner we did last year, I would not give him another year.

I still have hope that Stitt can turn the tide and bring us out of mediocrity. The offense is certainly getting better and there is some good young talent.

ranco said:
Good question. If we went 6-5 this year but did it by convincingly winning the last 4 games of the year, I would give him another year, hoping the success would carry over. If we go 6-5 in the manner we did last year, I would not give him another year.

I still have hope that Stitt can turn the tide and bring us out of mediocrity. The offense is certainly getting better and there is some good young talent.
Regarding mediocrity, we must be a few notches below having lost 5 or our last 6 conf. games and 5 of our last 6 road games. So we are hoping to get to mediocrity. Regarding 6-5 (which is pretty mediocre since we had two cupcakes), I'm having trouble putting together the list of 4 teams that we beat to get there.

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
RobGriz said:
ari gold said:

10/11's is simply not a fraction that sees much use (outside of Spinal Tap references). Nicely done, Rob! :clap:

You either caught the meaning of the 10/11's reference and are smarter than I gave you credit for or didn't, which enforces my original opinion of your football knowledge. I suspect the latter, Spinal Tap reference not withstanding.

RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:
Spanky said:
Not sure Rob, but it looks like the majority are ok with it

Don't take this the wrong way because its truly not meant as an attack or a troll or any of that BS.
But whose "we" are any of us suiting up for for games? Breaking down film? Coaching the team or any thing else other than watching the games? Brint spends a pile of time breaking down games and what not, does he get paid? Do you truly think the kids and coaches don't care? I'm 100 percent sure that if any of us actually sat down with Stiff and crew, watched film with them, saw what they did day to day you wouldn't think they are morons. I damn well knew Don Read wasn't a moron after listening to him and getting the opportunity to ask him a question here and there.
Oh shut up. No one said they don't care. WTF does caring have to do with it? You can care and still suck, i.e. this coaching staff. You can have a ton of heart and still lose. As far as the rest goes of course I couldn't do better, just like Bob Stitt couldn't work on airplanes as good as I can but no ones paying him to do so, but I suspect he'd still recognize an aircraft crash if he saw one

I wouldn't be so sure. It's pretty much all ball bearings anyway.

RobGriz said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
RobGriz said:
ari gold said:

You either caught the meaning of the 10/11's reference and are smarter than I gave you credit for or didn't, which enforces my original opinion of your football knowledge. I suspect the latter, Spinal Tap reference not withstanding.

Yeah, your use of 10/11's was a real head scratcher. :roll:

Shot in the dark: does anyone else get the sense that a lot of the anti-Stitt guys wear that Avon cologne that comes in those glass cars and probably have a decent-sized model train collection? I could be off, but it seems like they are the type to sit in a lawn chair for eight hours up at the river lot saying that Paul is grilling those burgers all wrong, and telling kids that they'll "never catch anything with that."

CDAGRIZ said:
Shot in the dark: does anyone else get the sense that a lot of the anti-Stitt guys wear that Avon cologne that comes in those glass cars and probably have a decent-sized model train collection? I could be off, but it seems like they are the type to sit in a lawn chair for eight hours up at the river lot saying that Paul is grilling those burgers all wrong, and telling kids that they'll "never catch anything with that."

:clap:

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
RobGriz said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
RobGriz said:

Apparently you're new here

One would think that the anti-Stittite crowd would go on a 3 day bender and declare it a Festivus miracle with each loss. After all it means he is a step closer to the coaches' graveyard and an opportunity to prove the pro-Stittites not only wrong but stupid.

The real fear should be that he will win just enough games to keep his contract and we will be at the same place next year this time.

And yeah for you under-intellectuals I'm joking. Well, maybe not so much about being in the same place next year.

ari gold said:

Of what I view as the semi-upper level supporters and ex players, I don't think Stitt ever had much support there at all. Only a small percentage were against him, and there were some of them who were immediately against him, but most of that bigger group were more scratching their heads as to what Haslam had done by hiring outside of Griz nation and taking a wait and see approach. Some of that large segment, which includes people like Rob and Kem, don't think it's going to work. The group of no-Stitters have grown and is getting more vocal.

Ari, look at QB Club. A number of people left when Bobby wasn't hired and Stitt was. Attempts to build up the numbers are mixed, at best. Attendance at the Griz golf auction in June has really gone down in the last 2 years. Don't know why, but could guess.

Haslam et al got an ear full later last season. It's must be getting louder now. I like Stitt personally, but a number of important people in Griz nation have not warmed up to him. He didn't embrace these Griz nation types, or many of them, when he came.

The end of last season turned many people against him, and made alot more concerned. The second halves against UW and EWU have made many people even more concerned.

The team needs to start winning games. I think they will, but I don't know and I too am concerned. Losing Phillips was very unfortunate. Jensen is going to be very good, but he's not there yet, and I'm sorry but he is not what Phillips had indicated he would be this year.

7-4 and playoffs, Stitt is okay, especially with Cat win. Maybe even without it. 6-5, with Cat win. Probably. With Cat loss, I don't think so. 5-6, gone.

As I have said before, if Stitt departs, and Hauck is interested, I don't think large/important supporters will allow Haslam to choose anyone but Bobby. They would apply pressure, and if not listened too, would try to force Haslam out. I keep hearing Bobby is interested, but I don't know for sure.

CDAGRIZ said:

Shot in the dark: does anyone else get the sense that the "pro-Stitt" guys are the guys at the end of the bar wreaking of stale beer and cigarettes mumbling about coach not putting them in in the 4th quarter? You know the type that sit down by the lake trying to convince anyone that will listen that they have a fucking clue about football, while even their embarrassed wife has to admit his knowledge of the game is on par with a third grade girls soccer team.

RobGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Shot in the dark: does anyone else get the sense that the "pro-Stitt" guys are the guys at the end of the bar wreaking of stale beer and cigarettes mumbling about coach not putting them in in the 4th quarter? You know the type that sit down by the lake trying to convince anyone that will listen that they have a fucking clue about football, while even their embarrassed wife has to admit his knowledge of the game is on par with a third grade girls soccer team.

Huh, no. No, I've never got that impression. Then again, I don't hang out with too many people whose wives get embarrassed about football knowledge or know much about soccer.

RobGriz said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
RobGriz said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:

Apparently you're new here

It's like playing five-dimensional chess trying to keep up with everyone around here! Is that a veiled reference to a reference to a person that may or may not have been intending sarcasm? Crikes! Anyway, sorry man...

CDAGRIZ said:
RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:
Spanky said:
Not sure Rob, but it looks like the majority are ok with it

Don't take this the wrong way because its truly not meant as an attack or a troll or any of that BS.
But whose "we" are any of us suiting up for for games? Breaking down film? Coaching the team or any thing else other than watching the games? Brint spends a pile of time breaking down games and what not, does he get paid? Do you truly think the kids and coaches don't care? I'm 100 percent sure that if any of us actually sat down with Stiff and crew, watched film with them, saw what they did day to day you wouldn't think they are morons. I damn well knew Don Read wasn't a moron after listening to him and getting the opportunity to ask him a question here and there.
Oh shut up. No one said they don't care. WTF does caring have to do with it? You can care and still suck, i.e. this coaching staff. You can have a ton of heart and still lose. As far as the rest goes of course I couldn't do better, just like Bob Stitt couldn't work on airplanes as good as I can but no ones paying him to do so, but I suspect he'd still recognize an aircraft crash if he saw one

I wouldn't be so sure. It's pretty much all ball bearings anyway.

Yeah....not so much

CDAGRIZ said:
RobGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Shot in the dark: does anyone else get the sense that the "pro-Stitt" guys are the guys at the end of the bar wreaking of stale beer and cigarettes mumbling about coach not putting them in in the 4th quarter? You know the type that sit down by the lake trying to convince anyone that will listen that they have a f***[*] clue about football, while even their embarrassed wife has to admit his knowledge of the game is on par with a third grade girls soccer team.

Huh, no. No, I've never got that impression. Then again, I don't hang out with too many people whose wives get embarrassed about football knowledge or know much about soccer.

Well, judging from your posts you're not very perceptive, so it's understandable.

Back