• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Glory Days............

grizpack said:
RobGriz said:
Htowngriz said:
RobGriz said:
How far have we fallen that going from Hauck, winning the Big Sky and going to the playoffs to Stitt's 6-5 is the new norm. What's even more disheartening is, apparently, some fans are ok with it.

Stitt went 7-4 in his first season, and spanked SDSU in the first round before running into the NDSU buzz saw.

Obviously no one is happy with the way last season ended, but at least give it until the end of this one before you start calling for heads....and constantly bitching and moaning. Like AZ said, no one is getting canned mid-season anyway.
So...what are you going to say when they end up 6-5 and out of the playoffs again this year? You'll be all "remember his first year when they went 7-4 and then got humiliated by NDSU?? Man what a great year!!" I'll bet.
You're like the guy whose wife cheats on him after 22 years of marriage. You're all "yeah but she didn't cheat on me the other 21 years"

:roll:

Rob- Just curious what you are doing about this situation other than bitching? Have you voiced your displeasure with Kent? He isn't hard to find. Have you started a fund raising campaign to hire a new staff? With our current budget, we aren't getting Hauck, a Power 5 coordinator, or likely a tenured position coach from a Power 5 conference. Have you gone to the QB Club (no, I am not a member) to hear what Stitt has to say, and what his reasonings are for the situation they are in? Do you like the recruiting class that is coming together so far? What do you think would happen to that class if Stitt or Seymore was "fired" in the middle of the season?

Just curious. I hear a lot of "fire him". Then what? What is the solution you have then? Ask a Nebraska fan (like me) how that works out sometimes......

Where did I say "fire him"? Do you really, honestly and truly, think that Stitt is going to get this team, or next years team or the year after that's team anywhere close to a national championship? Given what you've seen? The guy is a career 63% coach. But suddenly he's going to win the U a championship???

Htowngriz said:
RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:
Cue up the Boss! After spending way to much time on this forum I'm starting to think we are all suffering from Glory Days Syndrome. This isn't Don Reads era, its nor Bobby Hauk's era, it is the present, wanting, wishing or EXPECTING it to be something its not is pointless. There was a poster on here from Eastern that said your fan base is old, well I'm certain the membership of egriz is old, do you really think the kids in school now follow this? Hell facebook is yesterday for them.

I was 19 years old when Don Read was hired, was waiting tables at the Sheraton where they had breakfast club, worked those breakfasts. Bunch of old guys would go in there every week, bitch and complain about what a moron Don was. He would listen nod and smile, explain the direction of where they were trying to get blah blah. Then they started making the playoffs, then get a little further, then have a set back for a year then get a little further. All the while the old guys bitched and complained. Then a magical thing happened, Dave Dickinson arrived and all the pieces fell into place, and the complainers didn't even see it coming, they wanted to fire him EVERY year.

That was my grizzly team, and it was super cool watching it happen. Hauck came along and I hated everything he did I turned into a complainer wanting my glory days back. Well shame on me, Hauck was just different and I didn't like it. He should have won a couple of NC's but he didn't move on.

Stitt and this era are here now, and it reminds me of Don Read, the magic is right around the corner and we're all to busy bitching to see it. But I'm sure we will all be yapping about how we had faith the whole time afterwards..............

How far have we fallen that going from Hauck, winning the Big Sky and going to the playoffs to Stitt's 6-5 is the new norm. What's even more disheartening is, apparently, some fans are ok with it.

Stitt went 7-4 in his first season, and spanked SDSU in the first round before running into the NDSU buzz saw.

Obviously no one is happy with the way last season ended, but at least give it until the end of this one before you start calling for heads....and constantly bitching and moaning. Like AZ said, no one is getting canned mid-season anyway.
Back in the day, Stitt went 7-4. Great. I know he isn't getting canned mid-season. Hell, he'll probably sacrifice a coach or two and get an extension. But he is who he is, he's never been anything else. Now if someone could just refresh my memory on how many times he made it past the first round of playoffs in his ENTIRE career as a head coach and than explain to me how that makes him the "guy" to get us back to glory? No worries, I'll wait.

RobGriz said:
daGrizJ said:
RobGriz said:
Htowngriz said:

So...what are you going to say when they end up 6-5 and out of the playoffs again this year? You'll be all "remember his first year when they went 7-4 and then got humiliated by NDSU?? Man what a great year!!" I'll bet.
You're like the guy whose wife cheats on him after 22 years of marriage. You're all "yeah but she didn't cheat on me the other 21 years"

Gawd, how can you read what is being said and not comprehend?

Gawd, how desperate are you that you think 6-5 is ok? Are you so willing to except mediocrity? Do you not see that this coaching staff is in over its head and has been???? They've shown it over and over. I comprehend just fine. There are apparently a bunch of you willing to hang your hats on 6-5 seasons in the hope that some day, some freakin day we will get to 7-4 and make the playoffs...yay.

Sorry Rob. You absolutely sound like an entitled and out of touch fan. Seriously, the world changes. The U of M has gone through some tough times and things ebb and flow. MSU's enrollments up, the economy changed, the make up of the nation and state have changed. Change, it happens and things will flip again. That is how life works. You don't stay on top forever and you have to rebuild. Look at Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. The Griz are trying to return to glory. Is anyone happy with a losing season? Not true fans is happy and you sound like a total jackass saying people are satisfied. Really. The coaches, players and AD want to lose and are happy without beating MSU and not making the playoffs? Come on. They are likely three times as competitive as you are. Is Stitt the answer. Maybe, maybe not. Until he is fired or the program returns to the "glory days" - I will be rooting hard for the staff and the entire team. Give it a rest.

b_f_c_99 said:
Spanky said:
Not sure Rob, but it looks like the majority are ok with it

Don't take this the wrong way because its truly not meant as an attack or a troll or any of that BS.
But whose "we" are any of us suiting up for for games? Breaking down film? Coaching the team or any thing else other than watching the games? Brint spends a pile of time breaking down games and what not, does he get paid? Do you truly think the kids and coaches don't care? I'm 100 percent sure that if any of us actually sat down with Stiff and crew, watched film with them, saw what they did day to day you wouldn't think they are morons. I damn well knew Don Read wasn't a moron after listening to him and getting the opportunity to ask him a question here and there.
Oh shut up. No one said they don't care. WTF does caring have to do with it? You can care and still suck, i.e. this coaching staff. You can have a ton of heart and still lose. As far as the rest goes of course I couldn't do better, just like Bob Stitt couldn't work on airplanes as good as I can but no ones paying him to do so, but I suspect he'd still recognize an aircraft crash if he saw one

RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:
Spanky said:

Don't take this the wrong way because its truly not meant as an attack or a troll or any of that BS.
But whose "we" are any of us suiting up for for games? Breaking down film? Coaching the team or any thing else other than watching the games? Brint spends a pile of time breaking down games and what not, does he get paid? Do you truly think the kids and coaches don't care? I'm 100 percent sure that if any of us actually sat down with Stiff and crew, watched film with them, saw what they did day to day you wouldn't think they are morons. I damn well knew Don Read wasn't a moron after listening to him and getting the opportunity to ask him a question here and there.
Oh shut up. No one said they don't care. WTF does caring have to do with it? You can care and still suck, i.e. this coaching staff. You can have a ton of heart and still lose. As far as the rest goes of course I couldn't do better, just like Bob Stitt couldn't work on airplanes as good as I can but no ones paying him to do so, but I suspect he'd still recognize an aircraft crash if he saw one

Stop drinking, get counseling, take a walk. Fuc$

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:
Cue up the Boss! After spending way to much time on this forum I'm starting to think we are all suffering from Glory Days Syndrome. This isn't Don Reads era, its nor Bobby Hauk's era, it is the present, wanting, wishing or EXPECTING it to be something its not is pointless. There was a poster on here from Eastern that said your fan base is old, well I'm certain the membership of egriz is old, do you really think the kids in school now follow this? Hell facebook is yesterday for them.

I was 19 years old when Don Read was hired, was waiting tables at the Sheraton where they had breakfast club, worked those breakfasts. Bunch of old guys would go in there every week, bitch and complain about what a moron Don was. He would listen nod and smile, explain the direction of where they were trying to get blah blah. Then they started making the playoffs, then get a little further, then have a set back for a year then get a little further. All the while the old guys bitched and complained. Then a magical thing happened, Dave Dickinson arrived and all the pieces fell into place, and the complainers didn't even see it coming, they wanted to fire him EVERY year.

That was my grizzly team, and it was super cool watching it happen. Hauck came along and I hated everything he did I turned into a complainer wanting my glory days back. Well shame on me, Hauck was just different and I didn't like it. He should have won a couple of NC's but he didn't move on.

Stitt and this era are here now, and it reminds me of Don Read, the magic is right around the corner and we're all to busy bitching to see it. But I'm sure we will all be yapping about how we had faith the whole time afterwards..............

Well, he can start this Saturday. In the presser after the EWU game he said, "This team will get better every single week." Time for show and tell.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

I believe they did get better from the previous week...their opponent was just more better...lol

:lol:

hold-em said:
I work at UM. I bump into players on campus and chat with them as often as I get the opportunity. These kids are very upbeat. They love football and they love playing for the Griz.

And...? So Stitt should stay because kids love to play?? Bet they'd like playing for a coach that knew wtf he was doing.

Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:
Spanky said:

I don't drink, I'm married to a Social Worker, I run about 30 miles a week. Dipsh1t.

EverettGriz said:
Rob, et al:

No ONE, and I literally mean not one single person associated with this program -- from Kent down to my friend's 3 year old nephew -- are happy with 6-5 seasons. We do NOT expect that to be the new normal.

But anyone who has watched any sport for more than a few years understands that no team -- not UCLA basketball, not the 1960s Packers, not the Lakers, not the Yankees, not Montana and no, not even NDSU eventually -- can maintain the ridiculous level of success that the Griz enjoyed for such a ridiculous period of time. Life and sports simply do not work that way. We call that a ridiculous period for a reason.

Griz fans are spoiled. I get it. We expect that 11-1 seasons with 3 home playoff games and trips to the title game are our birthright. But reality paints a different picture. This program will be fine. Will we ever return to that ridiculous level of extended dominance? Likely not. And for many, that's okay, because we understand that was truly a once in a lifetime thing.

I agree with you, and I was saying over a decade ago that the Griz had a lot of unrealistic fans when some complained about Hauck a national championship. Beyond that, however, is the question many are concerned about, and that is whether UM has the right head coach, and right DC, to get the team back to where it was or even close. I'm still on the Stitt/Semore team, but I am sure not telling others like Rob that they are wrong. Not after the collapse last season and the start this year (and this season is still young and has nice potential, in my view). And, as I have said before, how is the performance of the team under Stitt better than Delaney's last 2 years, which were 11-3 and 9-5, with making the playoffs and beating the Cats, and being ranked nos. 8 and 12 post-season those two years? What's the trend? Where's the trend?

Look at good fans and former players like Kem. He's actually a great fan and supporter. He loves the team. I doubt that he has unrealistic expectations. But he is very concerned, and he is not alone.

And, this is the internet, so lots of things get to be discussed.

RobGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:

I don't drink, I'm married to a Social Worker, I run about 30 miles a week. Dipsh1t.

Maybe talk your social worker spouse about anger management.

Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:
daGrizJ said:
RobGriz said:

Gawd, how desperate are you that you think 6-5 is ok? Are you so willing to except mediocrity? Do you not see that this coaching staff is in over its head and has been???? They've shown it over and over. I comprehend just fine. There are apparently a bunch of you willing to hang your hats on 6-5 seasons in the hope that some day, some freakin day we will get to 7-4 and make the playoffs...yay.

Sorry Rob. You absolutely sound like an entitled and out of touch fan. Seriously, the world changes. The U of M has gone through some tough times and things ebb and flow. MSU's enrollments up, the economy changed, the make up of the nation and state have changed. Change, it happens and things will flip again. That is how life works. You don't stay on top forever and you have to rebuild. Look at Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. The Griz are trying to return to glory. Is anyone happy with a losing season? Not true fans is happy and you sound like a total jackass saying people are satisfied. Really. The coaches, players and AD want to lose and are happy without beating MSU and not making the playoffs? Come on. They are likely three times as competitive as you are. Is Stitt the answer. Maybe, maybe not. Until he is fired or the program returns to the "glory days" - I will be rooting hard for the staff and the entire team. Give it a rest.

Well. If mediocrity is what you want, mediocrity is what you've got.
I'll root for the team, but believing that somehow rooting for the staff will make them better is just naive. How many times do they have to prove they are in over their heads before Griz Nation will see it. Just look at the presser after this weekend.

Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:

Maybe go f*** yourself??? No ones asking for your bullsh1t comments, are they?

RobGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:
Copper Griz said:

The anger is strong in this one. It is football dipshit. People died today, lost jobs, got divorced, lost homes because of hurricanes, etc. Get a grip. I think things will be ok this week when the Griz win. Even with asshole fans like you

RobGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:
daGrizJ said:

Well. If mediocrity is what you want, mediocrity is what you've got.
I'll root for the team, but believing that somehow rooting for the staff will make them better is just naive. How many times do they have to prove they are in over their heads before Griz Nation will see it. Just look at the presser after this weekend.

I am in agreement with you Rob griz , it's like the band on the titanic,they keep playing until the water is up to there asshole and the there like holy fuck we're sinking .
They can not see the forest through the trees .
If people go back and watch the games when they focusing on Stitt he has that deer in the headlight look on his face . Again he maybe an offensive genius but he is no coach

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Rob, et al:

No ONE, and I literally mean not one single person associated with this program -- from Kent down to my friend's 3 year old nephew -- are happy with 6-5 seasons. We do NOT expect that to be the new normal.

But anyone who has watched any sport for more than a few years understands that no team -- not UCLA basketball, not the 1960s Packers, not the Lakers, not the Yankees, not Montana and no, not even NDSU eventually -- can maintain the ridiculous level of success that the Griz enjoyed for such a ridiculous period of time. Life and sports simply do not work that way. We call that a ridiculous period for a reason.

Griz fans are spoiled. I get it. We expect that 11-1 seasons with 3 home playoff games and trips to the title game are our birthright. But reality paints a different picture. This program will be fine. Will we ever return to that ridiculous level of extended dominance? Likely not. And for many, that's okay, because we understand that was truly a once in a lifetime thing.

I agree with you, and I was saying over a decade ago that the Griz had a lot of unrealistic fans when some complained about Hauck a national championship. Beyond that, however, is the question many are concerned about, and that is whether UM has the right head coach, and right DC, to get the team back to where it was or even close. I'm still on the Stitt/Semore team, but I am sure not telling others like Rob that they are wrong. Not after the collapse last season and the start this year (and this season is still young and has nice potential, in my view). And, as I have said before, how is the performance of the team under Stitt better than Delaney's last 2 years, which were 11-3 and 9-5, with making the playoffs and beating the Cats, and being ranked nos. 8 and 12 post-season those two years? What's the trend? Where's the trend?

Look at good fans and former players like Kem. He's actually a great fan and supporter. He loves the team. I doubt that he has unrealistic expectations. But he is very concerned, and he is not alone.

Exactly. I don't expect 11-1. Hell 8-3 with a playoff game would be fine. Right now I'd settle for being in the top 25.
I'm not saying that we need or should be making deep runs every year, but we should, at the very least be competitive in our own conference. But lately all I see is people willing to hope on next year. 6-5 and losing to a HORRIBLE msu team should never be "ok". But if we do the same thing this year, which, from all I've seen is more than likely, most of the posters here will come up with a thousand excuses..."wait til next year"..."Bobs just gotta get 'his' guys"..."it was one guy on defense that messed it up"

Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:

The anger is strong in this one. It is football dipshit. People died today, lost jobs, got divorced, lost homes because of hurricanes, etc. Get a grip. I think things will be ok this week when the Griz win. Even with asshole fans like you
But, that's the thing, I'm not "angry". I'm just smart enough to see what is going on. You keep hoping against hope and not really adding any significant argument, other than to hurl insults and tell yourself that one day Stitt will finally "get it". Meanwhile those of us that actually understand football will understand that this staff, while well meaning and intentioned is completely over its head.
That said, any time you'd like to actually post an argument that shows you know anything...anything at all....about the game of football, please do. Dumbass.

Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:

If you want to be treated like an adult maybe you should act like one !
Yeah people died today ,got divorced and lost homes everyone understands that . Some people watch the game and have passion for it so they can relax and take there mind off of the shitty things that happen in the world .

If middle of the pack is comfortable with you, ok, but after being top dog it's hard to lose that feeling.

RobGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
RobGriz said:
Copper Griz said:

But, that's the thing, I'm not "angry". I'm just smart enough to see what is going on. You keep hoping against hope and not really adding any significant argument, other than to hurl insults and tell yourself that one day Stitt will finally "get it". Meanwhile those of us that actually understand football will understand that this staff, while well meaning and intentioned is completely over its head.
That said, any time you'd like to actually post an argument that shows you know anything...anything at all....about the game of football, please do. Dumbass.

Keep going man . Love it :thumb:

RobGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Rob, et al:

Exactly. I don't expect 11-1. Hell 8-3 with a playoff game would be fine. Right now I'd settle for being in the top 25.
I'm not saying that we need or should be making deep runs every year, but we should, at the very least be competitive in our own conference. But lately all I see is people willing to hope on next year. 6-5 and losing to a HORRIBLE msu team should never be "ok". But if we do the same thing this year, which, from all I've seen is more than likely, most of the posters here will come up with a thousand excuses..."wait til next year"..."Bobs just gotta get 'his' guys"..."it was one guy on defense that messed it up"

The thing I don't understand is we are 2-2, and exactly where 99% of rational Griz fans expected us to be. Sure, we lost a nice lead Saturday and at halftime a lot of us were thinking "3-1, here we come!" Until the 2nd half was over, but we're 2-2, right where we thought. Honestly, it's NOW that the season really starts. Stitt needs to go 5-2 at a minimum to get to the playoffs and win a couple. Absent that, I think he's a goner, but I'm not ready to pass that judgement when we're exactly where we thought we'd be, and essentially the WAY we thought we'd get here....two blowout wins, a blowout loss, and close loss to a team that's had our number for the past 6 years.

Latest posts

Back