• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wazzu Transfer Mason Vinyard 6'5" 230lb Rush Linebacker

Egriz police are good at piling on. Catfish thinks UM should recruit in the Midwest. So what? Not a bad idea.

Spanky2 said:
Egriz police are good at piling on. Catfish thinks UM should recruit in the Midwest. So what? Not a bad idea.
No, that's not the issue. I'm all for recruiting the Midwest.

He's suggesting we fire the coaches and look for news ones specifically because the ones we have now don't recruit the Midwest.

That's pretty ridiculous because, again, the lack of big farm boys from Nebraska and Minnesota is not the reason (or even one of the top 10 reasons) we've struggled lately.

Spanky2 said:

I think it would be beneficial, and not a bad idea, to recruit everywhere, but I realize that for many reasons that is not realistic.

uofmman1122 said:
Spanky2 said:
No, that's not the issue. I'm all for recruiting the Midwest.

He's suggesting we fire the coaches and look for news ones specifically because the ones we have now don't recruit the Midwest.

That's pretty ridiculous because, again, the lack of big farm boys from Nebraska and Minnesota is not the reason (or even one of the top 10 reasons) we've struggled lately.

It's interesting to me that Coach Hauck has said one of the recruiting challenges the current staff faces is the reduction in population of eastern Montana, where the Griz found many offensive lineman in the first go-around. Presumably some of those guys might have been described as 'big farm boys'.

The Hancock brothers and Chris Orwig came from Kansas. Under Hauck. Is Kansas not in the Midwest?

Hermansen was from South Dakota.

Hemphill is from Chicago.

Not in Midwest, but 2 from Oklahoma, Beaver from VA, Mamula from Philly.

AZGrizFan » Tue May 21, 2019 10:46 pm

Catfish, the first rule of getting out of the massive hole you’ve dug for yourself is to put down the fucking shovel.

For the love of GOD, put down the shovel bro.

Cmon AZ - its raining out, rivers are blown, I'm bored and it is so easy to F.... with so many people on this forum. And of course the thought of digging a hole on egriz, or more the thought of attempting to fill it up got me laughing so hard I nearly spit out my coffee. 3 points:

1. Read my first post. My contention was that we could use bigger bodies and we ain't getting many from the West Coast so try something different. Agree or not but that is my position.

2. That's where certain posters who can't bear to hear a negative thought about Hauck and the Over the Hill Gang got out there knives with their bitchy little whines about not having the budget and that the current coaches not having mid-west contacts. Of course I overestimated several's posters logic, reading comprehension and arithmetic skills. Here PR, I'll turn it into a word problem: "A airline ticket to LA costs $250 and and ticket to Minneapolis costs $350. A coach would like to make 10 recruiting trips to Minneapolis. How much more would he pay for 10 tickets to Minneapolis than LA". Can you solve that one PR? Hint (10 x $350) - (10 x $250) = ??????? Haven't really checked into it but meals and lodging might be even cheaper than the West Coast if you head to some smaller mid-west towns. I guess the problem is some minds is whether the coaching staff could actually find their way around the mid-west but seemingly with Google Maps they shouldn't get lost too many times (well except for Baer).

3. Doing things the same old way, time after time, is not always effective. Change is good.

sdk.catfish said:
AZGrizFan » Tue May 21, 2019 10:46 pm

Catfish, the first rule of getting out of the massive hole you’ve dug for yourself is to put down the f***[*] shovel.

For the love of GOD, put down the shovel bro.

Cmon AZ - its raining out, rivers are blown, I'm bored and it is so easy to F.... with so many people on this forum. And of course the thought of digging a hole on egriz, or more the thought of attempting to fill it up got me laughing so hard I nearly spit out my coffee. 3 points:

1. Read my first post. My contention was that we could use bigger bodies and we ain't getting many from the West Coast so try something different. Agree or not but that is my position.

2. That's where certain posters who can't bear to hear a negative thought about Hauck and the Over the Hill Gang got out there knives with their bitchy little whines about not having the budget and that the current coaches not having mid-west contacts. Of course I overestimated several's posters logic, reading comprehension and arithmetic skills. Here PR, I'll turn it into a word problem: "A airline ticket to LA costs $250 and and ticket to Minneapolis costs $350. A coach would like to make 10 recruiting trips to Minneapolis. How much more would he pay for 10 tickets to Minneapolis than LA". Can you solve that one PR? Hint (10 x $350) - (10 x $250) = ??????? Haven't really checked into it but meals and lodging might be even cheaper than the West Coast if you head to some smaller mid-west towns. I guess the problem is some minds is whether the coaching staff could actually find their way around the mid-west but seemingly with Google Maps they shouldn't get lost too many times (well except for Baer).

3. Doing things the same old way, time after time, is not always effective. Change is good.

Point #3 is valid. I don’t agree that Hauck and his gang are over the hill. Really believe that is an overstatement and they have done a good job of recruiting overall. The problem with both lines did not happen overnight. Especially the o- line. That goes all the way back to Delaney and Stitt did not fix it. Would recruiting the Midwest help? Maybe. I think it would be tough to win there. Lots of options for players and they are closer proximity to home. I don’t think your suggestion was dumb or far fetched. Just might not yield high numbers.

Griz don't have big bodies on o-line? See below from current roster:

6'5, 336

6'7", 318

6'6", 335

6'6", 290

6'8", 287

6'4", 301

6'3", 291

6'6", 325

6'5", 324

6'5", 305

6'3", 315

6'7", 290

6'5", 284

6'7", 321

6'5", 295

9 over 300, 15 over 284, 13 over 290, 12 6'5" or over. By contrast, NDS has 8 over 300, and 10 290 and over.

And the sdfish thinks he isn't digging a whole.

PlayerRep said:
Griz don't have big bodies on o-line? See below from current roster:

6'5, 336

6'7", 318

6'6", 335

6'6", 290

6'8", 287

6'4", 301

6'3", 291

6'6", 325

6'5", 324

6'5", 305

6'3", 315

6'7", 290

6'5", 284

6'7", 321

6'5", 295

9 over 300, 15 over 284, 13 over 290, 12 6'5" or over. By contrast, NDS has 8 over 300, and 10 290 and over.

And the sdfish thinks he isn't digging a whole.

I was about to go looking for almost the same statistics... Someone fill the hole with him in it.

Catfish clearly has all the answers. I'd be curious to see a total recruiting plan laid out for each individual coach, or if that coach is incapable of recruiting the mid-west a possible replacement with a reason why, made by Catfish to go along with his incredible accounting.

OK drones, try this.
Go to https://ezlocal.com/tools/map-radius/

Center your map on Los Angeles and type in a 1200 mile radius. Do the same for Minneapolis. The first think to notice is that unless Hauck is recruiting Island people or Honduran or Guatemalan refuges there is a lot more area in the US to recruit from using Minneapolis as a hub. Next, draw the same radius from Missoula. Notice how much of the area in the midwest that is really no farther away from Missoula than LA. So I guess that unless mid-west boys are mama's boys and only want to cross the Red River, the distance argument is debunked as well (the money aspect is already irrelevant). The only real reason that I can conclude that the coaching staff isn't looking wider is that it just isn't the way they do things and that isn't in their comfort zone. Which is ok if you win. We are all waiting to see how that works out. There is a difference (PR) between having big bodies that knock people over and big bodies that get knocked over and tire out in the 4th quarter.

PlayerRep said:
The Hancock brothers and Chris Orwig came from Kansas. Under Hauck. Is Kansas not in the Midwest?

Hermansen was from South Dakota.

Hemphill is from Chicago.

Not in Midwest, but 2 from Oklahoma, Beaver from VA, Mamula from Philly.

McCauley Todd. Iowa.

sdk.catfish said:
OK drones, try this.

Center your map on Los Angeles and type in a 1200 mile radius. Do the same for Minneapolis. The first think to notice is that unless Hauck is recruiting Island people or Honduran or Guatemalan refuges there is a lot more area in the US to recruit from using Minneapolis as a hub. Next, draw the same radius from Missoula. Notice how much of the area in the midwest that is really no farther away from Missoula than LA. So I guess that unless mid-west boys are mama's boys and only want to cross the Red River, the distance argument is debunked as well (the money aspect is already irrelevant). The only real reason that I can conclude that the coaching staff isn't looking wider is that it just isn't the way they do things and that isn't in their comfort zone. Which is ok if you win. We are all waiting to see how that works out. There is a difference (PR) between having big bodies that knock people over and big bodies that get knocked over and tire out in the 4th quarter.

Again, a lot of recruiting is about where you have contacts. Also about critical mass of players...there’s more players in LA than in the entire state of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa combined (ok, I made that up, but you get the point).

The Midwest is farm country, so maybe more big strong young men than on the west coast. I don’t know the answer. We seem to have many big offensive linemen in the stable, but can they play? We know the performance of the OL the last few seasons hasn’t been stellar. Let’s hope they will be the strength of the team this year.

Spanky2 said:
The Midwest is farm country, so maybe more big strong young men than on the west coast. I don’t know the answer. We seem to have many big offensive linemen in the stable, but can they play? We know the performance of the OL the last few seasons hasn’t been stellar. Let’s hope they will be the strength of the team this year.

Hauck talked about and openly admitted that “farm”’kids and hog lineman are not as prevalent as they used to be. Especially in eastern Montana. I doubt the Midwest is much different given the disappearing act of family farms. Not sure your argument holds water as it pertains to farm kids. Population density and shear numbers would argue against your theory as well. Are you saying rural farm country has bigger and stronger athletes than populated west coast cities?

sdk.catfish said:
OK drones, try this.

Why don't you send that recruiting strategy to Hauck. He's probably never seen such an innovative strategy.

Can you run as fast as you can move the goalposts? First it was "undersized personnel". When that was shot down, then you started talking about other qualities. Why don't you just say that UM needs to recruit many more all-American quality players, and big ones, and that can be done for an extra $1,000 from Bodnar.

Do you understand the difference between one-way flights and roundtrip fights, and related cost? So, you think UM could recruit the Midwest for an extra $1,000? Did you ever take a business course?

So, now you are going to tell us how football is played? That's pretty funny. Did you even play in high school?

Note that some of Hauck's o-lines were some of the best ever in FCS football? Two first team all-Americans in one year, and they weren't even seniors.

by PlayerRep » Wed May 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Did you ever talk to business course?

I never talked "to" a business course although I took quite a few. Talking to a business coarse seems conter-productive. Talking bullshit is your game.

sdk.catfish said:
by PlayerRep » Wed May 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Did you ever take a business course?

I never talked "to" a business course although I took quite a few. Talking to a business coarse seems conter-productive. Talking bullshit is your game.

Nope, I talk football and facts. You talk stupid. I've thought you were an idiot for a longtime. Now, most of the rest of the board knows that.

Back