• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wazzu Transfer Mason Vinyard 6'5" 230lb Rush Linebacker

by grizghost » Sat May 18, 2019 7:35 pm

..Fargo is closer to Minnesota and Wisconsin especially if you want your family and friends to come
and watch you play..Missoula is out of the traveling hub...

So are you saying that the Griz can only expect real interest if the player's original home state is within 500 miles? I mean Montana is about 550 miles from east to west. It is approximately 1200 miles from LA to Missoula. It is approximately 1800 miles from Minneapolis to Missoula. We recruit the California area players all the time so apparently family and friends can come from there. Come on and give me a real reason why we can't recruit big bodied lineman from the mid-west. I'm not trying to be a hard-ass but in my opinion there needs to be some changes in recruitment philosophy or all the Bobby Hauck coaching experience advantage that is so often touted is negated because the player quality needed to get us back to championship level is currently unavailable.

krammer said:
agree he certainly looks the part.....the question is "why"....why does he feel the need to leave....is wsu loaded at d/e ?? welcome to the griz family Mason.
Does this help?

WASHINGTON STATE CAREER
RS-SOPHOMORE (2018): Member of the team...did not appear in a game.

RS-FRESHMAN (2017): Appeared in three games…made collegiate debut on defense in win over Boise State...first career tackle was a sack against Oregon State…appeared in win over Nevada.

FRESHMAN (2016): Redshirt season.

Choate and MSU brought in 6’5 240 lbs DE Bryce Stark from UW last year because he wasn’t getting playing time there. Similar size, similar situation here. Sterk worked out great for MSU and was even being considered from defensive POTY. I think this could be a similar fit for Vinyard. He appears even faster.

Post by kemajic » Sat May 18, 2019 8:41 pm
Does this help?

WASHINGTON STATE CAREER
RS-SOPHOMORE (2018): Member of the team...did not appear in a game.

RS-FRESHMAN (2017): Appeared in three games…made collegiate debut on defense in win over Boise State...first career tackle was a sack against Oregon State…appeared in win over Nevada.

FRESHMAN (2016): Redshirt season.

I'm not sure it is helpful at all. One might conclude his stock was going down at WSU from 17 to 18.

sdk.catfish said:
by grizghost » Sat May 18, 2019 7:35 pm

..Fargo is closer to Minnesota and Wisconsin especially if you want your family and friends to come
and watch you play..Missoula is out of the traveling hub...

So are you saying that the Griz can only expect real interest if the player's original home state is within 500 miles? I mean Montana is about 550 miles from east to west. It is approximately 1200 miles from LA to Missoula. It is approximately 1800 miles from Minneapolis to Missoula. We recruit the California area players all the time so apparently family and friends can come from there. Come on and give me a real reason why we can't recruit big bodied lineman from the mid-west. I'm not trying to be a hard-ass but in my opinion there needs to be some changes in recruitment philosophy or all the Bobby Hauck coaching experience advantage that is so often touted is negated because the player quality needed to get us back to championship level is currently unavailable.

..when you look at the Bison roster what other conclusion can you make..it is consider home turf
to those guys..I'm certainly not saying the Griz can't snatch a few but not year after year like the
Bison do would be tough..I'm certainly not saying the Griz shouldn't elevate their recruiting
strategy also..what worked before maybe doesn't work now..and l have always wonder why they
don't hit the Minnesota/Wisc..area too...but this is really Bobby's first year recruiting..
l think we'll get there..

He left the team before spring ball this spring. I saw an article from late last summer that indicated he had slipped on the depth chart prior to that. I think 3 rush linebackers, whatever that is, were listed prior to him.

sdk.catfish said:
Your data is so bad that it must be either hyperbole or narrative. By I-90/I-94 it's 700 miles across MT and it's 1180 miles from Missoula to Minneapolis. You're closer on the mileage from Missoula to LA, a bit over 1200 miles. One out of three isn't so hot.

But more on focus, what top prospect big-bodied lineman from the Midwest do you think are available after the Big Ten/Big 12/MAC/MVFC are finished? How many big-bodied lineman from the Midwest can you find on the PAC12/MWC/BSC rosters?

by kemajic » Sun May 19, 2019 8:38 pm

But more on focus, what top prospect big-bodied lineman from the Midwest do you think are available after the Big Ten/Big 12/MAC/MVFC are finished? How many big-bodied lineman from the Midwest can you find on the PAC12/MWC/BSC rosters?

Interesting Kem. I accept that I did the mileage in my head but technically if I-90 is 700 miles from west to east in Montana and Missoula is 120 or so in, then my 500 mile estimate of Missoula's location in relation to other Montana locations is not that far off and I'm 2 out of 3 - don't know how I got the Minneapolis mileage so far off as my daughter lives there.

But you can just accept that UM can't recruit from the Midwest or you can find a coaching staff who can. Currently, and for the past several years recruiting mainly in the West/Northwest has not brought the success that many UM fans want. While some will disagree, the days of recruiting primarily MT kids and building an national powerhouse are over. So you can continue in your old ways of thinking and keep hiring retread coaches from past glories or you can (try) to hire somebody who can recruit the talent no matter where it is. The SDSU connection is going to dry up soon. I have not been impressed with this year's recruitment from a variety of aspects including size and that opinion is my prerogative to express. If you feel differently then show me some Hauck coached championship seasons in the next couple of years with undersized personnel and I will become a believer.

When you only have so many dollars to spend on recruiting, it is prudent to spend them in the most productive way. Agreed? Are there potential recruits out there that don't get a good look? Probably.

sdk.catfish said:

Interesting Kem. I accept that I did the mileage in my head but technically if I-90 is 700 miles from west to east in Montana and Missoula is 120 or so in, then my 500 mile estimate of Missoula's location in relation to other Montana locations is not that far off and I'm 2 out of 3 - don't know how I got the Minneapolis mileage so far off as my daughter lives there.

But you can just accept that UM can't recruit from the Midwest or you can find a coaching staff who can. Currently, and for the past several years recruiting mainly in the West/Northwest has not brought the success that many UM fans want. While some will disagree, the days of recruiting primarily MT kids and building an national powerhouse are over. So you can continue in your old ways of thinking and keep hiring retread coaches from past glories or you can (try) to hire somebody who can recruit the talent no matter where it is. The SDSU connection is going to dry up soon. I have not been impressed with this year's recruitment from a variety of aspects including size and that opinion is my prerogative to express. If you feel differently then show me some Hauck coached championship seasons in the next couple of years with undersized personnel and I will become a believer.

You recruit where your coaches have a relationship.

NDSU has how many championships in how many years? Kind of makes it a little easier to recruit kids. I hate admitting that, but kids want to play where they have a shot at a championship and they feel they will get looked at by the NFL. Will they get that with the Griz? Yep - one of the two at least. I don’t think comparing the Griz to NDSU is the right thing to do at this juncture in time. Facilities sure, everything else is nonsense until Bobby gets the train back on its tracks. It would be great to get a few more drop downs that has some size. Crossing my fingers.

UM has never recruited the Midwest nor had any real connection with that part of the country. Why would they, all of a sudden, start now?

'68griz » Mon May 20, 2019 5:00 pm
UM has never recruited the Midwest nor had any real connection with that part of the country. Why would they, all of a sudden, start now?

Uh ........... 2018 6-5; 2017 6-5; 2016 7-4. No playoffs for the last 3 years. Losses to MSU the last 3 years.
That might be not good enough for you to suggest some changes but it is for me.

Your data is sbad that it must be either hyperbole or narrative. By I-90/I-94 it's 700 miles across MT and it's 1180 miles from Missoula to Minneapolis.

And as Kem's "geography lesson" pointed out I was wrong on mileage to Minneapolis but only strengthens my point ( I admit I made a mistake on the Minneapolis distance). With Kem's correction the mileage between Minneapolis and Missoula and LA and Missoula are virtually the same. So I guess we have a coaching staff that is only comfortable recruiting in its little area of comfort and we aren't making the playoffs or beating the Cats or the other upper echelon teams from the Big Sky (at this point we are no longer upper echelon in my opinioin). I guess if that is what you want then don't rock the boat. Personally I am rocking.

sdk.catfish said:

Uh ........... 2018 6-5; 2017 6-5; 2016 7-4. No playoffs for the last 3 years. Losses to MSU the last 3 years.

Your data is sbad that it must be either hyperbole or narrative. By I-90/I-94 it's 700 miles across MT and it's 1180 miles from Missoula to Minneapolis.

And as Kem's "geography lesson" pointed out I was wrong on mileage to Minneapolis but only strengthens my point ( I admit I made a mistake on the Minneapolis distance). With Kem's correction the mileage between Minneapolis and Missoula and LA and Missoula are virtually the same. So I guess we have a coaching staff that is only comfortable recruiting in its little area of comfort and we aren't making the playoffs or beating the Cats or the other upper echelon teams from the Big Sky (at this point we are no longer upper echelon in my opinioin). I guess if that is what you want then don't rock the boat. Personally I am rocking.

sdk.catfish said:

2 things I think about this argument. LA has higher talent than Minnesota and about the same number of schools recruiting the area.

I also think LA kids are more apt to leave the area than Minnesota kids.

grizindabox said:
sdk.catfish said:

You recruit where your coaches have a relationship.

Hey, maybe he wants Bobby to start cold calling coaches in the Midwest. :lol:

sdk.catfish said:

"We've been stuck in mediocrity for years solely because we don't recruit beefy farm boys from the Midwest" is a real galaxy-brain take. :lol:

Why not go one step further and concentrate all recruiting efforts on Texas and the Deep South? The largest number of the best college football players come from there, so why would we just settle for the Midwest?

Latest posts

Back