• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wazzu Transfer Mason Vinyard 6'5" 230lb Rush Linebacker

sdk.catfish said:
"And as Kem's "geography lesson" pointed out I was wrong..."

Inadvertently, I seem to have hit a nerve, like that dentist in my youth. :eek:
I'm just saying UM doesn't have an UNLIMITED recruiting budget, and those recruiting recruit where they are most effective, as pointed out by another poster. Recruiting destination is Missoula, not the Great Plains. I recall someone mentioning NDSU is closer to Minnesota than Montana, or some such thing. The bigger connection between NDSU and Minnesota.....is a BRIDGE over the Red River of the North! :lol: You recruit where you get the best bang for the buck. If you would just use your influence with Bodnar, the Griz Football recruiting budget would get the funding it needs to scoop those Minnesota-Wisconsin players before NDSU gets them. Hell, why stop there, dragnet the deep south and Texas, like uofmman1122 suggested, and bring them to Missoula. You know they'd jump at the chance. Screw the SEC and the others. Make the phone call or go see him NOW! :lol:

by tourist » Mon May 20, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm just saying UM doesn't have an UNLIMITED recruiting budget, and those recruiting recruit where they are most effective, as pointed out by another poster.

Yes, you are right Tourist. It is most effective to recruit in a limited area that results in 6-5 seasons. I just checked and a flight to LA is about $250 and a flight to Minneapolis is about $350. So it is hard to determine from your response, but are you asking me to ask Bodner for like an extra $1000 so the coaching staff can make 10 more trips to the Midwest instead of California? Wouldn't Hauck be more effective asking for it than me? Jeez there is some boneheadedness going on. I guess UM's world is limited to the West Coast and Montana because the current coaching staff just can't change a few things up or have no influence anywhere else. That is to be expected of an over the hill coaching staff. Hell, maybe PR would fork over the extra $1000 if it meant some bigger bodies? But no problem, if you are satisfied with 6-5 seasons and undersized recruits then go tailgate with the best of them and ignore the results of current recruiting methods.

Just a microcosm of what is going on here but yesterday was graduation day at church. At the particular service I went to there were 6 of about total 15 graduates. One was going to UM/Helena. One was going to UM. Four were going to MSU. I'm willing to entertain that the problem may not even the location of where UM is recruiting but more a problem of where and what they are attempting to recruit individuals to.

sdk.catfish said:
by tourist » Mon May 20, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm just saying UM doesn't have an UNLIMITED recruiting budget, and those recruiting recruit where they are most effective, as pointed out by another poster.

Yes, you are right Tourist. It is most effective to recruit in a limited area that results in 6-5 seasons. I just checked and a flight to LA is about $250 and a flight to Minneapolis is about $350. So it is hard to determine from your response, but are you asking me to ask Bodner for like an extra $1000 so the coaching staff can make 10 more trips to the Midwest instead of California? Wouldn't Hauck be more effective asking for it than me? Jeez there is some boneheadedness going on. I guess UM's world is limited to the West Coast and Montana because the current coaching staff just can't change a few things up or have no influence anywhere else. That is to be expected of an over the hill coaching staff. Hell, maybe PR would fork over the extra $1000 if it meant some bigger bodies? But no problem, if you are satisfied with 6-5 seasons and undersized recruits then go tailgate with the best of them and ignore the results of current recruiting methods.

Just a microcosm of what is going on here but yesterday was graduation day at church. At the particular service I went to there were 6 of about total 15 graduates. One was going to UM/Helena. One was going to UM. Four were going to MSU. I'm willing to entertain that the problem may not even the location of where UM is recruiting but more a problem of where and what they are attempting to recruit individuals to.

They have graduation day at church? What's post grad from church? Heaven?

How about an extra $100,000, sdk? No, I don't like 6-5 seasons. After Hauck left, late 2009, Pflu stumbled in his first year, and no playoffs. Unheard of before this time. Follow this with the Semifinals in WGS, and all seemed well. Six years later, Bobby came back to a shell of what was once the crown jewel of FCS. Six years of absolute stupidity will not be cured overnight. SIX YEARS !!!. Bobbys 2018 recruiting class was in FOURTH GRADE WHEN HE LEFT! A Griz would have been a stuffed toy at his bedside. Its start over time. Sniffing around the upper Midwest won't cure this problem. The 'over the hill' problem reflects what I suppose is your youth. Yeah, there is some 'boneheadedness' going on, but I would describe it more realistically as a NAIVETE' problem.

sdk.catfish said:
Uh ........... 2018 6-5; 2017 6-5; 2016 7-4. No playoffs for the last 3 years. Losses to MSU the last 3 years.
That might be not good enough for you to suggest some changes but it is for me.

And as Kem's "geography lesson" pointed out I was wrong on mileage to Minneapolis but only strengthens my point ( I admit I made a mistake on the Minneapolis distance). With Kem's correction the mileage between Minneapolis and Missoula and LA and Missoula are virtually the same. So I guess we have a coaching staff that is only comfortable recruiting in its little area of comfort and we aren't making the playoffs or beating the Cats or the other upper echelon teams from the Big Sky (at this point we are no longer upper echelon in my opinioin). I guess if that is what you want then don't rock the boat. Personally I am rocking.

Did I miss the post where people said that they were OK with the last 3 seasons? Are you sure that BH is not trying to make the program better? Are you demonstrating that you really have no idea about college recruiting? I think 1 of these is true....wanna guess?

'68griz said:
UM has never recruited the Midwest nor had any real connection with that part of the country. Why would they, all of a sudden, start now?
68, I think you are correct when talking about recent years. It isn’t correct that UM has never recruited the Midwest. UM had several recruits from Chicago in the 1930’s and I think Terry Dillon was from the Midwest.
Generally there isn’t anything wrong with Bobby recruiting in other areas as Catfish suggests. Bobby will return UM back to the top of the conference and FCS again, but it will take him time to get it done. We are fortunate to have him as our coach.

My view is the sdkcatfish is pretty much of a Griz football idiot. Much of what he says is just plain stupid.

And his math. 700 minus 120 equal's 500. Missoula is 120 miles from the Idaho border.

$350 to fly to the Midwest. $1,000 more from Bodnar will equal 10 flights to the Midwest.

:lol:
uofmman1122 said:
sdk.catfish said:
'68griz » Mon May 20, 2019 5:00 pm
UM has never recruited the Midwest nor had any real connection with that part of the country. Why would they, all of a sudden, start now?

Uh ........... 2018 6-5; 2017 6-5; 2016 7-4. No playoffs for the last 3 years. Losses to MSU the last 3 years.
That might be not good enough for you to suggest some changes but it is for me.
"We've been stuck in mediocrity for years solely because we don't recruit beefy farm boys from the Midwest" is a real galaxy-brain take. :lol:

Why not go one step further and concentrate all recruiting efforts on Texas and the Deep South? The largest number of the best college football players come from there, so why would we just settle for the Midwest?
:lol:

DuCharme said:
In the late 90’s, we had 5 Floridians on the roster.

I remember, and that was cool. I think it started when one kid watched the Griz beat Marshall for the NC -- and HE contacted the athletic department. That's different than outright recruiting there.

'68griz said:
DuCharme said:
In the late 90’s, we had 5 Floridians on the roster.

I remember, and that was cool. I think it started when one kid watched the Griz beat Marshall for the NC -- and HE contacted the athletic department. That's different than outright recruiting there.

That ‘95 team had 2 Floridians.

If recruiting the Midwest gets us more kids like Sammy Akem from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma I’d say let’s recruit the Midwest a lot!

HookedonGriz said:
If recruiting the Midwest gets us more kids like Sammy Akem from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma I’d say let’s recruit the Midwest a lot!

Other than the fact that the coaches with ties to the area are gone....great idea.

by grizindabox » Tue May 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Other than the fact that the coaches with ties to the area are gone....great idea.

Maybe we should get some coaches who have ties broader than the San Diego/West Coast area........ great idea? Naw, to radical for the Griz fans that are satisfied with the 6-5 status quo.

sdk.catfish said:
by grizindabox » Tue May 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Maybe we should get some coaches who have ties broader than the San Diego/West Coast area........ great idea? Naw, to radical for the Griz fans that are satisfied with the 6-5 status quo.

They had those coaches....who where sent packing for the current staff. Radical stuff.

Baer has coached all over, including Notre Dame. CJ Cox grew up in Texas. Nicholson played at Houston and coached there. Pease coached at Baylor, UTEP, Florida and Kentucky.

PlayerRep said:
Baer has coached all over, including Notre Dame. CJ Cox grew up in Texas. Nicholson played at Houston and coached there. Pease coached at Baylor, UTEP, Florida and Kentucky.

Catfish, the first rule of getting out of the massive hole you’ve dug for yourself is to put down the fucking shovel.

For the love of GOD, put down the shovel bro.

Latest posts

Back