• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM / College Transfer Portal

Did Toure' increase his draft stock by transferring? Could have been a record-breaking WR at UM but ended up as just a decent to good WR at P5 Nebraska.

behappp said:
Did Toure' increase his draft stock by transferring? Could have been a record-breaking WR at UM but ended up as just a decent to good WR at P5 Nebraska.
He was one of the best WRs in the Big 10 even on a hugely mediocre offense and had several breakout games against secondaries full of future NFL guys.

This isn't even a question. Yes, he increased his draft stock.

behappp said:
Good question.

Personally, from peeking at the draft boards now and then, I think he did. But the nay-sayers always toss out the notion for an FCS player ... Well, he piled up those numbers against crappy competition. Toure showed well against Big-10 defenses and that almost certainly helped him, IMO.

Move up FBS and eliminate the annual transfer portals that small farm league FCS schools will always be dealing with. Has to be a western conference that would like to have a school like Montana and their 26k every home game.

westsider said:
Move up FBS and eliminate the annual transfer portals that small farm league FCS schools will always be dealing with. Has to be a western conference that would like to have a school like Montana and their 26k every home game.
Except look at the P5 level right now. They’re not immune to this either. look at all the huge names transferring. Nobody’s immune to this.

I dont know what to think at this point. I was always of the belief that a college scholarship was quite the privilege given to those athletes (and scholars) that earned one. I was a bit appalled that students would ask for more. Especially with rise of cost of an education over the past 30 years or so those scholarships represent quite a bit of money. Four years of college is no small amount of money. This was in addition to the platform that college athletics gave these athletes to display their skill/talent to the next level. That also is a massive benefit that if not provided those athletes with next level talent would not be seen. I think the value of both of those benefits is underestimated because it is weighed against what the Universities/Colleges are gaining by marketing and selling the product that is college athletics which I know is massive for many schools. Most of those schools though have “earned it” by providing an elite platform through being successful programs that bring alot of attention and therefore marketing/money making power. The Alabama, Ohio States and many other big time schools are largely plug and play. I don’t buy that the quarterback who won the heisman this year changed things for Alabama financially. Alabama changed things financially for him. The point is these kids marketing value is they are the quarterback for Alabama, it doesn’t matter specifically who that quarterback is. The same goes for PAC-12 schools etc. they all have large fan bases who pay a lot of money for tickets, gear etc. They do that regardless of the name on the jerseys. So to me the real value has not been earned by individual players that are cashing in on their name and likeness. They are cashing in on being the quarterback of Oregon, Ohio State etc.

I can understand the “real cost of attendance” scholarships if being an athlete prevents athletes from being able to get a job and make extra money for leisure activities or other necessities that weren’t provided for by their scholarship.

I guess maybe we should just develop a league for athletes out of high school to develop and be seen where they can get paid and not have to go to college. I think with the ridiculous cost of a college education and the decline in its necessity/value there should be alot less people going to college. Why accrue that debt when it has become a real life altering problem to pay it off once entering the workforce? People are finding so many ways to make money now that don’t require a college education and I think more and more students who are choosing a college are doing so online. I am not sure the current college model will survive anyway. I apologize for the tangent/digression. Just some thoughts. Would like to hear others thoughts maybe someone can change my mind about how the NIL and portal are good things that won’t lead to the disintegration of the athletic landscape of all but the P5, G5 and a select number of other institutions who can offer more financial benefits than others.

On a smaller note do you all think the “real cost of attendance” scholarships have caused an imbalance at the FCS level. I don’t think the Montana schools offer these.

Griz til I die said:
westsider said:
Except look at the P5 level right now. They’re not immune to this either. look at all the huge names transferring. Nobody’s immune to this.
Yes, but few players will transfer to a FCS school. They will be able to transfer to a different FBS school.

Griz#64 said:
Anyone think this transfer rule has anything to do with the FCS schools moving up to FBS??

I’m learning about NIL and how some players are becoming wealthy. Not certain how it will impact FCS players, but it appears it is legal for a business to pay players directly.

Spanky2 said:
Griz til I die said:
Yes, but few players will transfer to a FCS school. They will be able to transfer to a different FBS school.
A rare (like maybe one in a thousand?) exception: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ders-steals-no-1-prospect-from-florida-state/

It's sad, in a way. The discussion spends more time on the implications for HBCU football than on FCS in general. The writer either doesn't know, or doesn't care that neither the SWAC nor the MEAC is competitive even at the FCS level ... even though they certainly have some outstanding individual athletes.

Edit: Sorry. Missed that Hooked had started a separate thread about this.

Spanky2 said:
Griz til I die said:
This isn't true. There aren't enough spots for every "just barely not good enough" FBS player to remain FBS. There will always be players transferring down because that's where necessity will push them. I think you won't see as many absolute studs that never should've left FBS drop down, but there is still going to be a steady stream of players coming into FCS rosters. Roster math will dictate that.

uofmman1122 said:
Spanky2 said:
This isn't true. There aren't enough spots for every "just barely not good enough" FBS player to remain FBS. There will always be players transferring down because that's where necessity will push them. I think you won't see as many absolute studs that never should've left FBS drop down, but there is still going to be a steady stream of players coming into FCS rosters. Roster math will dictate that.

How many 4 Star drop downs like Ochs do you anticipate getting?

Spanky2 said:
uofmman1122 said:

How many have they had before the changes other than Ochs?

Well. we are now in a period, kinda like a Cattle Auction. High Bidder gets the Beef. Coaches will become Fund raisers . The golden rule will prevail. Those with the Gold make the rules. Dig Deep Griz Backers...

Listening to the recruiting press conference, Coach Green said there are 6000 kids in the portal.....wow

Spanky2 said:
uofmman1122 said:

The WSU guy people are rumoring about is a 4-star, but using the only 4-star QB we've ever had doesn't exactly make your point. I can count on one hand the number of 4-star guys that have ever come here, so it's not like this change is putting that in jeopardy.

Back