• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Athletics Operated in Red Last Year

1. We need to sell beer at football games.
2. GSA needs to recruit new members.
3. Existing GSA members need to make sure we donate.
4. The sky isn't falling. Yet.

reinell30 said:
Maynardsgametrail said:
RABIDAWG said:
Basketball tickets are $7 for general admission.....ridiculous! Increase to $10 and corresponding increases for reserved seating.

I like the alcohol idea, and when pot is legalized, oh, never mind, bad idea.

$7 is the least amount they charge for weakest opponents on the schedule. They up the general admission cost to $11/$12 for higher stakes games like MSU, etc. Although it is getting far better (thanks to Decuire, Tinkle, and Larry K,) basketball has a hard enough time generating interest to sustain $10/ticket in General Admission to watch Montana Tech or Sacramento state......ISU.........NAU.......SUU. If anything, reduce price in the upper level reserved seats. IMO Those aren't worth what you pay for. I would rather slum it up in GA :thumb: :D

I don't see too many home game sold out. Lots of empty seats...$5 a ticket is better than an empty seat. Sell them a beer for $7 and you have a happy customer.

Woah Woah Woah! $7 dollar beers!? Sell em for $5 :lol: :lol: :lol:

reinell30 said:
I don't see too many home game sold out. Lots of empty seats...$5 a ticket is better than an empty seat. Sell them a beer for $7 and you have a happy customer.

What makes this so totally galling, is this is the home of the UM College of Business, which hands out Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral Degrees. You'd think someone, whether undergrad or graduate student, or, god forbid, faculty, would apply supply and demand to ticket sales. Lower the price, increase demand. Don't know how many hoops there would be to jump through for beer sales, but at least look into it. Beer in WGS might put some fire into the long bored fan base. Apply the Weber State principle for tailgaters: leave for the tailgates, you buy another ticket to get back in. If beer can be sold in the nosebleed sections of the Majestic region, provided in private boxes, or to that region in Dahlberg arena, sell it to the common folk down below. Enough double standard.

tourist said:
reinell30 said:

What makes this so totally galling, is this is the home of the UM College of Business, which hands out Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral Degrees. You'd think someone, whether undergrad or graduate student, or, god forbid, faculty, would apply supply and demand to ticket sales. Lower the price, increase demand. Don't know how many hoops there would be to jump through for beer sales, but at least look into it. Beer in WGS might put some fire into the long bored fan base. Apply the Weber State principle for tailgaters: leave for the tailgates, you buy another ticket to get back in. If beer can be sold in the nosebleed sections of the Majestic region, provided in private boxes, or to that region in Dahlberg arena, sell it to the common folk down below. Enough double standard.
Or just sell a halftime pass. $10 to leave at halftime and return. Go get your own beer.

tourist said:
reinell30 said:

The school doesn't care about the opinions of any of these people when it comes to its own policies.

Or, at least it hasn't in the last few years. Hopefully Bodnar is spearheading a change to that.

We can however, commit to a payment of $260,000 for Dixie St. to play in Missoula in 2027. We have four games coming up with them, three here. Those should be really tough tickets.

https://fbschedules.com/dixie-state-byu-colorado-state-plus-eight-more-future-schedules/

You're naïve to think that UM hasn't considered alcohol sales at sporting events. The liability risk outweighs any profits that could be generated from that. Assume you net $2 profit per beer sold and 25,000 attendants each buy 2 beers over 6 home games, you've only generated $300k in additional net income per year (this being generous). Consider the liability you assume by selling/serving alcohol and being at risk of a multi million dollar law suit. Doesn't seem worth it.

Sam A. Blitz said:
You're naïve to think that UM hasn't considered alcohol sales at sporting events. The liability risk outweighs any profits that could be generated from that. Assume you net $2 profit per beer sold and 25,000 attendants each buy 2 beers over 6 home games, you've only generated $300k in additional net income per year (this being generous). Consider the liability you assume by selling/serving alcohol and being at risk of a multi million dollar law suit. Doesn't seem worth it.
Hmmm. (25,000)(2)($2)(6) = $600,000. The liability, of course, would be covered by an insurance policy, cost unknown. But can't be that different from the Pubs. Most plans consider this with a one-way gate at halftime, which would likely result in more food concessions as well. But more bathrooms needed... Other BSC venues like PSU and UNC seem to have it managed when their income is but a fraction of what we could expect.

With Montana one of the states with leading alcoholism and suicide, along with auto disasters, I doubt beer at a UM game is a good idea.

GrizLA said:
With Montana one of the states with leading alcoholism and suicide, along with auto disasters, I doubt beer at a UM game is a good idea.

I see your point, but at the same time the Adams Center sells beer during concerts and other events, along with WGS.

GrizLA said:
Yeah, like there's very little drinking going on at games now. So you think it's better for fans to leave in the 2nd quarter to their tailgates, pound several beers and not return until late in the 3rd quarter. Lines at the beer concession and bathrooms would likely reduce consumption as long as they close off re-entry.

kemajic said:
Those should be really tough tickets.

https://fbschedules.com/dixie-state-byu-colorado-state-plus-eight-more-future-schedules/

Dry, subtle sarcasm, I assume, Kem. :thumb: I take it you won't be making the six hour drive from Columbus.

kemajic said:
GrizLA said:
Yeah, like there's very little drinking going on at games now. So you think it's better for fans to leave in the 2nd quarter to their tailgates, pound several beers and not return until late in the 3rd quarter. Lines at the beer concession and bathrooms would likely reduce consumption as long as they close off re-entry.

His post actually has nothing to do with beer sales in the stadium.

SmugLA likes to periodically come on here and remind us what a bunch of drunken barbarians Montanans are.

tourist said:
kemajic said:

Dry, subtle sarcasm, I assume, Kem. :thumb: I take it you won't be making the six hour drive from Columbus.
We do it in 4; we'll be there but will bet on a lot of no-shows and empty seats.

Raider said:
kemajic said:
GrizLA said:

His post actually has nothing to do with beer sales in the stadium.

SmugLA likes to periodically come on here and remind us what a bunch of drunken barbarians Montanans are.

Historically, Montana alcohol consumption has remained high. Huge state, boredom, long winters, sheep to tend. I'm a native, grew up with it, accept it for what it is. Prohibition didn't work, LA. The suicide rate may have increased slightly during the Delaney/Stitt years. Don't have any figures to baaaaack that up, though.

kemajic said:
tourist said:
kemajic said:

We do it in 4; we'll be there but will bet on a lot of no-shows and empty seats.

Agreed. Poor draw.
I made the 375 mile trip in 3 hr 45 min one time, with the help of some guy who didn't want to be passed. That included two stops, one to rent a soft drink, the other to set it free, Missoula traffic, and parking at Hellgate HS. I was a little early for the game.

griznative24 said:
GrizLA said:

I see your point, but at the same time the Adams Center sells beer during concerts and other events, along with WGS.

UM athletic/sponsored events, UM assumes liability....concerts and other events, promoter assumes liability.

Back