• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sterk Stats - Conference Only Stats

RobertoGato said:
He switched from Buck to essentially a 5 technique position, replacing Fa'anono, and then accrued 12 sacks, a year after leading the conference in that category.

He's a stud. He would be the best defensive player on the Grizzlies. I'm sorry that the "real 37" thing is in your heads, but it doesn't change reality.

Olson is way better than Sterk. Sterk has 5 sacks in co defense play. Half of which he got against the Griz. You are welcome to you social media stumbler.

PlayerRep said:
RobertoGato said:
He switched from Buck to essentially a 5 technique position, replacing Fa'anono, and then accrued 12 sacks, a year after leading the conference in that category.

He's a stud. He would be the best defensive player on the Grizzlies. I'm sorry that the "real 37" thing is in your heads, but it doesn't change reality.

Olson is way better than Sterk. Sterk has 5 sacks in co defense play. Half of which he got against the Griz. You are welcome to you social media stumbler.

If you love volume tackles, then sure. If you want impact plays that change games, Sterk is the easy choice.

It's funny though that wrecking the Grizzlies is somehow cast as a negative. Are you just not impressed by that level of competition?

RobertoGato said:
PlayerRep said:
RobertoGato said:

If you love volume tackles, then sure. If you want impact plays that change games, Sterk is the easy choice.

It's funny though that wrecking the Grizzlies is somehow cast as a negative. Are you just not impressed by that level of competition?

Sterk had a nice game against the Griz, but was a big nothing in terms of stats in many of the other conference games. Coming into the Griz game, he had 2.5 conference sacks. That's terrible. He had no sacks, TFL's and tackles in the Davis. Looks like he was a non-event in multiple conference games. Yes, I believe tackles, sacks, and TFL's are important for stand up d-ends. I assume Sterk is a good player, but he had a pathetic amount of conference production coming into the Griz game.

How can you even say that 2.5 sacks in 7 conference games is good, and that zero production/stats in some games is good?

RobertoGato said:
PlayerRep said:
RobertoGato said:

How many impact plays did Sterk have in the Davis game?

PlayerRep said:
Walkon79 said:
PlayerRep said:
Walkon79 said:
And second team all conference is just BS IMO. Might not like his social media but he's a hell of a player and has a good chance of playing on Sundays.

With his very low conf stats, I am not sure he deserved second team. I wonder if his reputation got him the votes for second team. For example, why would the Davis coach vote for him. He had no tackles and no sacks in that game. No stats for anything.

Yeah but he had more sacks and tackles for loss THIS YEAR than the Weber kid has had in his whole career. Colter agrees that this was bogus, and for the kid to be named Co-MVP is ridiculous.

Sterk may be a very good player and a good NFL prospect, but his conference only stats this season were pretty weak and he’s lucky to have gotten second team all conference. After getting no tackles or sacks against Davis, do you think the Davis coach voted for him to be defensive MVP or first team all conference?
So 3 and a half sacks against your vaunted Griz O with 3 all conference lineman wasn't impressive? You profess to know so much? Ask Colter why he thinks Bryce got screwed. I trust his knowledge more than yours. He actually watched the Cats every week. Did you?

Walkon79 said:
PlayerRep said:
Walkon79 said:
PlayerRep said:
With his very low conf stats, I am not sure he deserved second team. I wonder if his reputation got him the votes for second team. For example, why would the Davis coach vote for him. He had no tackles and no sacks in that game. No stats for anything.

Yeah but he had more sacks and tackles for loss THIS YEAR than the Weber kid has had in his whole career. Colter agrees that this was bogus, and for the kid to be named Co-MVP is ridiculous.

Sterk may be a very good player and a good NFL prospect, but his conference only stats this season were pretty weak and he’s lucky to have gotten second team all conference. After getting no tackles or sacks against Davis, do you think the Davis coach voted for him to be defensive MVP or first team all conference?
So 3 and a half sacks against your vaunted Griz O with 3 all conference lineman wasn't impressive? You profess to know so much? Ask Colter why he thinks Bryce got screwed. I trust his knowledge more than yours. He actually watched the Cats every week. Did you?

2.5 sacks against Griz. Not 3. 2.5 sacks in prior 7 games. Please don’t tell me that you think 2.5 sacks in 7 games is good, or that 5 sacks in 8 games is special.

Huh?

Against Davis, Rice had 3 solo tackles, 1 forced fumble and 1 fumble recovery. McGourin had 2 solo tackles, 2 TFL, and 1 sack.

What are you talking about?

The only people who don't think that Sterk deserved to be 1st team are a handful of Griz fans who are upset about the "real #37" gag. He's the best DE in the BSC. There's quite a bit of ignorance about the position he played too. He wasn't playing way outside and pinning his ears back. He was playing through the blocker and the Cats were regularly using three man rushes and flooding passing zones, meaning he got a ton of attention.

Tyrone Fa'anono was a total beast at that position, and yet Sterk replaced him and was an immediate, big upgrade.

C'mon PR. Sterk is a very good DE. You're cherry picking stats to try say he isn't that good. Sterk has 7.0 TFL and 4.5 sacks against us the past two years. If he's not that good, then our OL must be pretty bad.

getgrizzy said:
C'mon PR. Sterk is a very good DE. You're cherry picking stats to try say he isn't that good. Sterk has 7.0 TFL and 4.5 sacks against us the past two years. If he's not that good, then our OL must be pretty bad.

Dude is never wrong, and don't we all know it :D

PlayerRep said:
How can he be so unproductive in conference play? Is he hurt?

Just because his stats are down, doesn't mean he's not playing well. There is no stat for tackle for no gain or less than a 2 yard gain, etc. He may have had a lot of those during that stretch. He may also be getting double-teamed due to his success. You'll notice other MSU players getting sacks/TFL during that span, so maybe those players are getting that due to the extra attention that Sterk gets.

getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
How can he be so unproductive in conference play? Is he hurt?

Just because his stats are down, doesn't mean he's not playing well. There is no stat for tackle for no gain or less than a 2 yard gain, etc. He may have had a lot of those during that stretch. He may also be getting double-teamed due to his success. You'll notice other MSU players getting sacks/TFL during that span, so maybe those players are getting that due to the extra attention that Sterk gets.

Yes, there is a stat for that; it's called "tackle". Every good player gets double-teamed at times. It's part of the the game. It's not possible to double team someone at his position every play. If he had such an awesome season, why wasn't he defensive MVP or co-defensive MVP.

Sterk had 27 tackles in conference play, or a bit over 3 per game. He had 29 in the 4 non-conference games, as well as good TFL and sack stats. My basic premise has been why were Sterk's stats for weak in the conference schedule. In the Griz game, they were good.

I have never said he wasn't a good player, or NFL prospect. I actually don't know, but I believe what Cat fans and others say about those things.

Another question I have is why did he only play something like 6 games last year, or start 6 games? I read something like that.

getgrizzy said:

When did I ever say he wasn't good?

How can you say that using the entire conference season of stats is cherry-picking?

PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:

How can you say that using the entire conference season of stats is cherry-picking?

It's interesting going back and looking at the season stats. Sterk was great the first part of the year when Troy Andersen and Amandre Williams (the other UW transfer DE/LB) pretty quiet. Toward the middle/end of the year Andersen (1st team BSC linebacker) and Williams really started to come on strong and Sterk's stats dropped during those games....that is until the UM game were both Sterk and Williams had big games and Troy didn't play.

RobertoGato said:
The only people who don't think that Sterk deserved to be 1st team are a handful of Griz fans who are upset about the "real #37" gag. He's the best DE in the BSC. There's quite a bit of ignorance about the position he played too. He wasn't playing way outside and pinning his ears back. He was playing through the blocker and the Cats were regularly using three man rushes and flooding passing zones, meaning he got a ton of attention.

Tyrone Fa'anono was a total beast at that position, and yet Sterk replaced him and was an immediate, big upgrade.

If Sterk is the best d-end in the conference, why did the coaches select Obinna of SS as the defensive MVP and first team all-conference (for the 2d year in a row)?

Some of you Cat fans are delusional over Sterk. You don't accept realistic. Pretty funny. Shows how biased you are.

wbtfg said:
PlayerRep said:
getgrizzy said:

It's interesting going back and looking at the season stats. Sterk was great the first part of the year when Troy Andersen and Amandre Williams (the other UW transfer DE/LB) pretty quiet. Toward the middle/end of the year Andersen (1st team BSC linebacker) and Williams really started to come on strong and Sterk's stats dropped during those games....that is until the UM game were both Sterk and Williams had big games and Troy didn't play.

I believe Sterk's stats were better for the 4 non-conference games than the conference games. From recollection, sacks, TFL and tackles.

After pages and dozens of posts, at least you have admitted that what I was saying all along was right. And note that I was saying it before the last game. While he had good stats against the Griz, even that didn't make his conference season stats good.

I don't know why so many posters just want to disagree with anything I say, even to the extent of making themselves look stupid. Note that I actually asked this as a question initially? Why such low conference stats? I didn't declare he wasn't a good player. Don't why more wouldn't have looked at my initial post or two, done some brief research, and then come back with: you're right, interesting, don't know why, he's still a very good player and NFL prospect. He's a terrific player, but you may be right that he won't get defensive MVP or first team all-conference. That could have saved a lot of posts.

One of my favorites was the claim, not necessarily from a Cat fan, that using the full non-conference stats, especially when discussing all-conference selections, is "cherry-picking".

PlayerRep said:
RobertoGato said:

If Sterk is the best d-end in the conference, why did the coaches select Obinna of SS as the defensive MVP and first team all-conference (for the 2d year in a row)?

Some of you Cat fans are delusional over Sterk. You don't accept realistic. Pretty funny. Shows how biased you are.

Because he was the best defensive player on the best team.

I assume then that you necessarily feel that they get all these calls correct? Dalton Sneed is perfectly placed as an HM? I'm sure...

On the whole, the Cat D was very good year. After the first half of the NAU and after garbage time is pulled out, I'd venture to say the Cat D was exceptional from that point forward. Anybody that has played the game, or at least has a good understanding of the game, will easily recognize Sterk's substantial and continuous contribution to the dominating defensive play. Stats are for losers.

RobertoGato said:
PlayerRep said:
RobertoGato said:

Because he was the best defensive player on the best team.

I assume then that you necessarily feel that they get all these calls correct? Dalton Sneed is perfectly placed as an HM? I'm sure...

Haha. Good joke. TA is the best defensive player, in my view. Best team. haha again.'

I can understand Sneed's situation. When you don't play against teams and when you come back limping and without mobility, you are not going to get votes. He was in the running for offensive MVP until he got hurt. Then, he probably fell to mention. I get that.

Why can't you accept that Sterk had weak conference stats, and other players were much more deserving of defensive MVP? Because you are too biased. Probably don't understand the game either.

Latest posts

Back