• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sterk Stats - Conference Only Stats

I'm a Bobcat fan, but I think "the Real #37" thing that Sterk did this year was stupid and borderline disrespectful. The importance of #37 to the Grizzlies is obvious, given the fact that MSU has decided to emulate the practice with the #41. Had Sterk been from Montana, the "joke" might have been slightly more tolerable.

All, that being said, Sterk is a hell of a football player and - as was mentioned earlier in this thread - the numbers do not tell the whole story. He carried that MSU defense in the early part of the season, especially as Troy Anderson learned how to play LB at the FCS level on the fly. Moreover, the Bobcat defense didn't just have him pinning his ears back this year. He played excellent run defense and - at times - dropped back into coverage. Had the Bobcats had a reliable 2nd option rushing the passer this year (Anderson emerged late and Amandre Williams emerged just last week), I think Sterk's sack total would have been significantly higher in conference play. Instead, he faced a near constant double team in all passing situations. Draft Scout currently has him as the #20 overall DE in the draft (Dante Olson is the #16 overall ILB, for reference), so he'll likely be playing on Sundays in the not to distant future, assuming he continues to improve.

Speaking of Olson, I'm in awe of the game he played on Saturday. He was the best football player on the field. I think he makes an instant impact in the NFL on special teams at the bare minimum. That man knows how to shed blocks and make tackles.

coochorama42 said:
I'm a Bobcat fan, but I think "the Real #37" thing that Sterk did this year was stupid and borderline disrespectful. The importance of #37 to the Grizzlies is obvious, given the fact that MSU has decided to emulate the practice with the #41. Had Sterk been from Montana, the "joke" might have been slightly more tolerable.

All, that being said, Sterk is a hell of a football player and - as was mentioned earlier in this thread - the numbers do not tell the whole story. He carried that MSU defense in the early part of the season, especially as Troy Anderson learned how to play LB at the FCS level on the fly. Moreover, the Bobcat defense didn't just have him pinning his ears back this year. He played excellent run defense and - at times - dropped back into coverage. Had the Bobcats had a reliable 2nd option rushing the passer this year (Anderson emerged late and Amandre Williams emerged just last week), I think Sterk's sack total would have been significantly higher in conference play. Instead, he faced a near constant double team in all passing situations. Draft Scout currently has him as the #20 overall DE in the draft (Dante Olson is the #16 overall ILB, for reference), so he'll likely be playing on Sundays in the not to distant future, assuming he continues to improve.

Speaking of Olson, I'm in awe of the game he played on Saturday. He was the best football player on the field. I think he makes an instant impact in the NFL on special teams at the bare minimum. That man knows how to shed blocks and make tackles.

Thx. I have no doubt that Sterk is a good player, but I had noticed a week ago that he had pathetic conference only stats, and had zero stats in the game a week ago. I noticed that he had been listed as starting every game. I also know he had terrific stats in pre-season. I had asked whether he had been hurt, or what was up.

Olson has the most tackles in FCS again this year. Is close to 2 guys, from Dayton and Presbyterian, in tackles per game.

coochorama42 said:

All, that being said, Sterk is a hell of a football player and - as was mentioned earlier in this thread - the numbers do not tell the whole story. He carried that MSU defense in the early part of the season, especially as Troy Anderson learned how to play LB at the FCS level on the fly. Moreover, the Bobcat defense didn't just have him pinning his ears back this year. He played excellent run defense and - at times - dropped back into coverage.

What does that mean?

CatzWillRise said:
My favorite Sterk stat.

https://twitter.com/tehbryceisright/status/1198425603210268673?s=21

What this and the best 37 thing says to me, is that Sterk may be a bit of a jerk. That's okay, but most of the good Cat players I've met over the years have been very nice.

PlayerRep said:
coochorama42 said:

Thx. I have no doubt that Sterk is a good player, but I had noticed a week ago that he had pathetic conference only stats, and had zero stats in the game a week ago. I noticed that he had been listed as starting every game. I also know he had terrific stats in pre-season. I had asked whether he had been hurt, or what was up.

Olson has the most tackles in FCS again this year. Is close to 2 guys, from Dayton and Presbyterian, in tackles per game.

MSU also didn't blitz at all against Sac. This was by design because the coaching staff said Thomson would have feasted hard. That certainly didn't do Sterk favors in racking up awards numbers. It might not have even mattered, but it's worth mentioning since the topic of this thread are his conference stats.

Cledus said:
PlayerRep said:
coochorama42 said:

MSU also didn't blitz at all against Sac. This was by design because the coaching staff said Thomson would have feasted hard. That certainly didn't do Sterk favors in racking up awards numbers. It might not have even mattered, but it's worth mentioning since the topic of this thread are his conference stats.

MSU had sacks against NAU and Davis too.

CatzWillRise said:
My favorite Sterk stat.

Can anyone imagine Dante Olson putting this on social media?

Ursa Major said:
CatzWillRise said:
My favorite Sterk stat.

Guess we’ll never know...

I can’t imagine Derek Marks writing FTG on his arms for everyone to see either. :lol:

Almost no one can see what a player writes on his arm.

Lots of people see what players put on social media, especially if it then gets on the internet.

ilovethecats said:
Ursa Major said:
CatzWillRise said:
My favorite Sterk stat.

I can’t imagine Derek Marks writing FTG on his arms for everyone to see either. :lol:

We know. Olson wouldn't do that.

ilovethecats said:
Ursa Major said:
CatzWillRise said:
My favorite Sterk stat.

I can imagine Kem doing it right before he kicked you square in the ass.

Ursa Major said:
CatzWillRise said:
My favorite Sterk stat.

Absolutely not.

But if he were to do it, I can guarantee he would use the correct verb tense, unlike the mouth breather above.

#msuedumacation

PlayerRep said:

Lots of people see what players put on social media, especially if it then gets on the internet.

I guess for some people. I don’t do much social media so don’t see much.

Just curious, what in his tweet is either untrue or derogatory?

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

I guess for some people. I don’t do much social media so don’t see much.

Just curious, what in his tweet is either untrue or derogatory?

Sterk didn't play against UM in 2017. He doesn't have any stats for the entire year either. So, there's that. And how did "I" beat the Griz in Seattle?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/washington.sidearmsports.com/documents/2017/9/9/montwash.pdf

From his MSU bio:

"Washington (2017) No game action. (2016) Played in a win over Rutgers, registering two tackles and a fumble recovery... also played against Idaho. (2015) Redshirted... won the team’s Ultimate Dirt Dawg Award for his weight room work."

So, he can't write a sentence, he told a lie, and his social media posts are obnoxious. That's all. You Cats are welcome to that guy.

Back