• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sterk Stats - Conference Only Stats

PlayerRep said:
RobertoGato said:
PlayerRep said:
RobertoGato said:
The only people who don't think that Sterk deserved to be 1st team are a handful of Griz fans who are upset about the "real #37" gag. He's the best DE in the BSC. There's quite a bit of ignorance about the position he played too. He wasn't playing way outside and pinning his ears back. He was playing through the blocker and the Cats were regularly using three man rushes and flooding passing zones, meaning he got a ton of attention.

Tyrone Fa'anono was a total beast at that position, and yet Sterk replaced him and was an immediate, big upgrade.

If Sterk is the best d-end in the conference, why did the coaches select Obinna of SS as the defensive MVP and first team all-conference (for the 2d year in a row)?

Some of you Cat fans are delusional over Sterk. You don't accept realistic. Pretty funny. Shows how biased you are.

Because he was the best defensive player on the best team.

I assume then that you necessarily feel that they get all these calls correct? Dalton Sneed is perfectly placed as an HM? I'm sure...

Haha. Good joke. TA is the best defensive player, in my view. Best team. haha again.'

I can understand Sneed's situation. When you don't play against teams and when you come back limping and without mobility, you are not going to get votes. He was in the running for offensive MVP until he got hurt. Then, he probably fell to mention. I get that.

Why can't you accept that Sterk had weak conference stats, and other players were much more deserving of defensive MVP? Because you are too biased. Probably don't understand the game either.

Sneed was the first or second best QB in the conference. Honorable Mention for him is a joke. I probably feel this way because of my crippling bias, that you have so expertly diagnosed.

Why can't you accept that Sterk was a deserving first team player? Because he hurt your feelings.

RobertoGato said:
PlayerRep said:
RobertoGato said:
PlayerRep said:
If Sterk is the best d-end in the conference, why did the coaches select Obinna of SS as the defensive MVP and first team all-conference (for the 2d year in a row)?

Some of you Cat fans are delusional over Sterk. You don't accept realistic. Pretty funny. Shows how biased you are.

Because he was the best defensive player on the best team.

I assume then that you necessarily feel that they get all these calls correct? Dalton Sneed is perfectly placed as an HM? I'm sure...

Haha. Good joke. TA is the best defensive player, in my view. Best team. haha again.'

I can understand Sneed's situation. When you don't play against teams and when you come back limping and without mobility, you are not going to get votes. He was in the running for offensive MVP until he got hurt. Then, he probably fell to mention. I get that.

Why can't you accept that Sterk had weak conference stats, and other players were much more deserving of defensive MVP? Because you are too biased. Probably don't understand the game either.

Sneed was the first or second best QB in the conference. Honorable Mention for him is a joke. I probably feel this way because of my crippling bias, that you have so expertly diagnosed.

Why can't you accept that Sterk was a deserving first team player? Because he hurt your feelings.

My view is that Sterk didn’t deserve defensive mvp and that he did have any conference stats and production to get first team all conference.

Sneed was great early in season, but others earned first and second team all conference given how Sneed’s season went.

PlayerRep said:
Sterk had 2 tackles (1 solo and 1 assist), no TFL, no sacks, against AP. He's a big time player.

How many pressures did he have? Seemed like he was living in the AP backfield. You also failed to mention his fumble recovery. Seems as though if someone had played the game before, they might realize a player can affect the play without getting the tackle (or stat).

MTCowpoke said:
PlayerRep said:
Sterk had 2 tackles (1 solo and 1 assist), no TFL, no sacks, against AP. He's a big time player.

How many pressures did he have? Seemed like he was living in the AP backfield. You also failed to mention his fumble recovery. Seems as though if someone had played the game before, they might realize a player can affect the play without getting the tackle (or stat).

In the stats, he was credited for no pressures. 2 tackles for a supposed great d-end is pathetic.

PlayerRep said:
MTCowpoke said:
PlayerRep said:

In the stats, he was credited for no pressures. 2 tackles for a supposed great d-end is pathetic.

Clearly you didn't watch the game because had you done so, you would stop with your drivel about pathetic play from him. He had 2 passes blocked and multiple QB pressures resulting in TFL's by the D front. Derek Marks is feasting because of Sterk and Williams, and the same is said for each. The D Line plays as a UNIT...but then again, not knowing what to look for on the defensive side of the ball can be confusing!

Catsrback76 said:
PlayerRep said:
MTCowpoke said:
PlayerRep said:

Clearly you didn't watch the game because had you done so, you would stop with your drivel about pathetic play from him. He had 2 passes blocked and multiple QB pressures resulting in TFL's by the D front. Derek Marks is feasting because of Sterk and Williams, and the same is said for each. The D Line plays as a UNIT...but then again, not knowing what to look for on the defensive side of the ball can be confusing!

I watched the first 2 hours of the game. I didn't notice him doing hardly anything. I can't believe how many of you keep making excuses for a player that often gets almost no stats.

PlayerRep said:
Catsrback76 said:
PlayerRep said:
MTCowpoke said:

I watched the first 2 hours of the game. I didn't notice him doing hardly anything. I can't believe how many of you keep making excuses for a player that often gets almost no stats.

The third play of the game he batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage on third down. Stats can be deceiving and a lot of it has to do with the style of defense you play and how the official scorers consider tackles.

A good example is our game vs Weber and MSU vs Peay. Weber ran 59 plays, Peay ran 57. We had 67 tackles, MSU had 39. Olson was our leading tackler with 14, some dude I’ve never heard of (O’Reilly) led MSU with 6. Yet MSU had 10 TFL and 4 sacks; we had just 6 TFL and one sack. We had 3 PBU, they had 6.

For the season we have 3 of the top 7 tacklers. MSU’s top tackler is 34th. But MSU has 3 of the top five in TFL, and it’d be four if Andersen was playing. We have 2 in the top 20.

Olson has 11 TFL out of 179 tackles; Andersen had 11.5 TFL out of 54 tackles.

Two different teams, two different schemes, two different statistical summations.

getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
Catsrback76 said:
PlayerRep said:

The third play of the game he batted down a pass at the line of scrimmage on third down. Stats can be deceiving and a lot of it has to do with the style of defense you play and how the official scorers consider tackles.

A good example is our game vs Weber and MSU vs Peay. Weber ran 59 plays, Peay ran 57. We had 67 tackles, MSU had 39. Olson was our leading tackler with 14, some dude I’ve never heard of (O’Reilly) led MSU with 6. Yet MSU had 10 TFL and 4 sacks; we had just 6 TFL and one sack. We had 3 PBU, they had 6.

For the season we have 3 of the top 7 tacklers. MSU’s top tackler is 34th. But MSU has 3 of the top five in TFL, and it’d be four if Andersen was playing. We have 2 in the top 20.

Two different teams, two different schemes, two different statistical summations.

Another example, is the Monmouth game. We had 90 tackles that game! That's a lot of tackles!

Box score has them down for 50 pass attempts, and 33 runs. 83 total plays. They had 2 TD passes, and 2 picks. Also had 4 kick returns. So we stay at 83 plays where a tackle was possible. QB was 34/50. He had 16 incompletions. Can't get a tackle on an incompletion. 67 plays where a tackle was possible. I'd imagine some of those, the offensive player went out of bounds...it's been long enough I don't remember. But still, at max, 67 plays where a tackle was possible...and we ended up with 90 tackles. That's A LOT of assisted tackles.

I've never seen a team count as many assisted tackles as this one does. It's not a big deal, doesn't change anything. I just think people should remember that when comparing stats.

PlayerRep said:
Catsrback76 said:
PlayerRep said:
MTCowpoke said:

Huh? So he must have been doing a lot during those first two hours? English class?

Well he got 2nd team All-American on Hero Sports, so he must be alright. But keep in mind places like, oh any national publication are going to look at their entire body of work, which did include non-conference games.

In the end, individual stats are completely meaningless. MSU's defensive scheme combined with Choate's philosophy of subbing all over the field is not going to lend itself to any one big individual stat. Just to play along I'll use conference only stats.

Defensive Team Stats:
The Cats had the #1 scoring defense, #1 total defense, #2 rushing defense, #4 passing defense, #4 pass efficiency defense, #4 sacks by, #4 3rd down defense, #3 opponent 1st downs, #2 red zone defense. I mean top 4 in nearly every single defensive statistical category.

Individaul Stats:
Not a single player in the top 20 in total tackles, but 3 players in the top 9 for TFL. 2 players in the top 5 for sacks. 2 in the top 9 for passes defended. The only stat a Bobcat defender leads the conference-only stats in is TFL, which is Amandre Williams. If you just glanced at every category for individual leaders, there's no way you would think MSU has arguably the best defense in the conference.

There were also 3 games this year where the starters were pulled in the 2nd half at some point.

Lots of award-winning, high stat players sitting on their couches watching guys like Sterk, Rovig, Jake Constantine, play in a game for a trip to the national championship.

I know this argument isn't for who plays on a better team or who fits in their scheme the best, but my entire point is that Sterk is better than his stats indicate, and no Bobcat is going to care that Obinna is MVP over Sterk, or that Olson has more tackles. It just likely isn't going to happen with the way MSU is built. But we're still playing football, and that's the most important thing.

getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:
Catsrback76 said:
PlayerRep said:

I agree with some of this, but this still doesn't mean the Sterk gets enough statistical production to support how wonderful some Cat posters think he is. This was glaring during most of the conference season.

As I assume you know, players on the edge tend to get TFL's, not inside backers and nose tackles. Edge people also tend to get more sacks.

CatzWillRise said:
Well he got 2nd team All-American on Hero Sports, so he must be alright. But keep in mind places like, oh any national publication are going to look at their entire body of work, which did include non-conference games.

In the end, individual stats are completely meaningless. MSU's defensive scheme combined with Choate's philosophy of subbing all over the field is not going to lend itself to any one big individual stat. Just to play along I'll use conference only stats.

Defensive Team Stats:
The Cats had the #1 scoring defense, #1 total defense, #2 rushing defense, #4 passing defense, #4 pass efficiency defense, #4 sacks by, #4 3rd down defense, #3 opponent 1st downs, #2 red zone defense. I mean top 4 in nearly every single defensive statistical category.

Individaul Stats:
Not a single player in the top 20 in total tackles, but 3 players in the top 9 for TFL. 2 players in the top 5 for sacks. 2 in the top 9 for passes defended. The only stat a Bobcat defender leads the conference-only stats in is TFL, which is Amandre Williams. If you just glanced at every category for individual leaders, there's no way you would think MSU has arguably the best defense in the conference.

There were also 3 games this year where the starters were pulled in the 2nd half at some point.

Lots of award-winning, high stat players sitting on their couches watching guys like Sterk, Rovig, Jake Constantine, play in a game for a trip to the national championship.

I know this argument isn't for who plays on a better team or who fits in their scheme the best, but my entire point is that Sterk is better than his stats indicate, and no Bobcat is going to care that Obinna is MVP over Sterk, or that Olson has more tackles. It just likely isn't going to happen with the way MSU is built. But we're still playing football, and that's the most important thing.

Hero is not exactly the top of the line for football analysis.

Sorry, but individual stats are meaningful. Your comment was dumb.

You missed the point on conference stats. For all-American status, the all of the stats are looked at. Sterk had very good early season non-conference stats. Those 4 games were as good or better than his 8 conference games. That was my point all along.

I had noticed and then asked why Sterk had had such weak conference stats coming into the Griz game, compared with his very good stats in the 4 non-conference games. You and others provided some of the dumbest responses I've ever seen.

"It's the scheme." You mean the scheme gets him very good stats in the first 4 games of the season, and then weak stats in conference play?

"His worth doesn't show in the stats." You mean it doesn't show in conference play, and sometimes he has zero recorded defensive stats, but it magically shows in non-conference games at the beginning of the season?

"He didn't get conference MVP and didn't get first team all-conference, but he got second team Hero all-American." Does that mean that the couple Hero people who follow FCS, who never saw him play in person and didn't see him play much, know more than the conference coaches he played and schemed against him and saw considerable tape on him?

"I guess you didn't say that he wasn't a good player, PR, and all you asked was why his conference stats were so weak overall, but we are still going to disagree with you. He would have had better stats if they had kept track of all the good things we claim we saw him doing."

"Even if you are about the only Griz poster who acknowledged all along that the Cats had the potential to be good and kept winning most games, and Choate was a good coach and doing a good job with the program, we still don't like you because you sometimes point out fact-based negative things in our program."

Look, we all know there absolutely no arguing with you, and if you try you are more than likely to be insulted (and even the sources with data to back you up will also be insulted), but I was curious enough to dig through the stats for my own information. They bore out what I thought, that the sum is greater than the parts on the Bobcat defense.

And I will stand by my dumb statement, the scheme employed by the MSU defense changes weekly based on our opponent, the Cats have a bunch of different personnel packages, and the defense is not designed to flow to any one player or position like the Griz defense is (linebackers). That's why you will see some players have a huge game only to be non-existent the next week. On top of that the coaching staff has made adjustments as the year has gone on.

Individual stats aren't as meaningful as team stats. How else do you describe the fact that the Bobcats had the #1 scoring defense in conference but only had 2 players in the top 50 for tackles (22nd (Troy) and 24th)?

I doubt Dante Olsen would have more than 70 tackles on the Bobcat defense. (70 would be 23 more than the leading Bobcat tackler FYI).

Anyways, the best part of this thread is the Karma angle. Calling out a player, who goes on to sack Sneed 2.5 times, which is as many as Sterk had in his last 7 games combined, is delicious.

CatzWillRise said:
Anyways, the best part of this thread is the Karma angle. Calling out a player, who goes on to sack Sneed 2.5 times, which is as many as Sterk had in his last 7 games combined, is delicious.

Pointing out publicly available stats is calling someone out? Oh, really.

But thanks for making my point. Sterk got almost no stats for most of the conference season.

CatzWillRise said:
Look, we all know there absolutely no arguing with you, and if you try you are more than likely to be insulted (and even the sources with data to back you up will also be insulted), but I was curious enough to dig through the stats for my own information. They bore out what I thought, that the sum is greater than the parts on the Bobcat defense.

And I will stand by my dumb statement, the scheme employed by the MSU defense changes weekly based on our opponent, the Cats have a bunch of different personnel packages, and the defense is not designed to flow to any one player or position like the Griz defense is (linebackers). That's why you will see some players have a huge game only to be non-existent the next week. On top of that the coaching staff has made adjustments as the year has gone on.

Individual stats aren't as meaningful as team stats. How else do you describe the fact that the Bobcats had the #1 scoring defense in conference but only had 2 players in the top 50 for tackles (22nd (Troy) and 24th)?

I doubt Dante Olsen would have more than 70 tackles on the Bobcat defense. (70 would be 23 more than the leading Bobcat tackler FYI).

Sorry, I'm calling BS on that post. Scheme? Too funny. Olson is way better than any defensive player the Cats had.

Back