• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Statement from Jeremy Calhoun

greasewood said:
If Bobby wasn't such a hardass idiot, he'd take him back & give him a full scholarship for next year. We've already lost the '18 season, no reason to let a great player like that go for the '19 season. Bobby already lost Jensen, now Calhoun. He should swallow his pride & do what's best for the team.

Maybe he is...

Ursa Major said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizindabox said:
1. Player tells coach he is not going to play to get healthy for next year.
2. Coach tells player that there is not a "spot" for him next year.
3. Player tells coach that he is still going to decline playing this year to get healthy.
5.Player is released from team.

There seems to be a hole in the events between point 3 and 5. I get JC wanting to redshirt, but I completely get this from BH's perspective.

I actually see both sides on this one. I just think Bobby should be the adult in the room. Could have been handled 100 different ways, all of them better than it was imo.

Funny that Logan Jones with the Cats only played in 4 games after coming back from injury and they kept him out of playoffs to keep that in place so he can play healthy all of next year. He and the coaches talked at length about it and stayed in touch all of it and came to that decision together. Wouldn’t that have been much easier.

Nailed it! Bobby is who we thought he was. Never going to be a Don Read. Neva.

Choate also screwed Logan over his sophomore year and demoted him to an after school walk on because he couldn’t attend voluntary summer work outs !!

AllWeatherFan said:
Ursa Major said:
Nailed it! Bobby is who we thought he was. Never going to be a Don Read. Neva.

I agree 100%. I was going to ask that very question: How would Don Read have handled this? It's safe to say, the answer is, "very differently." Read would have demonstrated grace and class and thoughtfulness. Hauck, not so much. "He didn't want to play anymore." Just threw the kid under the bus to satisfy his own ego and show how "tough" he is. All he had to say was, "He wanted to redshirt, but we didn't have a spot for him on next season's roster." While everybody knows that's bullshit, at least it shows some compassion.

Griz players and Griz fans deserve better. Only my opinion, you're free to [be wrong and] disagree. The biggest danger is the clear message to recruits and parents of recruits: "Stay away. Nobody needs this shit show drama."

I doubt that recruits would pay any or much attention to this one. If they did, the message would probably be: coaches decide redshirting, don't come to the coach right before the important last 2 games of the season and request/demand a redshirt, this coach expects players to put team before themselves, this coach is probably going to take a hard line on bad and criminal behavior (he always did, but not there is the extra scrutiny).

To me, while I haven't not taken sides on this one (as I don't have all the facts, but do think that ultimately coaches' make the decisions on a college football team), the one area for criticism might be what Hauck said to the media (or what they printed of what he said).

I don't see this as shit show drama at all. All recruits should come to learn that if you want to play and be successful at UM, you need to do what the coaches and Hauck want you to do, and you need to follow the Athletic Code and Hauck's rules. If you do that and work hard, you will find success, and you will help the team find success.

Former Griz Ty Timmer, who is now a first year orthopedic resident at NDSU, says the NDSU program is run remarkably similar to how Hauck ran the program when Ty played for him. Ty works with the football team. He was down on the field for the game last weekend. And yes, he talked to TG, who recruited him and whom I believe officiated his wedding.

Montana90 said:
Just realize, it is all about Bobby. It was the first time around and will be the same this time around.

Don't agree. It's about RTD and winning. Hauck has his plan, program and way, and believes that's how the team can/will RTD. He demands that players follow the plan/program, and tells them that if they and the team do that, they and the team will be successful. That's Hauck's philosophy and formula.

I'm not saying Hauck's right or that his formula works. I suspect it does/will. Not saying I'd want to play for him or a coach like this. Would like to be successful and play on a successful team, tho.

AllWeatherFan said:
Gaeilge1 said:
It is in the past now. What matters is the future.

Wait, I thought we were "returning to dominance." How can you "return" to the future? :)

Um, hello? McFly? 1.21 gigawatts!
47680340-4076504.jpg

I think the new rule will lend to many of these type situations in the future for all schools. The Clemson qb that loss his job this year, decided to quit the team rather than be asked to play in 5 games or more. Within 5 years these type situations will be in the news even more.

ordigger said:
I think the new rule will lend to many of these type situations in the future for all schools. The Clemson qb that loss his job this year, decided to quit the team rather than be asked to play in 5 games or more. Within 5 years these type situations will be in the news even more.

Did he ask Dabo to redshirt and and was told that there was no 'spot' for him next year?

ordigger said:

I agree.

PlayerRep said:
...don't come to the coach right before the important last 2 games of the season and request/demand a redshirt

I would think that might depend on whether it was communicated as a request or a demand. So, which was it?

AllWeatherFan said:
PlayerRep said:
...don't come to the coach right before the important last 2 games of the season and request/demand a redshirt

I would think that might depend on whether it was communicated as a request or a demand. So, which was it?

My guess is a request would go something like this:

JC: Coach, I'd like to request a redshirt. I think I can contribute in a full and meaningful way next year.

BH: JC, we need you now. We are still in this thing, and we have the cats coming up.

JC: Ok, coach. See you at practice. FTC.

A demand would go something like this:

JC: Coach, I want to redshirt. I think I can contribute in a full and meaningful way next year.

BH: JC, we need you now. We are still in this thing, and we have the cats coming up.

JC: I am redshirting, or I will look elsewhere to play.

BH: We don't have a spot for you next year JC. Best of luck.

But, who the fuc& knows. Maybe he'll walk on next year. Hope he does.

Or it could have been that Calhoun was indeed hurt & Bobby wanted him to play anyway. For Bobby to want him for two games instead of a full season next year was a mistake.

I think if Bobby could have gotten away with it, he would have shit canned the entire team before spring practices & brought in all new players.

greasewood said:
Or it could have been that Calhoun was indeed hurt & Bobby wanted him to play anyway.

Assume much?

greasewood said:
For Bobby to want him for two games instead of a full season next year was a mistake.

So many people keep saying this, but I am not so sure and in the end, no way to know.

greasewood said:
I think if Bobby could have gotten away with it, he would have shit canned the entire team before spring practices & brought in all new players.

Over dramatic much.

AllWeatherFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I don't think it matters, for purposes of what I said. But if it was request, and was denied, wouldn't he has stayed on the team. Seems like it must have been closer to a demand.

Hauck liked the team. Just wished there had more good and experienced players. Don't think he wanted to shitcan the whole team.

Jeremy Calhoun is a liar.

This is one hundred percent on him, his actions. I am glad his brother is nothing like him and will stay with his teammates next year and contribute. At least one of them gets what it means to be a team player.

Griz Stud said:
Jeremy Calhoun is a liar.

This is one hundred percent on him, his actions. I am glad his brother is nothing like him and will stay with his teammates next year and contribute. At least one of them gets what it means to be a team player.

Now how exactly would you know whether Jeremy Calhoun is a liar? Is he also a quitter in your world view? If so that would make him the dreaded liar/quitter bad teammate now wouldn’t it? Are you sure you’re not Dill? :roll:

Grizwold said:
The old Flux capacitor. I just put one on my 85 Chevy pickup. It's super fast now.

Weird. I just put one on my '91 F-150 and the f**king heater stopped working. Just in time for winter, of course....

Back