• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Statement from Jeremy Calhoun

kemajic said:
argh! said:
mtgrizrule said:
I'm on a work break and haven't read anything. I'm sure some are bashing Hauck. To those people, what you don't know are the ways Calhoun did himself in and crossed a few lines. He didn't hold up with class attendance, questionable decisions off the field, and borderline grades. Hauck absolutely made the right decision. Calhoun's decisions led to all this. Now accept that and get off Hauck's ass.

no.
Of course not; that's where you live.

i am not going to "accept that" because i don't agree what he said. plus, giving orders on a message board is kind of ridiculous. so i said "no". rich boosters don't agree, so drive your truck up the dirt road a bit and contemplate how i should be fired from egriz. or drive your truck back to outer structure and see how the irrigation ditch is getting along. the latter seems more interesting.

cmtgrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:
Hey boss. I know I wasn't very productive early in the year because I made some mistakes. I did make some sales as the year went along.

I know it's the end of the fiscal year and we really need some production to meet our objectives, but I think it's best if I take some time off and get ready for next year when I will really be productive. My parents agree. What do you say boss?

Not taking sides but this is not the same situation.

You're right. Leaders absolutely should lead in the manner the led demand.

Who runs the program? The coaching staff or the players? If BH let JC decide if and when he was going to play he would have every player making similar decisions and a roster consistently inconsistent. This is assuming JC was physically able to play the Idaho and state games...

At this point, BH should allow JC to walk on and make the team without a scholly if he truly wants to be a Griz. Meanwhile he’ll have all his teammates wondering next year if they could have beat the cats for the first time in their careers had he chosen to play... (I’m sure there are some RS seniors who remember beating the cats).

Ursus1 said:
No spot for him???.....Bobby better have a stud coming in that can play immediately or he has really screwed the 2019 team. JC was by far the best back going into 2019 had he been redshirted like so many suggested all along.

this is par for the course for many teams and your gonna see this more and more with this new rule. We already have Eastwood, Green and Turner plus we had other offers already out to RBs. We have a small senior class this year. If Calhoun stays that eats one of those offer slots. Also you have to think of it this way: Calhoun put the team in a negative spot with his legal issues. We had to count on him not being even here...then he was cleared...had to sit for 4 games. broke other team rules..was injured multiple times. He was not a player the team could rely on and when he had the chance to be a difference maker, play in the final 2 games and possibly get his team to the playoffs....he said no...i want another year for ME. okay that's fine but we can't be the team that does that. we aren't going to play ME ball. We aren't recruiting kids who say...Im only going to redshirt for a year...We want players that give all they have for the team even if it comes at sacrifice. Jeremy is a great player and a good guy...it might be different if we were out of the playoffs by 2 games and we a large senior group leaving with extra spots but Bobby wants every new recruit spot we can get this year.

The people whining about Hauck's decision and how it should have been handled differently are exactly the people who deserve the past 7 years of results.

grizband said:
argh! said:
grizindabox said:
Ursus1 said:
No spot for him???.....Bobby better have a stud coming in that can play immediately or he has really screwed the 2019 team. JC was by far the best back going into 2019 had he been redshirted like so many suggested all along.

Just like JC screwed this team in 2018?

you really think the griz would've got in the playoffs by beating the bobs? and that if calhoun had played, they necessarily would have?

clairvoyant.
I fully believe if the Griz beat the Cats, they would have been included in the playoffs.

Me too.

George Ferguson said:
mtgrizrule said:
I'm on a work break and haven't read anything. I'm sure some are bashing Hauck. To those people, what you don't know are the ways Calhoun did himself in and crossed a few lines. He didn't hold up with class attendance, questionable decisions off the field, and borderline grades. Hauck absolutely made the right decision. Calhoun's decisions led to all this. Now accept that and get off Hauck's ass.

rule, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am curious as to how you know about the kids academic record? That is confidential information. And I will add that if ANYONE who is employed by the University of Montana, including a member of the football coaching staff shared with you Jeremy's academic record, they could get in a ALOT of trouble.

Note that general information on that subject can come from many sources other than coaches or the university. Other players, parents of players, friends or acquaintances of the player. And then from people who heard from sources like that.

GF, while I don't know, I wonder if a general comment that a kid doesn't attend classes consistently and/or hasn't had great grades, is a violation of anything. It's not that scores of people outside of UM officials wouldn't already know that information. Doesn't seem to be a big privacy thing, when it isn't private anymore, but, again, don't know.

1972 said:
kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
I actually see both sides on this one. I just think Bobby should be the adult in the room. Could have been handled 100 different ways, all of them better than it was imo.
Hauck was the adult in charge of the program in the room. Busy preparing for rivalry games that could make or break the season. He plans in detail; has plans for every schollie and partial for 2019, coverage for a fifth year of JC is not expected or included. Some of these are for rewarding walk-ons who are ready to play these last two important games. He is surprised that in this situation his starting RB informs him that he will sit out the final two games to redshirt and extend his eligibility into next year and expects 2019 schollie coverage. So BH should accept this player decision which is counter to his plans, when in fact redshirt decisions with schollie coverage are with the coach. This player which is not committed to his 2018 season finish should be entitled to the coach reworking his 2019 plans to accommodate and rob schollie coverage planned for other players? Adult leaders don't go for that.

This X1000

I think Jeremy is a great kid, wish him the best in his future, no doubt he was our best running back. Wish he would have stuck it out with his teammates to help them in their two biggest games of the season.

:thumb:

While I have said, and still feel, that I don't have enough info to assign blame to either side, I have found the discussion to be interesting. I agree that ultimately the coach decides these things. Obviously, the player got himself in a hole with the coaches with the behavior problems. Most of us don't know anything about how things went, in terms of attitude, during the season. This could have influenced Hauck.

It seems that both sides were within their "rights". The player has now preserved his ability to play another year somewhere, if this was his main goal. Wouldn't he have to graduate to play at the D-! level?

The player waited too long to bring up the subject, if he wanted until the week this occurred.

We don't know what UM has in mind for running backs next year. I'm not so sure we're loaded, or loaded with experience, but obviously we don't know what UM may have up its sleeve.

If they got into it a bit, which is what I heard, that is too bad. Ideally, it would have been nice for discussion about what was realistic. Ideally, there would have been a calm discussion about what was realistic. Hauck would have calmly said I don't think we have a spot for you next year, or a scholarship. We have made other plans. Maybe, a comment that he could walk on and see what happens. We'd really like you for the rest of the season. These are big games. We think we can make the playoffs with 2 wins. You are now our starter. You've just had a great game. But, it's your decision. Let me know by tomorrow before practice.

I don't have a problem with Hauck giving him a choice. I hope there was enough non-heated discussion for that to have occurred.

I wonder what Green thought, and whether JC talked to Green ahead of time. I can't imagine that he didn't.

Given how the Cat game went, I agree with those who think the Griz would have won if JC ha been playing.

I don't like the new 4-game redshirt rule.

And the head coach after careful consideration and discussion with team doctors and fellow coaches decided it would be in the best interest of the team for you to play against the bobcats......

HookedonGriz said:
grizindabox said:
1. Player tells coach he is not going to play to get healthy for next year.
2. Coach tells player that there is not a "spot" for him next year.
3. Player tells coach that he is still going to decline playing this year to get healthy.
5.Player is released from team.

There seems to be a hole in the events between point 3 and 5. I get JC wanting to redshirt, but I completely get this from BH's perspective.

I actually see both sides on this one. I just think Bobby should be the adult in the room. Could have been handled 100 different ways, all of them better than it was imo.

Funny that Logan Jones with the Cats only played in 4 games after coming back from injury and they kept him out of playoffs to keep that in place so he can play healthy all of next year. He and the coaches talked at length about it and stayed in touch all of it and came to that decision together. Wouldn’t that have been much easier.

Nailed it! Bobby is who we thought he was. Never going to be a Don Read. Neva.

Ursa Major said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizindabox said:
3. Player tells coach that he is still going to decline playing this year to get healthy.

There seems to be a hole in the events between point 3 and 5. I get JC wanting to redshirt, but I completely get this from BH's perspective.

Funny that Logan Jones with the Cats only played in 4 games after coming back from injury and they kept him out of playoffs to keep that in place so he can play healthy all of next year. He and the coaches talked at length about it and stayed in touch all of it and came to that decision together. Wouldn’t that have been much easier.

Was Logan also coming into his final season suspended due to a fight in the spring? Not to mention, this behavior occurred under a new coaching staff that came back to Missoula with a microscope up their ass. I wish Calhoun was here for another season and I hope Bobby is becoming more flexible with age. That said, I totally understand how this went down from both sides. Hard to fault Bobby considering the circumstances.

Ursa Major said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizindabox said:

For better or worse.

Ursa Major said:

I agree 100%. I was going to ask that very question: How would Don Read have handled this? It's safe to say, the answer is, "very differently." Read would have demonstrated grace and class and thoughtfulness. Hauck, not so much. "He didn't want to play anymore." Just threw the kid under the bus to satisfy his own ego and show how "tough" he is. All he had to say was, "He wanted to redshirt, but we didn't have a spot for him on next season's roster." While everybody knows that's bullshit, at least it shows some compassion.

Griz players and Griz fans deserve better. Only my opinion, you're free to [be wrong and] disagree. The biggest danger is the clear message to recruits and parents of recruits: "Stay away. Nobody needs this shit show drama."

AllWeatherFan said:
Ursa Major said:

I agree 100%. I was going to ask that very question: How would Don Read have handled this? It's safe to say, the answer is, "very differently." Read would have demonstrated grace and class and thoughtfulness. Hauck, not so much. "He didn't want to play anymore." Just threw the kid under the bus to satisfy his own ego and show how "tough" he is. All he had to say was, "He wanted to redshirt, but we didn't have a spot for him on next season's roster." While everybody knows that's bullshit, at least it shows some compassion.

Griz players and Griz fans deserve better. Only my opinion, you're free to [be wrong and] disagree. The biggest danger is the clear message to recruits and parents of recruits: "Stay away. Nobody needs this shit show drama."
+1

go96griz said:
Ursa Major said:
HookedonGriz said:
grizindabox said:

Was Logan also coming into his final season suspended due to a fight in the spring? Not to mention, this behavior occurred under a new coaching staff that came back to Missoula with a microscope up their ass. I wish Calhoun was here for another season and I hope Bobby is becoming more flexible with age. That said, I totally understand how this went down from both sides. Hard to fault Bobby considering the circumstances.

Once again, the Jones thing is very different from the plight of JC. The Cats plan all season was to redshirt Jones, the Griz plan all along was never to redshirt JC.

Not blaming anyone for what happened. It is in the past now. What matters is the future. I like the idea of allowing JC the opportunity to walk on in 2019. When compared with the running backs presently with the team JC is the most proven talent.
If he is willing to consider that option it would not impugn Bobby's overall plan for 2019 and would certainly improve depth at a position that desperately needs it!

indian-outlaw said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Ursa Major said:

+1

Parents SHOULD in fact stay away...

If Bobby wasn't such a hardass idiot, he'd take him back & give him a full scholarship for next year. We've already lost the '18 season, no reason to let a great player like that go for the '19 season. Bobby already lost Jensen, now Calhoun. He should swallow his pride & do what's best for the team.

Back