• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Statement from Jeremy Calhoun

HookedonGriz said:
I actually see both sides on this one. I just think Bobby should be the adult in the room. Could have been handled 100 different ways, all of them better than it was imo.
Hauck was the adult in charge of the program in the room. Busy preparing for rivalry games that could make or break the season. He plans in detail; has plans for every schollie and partial for 2019, coverage for a fifth year of JC is not expected or included. Some of these are for rewarding walk-ons who are ready to play these last two important games. He is surprised that in this situation his starting RB informs him that he will sit out the final two games to redshirt and extend his eligibility into next year and expects 2019 schollie coverage. So BH should accept this player decision which is counter to his plans, when in fact redshirt decisions with schollie coverage are with the coach. This player which is not committed to his 2018 season finish should be entitled to the coach reworking his 2019 plans to accommodate and rob schollie coverage planned for other players? Adult leaders don't go for that.

grizindabox said:
argh! said:
grizindabox said:
Ursus1 said:
No spot for him???.....Bobby better have a stud coming in that can play immediately or he has really screwed the 2019 team. JC was by far the best back going into 2019 had he been redshirted like so many suggested all along.

Just like JC screwed this team in 2018?

you really think the griz would've got in the playoffs by beating the bobs? and that if calhoun had played, they necessarily would have?

clairvoyant.

What I am saying, is that if JC made better decisions, he would have been available from game 1. If you think BH is screwing the team because of no JC in 2019, you must also believe that JC screwed the 2018 team by his own personal decisions that cost him the chance to be on the field game 1.

Hard to argue that.

Dutch Lane said:
He had a history of concussions did he not? He gets another one middle of this season, so who decides if he should continue to play this season and possibly risk further injury. I think you have to leave it up to the player and his doctors to make that decision. He’s the only one who knows if he was able to function the remainder of the season with that kind of injury. Hauck said he quit, JC says he didn’t quit. There can only be one right answer here kids. No spot for him on next year’s team? Sure if he was unproven and had never contributed then yeah thanks but no thanks. But it is pretty evident he had heavily contributed to the franchise for 3 years, albeit Stitt years.

Anybody wonder why a simple misdemeanor assault charge took over 4 months to resolve through a plea agreement with so much on the line. IMHO he should have taken the case to trial in June and most likely would have been aquitted and if not then appeal the damn thing which would have probably not played out until after the first of the year. Something in all this just doesn’t make sense. I’m thinking that Hauck was basically done with him after the incident in May but rather then kick him of the team at that juncture he was gonna let the student code of conduct and the state sort out the details for him. I agree with Hooked, don’t think it was handled at all well.

He wasn't charged for several months. The police had it for a long time. Then, the country attorney. They apparently looked at felony or misdemeanor, and I suppose maybe even no charge.

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
I actually see both sides on this one. I just think Bobby should be the adult in the room. Could have been handled 100 different ways, all of them better than it was imo.
Hauck was the adult in charge of the program in the room. Busy preparing for rivalry games that could make or break the season. He plans in detail; has plans for every schollie and partial for 2019, coverage for a fifth year of JC is not expected or included. Some of these are for rewarding walk-ons who are ready to play these last two important games. He is surprised that in this situation his starting RB informs him that he will sit out the final two games to redshirt and extend his eligibility into next year and expects 2019 schollie coverage. So BH should accept this player decision which is counter to his plans, when in fact redshirt decisions with schollie coverage are with the coach. This player which is not committed to his 2018 season finish should be entitled to the coach reworking his 2019 plans to accommodate and rob schollie coverage planned for other players? Adult leaders don't go for that.

This X1000

I think Jeremy is a great kid, wish him the best in his future, no doubt he was our best running back. Wish he would have stuck it out with his teammates to help them in their two biggest games of the season.

I'm on a work break and haven't read anything. I'm sure some are bashing Hauck. To those people, what you don't know are the ways Calhoun did himself in and crossed a few lines. He didn't hold up with class attendance, questionable decisions off the field, and borderline grades. Hauck absolutely made the right decision. Calhoun's decisions led to all this. Now accept that and get off Hauck's ass.

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:

As I have said, my advice to JC would have been to say that he and his family felt that he should not play more this season due to his concussion and continuing issues. One, he may well have had some (minor) lingering issues. Two, after playing a lot at SU, no one in the world would know how JC felt after that game then JC.

Also, if he was strongly considering redshirting, and had discussed it with his family, he should have talked to Hauck sooner. He waited too long by waiting until after game 4. I can't imagine he and his family woke up on Sunday after the SU game and thought, jeez, maybe JC should be redshirt.

Recall Craig Ochs' situation at CU. After starting 2 years and playing a few games his 3d year, he got a concussion. After being cleared to come back, I think, he decided not to play the rest of the year and later transferred. I think I had heard that he had gotten into it a bit with the coach too over something, like major his faith.

mtgrizrule said:
I'm on a work break and haven't read anything. I'm sure some are bashing Hauck. To those people, what you don't know are the ways Calhoun did himself in and crossed a few lines. He didn't hold up with class attendance, questionable decisions off the field, and borderline grades. Hauck absolutely made the right decision. Calhoun's decisions led to all this. Now accept that and get off Hauck's ass.

Lot more to the story that many don't know and never will.

As much as I like Calhoun, I for one feel that with all of his concussions, not sure it's wise long term to keep playing. More to life than football, with him the best.

SoldierGriz said:
Hey boss. I know I wasn't very productive early in the year because I made some mistakes. I did make some sales as the year went along.

I know it's the end of the fiscal year and we really need some production to meet our objectives, but I think it's best if I take some time off and get ready for next year when I will really be productive. My parents agree. What do you say boss?

+1

Hauck made the right call, he just did it with the public relations sense and tact of Michael Scott.

SoldierGriz said:
Hey boss. I know I wasn't very productive early in the year because I made some mistakes. I did make some sales as the year went along.

I know it's the end of the fiscal year and we really need some production to meet our objectives, but I think it's best if I take some time off and get ready for next year when I will really be productive. My parents agree. What do you say boss?

Not taking sides but this is not the same situation.

cmtgrizzly said:
SoldierGriz said:

Not taking sides but this is not the same situation.

+1000

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:

pfft, and adult leader would have seen this coming from a mile off and addressed the situation at or near the beginning of the season. acting "tough" doesn't make a leader, being smart and proactive does. moreover, real leaders don't denigrate those under them, or take pot shots at young people who recently left the 'business', like hauck did.

but the way you want to spin it is of zero surprise to me, or probably anyone, mr boo hoo hoo i didn't get my way i'm going home.

mtgrizrule said:

no.

argh! said:
grizindabox said:
Ursus1 said:
No spot for him???.....Bobby better have a stud coming in that can play immediately or he has really screwed the 2019 team. JC was by far the best back going into 2019 had he been redshirted like so many suggested all along.

Just like JC screwed this team in 2018?

you really think the griz would've got in the playoffs by beating the bobs? and that if calhoun had played, they necessarily would have?

clairvoyant.
I fully believe if the Griz beat the Cats, they would have been included in the playoffs.

argh! said:
kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:

pfft, and adult leader would have seen this coming from a mile off and addressed the situation at or near the beginning of the season. acting "tough" doesn't make a leader, being smart and proactive does. moreover, real leaders don't denigrate those under them, or take pot shots at young people who recently left the 'business', like hauck did.
Total drivel; what was there for the adult leader to see at the start of the season other than the suspension for 3 of 11 games and maybe suspicions regarding the player's character. But he should be available for 8 games. Oops, another concussion; should have seen that coming. Still could have played 6 of 11 games, including the most important rivalry games, had he not decided to sit the last two. No reason to see that coming since redshirts with schollie coverage are the decision of the coach, not the player. Of course there would be no concussions or suspensions in 2019 and he would be available for all 12 games. Take that one to the bank. Leaders, including this one had a plan that was best for the program; it was the player that went against the plan. The player did not have the credibility with the coach to disrupt the plan. Appropriately he is on his own with his choice.

mtgrizrule said:

rule, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am curious as to how you know about the kids academic record? That is confidential information. And I will add that if ANYONE who is employed by the University of Montana, including a member of the football coaching staff shared with you Jeremy's academic record, they could get in a ALOT of trouble.

argh! said:
mtgrizrule said:

no.
Of course not; that's where you live.

George Ferguson said:
mtgrizrule said:

rule, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am curious as to how you know about the kids academic record? That is confidential information. And I will add that if ANYONE who is employed by the University of Montana, including a member of the football coaching staff shared with you Jeremy's academic record, they could get in a ALOT of trouble.

I'm not saying who told me what. I do appreciate you summing up why Hauck has kept it general. For those very reasons. As another poster said, we will never know everything behind the decision. I'm confident in what I heard. You can choose to believe what you want. Also, it isn't any of the coaches.

Back