• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Statement from Jeremy Calhoun

grizindabox said:
1. Player tells coach he is not going to play to get healthy for next year.
2. Coach tells player that there is not a "spot" for him next year.
3. Player tells coach that he is still going to decline playing this year to get healthy.
5.Player is released from team.

There seems to be a hole in the events between point 3 and 5. I get JC wanting to redshirt, but I completely get this from BH's perspective.

I actually see both sides on this one. I just think Bobby should be the adult in the room. Could have been handled 100 different ways, all of them better than it was imo.

Funny that Logan Jones with the Cats only played in 4 games after coming back from injury and they kept him out of playoffs to keep that in place so he can play healthy all of next year. He and the coaches talked at length about it and stayed in touch all of it and came to that decision together. Wouldn’t that have been much easier.

HookedonGriz said:
Funny that Logan Jones with the Cats only played in 4 games after coming back from injury and they kept him out of playoffs to keep that in place so he can play healthy all of next year. He and the coaches talked at length about it and stayed in touch all of it and came to that decision together. Wouldn’t that have been much easier.

My understanding is that they were planning to redshirt Jones all along, but he got healthy enough to play. The plan was never for JC to redshirt.

behappp said:
The real question is that Bobby explicitly said that Jeremy quit the team, if I remember correctly. Jeremy's tweet makes perfect sense to me, if accurate. But somebody isn't telling the truth here. I'm glad Bobby is back and I think he will be successful but I'm not sure that he has great personnel skills.

Not necessarily a case of "somebody isn't telling the truth". Calhoun probably said he wanted to play all of next year instead of two more games this year, and coach probably heard "I'm not going to play any more".

Regardless of what was said I'm sorry Jeremy won't be a Grizzly next year. I appreciate what he did on the field and thought he was giving his all when he played. I wish him the very best wherever he lands.

I disagree with anyone who lays this at the feet of Coach Hauck. I would also disagree with anyone who lays blame on JC. It is an unfortunate turn of events, for sure, but the Coach did what was best for the team and the player did what was best for the player. Some might say the player was being selfish and not a team-player. Maybe, but who else is going to truly look after the player's best interests than the player and his family. JC wants to play another season, and while that is entirely understandable, Coach has a strategic plan regarding recruiting and scholarship availability. Some might say Coach was being selfish. Maybe, but Coach's job is to look after the best interest of the Program, which includes all the players, as well as developing a strategic plan for everything that goes with running the Program. JC's request didn't fit with Coach's strategic plan. That, also, is entirely understandable. During the four or five years that most athletes spend at a university a whole lot of things can happen. Things like behavior, grades, health and player performance. And things happened. Not horrible things, just things. While most student-athletes stay at their original university and go on to graduate, not all do. This is one of those times. Hopefully JC will find a landing spot where he can play and graduate and hopefully the Griz either find a stud RB or develop one already on the roster to replace JC in the starting lineup next season. Go GRIZ!

Griz90 said:
I disagree with anyone who lays this at the feet of Coach Hauck. I would also disagree with anyone who lays blame on JC. It is an unfortunate turn of events, for sure, but the Coach did what was best for the team and the player did what was best for the player. Some might say the player was being selfish and not a team-player. Maybe, but who else is going to truly look after the player's best interests than the player and his family. JC wants to play another season, and while that is entirely understandable, Coach has a strategic plan regarding recruiting and scholarship availability. Some might say Coach was being selfish. Maybe, but Coach's job is to look after the best interest of the Program, which includes all the players, as well as developing a strategic plan for everything that goes with running the Program. JC's request didn't fit with Coach's strategic plan. That, also, is entirely understandable. During the four or five years that most athletes spend at a university a whole lot of things can happen. Things like behavior, grades, health and player performance. And things happened. Not horrible things, just things. While most student-athletes stay at their original university and go on to graduate, not all do. This is one of those times. Hopefully JC will find a landing spot where he can play and graduate and hopefully the Griz either find a stud RB or develop one already on the roster to replace JC in the starting lineup next season. Go GRIZ!
Wonderful post!

Griz90 said:
Well said.

The Calhoun brothers were a package deal when they came to the Griz. Will they leave together as a package deal? Very difficult for Justin to stay if he feels his brother got a bad deal, time will tell.

grizindabox said:
CDAGRIZ said:
grizindabox said:
behappp said:
The real question is that Bobby explicitly said that Jeremy quit the team, if I remember correctly. Jeremy's tweet makes perfect sense to me, if accurate. But somebody isn't telling the truth here. I'm glad Bobby is back and I think he will be successful but I'm not sure that he has great personnel skills.

But by JC deciding not to play, could that be perceived by the coach as him quitting?

It certainly could lead to a perception. So the answer last month could be, "I'm not going to comment on this during the season, but it doesn't look like he will be in action for us this year."

OR

"He said he didn't want to play football anymore."

LOL, it is Bobby we are talking about.

True. I have no problem with him telling JC to hit the bricks. I'm much less sold on making quitting type comments to the press.

goatcreekgriz said:
Somebody needs to be in charge. UM pays one dude to be in charge.
[/quote

UM granted him a scholarship to play football and this meant to be under a coach...coach/school
needed him to perform his duty...he chose not..team needed him to perform his task to compete
to win games..player looked out for his own interest and not the team..coach had no choice but to
let him go... its call commitment something that's lacking in our society today!..good call coach!

grizghost said:
goatcreekgriz said:
Somebody needs to be in charge. UM pays one dude to be in charge.
[/quote

UM granted him a scholarship to play football and this meant to be under a coach...coach/school
needed him to perform his duty...he chose not..team needed him to perform his task to compete
to win games..player looked out for his own interest and not the team..coach had no choice but to
let him go... its call commitment something that's lacking in our society today!..good call coach!

Griz90 said:

Well said.

He had a history of concussions did he not? He gets another one middle of this season, so who decides if he should continue to play this season and possibly risk further injury. I think you have to leave it up to the player and his doctors to make that decision. He’s the only one who knows if he was able to function the remainder of the season with that kind of injury. Hauck said he quit, JC says he didn’t quit. There can only be one right answer here kids. No spot for him on next year’s team? Sure if he was unproven and had never contributed then yeah thanks but no thanks. But it is pretty evident he had heavily contributed to the franchise for 3 years, albeit Stitt years.

Anybody wonder why a simple misdemeanor assault charge took over 4 months to resolve through a plea agreement with so much on the line. IMHO he should have taken the case to trial in June and most likely would have been aquitted and if not then appeal the damn thing which would have probably not played out until after the first of the year. Something in all this just doesn’t make sense. I’m thinking that Hauck was basically done with him after the incident in May but rather then kick him of the team at that juncture he was gonna let the student code of conduct and the state sort out the details for him. I agree with Hooked, don’t think it was handled at all well.

Griz90 said:

Dead on.

dayday said:
Maybe he'll join Jensen at Texas State with Stitt.
Unless he graduates and goes to grad school, he will have to move down to play next year.

Hey boss. I know I wasn't very productive early in the year because I made some mistakes. I did make some sales as the year went along.

I know it's the end of the fiscal year and we really need some production to meet our objectives, but I think it's best if I take some time off and get ready for next year when I will really be productive. My parents agree. What do you say boss?

Back