• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Should football be cancelled If too many players test positive for colds and flu?

But are the claims false, 8184? Do the recommendations not prevent the spread of Covid? One look at the week's experiences in Texas should provide clear answers to those questions if one is objective enough to fully consider them.

Meanwhile in the real world. The largest medical complex in the US, in Houston, has no icu beds open. Texas has closed all bars and they are restricted the size of gatherings again. Florida, Arkansas, and Arizona will follow suit as their hospitals totally fill and they consider setting up field hospitals. If there is football there will be few if any fans in attendance. When people talk about the hospitalization rate rather than death rate a different picture emerges. We are getting better at treating this but it is close to overwhelming several medical systems in several states.

p8nted said:
Meanwhile in the real world. The largest medical complex in the US, in Houston, has no icu beds open. Texas has closed all bars and they are restricted the size of gatherings again. Florida, Arkansas, and Arizona will follow suit as their hospitals totally fill and they consider setting up field hospitals. If there is football there will be few if any fans in attendance. When people talk about the hospitalization rate rather than death rate a different picture emerges. We are getting better at treating this but it is close to overwhelming several medical systems in several states.

Just for clarity - the ICU that you refer to in Houston is 75% non-covid cases. The hospital model probably needs reform to have more beds open for public health emergencies, but let's be clear that the reasons ICUs are full are not solely due to a huge number of covid patients.

Da Boyz Mom said:
p8nted said:

Just for clarity - the ICU that you refer to in Houston is 75% non-covid cases. The hospital model probably needs reform to have more beds open for public health emergencies, but let's be clear that the reasons ICUs are full are not solely due to a huge number of covid patients.

I agree and Kind of my point. There will be no room for those car wrecks as covid fills up the normally spare ICU beds. This is also why so many hospitals in the south are cancelling elective surgeries again.

Of interest as well

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-effects/scientists-just-beginning-to-understand-the-many-health-problems-caused-by-covid-19-idUSKBN23X1BZ

EverettGriz said:
But are the claims false, 8184? Do the recommendations not prevent the spread of Covid? One look at the week's experiences in Texas should provide clear answers to those questions if one is objective enough to fully consider them.

Slow... it can.
Stop.... it can't once spread is global.

We can run but we can't hide. How long do we want to keep running is the question when the end result is the same?

And when the longer it's around is more deadly in the end, why do that?

Now I see a study claims masks on two people 4 ft apart does nothing to stop transmission. Imperial margarine had right all along, you can't stop mother nature.

Life is for the living, it passes by those perpetually fretting of dying.

EverettGriz said:

I don't understand what you are saying? What recommendations? Where's the data that supports that any particular action stops/slows the thread?

What are the clear answers from Texas? I am trying to read some articles on Texas, but I don't know what the "clear answers" are.

Over half of the cases in Texas and Florida are people under 35. Probably not much risk for death for most of them. Yes, they can spread. I don't know how to deal with the large problem of the younger crowd knowing they are not at risk, and they are going to go to bars and beaches, and have fun.

"Oregon, Nevada, Kansas, Louisiana, and North Carolina have also announced reopening pauses or delays in the past week in light of increasing case counts.

Today Abbott also suspended elective surgeries and medical procedures in Bexar, Dallas, Harris, and Travis counties in an effort to free up hospital beds. The counties represent San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and Austin. Texas Public Radio said yesterday that San Antonio's ventilator availability dropped below 70%, and one Houston hospital's intensive care unit capacity was already at 120%.

Yesterday Texas tracked 5,551 new cases and 29 new deaths, bringing state totals to 125,921 cases and 2,249 fatalities. Harris county and the metro Houston area have nearly 25,000 cases.

Yesterday, Abbott urged Texans to stay home if possible, maintain physical distancing, and wear a face covering in public."

Though he said the increasing case counts were cause for concern, Redfield said the country was in a different situation today than in March or April.

"Two months ago, 25% of deaths in the country were due to COVID, pneumonia, or influenza-like illness," he said. "Now that's down to 7%."

That same sentiment was shared by Vice President Mike Pence yesterday in a closed-door lunch with Republican senators, according to the Washington Post. Pence reportedly said that while cases are rising, mortality is not, because younger people are being infected.

horribilisfan8184 said:
EverettGriz said:

Slow... it can.

We can run but we can't hide. How long do we want to keep running is the question when the end result is the same?

Now I see a study claims masks on two people 4 ft apart does nothing to stop transmission. Imperial margarine had right all along, you can't stop mother nature.

If you slow the spread the vaccine will be here. Kind of the point. The end result is not the same

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

I don't understand what you are saying? What recommendations? Where's the data that supports that any particular action stops/slows the thread?

What are the clear answers from Texas? I am trying to read some articles on Texas, but I don't know what the "clear answers" are.

Over half of the cases in Texas and Florida are people under 35. Probably not much risk for death for most of them. Yes, they can spread. I don't know how to deal with the large problem of the younger crowd knowing they are not at risk, and they are going to go to bars and beaches, and have fun.

"Oregon, Nevada, Kansas, Louisiana, and North Carolina have also announced reopening pauses or delays in the past week in light of increasing case counts.

Today Abbott also suspended elective surgeries and medical procedures in Bexar, Dallas, Harris, and Travis counties in an effort to free up hospital beds. The counties represent San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and Austin. Texas Public Radio said yesterday that San Antonio's ventilator availability dropped below 70%, and one Houston hospital's intensive care unit capacity was already at 120%.

Yesterday Texas tracked 5,551 new cases and 29 new deaths, bringing state totals to 125,921 cases and 2,249 fatalities. Harris county and the metro Houston area have nearly 25,000 cases.

Yesterday, Abbott urged Texans to stay home if possible, maintain physical distancing, and wear a face covering in public."

Though he said the increasing case counts were cause for concern, Redfield said the country was in a different situation today than in March or April.

"Two months ago, 25% of deaths in the country were due to COVID, pneumonia, or influenza-like illness," he said. "Now that's down to 7%."

That same sentiment was shared by Vice President Mike Pence yesterday in a closed-door lunch with Republican senators, according to the Washington Post. Pence reportedly said that while cases are rising, mortality is not, because younger people are being infected.

Deaths are a lagging factor as the young spread it to the older and/or diabetics, obese, etc. Give it a month and see where the deaths are and then your point might make sense. Can we see numbers of people who will deal with fibrosis of the lungs and the other complications of this virus? Many will deal with it for life.

p8nted said:
PlayerRep said:

Deaths are a lagging factor as the young spread it to the older and/or diabetics, obese, etc. Give it a month and see where the deaths are and then your point might make sense. Can we see numbers of people who will deal with fibrosis of the lungs and the other complications of this virus? Many will deal with it for life.

so you’re a proponent of the “just wait two weeks” crowd. That speaks volumes. :lol:

Houston had an INSIDE funeral for George Floyd with over 1,000 people in attendance. Houston, San Antonio, Dallas and Austin ALL had protests and riots in the first week of June.

And here we are. And yet we somehow remain surprised. :? :?

AZGrizFan said:
p8nted said:

so you’re a proponent of the “just wait two weeks” crowd. That speaks volumes. :lol:

Houston had an INSIDE funeral for George Floyd with over 1,000 people in attendance. Houston, San Antonio, Dallas and Austin ALL had protests and riots in the first week of June.

And here we are. And yet we somehow remain surprised. :? :?

Sounds like fans at sporting events would be an issue also. That doesn't seem to bode well.

p8nted said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Slow... it can.

If you slow the spread the vaccine will be here. Kind of the point. The end result is not the same

You're awfully confident about a vaccine that doesn't exist yet, may never happen and if it does, may not be as safe or as effective as it needs to be.

There is no proof yet that the mitigation measures have changed the ultimate outcome.

I just love how this issue keeps getting politicized. Makes me want to puke. Now we have George Ferguson being referenced, Pence, protesters, etc. This country can’t get any more divided. Covid doesn’t care if you are Republican, Democrat or independent. Enough with those damn references. I will very surprised if their is a season this year. Makes me really bummed out and I hope this thing turns for the better. Italy is having some better results it sounds like and hopefully the US follows suit. Unfortunately this will probably get worse before it gets better.

So what should be done if 8 or 10 players test positive for the virus? Just ignore it? Pretend it won’t be a problem?

Spanky2 said:
So what should be done if 8 or 10 players test positive for the virus? Just ignore it? Pretend it won’t be a problem?

Yup, ignore it. They will be fine. Continue without them until they are cleared. Just look at the thread title.

horribilisfan8184 said:
EverettGriz said:

Slow... it can.

As long as I outrun you, me I am fighting to the end. Please you and all your brethren, stay away.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Slow... it can.

The longer we delay getting a big influx into the healthcare system, the more medical workers we have always available to treat those that do come in, and the more likely we are to be able to effectively treat the cases that appear (along with all the non-Covid critical patients who will continue to come in, too) while also getting us closer to a potential vaccine or, at minimum, continued improvements in treatment options (as we've already seen).

There are plenty of reasons to argue all sides of opening/ re-opening schedules, as certainly the economic damage is having very negative impacts on peoples' lives, but "the end result is the same" and suggesting delaying the peak creates more deaths are just incorrect (not to mention those two statements are themselves at odds with each other anyways).

jlambertum said:
I’m not sure what the right answer is. I think player safety is paramount, but at some point the show must go on.
Definitely this. I don't know what the answer is, but I do think it's worthwhile to discuss. It's an exceedingly complex issue, and one that changes seemingly week to week.

jlambertum said:
I’m not sure what the right answer is. I think player safety is paramount, but at some point the show must go on.

..right on!.. the show must go on...as a country we must go on...our economy must go on..people
in the past have faced MORE severe life threating illnesses and they have plowed ahead..onward! ...some
will live some will die but that is life!...when we understand this we will be better for it!..fear holds
us back ...let the games go on!

fanofzoo said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Slow... it can.

As long as I outrun you, me I am fighting to the end. Please you and all your brethren, stay away.

One ought to be familiar with the data from Clemson, KSU, LSU, etc. by now. I want football but I also want the kids who bring in millions of dollars for the Power 5 schools to get a decent piece of the pie, and yes, it is slowly happening via FCOA. But I digress. Let's get real, okay? Small college football is going to be the first the NCAA tells to go their own way(s) and that includes the wannabe Group of 5 schools. Hell, even that damn junior college in Boise shut down.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check/colleges-already-showing-they-aren-the-task-keeping-athletes-safe/lutWKPfbAKKpxWgR6ZXZwO/

Back