• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Should football be cancelled If too many players test positive for colds and flu?

Spanky2 said:
WaGriz4life said:
This is the reality of the data. Cases are up (duh cumulative cases are always going to go up) and in some states like Florida even if the percentage of positive tests is going up the death rate is going down and the hospitalizations are down 44% since April, because young people are testing positives and almost none of them have had serious issues.

I don’t have the answers and I don’t think you do either. You used the word almost which would suggest that some of them have had serious issues.
Many of the people on this board continue to compare the virus to flu and pneumonia. There is a vaccine for both. Nothing for the virus.
I believe you nailed it Spanky. What would the numbers look like if we experienced the seasonal flu without vaccines? Idk
The national plan forward is no plan or more like 50 plans reacting to the data and science, but being driven by re election politics. We are truly fucked

Dutch Lane said:
Spanky2 said:
I don’t have the answers and I don’t think you do either. You used the word almost which would suggest that some of them have had serious issues.
Many of the people on this board continue to compare the virus to flu and pneumonia. There is a vaccine for both. Nothing for the virus.
I believe you nailed it Spanky. What would the numbers look like if we experienced the seasonal flu without vaccines? Idk
The national plan forward is no plan or more like 50 plans reacting to the data and science, but being driven by re election politics. We are truly f###[#]

You and Spanky appear to get it. Others on the board don’t. The whole thing is a mess

Copper Griz said:
Dutch Lane said:
The national plan forward is no plan or more like 50 plans reacting to the data and science, but being driven by re election politics. We are truly f###[#]

You and Spanky appear to get it. Others on the board don’t. The whole thing is a mess

What is there to “get”? Do you interpret the data differently?

ilovethecats said:
retiredpopo said:
I wonder how many good players will have their careers ended if they get covid19? .

Just a prediction but I'd guess somewhere about .00006524% of "good" players, or even just "players" will have their careers ended by Covid.

Time will tell.....

Amazing. My model came ur up with the exact same prediction.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Young adults have a much greater risk of severe illness and death from the flu than they do from covid. Since we never cancel football seasons for the flu, I say we shouldn't for covid either.

From the following article:

"Second, newsflash, college kids are far more likely to die of pneumonia or the flu than they are the coronavirus.

Yet I’ve never heard anyone call for the cancellation of any college sporting event over either pneumonia or the flu.

The reality is college kids are more likely to die driving to campus for workouts than they are from the coronavirus.

And they all know it!

Which is why they’re out chasing girls.

As long as we don’t start playing football games at nursing homes, we’re going to be fine."

https://outkick.com/media-ignores-90-coronavirus-death-collapse-in-country/

That is a great post. It made me laugh too. I agree.

Dutch Lane said:
Spanky2 said:

The national plan is to keep opening up and adjust as necessary.

What alternative national plan would you suggest.

You like to complain but never have an answer

From the patriot League

Student-athletes will return to campus at the same time as other students;
Patriot League competition will begin at the end of September, with the expectation that League play will be completed prior to Thanksgiving;
Non-League competition will not begin prior to Friday, Sept. 4;
Patriot League member institutions will confirm that non-League competitors are following comparable health and safety protocols in advance of any contest; and,
No Patriot League teams will fly to competitions and, with rare exceptions, regular-season competition will exclude overnight travel.

https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/6/22/general-patriot-league-council-of-presidents-announces-guidance-regarding-2020-fall-competition.aspx

Copper Griz said:
The flu virus has a vaccine. The death rate associated with it is far less than with Covid. Are college players going to get sick if they contract Covid? Probably, but most will recover without complications. The real worry is who are they transmitting it to? An elderly at risk individual or just younger kids in their peer group? A virus doesn’t care how young you are, who you hang with or what your bank account says. Transmission is the real risk. Until we get a vaccine we have the debate of -
Let it run its course and infect people until we reach 70-80% and build antibodies OR wear a mask, use very precautionary measures and try to keep hospital beds/ventilators open for patients. I don’t have an answer, but I don’t make light of a situation where people are on their death bed. If your family member was fighting for their life some of you might not have such cavalier attitudes. I hope football happens and it will be a major downer if the season doesn’t commence as usual. It would also be a bigger downer if fellow Americans died because we didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to be responsible and sacrifice for others. Welcome to the generation of me me me. Yes, that generation starts with the boomers.

* If you read the article I posted, it makes very clear that young people have a far far greater chance of dying from pneumonia or flu than they do from covid, so while in general your assertion that covid is deadlier than flu is true across the entire population, it is not true regarding the demographic of (traditional age) college students.

* Yes transmissibility is one of the issues, however I haven't seen evidence that any of the football players who have been found to be positive, actually had any symptoms. As far as I know all cases were found through routine testing. Data indicates that people with very mild symptoms or who are asymptomatic, might not be spreading the virus at all. The WHO even admitted this before they backtracked (because it's what they do). Besides which, testing and quarantine seems to be keeping it from spreading so far among those teams who are returning. If it turns out not to be the case then obviously different decisions would have to be made at that time but in the meantime it seems to be pretty low risk.

* Younger people who are out and about and not quarantining at home probably shouldn't be visiting Grandma right now in any case, and if both parties choose to have interaction anyway then they choose to accept the risks. Life is full of risks every single day, and we all make decisions as to what level of risk we will assume. This is no different.

* Vaccines are tricky. We tend to think of vaccines as a savior like in the case of polio or smallpox but not all vaccines are that effective because viruses mutate. We have had a flu vaccine for years and years and it's still only about 50% effective in any given year. There are zero guarantees that any covid vaccine is going to be produced in any timely manner or that it will be effective or safe enough for the entire population once produced. And yet, it's pretty obvious that we cannot all stay locked up for the foreseeable future. As I said earlier, life has risks. Viruses aren't new. That doesn't mean we are being cavalier about things, just realistic. People in the highest risk group should stay isolated as much as possible but life must go on otherwise (with mitigation measures as needed).

* My post quoted an article that used humor to make a point. Humor has always been used to lift spirits and/or drive home a point, even at the darkest times in history. That doesn't mean anyone is being cavalier with people's lives; it simply means that humans need to laugh a little. Laughter is great medicine.

* I take issue with your "everyone is just selfish now" insinuation. Personal liberty is not selfish - it is the very foundation of our country. Students, athletes, coaches, and fans all have liberty to choose what level of risk they are comfortable with and make their decisions accordingly. Yes, our actions do have consequences for those around us, therefore people should stay home when sick, keep their distance as much at possible, and follow all the other guidelines while still exercising their own free will.

* Finally (bonus tip) - many studies are showing that people who are vitamin D deficient have a much greater chance of severe illness and death from covid than those who have sufficient levels of the vitamin. So make sure Grandma is taking plenty of the stuff.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Copper Griz said:
The flu virus has a vaccine. The death rate associated with it is far less than with Covid. Are college players going to get sick if they contract Covid? Probably, but most will recover without complications. The real worry is who are they transmitting it to? An elderly at risk individual or just younger kids in their peer group? A virus doesn’t care how young you are, who you hang with or what your bank account says. Transmission is the real risk. Until we get a vaccine we have the debate of -
Let it run its course and infect people until we reach 70-80% and build antibodies OR wear a mask, use very precautionary measures and try to keep hospital beds/ventilators open for patients. I don’t have an answer, but I don’t make light of a situation where people are on their death bed. If your family member was fighting for their life some of you might not have such cavalier attitudes. I hope football happens and it will be a major downer if the season doesn’t commence as usual. It would also be a bigger downer if fellow Americans died because we didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to be responsible and sacrifice for others. Welcome to the generation of me me me. Yes, that generation starts with the boomers.

* If you read the article I posted, it makes very clear that young people have a far far greater chance of dying from pneumonia or flu than they do from covid, so while in general your assertion that covid is deadlier than flu is true across the entire population, it is not true regarding the demographic of (traditional age) college students.

* Yes transmissibility is one of the issues, however I haven't seen evidence that any of the football players who have been found to be positive, actually had any symptoms. As far as I know all cases were found through routine testing. Data indicates that people with very mild symptoms or who are asymptomatic, might not be spreading the virus at all. The WHO even admitted this before they backtracked (because it's what they do). Besides which, testing and quarantine seems to be keeping it from spreading so far among those teams who are returning. If it turns out not to be the case then obviously different decisions would have to be made at that time but in the meantime it seems to be pretty low risk.

* Younger people who are out and about and not quarantining at home probably shouldn't be visiting Grandma right now in any case, and if both parties choose to have interaction anyway then they choose to accept the risks. Life is full of risks every single day, and we all make decisions as to what level of risk we will assume. This is no different.

* Vaccines are tricky. We tend to think of vaccines as a savior like in the case of polio or smallpox but not all vaccines are that effective because viruses mutate. We have had a flu vaccine for years and years and it's still only about 50% effective in any given year. There are zero guarantees that any covid vaccine is going to be produced in any timely manner or that it will be effective or safe enough for the entire population once produced. And yet, it's pretty obvious that we cannot all stay locked up for the foreseeable future. As I said earlier, life has risks. Viruses aren't new. That doesn't mean we are being cavalier about things, just realistic. People in the highest risk group should stay isolated as much as possible but life must go on otherwise (with mitigation measures as needed).

* My post quoted an article that used humor to make a point. Humor has always been used to lift spirits and/or drive home a point, even at the darkest times in history. That doesn't mean anyone is being cavalier with people's lives; it simply means that humans need to laugh a little. Laughter is great medicine.

* I take issue with your "everyone is just selfish now" insinuation. Personal liberty is not selfish - it is the very foundation of our country. Students, athletes, coaches, and fans all have liberty to choose what level of risk they are comfortable with and make their decisions accordingly. Yes, our actions do have consequences for those around us, therefore people should stay home when sick, keep their distance as much at possible, and follow all the other guidelines while still exercising their own free will.

* Finally (bonus tip) - many studies are showing that people who are vitamin D deficient have a much greater chance of severe illness and death from covid than those who have sufficient levels of the vitamin. So make sure Grandma is taking plenty of the stuff.

Maybe you might have heard of this saying " the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

fanofzoo said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Maybe you might have heard of this saying " the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

99% of people will NOT die from this virus so obviously they are the "many" you speak of which means their need to work and function in society is greater than the 1% right to stay alive.... Yet I think you were trying to make the opposite point so hmm... Besides which, I actually said (later in the same paragraph) that one's actions can have consequences for others so we should all be considerate in specific ways such as self quarantining when sick.

I'm making a couple of assumptions here: 1) Any player who tests positive for COVID, no matter how symptomatic, will be forced to isolate for 14 days. 2). Anybody who has come into close contact with a player who has tested positive (i.e., within 6 feet of that person for more than 10 minutes) will also be forced to isolate for 14 days.

If those are indeed the assumptions that most football programs are operating under, then it's hard to see a team of 100 players, managers, coaches and trainers not experiencing "outbreaks" over the 6 months of practice and season. Managing those outbreaks is going to be a challenge. And what if you lose 5 or 6 starters to quarantine at any given time? I'm not saying there won't be football this fall, but I think there are going to be a lot of fits and starts.

AZGrizFan said:
Based off some recent research I’ve been doing and the recent death trends/case trends, I’d say it’s trending very favorably for the “panic” portion of the pandemic to have worn out it’s welcome by mid-August.

Daily deaths down 90% since 4/21.
7 day moving average of deaths down 72% since 4/21
Weekly deaths down for 8 straight weeks

All in the face of new “hot spots” popping up in a few spots around the country. The new cases seem to be skewed towards the younger, healthier generation and the death rate has dropped dramatically. Either the virus is burning itself out or it’s been around a lot longer than previously thought...regardless, unless there’s a dramatic shift in the death curve/trends, I think it bodes well for fall/winter sports.

I will let you know that the number of deaths is not what is driving this bus. The number that will dictate what happens is the number of hospitalizations.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Copper Griz said:

Yep. it 's now official. You ARE my favorite "new" poster on eGriz.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
Based off some recent research I’ve been doing and the recent death trends/case trends, I’d say it’s trending very favorably for the “panic” portion of the pandemic to have worn out it’s welcome by mid-August.

All in the face of new “hot spots” popping up in a few spots around the country. The new cases seem to be skewed towards the younger, healthier generation and the death rate has dropped dramatically. Either the virus is burning itself out or it’s been around a lot longer than previously thought...regardless, unless there’s a dramatic shift in the death curve/trends, I think it bodes well for fall/winter sports.

I will let you know that the number of deaths is not what is driving this bus. The number that will dictate what happens is the number of hospitalizations.

Well, given that the ultimate (original) goal of sequester in place was to flatten the curve to prevent hospital overrun, you're probably right. But the numbers that drive the fear porn out there are # of cases and # of deaths.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

Hospitalization tracking information over time is difficult to find but I did locate a website that has been tracking this information.

https://carlsonschool.umn.edu/mili-misrc-covid19-tracking-project

If you look at hospitalizations by date it shows a graph that indicates that hospitalizations are down significantly since the peak. Of course certain places are showing spikes but that's often in places that avoided much impact at the beginning. It seems logical that most deaths take place in hospitals so if the number of deaths is falling, it would also seem true that hospitalizations are falling which seems to be the case.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

Well, given that the ultimate (original) goal of sequester in place was to flatten the curve to prevent hospital overrun, you're probably right. But the numbers that drive the fear porn out there are # of cases and # of deaths.

Well, all these numbers are not mutually exclusive.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

And neither are the number of positives vs. the number of tests being performed.

fanofzoo said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

I've asked others this as well, but based on some of your comments you appear to be a perfect person to ask as well. Will you be wearing masks from here on out? For the rest of your life regardless of when this particular virus ends? Because it's proven that masks will ALWAYS play a part in saving lives. Or is it just this one virus in which people are selfish if they don't wear them? If it's REALLY about doing what is best for others, and REALLY about saving lives, then all of the people grandstanding about masks all of a sudden in 2020 should be more than happy to wear them forever.

Da Boyz Mom said:
grizindabox said:

Hospitalization tracking information over time is difficult to find but I did locate a website that has been tracking this information.

https://carlsonschool.umn.edu/mili-misrc-covid19-tracking-project

If you look at hospitalizations by date it shows a graph that indicates that hospitalizations are down significantly since the peak. Of course certain places are showing spikes but that's often in places that avoided much impact at the beginning. It seems logical that most deaths take place in hospitals so if the number of deaths is falling, it would also seem true that hospitalizations are falling which seems to be the case.

I will let you know, with first hand knowledge, that hospitalizations is some areas are not going down, and are actually spiking up to levels from before. Why do you think that areas are enacting mandatory face coverings rules? Why did Ada County in Idaho move back a phase this week? Why are the reports of greater community spread becoming a big worry for governments/medical professionals?

MikeyGriz said:
grizindabox said:

And neither are the number of positives vs. the number of tests being performed.

The percentage of positives has meaning, but the raw numbers can be misleading.

Latest posts

Back