• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scheduling FBS opponents - good or bad?

I think it's good for our guys with pro aspirations. Gives scouts some film on our guys to see how they compete against a higher level and if they win those 1 on 1 matchups.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
behappp said:
PlayerRep said:
How does playing a P5 help the UM brand, particularly when we get our butts kicked?

You are assuming that we will always get our butts kicked. Is that the attitude that your friends on the team have?

Or do they like the challenge?

PR always assumes that. That's why he assumes sub-.500 seasons and a half empty stadium should we have the temerity to move up...

I have never once said UM would have .500 seasons or half empty stadiums if UM moved up.

By the way, nice summary of the end of the Weber game last night. Two shots by Weber in the paint?

:lol: :lol: OK. Only like a thousand times.

But whatever, dude. And try and keep up. i already admitted my error in the pertinent thread. I guess you’ve never made a mistake. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
behappp said:
You are assuming that we will always get our butts kicked. Is that the attitude that your friends on the team have?

Or do they like the challenge?

PR always assumes that. That's why he assumes sub-.500 seasons and a half empty stadium should we have the temerity to move up...

Nope. As I said, NEVER have I said that.
I have never once said UM would have .500 seasons or half empty stadiums if UM moved up.

By the way, nice summary of the end of the Weber game last night. Two shots by Weber in the paint?

:lol: :lol: OK. Only like a thousand times.

But whatever, dude. And try and keep up. i already admitted my error in the pertinent thread. I guess you’ve never made a mistake. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
Struggling with the quote function now, grandpa?

Nope, just my typing on iPhone.

At least, I'm not struggling with my memory, including at the end of the Weber game, or my knowledge of basketball or football, like you. Jeez, I didn't even watch the Weber game, but knew Weber had taken a 3 point shot, when down 3, from outside the paint.

That comment by you was almost as dumb as your guarantee that Stitt would not get fired even if he lost to the Cats.

We need a new Brinty category for top 10 dumbest POY. You would win it easily.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Nope, just my typing on iPhone.

At least, I'm not struggling with my memory, including at the end of the Weber game, or my knowledge of basketball or football, like you. Jeez, I didn't even watch the Weber game, but knew Weber had taken a 3 point shot, when down 3, from outside the paint.

That comment by you was almost as dumb as your guarantee that Stitt would not get fired even if he lost to the Cats.

If you weren’t struggling with your memory, why did you have to ask the question in the first place?

And I see Stitt is still living in your head rent free...awesome.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Nope, just my typing on iPhone. ??

If you weren’t struggling with your memory, why did you have to ask the question in the first place?

And I see Stitt is still living in your head rent free...awesome.

What question? How the men's game ended, when I was at the Lady Griz game watching that game?

AZ, you are the one developing dementia.

With the athletic department's reserve funds vanishing like the proverbial snowball in hell it's beyond time to get real. When you can't pay your bills you hold your nose and look for the best bailout you can find - and that means entertaining invites from deep-pocketed FBS programs that will cough up big paydays for a Saturday afternoon in Lincoln, Eugene or Austin...More enticing games with bankrupt FCS schools and home and home with NDSU are bandages in lieu of major surgery. Fact: Like it or not the Griz are going to have to get in the ring with a heavyweight once a year in their gym in order to survive.

Silvertip, automatically assigning Griz Football to play a series of body bag games to pick up the tab for reckless spending is bullshit. This is a spending problem, not an earning problem. Who OK'd the spending?

tourist said:
Silvertip, automatically assigning Griz Football to play a series of body bag games to pick up the tab for reckless spending is bullshit. This is a spending problem, not an earning problem. Who OK'd the spending?

A spending problem not an earning problem....hmmmm....now where have I seen that problem before....

tourist said:

Doesn't UM make, and net, as much or more from having a home game, even a D-II? And aren't the games that UM make/net the least, the bigger FCS games against team that have large travel costs (unless the ticket priced can be increased to $50 or so?

Do the math. Stadium capacity is just over 25,200. Largest crowd ever is 26,508. Assume about 2,000 non-revenue ticket. Early season games are usually well-attended. I'll assume 24,500 minus 2,000, or 22,500 revenue tickets.

I don't recall the cost of tickets now. There is a bit of a cost of printing the tickets, etc. I will assume $35 anyway.

35 times 22,500 equals $787,500. Guarantee for CWU. Think it used to be only $50,000. Maybe $75,000 now. How much does it cost for a couple busses to Missoula and one of night hotels with some meals.

So, $712,500, plus game day expenses, plus revenue from selling food, drink and Griz gear. I know a lot of those things go to the U and not athletics, but it is still revenue to UM. And then the benefit to Missoula bars, hotels, restaurants and shops.

Don't know what the Oregon game guarantee is, but it was $625,000 for the last UW game, according to Missoulian.

"UW ...is paying Montana $625,000 for the guarantee game"

I believe the traveling team needs to pay all of its own travel costs out of its guarantee. I assume UM took a charter.

If some of you have more or better info, please post and update the number.

I agree with what you are saying, PR. You have brought out what I did not say, the WGS angle. $avannah $tate may relish the thought of going to Alabama to play, but I doubt $avannah $tate can gross $700-900K for its home games, like the Griz do. This, 'Oh, yeah, we need a $650K payout" to run off to Eugene or Seattle, play against four or five star talent, and get busted up and humiliated is pure bullshit. If this overspending and playing nationally ranked FBS teams for the 'money' is the mark of Haslam, we can do without him.

PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Its good for the BRAND...especially in the Pacific Northwest for us.

How does playing a P5 help the UM brand, particularly when we get our butts kicked?

By having your school name and logo connected to larger school names and logos.

So...looking at where (1) UM can realistically cut spending and (2) make up any financial deficits this thread has produced a bunch of nonstarters. My admittedly limited review of department expenditures shows few if any that can be deleted without severe negative impact. I read a lot of "save money" but don't make any changes that don't include prospects for participating in the FCS playoffs...a money losing ego trip. Also there's hardly anybody in the FCS worth bring in for less than a 100K check against an ominously diminishing number of butts in WaGriz on an increasing number of Saturdays.

Using the 2019 OOC schedule as a template what will be the casual fan's reaction to Haslem's musing over raising ticket prices to watch the likes of the North Alabama's and Monmouth's of the world? Charging more for suspect value has never been a winner. And yah, how does saving money by eliminating those trips to North Dakota stack up with paying the freight to bring in an obscure team from Florence, Alabama?! Until the administration does a reality check and starts making some hard choices the problem will only grow.

In my earlier post I avoided using the "body bag" term knowing full well that predictably somebody else wouldn't disappoint me. Call it what you will, but while the Griz still have enough appeal to draw interest from a Power 5 school it's past time to let them know that UM's athletic department's travel bureau is open and eager for business. If anybody knows where else you can make half a million $$$$ plus in three hours please share...? False pride won't pay the bills.

Silvertip said:
So...looking at where (1) UM can realistically cut spending and (2) make up any financial deficits this thread has produced a bunch of nonstarters. My admittedly limited review of department expenditures shows few if any that can be deleted without severe negative impact. I read a lot of "save money" but don't make any changes that don't include prospects for participating in the FCS playoffs...a money losing ego trip. Also there's hardly anybody in the FCS worth bring in for less than a 100K check against an ominously diminishing number of butts in WaGriz on an increasing number of Saturdays.

Using the 2019 OOC schedule as a template what will be the casual fan's reaction to Haslem's musing over raising ticket prices to watch the likes of the North Alabama's and Monmouth's of the world? Charging more for suspect value has never been a winner. And yah, how does saving money by eliminating those trips to North Dakota stack up with paying the freight to bring in an obscure team from Florence, Alabama?! Until the administration does a reality check and starts making some hard choices the problem will only grow.

In my earlier post I avoided using the "body bag" term knowing full well that predictably somebody else wouldn't disappoint me. Call it what you will, but while the Griz still have enough appeal to draw interest from a Power 5 school it's past time to let them know that UM's athletic department's travel bureau is open and eager for business. If anybody knows where else you can make half a million $$$$ plus in three hours please share...? False pride won't pay the bills.

I bet UM nets more per game playing at home than it did playing UW. Jeez, look at the numbers. UM must gross almost $800,000 playing at home against. D-II. That’s why UM doesn’t play many P5 games. They don’t make anymore money. Including all of what goes to UM, they make money playing at home.

Do the math, Silvertip. And, because you didn't want to bring up an obvious downside, injuries, I'll use the term you wanted to avoid: BODYBAG, BODYBAG, BODYBAG!!! :lol:
Its about money? Then, stay home. Meaning the Griz should stay home, not you.

tourist said:
Do the math, Silvertip. And, because you didn't want to bring up an obvious downside, injuries, I'll use the term you wanted to avoid: BODYBAG, BODYBAG, BODYBAG!!! :lol:
Its about money? Then, stay home. Meaning the Griz should stay home, not you.
You are making claims that you cannot substantiate. Produce real data to show that more injuries occur playing FBS opponents that playing FCS oppontents.

PlayerRep said:
I bet UM nets more per game playing at home than it did playing UW. Jeez, look at the numbers. UM must gross almost $800,000 playing at home against. D-II. That’s why UM doesn’t play many P5 games. They don’t make anymore money. Including all of what goes to UM, they make money playing at home.
I will bet the number is no more than $600,000 net. At best a wash if you don't mind DII's on the schedule. I do. Players like to play FBS teams; DII's not so much.

Latest posts

Back