• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scheduling FBS opponents - good or bad?

behappp said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Its good for the BRAND...especially in the Pacific Northwest for us.

How does playing a P5 help the UM brand, particularly when we get our butts kicked?

You are assuming that we will always get our butts kicked. Is that the attitude that your friends on the team have?

Or do they like the challenge?

Yes, in terms of scheduling P5 teams now, I believe UM will get its butts kicked. I'm not talking about "always"; I talking about now and reality.

What does attitude have to do with whether to schedule P5? Do you think a possible attitude will lead to wins, or closer games against P5?

I don't know what current players think. In the past, my understanding is the athletic department wanted to have an FBS game about every 4 years to give all teams makers at least one chance to play an FBS game. Don't know the current thinking. WU and Oregon must be about 3 years apart. I assume players like and remember their big game experiences, but I'm not sure they'd want to do that every season.

Personally, there would be more challenge in playing non-P5 teams. Mountain West, for example. But I don't care. I just don't get overly excited about playing up, let alone P5.

The only FBS away game I ever attended was Iowa and that was because I was invited to go on the team charter. That was a lot of fun. Touring Iowa's renovated stadium. Going into the pink bathrooms for visiting teams and the new nice suites. Going out on the town on Friday night. However, going on the team charter to Hofstra was more fun. Jimmy Buffett concert at Jones Beach on first night. Going into NYC the next days with the team and coaches, and touring. Lunch in Times Square. Staying in the city for dinner that night with some of the group.

AZGrizFan said:
behappp said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

How does playing a P5 help the UM brand, particularly when we get our butts kicked?

You are assuming that we will always get our butts kicked. Is that the attitude that your friends on the team have?

Or do they like the challenge?

PR always assumes that. That's why he assumes sub-.500 seasons and a half empty stadium should we have the temerity to move up...

I have never once said UM would have .500 seasons or half empty stadiums if UM moved up.

By the way, nice summary of the end of the Weber game last night. Two shots by Weber in the paint?

RayWill said:
"...school is growing,..." Really? In what way? Good news the last six years has been rare. The numbers I have seen, albeit from cats posters, continue to show a downward trend, enrollment wise. What sources are you using for your numbers?

poorgriz said:
get'em_griz said:
dbackjon said:
AllWeatherFan said:
The rub is that, consistent with your logic, no FBS program should schedule us...ever...for the exact same reasons.

One difference - FBS is allowed to count an FCS win (provided they give 90%-100% of allowed schollies) as a win for Bowl purposes. The Equivalent would be for FCS to "count" 1 DII win provided they met a minimum Schollie requirement

I'm pretty sure that DII games now count towards FCS playoff eligibility.

What?

Well, they sure can't count toward D-I wins.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I don't know the answer to that, but I just booked my hotel room for Eugene. :thumb: :thumb:

I used my travel budget to book to the Rugby 15's World Cup in Japan in September. New Zealand v South Africa, Ireland v Scotland, Australia v Wales, England v USA.

RayWill said:
HookedonGriz said:
RayWill said:
HookedonGriz said:
I’m all for it as I love going to these types of games. I would take this type of game over the shitty division 2 central Washington team we just schedule for 2020. I can’t believe Haslam got away with that

They will be FCS in 2020. Were the whole purpose for the stadium renovation and the boosters and athletic director want to either find an FCS conference or move as an independent by 2020

100%? Do you have a source? I know they’d like to be. I’d like to be a millionaire.

I know a big booster for the program. He told me that was the plan for about 5 years now with a goal of 2020, but yes like everything it is not 100%. However, there are a lot of people throwing money at it to make it happen, the school is growing, it seems fairly likely.

Thanks for the info. I hope that happens but it seems pretty ambitious. I’d be thrilled if they were FCS by then just for that game to actually count toward something. Maybe Haslam knows something we don’t :)

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
get'em_griz said:
dbackjon said:
One difference - FBS is allowed to count an FCS win (provided they give 90%-100% of allowed schollies) as a win for Bowl purposes. The Equivalent would be for FCS to "count" 1 DII win provided they met a minimum Schollie requirement

What?

Correct there is no upside whatsoever to scheduling a D2. None. Zero. If you win, it doesn’t count toward playoffs or anything. If you blow them out, it doesn’t count toward anything. If you lose it’s pretty devastating (my cats buds still catch shit over Danny Woodhead). Literally no upside.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I don't know the answer to that, but I just booked my hotel room for Eugene. :thumb: :thumb:

I used my travel budget to book to the Rugby 15's World Cup in Japan in September. New Zealand v South Africa, Ireland v Scotland, Australia v Wales, England v USA.

The only time I would ever cheer for England in rugby!

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
get'em_griz said:

What?

Correct there is no upside whatsoever to scheduling a D2. None. Zero. If you win, it doesn’t count toward playoffs or anything. If you blow them out, it doesn’t count toward anything. If you lose it’s pretty devastating (my cats buds still catch shit over Danny Woodhead). Literally no upside.

Technically, DII wins now do count "somewhat" towards playoffs when previously they didn't count at all. The NCAA selection committee uses the SRS to help determine playoff eligibility and yes, they do count DII games. Albeit DII wins only count for +.65 of one point and don't count towards the D1 win total. I could be misinterpreting the rules, but this is how I understand it. I agree though, there really isn't an upside to playing DII games.

"An additional bonus/penalty of +/- 0.1 is added/deducted for games that FCS teams play against FBS/non-Division I opponents. For instance, a home FCS win against a Division II opponent counts only as +0.65 points (0.75 for a home win - 0.1 penalty for playing a Division II opponent). In addition, a road FCS win against an FBS opponent counts +1.35 points for the FCS team (1.25 points for a road win + 0.1 bonus for beating an FBS opponent)."

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2018-19DIMFB_PreChampsManual.pdf

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
get'em_griz said:

What?

Some non-playoff upsides. Another home game and big money in the bank--due to home game, attendance/season tickets, and low cost to for guarantee/travel (often bus) of opponent. And, sometimes, there just are not good affordable alternatives for the particular date.

And, usually, depth can be developed because non-starters and non-two deepers get more playing time. I think players who otherwise get no, or almost no, playing time, also get excited about working harder and being prepared the rest of the season. And, occasionally, coaches see that a young player is more prepared to play than they had realized.

get'em_griz said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:

Technically, DII wins now do count "somewhat" towards playoffs when previously they didn't count at all. The NCAA selection committee uses the SRS to help determine playoff eligibility and yes, they do count DII games. Albeit DII wins only count for +.65 of one point and don't count towards the D1 win total. I could be misinterpreting the rules, but this is how I understand it. I agree though, there really isn't an upside to playing DII games.

"An additional bonus/penalty of +/- 0.1 is added/deducted for games that FCS teams play against FBS/non-Division I opponents. For instance, a home FCS win against a Division II opponent counts only as +0.65 points (0.75 for a home win - 0.1 penalty for playing a Division II opponent). In addition, a road FCS win against an FBS opponent counts +1.35 points for the FCS team (1.25 points for a road win + 0.1 bonus for beating an FBS opponent)."

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2018-19DIMFB_PreChampsManual.pdf

Thanks for the specifics and link. We could use more posts like this.

get'em_griz said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:

Thanks for sharing and that is good info. I believe in the recent past, they literally didn’t count at all. Now it looks like they count a tiny bit. I still don’t like them on our schedule.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:

Some non-playoff upsides. Another home game and big money in the bank--due to home game, attendance/season tickets, and low cost to for guarantee/travel (often bus) of opponent. And, sometimes, there just are not good affordable alternatives for the particular date.

And, usually, depth can be developed because non-starters and non-two deepers get more playing time. I think players who otherwise get no, or almost no, playing time, also get excited about working harder and being prepared the rest of the season. And, occasionally, coaches see that a young player is more prepared to play than they had realized.

Yes all valid points. I mainly meant in terms of trying to get into playoffs (which is far more important to me than any of those other things).

I've gained some good insight after my original post of this topic. Since I didn't play college football, I can't get inside these young men's heads - however, I find it hard to believe that they would rather have memories of getting their asses kicked in a P5 stadium or the chance to advance in the playoffs with a significant win over another FCS team earlier in the season. I don't believe the selection committee puts much stock in any loss to a P5 team, even if we held them to under 50 points. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought the goal every year was to make the playoffs.

get'em_griz said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:

So that adjustment to the formula on determining guidelines for who makes the FCS playoff field is new for 2019?

GoldenEagle said:
HookedonGriz said:
dbackjon said:
HookedonGriz said:
I’m all for it as I love going to these types of games. I would take this type of game over the shitty division 2 central Washington team we just schedule for 2020. I can’t believe Haslam got away with that

Would CWU be an issue if they followed Dixie State's lead into the WAC/FCS Independence?

Not in my opinion, no . we need to be scheduling all FCS with a sprinkle of FBS, but we should never schedule a division 2 team ever. There’s literally no upside to scheduling a game like that. It can only hurt you for playoffs and a blowout win does nothing

I don't think CWU will blow you out. You'll probably only lose by 10.

Remind us as to which program has lost to CWU before? :thumb:

Fellas, let’s not worry about playing FBS teams until we reverse the hideous 3 game losing streak to lowly state college.

Spanky2 said:
Fellas, let’s not worry about playing FBS teams until we reverse the hideous 3 game losing streak to lowly state college.

Naamloos-1.jpg

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Yes all valid points. I mainly meant in terms of trying to get into playoffs (which is far more important to me than any of those other things).

Yup, I knew what you were saying.

70Griz said:
I've gained some good insight after my original post of this topic. Since I didn't play college football, I can't get inside these young men's heads - however, I find it hard to believe that they would rather have memories of getting their asses kicked in a P5 stadium or the chance to advance in the playoffs with a significant win over another FCS team earlier in the season. I don't believe the selection committee puts much stock in any loss to a P5 team, even if we held them to under 50 points. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought the goal every year was to make the playoffs.

I'm with you on this.

Back