• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scheduling FBS opponents - good or bad?

George Ferguson said:
Spanky2 said:
Raider said:
kemajic said:
The solution to that is to play up and not get your butt whipped that badly. I think the NDSU players have loved their play up games.

Agreed. I believe NDSU is 5-0 in their last 5 “play up” games. EWU has competed very well also. We have a roll over approach, which I will never understand. It was this way in the mid 2000’s when we were the dominate program. Don’t get it, never will.
That is my observation. We seem to chalk those games up to a loss before playing the game. Bad attitude.

The players and coaches or the fans?? I've been to multiple Griz vs FBS games, I've never seen or felt the team or coaches ever chalked the game up to a loss. Never saw any difference in emotion, intensity or effort on the field. The fans, I agree, and I'm one of them. I'm just realistic with myself. I do not believe the Griz will beat Oregon. I have no problem though and won't call out others for believing the Griz will win that game.

Edit: I should also mention that my bad attitude towards the outcome of the Oregon game next fall will have no baring on how the actual team and coaches feel about that game.

If we stay within 40 I consider it a win...

George, that is my recollection. I’m old with a faint memory, but it surfaced at the time of the Iowa game. I recall much discussion about body bag games and comments that even our coaches thought we would lose before we made the trip.
I am of the opinion that anything can happen on the field of athletic competition and underdogs do win. A defeatist attitude has no place in athletics.

Spanky2 said:
George, that is my recollection. I’m old with a faint memory, but it surfaced at the time of the Iowa game. I recall much discussion about body bag games and comments that even our coaches thought we would lose before we made the trip.
I am of the opinion that anything can happen on the field of athletic competition and underdogs do win. A defeatist attitude has no place in athletics.

I'm pretty sure that EWU and NDSU and a few others do not approach those kind of games with that attitude.

How anxious would UW or Oregon be to schedule EWU or NDSU. I think the question has been asked recently.

Spanky2 said:

I don't recall any such attitudes among the coaches or players before any FBS games. With regard to Iowa, I was on the team charter. I talked with multiple coaches and players on Friday for much of the day, and some on Saturday morning. I recall no defeatist attitude in any respect. I watched the game from the sideline. The players and coaches were completely into the game. When UM scored a TD to get within striking distance in the third quarter, the whole bench was alive and excited. Unfortunately, the Iowa crowd and team also came alive then. If UM could have just stopped Iowa on the next drive, but they didn't.

PlayerRep said:
Spanky2 said:

I don't recall any such attitudes among the coaches or players before any FBS games. With regard to Iowa, I was on the team charter. I talked with multiple coaches and players on Friday for much of the day, and some on Saturday morning. I recall no defeatist attitude in any respect. I watched the game from the sideline. The players and coaches were completely into the game. When UM scored a TD to get within striking distance in the third quarter, the whole bench was alive and excited. Unfortunately, the Iowa crowd and team also came alive then. If UM could have just stopped Iowa on the next drive, but they didn't.
Similar story to the Oregon game; too many three and outs and the D wore down after the 17-7 third quarter score. Also like the Oregon game, a new QB.

Player, your experience and comments regarding the Iowa game correct my observations of a prevailing general attitude when we play FBS teams. We do our players a disservice with statements about body bag games or our AD has scheduled the game for a pay check. UM usually has a good football team with many quality athletes that could beat many FBS teams on a given day. Public comments to the contrary are damaging to a winning effort.

tourist said:
How anxious would UW or Oregon be to schedule EWU or NDSU. I think the question has been asked recently.

Ndsu plays at Oregon in 2020, if you don't think they are going to Eugene with a realistic chance of winning you haven't been paying attention. I would give them about a 25% to 30% chance of pulling of the upset considering all that Oregon is going to lose after this season, plus I'm not really sold on the coach at Oregon. Hell of a recruiter for sure, but game day coach , not sold on him.

cclarkblues said:
Spanky2 said:

I'm pretty sure that EWU and NDSU and a few others do not approach those kind of games with that attitude.

It appears not. We know what NDSU has done against FBS teams, but EWU has competed very well also.

Here is a recap of their last 8 games against against FBS opponents.

2018: 59-24 loss to Washington State
2017: 56-10 loss to Texas Tech
2016: 45-42 win over Washington State
2015: 61-45 loss to Oregon
2014: 59-52 loss to Washington
2013: 49-46 win over Oregon State
2012: 24-20 loss to Washington State

Thier only real blowout loss was in 2017, at Texas Tech. Other than that, they have been close games, with EWU winning twice. Compare that with UM performance against FBS opponents and it’s not pretty. We get our doors blown off, and they are very competitive.

Wonder what injuries EWU sustained in these games. I know the answer already......

Spanky2 said:
Player, your experience and comments regarding the Iowa game correct my observations of a prevailing general attitude when we play FBS teams. We do our players a disservice with statements about body bag games or our AD has scheduled the game for a pay check. UM usually has a good football team with many quality athletes that could beat many FBS teams on a given day. Public comments to the contrary are damaging to a winning effort.

I've been saying this for years. Some act like we have a team of tiny little kids going up against massive men. Just not the case.

Overall, these fbs teams should be more talented across the board. But certainly not at every position. Depth is the biggest difference.

With as many kids as you've guys put in the nfl, I'm surprised by this sentiment that fbs teams are so much bigger and better than our lowly little fcs kids...

Raider said:
cclarkblues said:
Spanky2 said:

It appears not. We know what NDSU has done against FBS teams, but EWU has competed very well also.

Thier only real blowout loss was in 2017, at Texas Tech. Other than that, they have been close games, with EWU winning twice. Compare that with UM performance against FBS opponents and it’s not pretty. We get our doors blown off, and they are very competitive.

Wonder what injuries EWU sustained in these games. I know the answer already......

Playing Oregon St and Wash St, when they are down, or mediocre, is a lot different than playing Oregon and UW when they are up, or way up. But you are right, EWU has done pretty well over that period. Personally, I think terrific and dynamic qb's and NFL quality receivers were a big part of their success. EWU went way up during those years, while the Griz stagnated.

PlayerRep said:
Raider said:
cclarkblues said:
Spanky2 said:

Playing Oregon St and Wash St, when they are down, or mediocre, is a lot different than playing Oregon and UW when they are up, or way up.

Oh, I agree PR. That is a fair point. Timing has been terrible for UM on these games. We seem to always hit them when they are peaking, and we are breaking in a news QB. The Oregon game and the UW games were perfect examples.

ilovethecats said:
Spanky2 said:

I've been saying this for years. Some act like we have a team of tiny little kids going up against massive men. Just not the case.

Overall, these fbs teams should be more talented across the board. But certainly not at every position. Depth is the biggest difference.

With as many kids as you've guys put in the nfl, I'm surprised by this sentiment that fbs teams are so much bigger and better than our lowly little fcs kids...

Agreed. The year we played Iowa we were bigger than them up front.

Latest posts

Back