• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ramos and Walker are Back

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You complained about standards so I asked for the basis of these standards and you come back with the goals stated by BH. I am just trying to figure out what the hell you are exactly bitching about today.

Ah, I see. I was referring to the standard set by the Griz over the past 30-odd years, give or take the occasional down year. You know, conference championships, deep playoff runs, domination of the Cats, occasional championship game appearances. The things we all got used to from about 1993 onwards.

Goals are not standards. They are goals.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
You complained about standards so I asked for the basis of these standards and you come back with the goals stated by BH. I am just trying to figure out what the hell you are exactly bitching about today.

Ah, I see. I was referring to the standard set by the Griz over the past 30-odd years, give or take the occasional down year. You know, conference championships, deep playoff runs, domination of the Cats, occasional championship game appearances. The things we all got used to from about 1993 onwards.

Thing is, the standard set in the last 12-15 years is not the standard you are using as a basis. I think you could argue that 2022 was the standard set by Griz football in the last 12-15 years. The 10 win seasons exceeded that standard. Maybe sad, but not wrong.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Thing is, the standard set in the last 12-15 years is not the standard you are using as a basis.

Yes, I’m well aware. :lol: But it certainly should be the standard the program aspires to. And that Bobby assured us he’d bring us back to.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Thing is, the standard set in the last 12-15 years is not the standard you are using as a basis.

Yes, I’m well aware. :lol: But it certainly should be the standard the program aspires to. And that Bobby assured us he’d bring us back to.

So do you think they met the standard with the back-to-back 10 win seasons?

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Absolutely not...they play in a Division with a bracketed championship.

Do you think 10 win seasons is the Griz standard or should be?

SoldierGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I think 10 wins definitely meets a Griz standard. I think too many people want to confuse goals with standards.

If people expect the standard to be 10 wins, semi-finals, win the BSC, etc, then those people are going to be disappointed and never happy almost all the time. Take a look at the last 12 years?

HelenaHandBasket said:
SoldierGriz said:

I think 10 wins definitely meets a Griz standard. I think too many people want to confuse goals with standards.

If people expect the standard to be 10 wins, semi-finals, win the BSC, etc, then those people are going to be disappointed and never happy almost all the time. Take a look at the last 12 years?

Then take a look at the 12 years before THAT. :cool:

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think they met the standard by making the final 8.

I don’t care about # of wins (except that it leads to better seeding and a bye week in the playoffs). But going 7-4 and then padding win totals with gimmes in the opening round of the playoffs is for losers.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Then take a look at the 12 years before THAT. :cool:

I would suggest to quit living in the past.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I don’t care about # of wins (except that it leads to better seeding and a bye week in the playoffs). But going 7-4 and then padding win totals with gimmes in the opening round of the playoffs is for losers.

Not sure I ever said that 2022 met what should be the standard and it definitely didn't meet expectations after the consecutive 10 win seasons. It is amazing how many people have turned on BH after 2022 based on how poor the program was for a decade prior to 2019.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Not sure I ever said that 2022 met what should be the standard and it definitely didn't meet expectations after the consecutive 10 win seasons. It is amazing how many people have turned on BH after 2022 based on how poor the program was for a decade prior to 2019.

Agree. Our program was in the dump getting 8 wins seems like a miracle….Bobby comes in and gets back to back 10 wins seasons and seeds in playoffs. It was insanely impressive how quick he turned everything around.

Now was last year disappointing, yes it was. Getting 7 wins was not ideal although it was a tough schedule. Do I think they will get back to 8 or 9 wins the next season, yes.

HookedonGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Agree. Our program was in the dump getting 8 wins seems like a miracle….Bobby comes in and gets back to back 10 wins seasons and seeds in playoffs. It was insanely impressive how quick he turned everything around.

Now was last year disappointing, yes it was. Getting 7 wins was not ideal although it was a tough schedule. Do I think they will get back to 8 or 9 wins the next season, yes.

The disappointment isn’t in the # of wins or lack of seeds. It’s that the SAME issue has plagued this program for the last 8-10 years and despite his best efforts he and his staff don’t seem to have the formula or the answer. But there’s a legion of fans who seem to somehow think he and his crew are gonna catch lightning in a bottle NEXT year. It’s always NEXT year.

HookedonGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

6th place and did the Griz win 10 games this year with a team picked to win the conference? They beat one team with a winning record and they did for one half.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

The disappointment isn’t in the # of wins or lack of seeds. It’s that the SAME issue has plagued this program for the last 8-10 years and despite his best efforts he and his staff don’t seem to have the formula or the answer. But there’s a legion of fans who seem to somehow think he and his crew are gonna catch lightning in a bottle NEXT year. It’s always NEXT year.
So then what was different about 2019 and 2021?

The same issues, but we somehow managed consecutive quarterfinal berths for the first time in over a decade?

You still seem to be suggesting that 2019 and 2021 were outliers, that we somehow "caught lightning in a bottle", and that last year wasn't simply a disappointing down year with some bad luck.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, I'm just trying to piece this together.

uptopgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

6th place and did the Griz win 10 games this year with a team picked to win the conference? They beat one team with a winning record and they did for one half.
If we're suddenly counting halves won, then we're actually .5-.5 against Sac and 0-.5-.5 against Weber. :thumb:

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
So then what was different about 2019 and 2021?

The same issues, but we somehow managed consecutive quarterfinal berths for the first time in over a decade?

You still seem to be suggesting that 2019 and 2021 were outliers, that we somehow "caught lightning in a bottle", and that last year wasn't simply a disappointing down year with some bad luck.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, I'm just trying to piece this together.

You want to celebrate 10 wins, quarterfinals berths, etc., etc. Good on you. Won’t deny that those are pretty good accomplishments. Just understand that until Bobby (or his successor) fixes the fatal flaw of this program that is the absolute heights of accomplishment we’re going to see. If you’re happy with that, great.

Personally I’d rather maintain an expectation that they (or the next coach) will actually fix the issue instead of lowering expectations and settling for quarterfinal berths.

But hey, to each his own.

uofmman1122 said:
uptopgriz said:
If we're suddenly counting halves won, then we're actually .5-.5 against Sac and 0-.5-.5 against Weber. :thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I’m sorry, but that’s some PR level shit right there.

Hey! It was close until halftime!! If only games were 30 minutes long, Griz would be world beaters! :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

Hauck has been way better than the most of the seasons since he was last here. What "same" issues?

uptopgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

2022 was one year, and without the starting qb playing or healthy for various games. What about the 2 prior seasons?

Latest posts

Back