• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ramos and Walker are Back

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
No, I said position groups have good games and less good games. That doesn't mean playing less good against better teams. The numbers show the o-line played well or fairly well against SS, despite not having Johnson for much of the game. The defense also had great and less great games, and a few weaker games or halves, and that wasn't all dependent on the quality of the team they were playing.

No, it pretty much was. Both units played their worst games against the best teams. There might be quarters or halves where they played decent, but for the most part the body of evidence does not support your assessment. Which tells me, we weren’t one of the best teams, even in our own conference. It’s ok to admit that, as long as you believe Bobby has a plan to MAKE us one of the best teams.

The defense was good against SS and Weber, especially playing without having Johnson at qb. The only reason UM wasn't near the top of the conference was because Johnson was hurt and out, and then back but not at full strength. When that caused most of the problem, there is no reason to make major changes.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
Yes, it does, given what the Griz standard has been and should be.

When was the last time you believe the Griz did meet "your" standards for them?

Actually, off the top of my head there was one year (I believe) where Bobby made it to the final 8. I would include that year as well. And again, they’re not “my” standards. I didn’t set the team goals of 1) BSC Championships 2) Beat the ‘Scats and 3) National Titles. Those are BOBBY’S goals.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
No, I said position groups have good games and less good games. That doesn't mean playing less good against better teams. The numbers show the o-line played well or fairly well against SS, despite not having Johnson for much of the game. The defense also had great and less great games, and a few weaker games or halves, and that wasn't all dependent on the quality of the team they were playing.

No, it pretty much was. Both units played their worst games against the best teams. There might be quarters or halves where they played decent, but for the most part the body of evidence does not support your assessment. Which tells me, we weren’t one of the best teams, even in our own conference. It’s ok to admit that, as long as you believe Bobby has a plan to MAKE us one of the best teams.

He only believes what Bobby tells him, has blinders on to what you can actually see with your own eyes and make your own determination as to what is s going on. It’s always….. we’re good because the coaches said so. PR has made that comment almost as much as he’s talked about a healthy Johnson….. which is a s h i t ton.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Actually, off the top of my head there was one year (I believe) where Bobby made it to the final 8. I would include that year as well. And again, they’re not “my” standards. I didn’t set the team goals of 1) BSC Championships 2) Beat the ‘Scats and 3) National Titles. Those are BOBBY’S goals.

So if you don't have any standards, then why is it such a big deal? I would also argue that standards are not the same as goals.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a sh*t about last season and thinks it's probably a good thing that we will have another returner playing on the OL?

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

So if you don't have any standards, then why is it such a big deal? I would also argue that standards are not the same as goals.

Who is making it a big deal? I thought we were having a discussion?

And if you want to argue semantics that’s your prerogative.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You are so wishy washy it is almost impossible to have a real discussion.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

:lol: What’s wishy washy? You’re so hell-bent on pinning someone down for an “Aha!” Moment that you’re losing sight of the big picture.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

:lol: What’s wishy washy? You’re so hell-bent on pinning someone down for an “Aha!” Moment that you’re losing sight of the big picture.

Which is that we have a 25ish-year-old starting OLineman coming back with another year of eligibility, and that's awesome.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

We were in the final 8 in two of the previous 3 seasons. The last time we were in the top 8 before that was indeed 2011. That seems pretty good? Or isn't it?

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You complained about standards so I asked for the basis of these standards and you come back with the goals stated by BH. I am just trying to figure out what the hell you are exactly bitching about today.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

We were in the final 8 in two of the previous 3 seasons. The last time we were in the top 8 before that was indeed 2011. That seems pretty good? Or isn't it?

One thing that I have learned is the 10 win seasons in 2019 and 2021 don't count.

HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

One thing that I have learned is the 10 win seasons in 2019 and 2021 don't count.
There seems to be a large contingent of fans who've become prisoners of the moment regarding the disappointing 2022 season. It can't just be that 2022 was a disappointment because of the success of the previous 2 seasons, it has to be some sort of larger narrative about how Hauck has failed to meet "expectations" and "standards" that's somehow spun into an indictment of his entire second stint as head coach, despite the fact that he's delivered the 2 best seasons we've seen since 2011 (and officially since he left the first time, with the vacated wins).

uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
There seems to be a large contingent of fans who've become prisoners of the moment regarding the disappointing 2022 season. It can't just be that 2022 was a disappointment because of the success of the previous 2 seasons, it has to be some sort of larger narrative about how Hauck has failed to meet "expectations" and "standards" that's somehow spun into an indictment of his entire second stint as head coach, despite the fact that he's delivered the 2 best seasons we've seen since 2011 (and officially since he left the first time, with the vacated wins).
I think it's more the sky high expectations we all set for '22. Even BH was vocally bullish, which never happens. We were far more loaded than the previous two seasons and it was justified. The defense, the RB room. Coming off a blowout over MSU. For a lot of reasons it didn't work out as seasons sometimes don't. It was a season, not a diving trend as the antagonists try to claim. An 8-5 season with a playoff win that seems to be the floor, so we have the ceiling to look forward to. YTBD.

HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

Ok, then I stand corrected. That’s where I think we should be (at a minimum) every year…hence why this year was such a disappointment (more for the regular season, however).

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

You complained about standards so I asked for the basis of these standards and you come back with the goals stated by BH. I am just trying to figure out what the hell you are exactly bitching about today.

Ah, I see. I was referring to the standard set by the Griz over the past 30-odd years, give or take the occasional down year. You know, conference championships, deep playoff runs, domination of the Cats, occasional championship game appearances. The things we all got used to from about 1993 onwards.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
I think it's more the sky high expectations we all set for '22. Even BH was vocally bullish, which never happens. We were far more loaded than the previous two seasons and it was justified. The defense, the RB room. Coming off a blowout over MSU. For a lot of reasons it didn't work out as seasons sometimes don't. It was a season, not a diving trend as the antagonists try to claim. An 8-5 season with a playoff win that seems to be the floor, so we have the ceiling to look forward to. YTBD.
I think it's fair to say we weren't as loaded as we all thought, but that combined with awful injury and schedule luck really did us in. I did not think before the season that we'd be playing by far the most brutal schedule we have maybe ever seen in the modern Griz era. It's okay to acknowledge that while still being disappointed in how it all turned out and thinking that the coaches need to prove they can do better.

Back