• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question for Military & ex-military?

From Jan. 15 - March 24, usage of these mediums has changed as noted. Most /much of the change has occurred since Feb. 29, the date of first virus death in US,

Websites for Facebook up 27%, Netflix up 17%, and YouTube up 15.3%.

Apps for these 3 companies have done the following: up 1.1%, up .3% and down 4.5%.

Thus, website usage way up, but phone use about the same, or down.

Video connections are way: Google Duo up 12.4%, Nextdoor 73.3%, and Houseparty 79.4. Google Duo starting going up right away. The other two in early March. [What are those things?]

Zoom way way up. Google Classroom up significantly. Microsoft Teams up some. Hangouts Meet by Google up a decent amount, after being at bottom of pack.

Zoom has gone from 2 million to 7 million. Our family is using Zoom alot. For Zoom Cocktails and otherwise. Almost every day. My wife is using it for school too, at times.

Print media websites are up a decent amount. Media websites up some. Partisan media only up a bit.

Wikipedia down a bit. CDC way up.

Video games way up. ESPN (web) down a decent amount.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/07/technology/coronavirus-internet-use.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/07/technology/coronavirus-internet-use.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage

Here's a lawsuit against Zoom. Tucker Carlson was talking about it last night, saying the Chinese could hack it or something. I didn't pay attention because I don't use it.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/privacy/zoom-class-action-alleges-privacy-violations

AZGrizFan said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
We all know how he was killed. We don't get to read many of the conversations among Generals, however. No, Eisenhower did not formally relieve him, however he did lose his command at Truman's directive and MacArthur would not afford him the opportunity to command again. There's a wealth of information available online but it's not as extensive as what is at Fort Leavenworth where I once had to grade book reports for officers going through Command and General Staff. I believe many of the Operation Orders from certain conflicts such as Normandy are public now. They make great reads actually. Check out the War College library also. This is about as accurate as one can find, however brief it may be:

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2018/06/11/general-george-s-patton-jr-death-final-days/

Anyway, great technicality and subject to interpretation stating he wasn't relieved of command.

Lol...he wasn’t relieved, but he did spend 11 months without a command....go figure... :lol:

Funny how those 201 files and OERs can save a ring knocker...anyway...guess the alligator mouths have stepped down or been formally relieved and we're all going to read the Charge of the Light Brigade once more...or something about only the dead have seen the end of war...

reinell30 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Obviously never served. The lowest cadets are taught in JROTC programs, any trainee at Basic Training are taught the critical nature within any of the branches the critical nature of the chain of command. Guess one can give him a pass because he obviously never served.

Dutch Lane is a Trump hater and makes all his cases to bad mouth the President any way he can.

This whole issue isn't about taking care of the troops, it is following your chain of command. This Captain did not do this. It is as simple as that! If you have never served, you have no idea, really, what is suppose to occur.

Opinions, well everyone has one!

I base my statement off of my 23 years active duty and 17 years of Federal Service with the United States Air Force!
“What is suppose to occur” in the chain of command at the command level doesn’t always happen though. The command level makes the rules and enforces discipline in the ranks but they also get to interpret and enforce them among their own with an ear toward the politics at play of each situation. Who is connected to who in and out of government at the time and most importantly the out come they want. Mobley gives Croizer his direct cell number and talk a couple of times about the situation. Where’s the chain of command there? So now Mobley is fired or is forced to resign for enforcing the chain of command right? No politics there? How about Trump first siding with Mobly but now siding with Crozier. Think it has anything to do with the political optics. This is the Trump Navy fellas where the chain of command is more fluid then past administrations. Lol

Hey fellas the facts that are coming out now are really contradicting the Navy on Crozier. Last week Mobly stated in a press conference that the memo did go through proper channels and chain of command. Does this change your view knowing that now? A reporter asked him so was he removed for cc’ing too many people? Lol. The other thing the fact that the ship had an outbreak and went to Guam and it was out of service was announced to the press by Mobley and the Navy a week before the memo was sent out. So it’s sounds like the memo didn’t give away any secret information. So what if anything did he do to get fired, just the fact it leaked? Thanks

No surprise here. And probably a good thing. Resignation reported a lot of places ... so, no special place given to CNN, other than there's popped up first: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/modly-resign-crozier-esper-trump/index.html

One key quote:
CNN said:
After he resigned on Tuesday, Modly again apologized for his comments about Crozier and his familiar tone, telling the Navy in a memo that -- upon getting on the ship -- "I lost situational awareness."
"When I walked on the quarterdeck of the TR I lost situational awareness and decided to speak with them as if I was their commander, or their shipmate, rather than their Secretary," Modly wrote. "They deserved better ... "
Modly said he now recognized that the "crew deserved a lot more empathy and a lot less lecturing" during his remarks. He said that he regretted how quickly his words spread through the press and insisted that his true meaning was lost.
"... I am not a football head coach, or a master chief, or even the ship's own CO, I am the Secretary of the Navy and you, and they, should expect more out of me. I own it."
To me, he deserves a lot more credit for this -- "owning it" -- than for his earlier "apology." Of course, the Trump-haters jumped all over this, accusing the prez of appointing an "unqualified" Acting Secretary. Let's see: Naval Academy graduate (no idea of his standing in the graduating class). Post-graduate degree from Georgetown University, then flight school in Pensacola to earn his wings. Call sign "Modes" -- but let's not get started on what those might "mean," or how they get started. Assistant professor at the U.S. Air Force Academy before ending his active duty in 1990. Degree from Harvard Business School and then many, many years in the "civilian" Military-Industrial complex in fairly high management positions. Modly may have proved "unsuitable" as NavSec, but he sure as Hell was not unqualified.

Some have contrasted Crozier's success in the service, rising to the rank of Captain, versus Modly not making that level. Again, could not find Modly's rank at separation, but I would guess that the Assistant Professor assignment probably got him to Lt Commander, or maybe even commander. I had two brothers who served around a quarter century each in the Navy (ended as long-time CPOs, one as a recruiter). Making captain obviously requires good "naval" qualifications. (They served under some doozies -- in both directions.) In the (mostly) peace-time Navy, you do not make captain without some careful politicking and -- frankly, in some cases, plenty of a**-kissing and playing the system. Given Modly's loss of "situational awareness" in his speech, I can easily speculate that he wasn't up to that when he was on active duty ... no matter how well he understood politics "in theory."

In any case … he’s gone now.

IdaGriz01 said:
No surprise here. And probably a good thing. Resignation reported a lot of places ... so, no special place given to CNN, other than there's popped up first: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/modly-resign-crozier-esper-trump/index.html

One key quote:
CNN said:
After he resigned on Tuesday, Modly again apologized for his comments about Crozier and his familiar tone, telling the Navy in a memo that -- upon getting on the ship -- "I lost situational awareness."
"When I walked on the quarterdeck of the TR I lost situational awareness and decided to speak with them as if I was their commander, or their shipmate, rather than their Secretary," Modly wrote. "They deserved better ... "
Modly said he now recognized that the "crew deserved a lot more empathy and a lot less lecturing" during his remarks. He said that he regretted how quickly his words spread through the press and insisted that his true meaning was lost.
"... I am not a football head coach, or a master chief, or even the ship's own CO, I am the Secretary of the Navy and you, and they, should expect more out of me. I own it."
To me, he deserves a lot more credit for this -- "owning it" -- than for his earlier "apology." Of course, the Trump-haters jumped all over this, accusing the prez of appointing an "unqualified" Acting Secretary. Let's see: Naval Academy graduate (no idea of his standing in the graduating class). Post-graduate degree from Georgetown University, then flight school in Pensacola to earn his wings. Call sign "Modes" -- but let's not get started on what those might "mean," or how they get started. Assistant professor at the U.S. Air Force Academy before ending his active duty in 1990. Degree from Harvard Business School and then many, many years in the "civilian" Military-Industrial complex in fairly high management positions. Modly may have proved "unsuitable" as NavSec, but he sure as Hell was not unqualified.

Some have contrasted Crozier's success in the service, rising to the rank of Captain, versus Modly not making that level. Again, could not find Modly's rank at separation, but I would guess that the Assistant Professor assignment probably got him to Lt Commander, or maybe even commander. I had two brothers who served around a quarter century each in the Navy (ended as long-time CPOs, one as a recruiter). Making captain obviously requires good "naval" qualifications. (They served under some doozies -- in both directions.) In the (mostly) peace-time Navy, you do not make captain without some careful politicking and -- frankly, in some cases, plenty of a**-kissing and playing the system. Given Modly's loss of "situational awareness" in his speech, I can easily speculate that he wasn't up to that when he was on active duty ... no matter how well he understood politics "in theory."

Ok, well I'm stuck on Can't find a picture of Modly in uniform, period.

Cuervohola said:
... Ok, well I'm stuck on Can't find a picture of Modly in uniform, period.
Okay ... "I feel your pain."

Quite frustrating. I did find his photo -- in uniform -- in the 1983 Naval Academy "Lucky Bag Yearbook," along with what was supposed to be a humorous squib about him (it does mention his "Modes" call sign).

Unfortunately, I'd have to buy a subscription to an electronic yearbook service to get a full-sized photo ... and I don't give that much of a damn. Anyway, by the time I blow up the on-screen image, it isn't worth s**t. But he's there. ;)

FWIW: During my search, I found that he'd received a "Meritorious Achievement Award" from the U.S. Air Force. The blurb says he was then (still) a lieutenant, so I guess that "professorship" at the AF academy was not as exalted as I thought.

IdaGriz01 said:
Cuervohola said:
... Ok, well I'm stuck on Can't find a picture of Modly in uniform, period.
Okay ... "I feel your pain."

Quite frustrating. I did find his photo -- in uniform -- in the 1983 Naval Academy "Lucky Bag Yearbook," along with what was supposed to be a humorous squib about him (it does mention his "Modes" call sign).

Unfortunately, I'd have to buy a subscription to an electronic yearbook service to get a full-sized photo ... and I don't give that much of a damn. Anyway, by the time I blow up the on-screen image, it isn't worth s**t. But he's there. ;)

FWIW: During my search, I found that he'd received a "Meritorious Achievement Award" from the U.S. Air Force. The blurb says he was then (still) a lieutenant, so I guess that "professorship" at the AF academy was not as exalted as I thought.

Ok, I'll trust you. I'm not spending 10 seconds on it either.

Former acting sec.of Navy Modly is reported to have told his colleagues that Trump wanted him to fire Captain Crozier. Trump made a statement to the press after the Captain Crozier firing by acting Navy Sec Modly that he (Trump) had never spoken to Modly about the firing and in fact had never even met him before. Could a president appoint someone to one of the most important cabinet posts in government without at least interviewing him first. For any of you chain of command types is that even possible for a sec. of the navy not to have frequent contact with the commander in chief or to not even have ever met him? Serious question. Thanks

PS. So anyway there’s a picture of Trump at the army - navy game in December 2019, sitting in the stands among the midshipmen. In the picture sec of defense Esper is sitting right next to Trump on one side and sitting right next to Trump on his left is the acting sec. of Navy Modly. Wow, wonder if Modly just scalped a random ticket and got lucky enough to sit next to the most powerful man in the world and didn’t even know it? So there’s that.

IdaGriz01 said:

One key quote:
CNN said:

He most likely got out as a LT (O-3). You don’t make commander in 7 years, or even LCDR unless you’re a specialty staff officer like a lawyer or doctor. 2 yrs as Ensign, 2 yrs as LTJG, 4-5 yrs as LT, 4-5 yrs as LCDR, etc..

AZGrizFan said:
... He most likely got out as a LT (O-3). You don’t make commander in 7 years, or even LCDR unless you’re a specialty staff officer like a lawyer or doctor. 2 yrs as Ensign, 2 yrs as LTJG, 4-5 yrs as LT, 4-5 yrs as LCDR, etc..
Yep. I knew I was pushing it even with the LtCmdr ... I over-estimated what his assignment to teach at the Air Force academy might mean. (Not much apparently, from other input.) Note that in my follow-up for "Cuervo" the "Meritorious" thing he got said he was then a LT ... and that was just before he got out of the service.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
... He most likely got out as a LT (O-3). You don’t make commander in 7 years, or even LCDR unless you’re a specialty staff officer like a lawyer or doctor. 2 yrs as Ensign, 2 yrs as LTJG, 4-5 yrs as LT, 4-5 yrs as LCDR, etc..
Yep. I knew I was pushing it even with the LtCmdr ... I over-estimated what his assignment to teach at the Air Force academy might mean. (Not much apparently, from other input.) Note that in my follow-up for "Cuervo" the "Meritorious" thing he got said he was then a LT ... and that was just before he got out of the service.

I was thinking LTJG after 7... HA! That would guarantee his God Complex as sudden SECNAV.

"Can't get that Bird ranky thingie, but I can FIRE YOU!!! Neener neener neener!"

The facts of this story keep dripping out drop by damning drop. Turns out now that a young sailor was found non responsive while being isolated on Guam and has been hospitalized intensive care ever since. He tested positive for the virus on March 30. So that was just released by the Navy. Crosier nor his crew leaked it to the press. To you navy types who and how many on that ship would known about the incident from when the sailor was found to right now where he is in some intensive care unit on Guam. I’m guessing a lot the sailors who found him, treated him, transported him the radio shack etc. and nobody leaked it. Amazing.

So if crosier sent memo out on March 30 after the sailor was found to be infected and put in isolation, don’t you think there will be an email trail up and down the chain and about it. There must be so much more we have no idea about. I’m losing my faith in our military it seems like it is being manipulated to shape a pr campaign. This stuff always comes out and its just going to keep coming. I don’t think Croizer panicked at all. Rather he cooly calculated his by the text book move sending his memo,up the chain and to eligible recipient only. I’m betting the navy will be able to trace back who in the chain of command leaked it. I’m thinking someone who disagreed with the Navy. I read an article about his Annapolis roommates all said he was a low key, smart, talented strong character no panic guy who did everything by the book. He first became a helicopter pilot out of school (1992) and then somehow went and became an F18 pilot too, becaus you have to be an active pilot to command a carrier I think. He hasn’t said a word about any of this publicly. His side is getting out through class and shipmates who have retired. He is outplaying the whitehouse pr machine on this. If this sailor dies wow. What a tragic unnecessary thing to have happened. What a cluster fuck. Politics anyone? And yes Kem I think Trumps finger prints are all over this. The disheartening thing about this is yes Trump found time during a pandemic to have Crozier taken out, right after he fired the new Inspector General. The whitehouse is only going to look more terrible with its lies and subterfuge about everything it seems. Really hope to hear the military fellas views on this thanks
Ps 285 sailors tested positive on wed today it’s 416. Navy is waiting on the results of 1000 more tests. Not sure if all 5000 crew has been tested. I hope they have the respirators they need.

A petition has been circulating started by family members of the carrier that has over 300,000 signature urging Gidley to reinstate Crozier to his command. Has that ever happened before a commander getting his command back after having been fired? Thanks

Dutch Lane said:
A petition has been circulating started by family members of the carrier that has over 300,000 signature urging Gidley to reinstate Crozier to his command. Has that ever happened before a commander getting his command back after having been fired? Thanks

Got a feeling it will not make any difference. What's done is done!

Dutch Lane said:

Lol. Yeah, that ain’t happening. The military isn’t going to be SJW’ed into giving him his command back.

He suffered a loss of confidence in his ability to lead....plain and simple.

His career (as far as advancement goes) is done. Lots of officers did a lot less and saw their careers become toast. It’s the way of the world once you put the scrambled eggs on your cover.

AZGrizFan said:
Dutch Lane said:

Lol. Yeah, that ain’t happening. The military isn’t going to be SJW’ed into giving him his command back.

He suffered a loss of confidence in his ability to lead....plain and simple.

His career (as far as advancement goes) is done. Lots of officers did a lot less and saw their careers become toast. It’s the way of the world once you put the scrambled eggs on your cover.

No way in hell. In all probability, he also compromised his boat's security and quite possibly put the entire country's telecommunications at risk. I'm certain we''ll soon hear all telecommunications with China are suspended indefinitely (even though all of our podunk rural telecommication companies throughout the most vulnerable parts of the country such as those around Great Falls have been using Huawei cell towers for years and we've all been offering facial recognition photos via snapchat, etc. but...). Now we'll probably find out soon Rogala is heading up an FCC subcommittee to keep the bad guys from intercepting our phone calls and internet traffic...

He violated two of the three basic tenets of CCC...if he doesn't get court-martialed, then our military is going to hell in a hand basket.

Back