• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question for Military & ex-military?

Dillon said:
Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
100%GRIZ said:
I’m sure Trump is aware of where every ship is every second of the day especially during a Major pandemic!

Well stated. Brevity is an art taught in military courses such as Command and General Staff and the War College. So is sarcasm but I subscribe to the thought that is an innate skill that separates a JAG from a civilian lawyer. Present the facts, review the UCMJ and act accordingly. Over and done with and carry on. Sometimes we do need the REMFs but not often...even though it takes 100 Combat Support and Combat Service Support REMFs to properly support one infantryman...

How many SEALs on a carrier? The carrier has a new commander and is functioning. Read the after-action report when it's made public in a couple of years.

Well yes the carrier does have a new acting commander but it is currently out of commission and not functioning because 90% of the crew is under quarantine on Guam as the ship is being disinfected. Kind of like what it’s former commander had recommended to be done.

But it was the captains decision to allow his sailors off the ship in the first place not Trumps!

Obviously never served. The lowest cadets are taught in JROTC programs, any trainee at Basic Training are taught the critical nature within any of the branches the critical nature of the chain of command. Guess one can give him a pass because he obviously never served.

Dillon said:
Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
100%GRIZ said:
I’m sure Trump is aware of where every ship is every second of the day especially during a Major pandemic!

Well stated. Brevity is an art taught in military courses such as Command and General Staff and the War College. So is sarcasm but I subscribe to the thought that is an innate skill that separates a JAG from a civilian lawyer. Present the facts, review the UCMJ and act accordingly. Over and done with and carry on. Sometimes we do need the REMFs but not often...even though it takes 100 Combat Support and Combat Service Support REMFs to properly support one infantryman...

How many SEALs on a carrier? The carrier has a new commander and is functioning. Read the after-action report when it's made public in a couple of years.

Well yes the carrier does have a new acting commander but it is currently out of commission and not functioning because 90% of the crew is under quarantine on Guam as the ship is being disinfected. Kind of like what it’s former commander had recommended to be done.

But it was the captains decision to allow his sailors off the ship in the first place not Trumps!
Hey wait a second, you posted last month that you purposely skip over all my posts. Lol.

No I believe it was the Navy’s chain of command who allowed the sailors off of the ship in Guam. It’s my understanding from the captains letter that he recommended that it be done faster and that the entire crew also be quarantined in order properly disinfect the ship. Trump is the one who fired him for the letter after it was leaked.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Dillon said:
Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Obviously never served. The lowest cadets are taught in JROTC programs, any trainee at Basic Training are taught the critical nature within any of the branches the critical nature of the chain of command. Guess one can give him a pass because he obviously never served.

Dutch Lane is a Trump hater and makes all his cases to bad mouth the President any way he can.

This whole issue isn't about taking care of the troops, it is following your chain of command. This Captain did not do this. It is as simple as that! If you have never served, you have no idea, really, what is suppose to occur.

Opinions, well everyone has one!

I base my statement off of my 23 years active duty and 17 years of Federal Service with the United States Air Force!

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Dillon said:
Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Are you talking about Trump getting a pass because he never served? I believe that is correct although the did go to high school at some New York military style prep school for petulant teenagers.

Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Dillon said:
Dutch Lane said:

Are you talking about Trump getting a pass because he never served? I believe that is correct although the did go to high school at some New York military style prep school for petulant teenagers.

I think Trump served with Clinton's and Obama's unit.

reinell30 said:
Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Dillon said:

I think Trump served with Clinton's and Obama's unit.
Hey remember that time that Mr.Clinton and Mr.Obama (both of whom never served) made fun of Sen. McCain and disparaged his service to his nation?

Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Dillon said:
Dutch Lane said:

Believe it or not, he is serving now. He's the Commander in Chief. That would be the highest ranking individual in the chain of command. Sounds like you missed out on LTC North explaining to Congress the various and assorted roles within the chain of command when that asshole from Wyoming, Cheney, was the Secretary of Defense and covered up Gander.

Dutch Lane said:
Dillon said:
Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Hey wait a second, you posted last month that you purposely skip over all my posts. Lol.

No I believe it was the Navy’s chain of command who allowed the sailors off of the ship in Guam. It’s my understanding from the captains letter that he recommended that it be done faster and that the entire crew also be quarantined in order properly disinfect the ship. Trump is the one who fired him for the letter after it was leaked.

Ok - you are right. I later determined that you are not a total complete idiot!

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Dillon said:
Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

You are correct I never was in the Military but have the utmost respect for those who have!

I don't know why the CPT sent the email and decided not to include his immediate supervisor, but he didn't reach O-6 by breaking the Chain constantly. There had to be a good reason, and I would suspect the Admiral above him was probably keeping his lips shut so that nobody would hear about it.

I only remember 3 good quality Officers in my 12 years, and all of them were Mustangs.. (Rose to Non Commissioned Officer rank of E-5 or above before becoming an Officer) The rest were either West Pointers that didn't have a clue about how anything worked while having a God complex, or ROTC guys that knew less than Privates.

Now, I didn't dig that deep on this, but based on his crew cheering him as he left, I suspect I would have been one of them.

AZGrizFan said:
22 year naval officer here. I said it on another message board the day it happened.....he was going to lose his command and it was the right thing to do. As a commanding officer you don’t a) violate the chain of command, b) “leak” anything to get your way, c) announce to the rest of the world that a US aircraft carrier was out of commission and going offline because of a virus spreading throughout the ship.

He literally did nothing right in this scenario. And I’m sure he knew it. Either he’s stupid, or he was getting REALLY bad advice from his subordinates. Or both.

AZ, 35 year career Navy (12 years enlisted and 23 years LDO). I concur with your initial comments. Sitting in our lounge chairs today, we will never know what discussions were held in the CO's Cabin with his Department Heads, but I am one to believe he was convinced by the Senior Medical Officer and Executive Officer to go off line due to the virus spreading. Agreeing with these individuals caused his demise.

Dillon said:
Dutch Lane said:

Ok - you are right. I later determined that you are not a total complete idiot!
Well gee thanks I think :lol: :thumb:

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Dillon said:

Is that kinda the same as never played the game? Thanks

Dutch Lane said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Is that kinda the same as never played the game? Thanks

No way in hell are the two comparable. It's laughable to listen to those "who have played the game" refer to running a play in a game as "when the bullets start flying." You're welcome.

behappp said:
[media]https://twitter.com/Stonekettle/status/1247220127814344705?s=20[/media]
Just so people know: Mobly was a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy. He may been have "only" a "junior helicopter pilot," but he does wear "the ring" and had seven years of active duty. Was he as experienced and accomplished as the captain he criticized? Obviously not, but he is not some ignorant boob the prez picked off the street because he was a donor. Addendum: He also taught for awhile at the U.S. Air Force Academy ... political science, BTW, so he knows a little something about the interplay between the uniformed forces and the civilians who are in charge at the top.

Do I wish he'd kept his mouth shut? You bet. But it's not like he's some unqualified dodo.

IdaGriz01 said:
behappp said:
[media]https://twitter.com/Stonekettle/status/1247220127814344705?s=20[/media]
Just so people know: Mobly was a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy. He may been have "only" a "junior helicopter pilot," but he does wear "the ring" and had seven years of active duty. Was he as experienced and accomplished as the captain he criticized? Obviously not, but he is not some ignorant boob the prez picked off the street because he was a donor. Addendum: He also taught for awhile at the U.S. Air Force Academy ... political science, BTW, so he knows a little something about the interplay between the uniformed forces and the civilians who are in charge at the top.

Do I wish he'd kept his mouth shut? You bet. But it's not like he's some unqualified dodo.
Are there qualified Dodo's? Asking for a friend.

Dutch Lane said:
AZGrizFan said:
Lots of mistakes made here....not the least of which was the shore leave....but he had a total of 155 cases of non-lethal sickness amongst a crew of over 5,000. It’s not like a carrier is carrying a boatload of 80-somethings with preexisting conditions...it’s 5,000 20-30 year olds in peak physical condition. The odds of any of them dying from this is about 0.01%. Hell, an aircraft carrier is one of the most dangerous places on EARTH already....many times multiple deaths occur on every WestPac....to shut it down and announce to the world that the ship was OOC was just about the dumbest thing he could have done. There was no logical reason to panic like he did....honestly, he wasn’t fit for command if that’s his reaction to a little stress.

I’m sure in the Navy’s after-action report on this (and there WILL be one done), they’ll look at the chain of events the led up to the letter being released and realize there were about 10 opportunities to break that chain....none were taken....some were presented to the CO, some were presented to others....any one of which would have broken the chain....but here we are. And I stand by the assertion that the Navy STILL did the right thing in relieving him of his command.
You really need to check your facts because my understanding Is the shore leave was in Dah Nang on March 5 not Korea. Also this port of call had been planned for over a year by the Navy i.e. the Trump administration and not by this captain. It was part of the pr campaign this administration is waging in its on going trade war with China to have another US carrier visit Vietnam. There were government dignitaries from both the US and Vietnamese at the port of call ceremony of only the 2nd US carrier to ever visit Vietnam. So there’s that.

I read in the military times that when a hotel that 30 sailors were staying had 5 British citizens at the same hotel test positive for covid-19 shore leave was canceled and every sailor who returned to the ship was tested before being allowed on board.

So riddle me this why was Trump dumping on the captain in his briefing today for saying it was dumb of him to have let his sailors visit Vietnam. Isn’t he the top of the chain of command and isn’t it ultimately he and his administrations call when and where warships visit during trade wars? Also why didn’t the military chain of command investigate the matter first rather then the acting secretary of navy (who told his colleagues that trump wanted the guy fired)simply fire him without an investigation? Also the fleet commander and his staff are stationed on board the captain’s ship you really think he failed to discuss the crisis with his Navy chain of command on his ship? This stinks of pure Trump incompetence and his narcissistic impulses to pass the buck and destroy a perceived never Trumper navy captain.

I did read the captains letter (everyone should) which was not a plea for help, as reported in the right stream media. Rather is it was a detailed request sent to the chain of command at the Pentagon but also leaked to the San Fransisco Chronicle by parties unknown in the chain of command to which it was sent (suspicion is it was actually leaked by someone in the acting secretary of navy’s office at the pentagon, probably payback by left over ally of the former fired by Trump secretary of the navy) to implement a plan formulated by the captain and his staff to handle the situation, by quarantining the majority of the crew in individual rooms or tents on Guam where they had been directed to steam to after the virus first showed up on the ship. He outlined that 10% of the crew would remain on board to administer to the reactor and other controls much like what routinely happens when ships dock and are out of service. He then formulated a plan to clean the entire ship and ventilation system and only permit crew back on board who been quarantined for 14 days on Guam and also tested negative (Guam has 8,860 hotel rooms) His letter also outlined that if need be in a time of war or crisis the ships crew would still immediately be able to get back to sea even while sick and still infected and still complete any mission. So that was the plan he requested to implement and for which he was fired by Trump. The Trump or Navy plan was to let the crew of 5000 continue to stay aboard the infected ship while anchored in Guam while the virus spread without adequate medical services and adequate facilities to properly quarantine the crew and slowly take of the crew not in mass like the captain requested to do.

Well guess who’s plan the Navy is now implementing to deal with the crisis? If you said the captain’s then you guessed right and you would have gotten fired for it also. They are doing exactly what he recommends in his letter, go figure. Lol Nothing like the top of the chain of command again taking zero responsibility for anything that happens on his watch, because he knows more then his generals and admirals right?

Sorry, but your assertion that the Navy did the right thing by relieving him of his command is totally off base. The Navy didn’t relieved him of his command, Trump did. On April 1st, the Navy i.e. the acting secretary of the Navy as reported in military.com, stated that the Captain absolutely would not be reprimanded or punished for his letter. So there’s also that. #winning :thumb:

lol... you start your post saying that I should learn the facts, then go on to make about 15 ASSupmtions in this manifesto.... :roll: :roll:

Cuervohola said:
I don't know why the CPT sent the email and decided not to include his immediate supervisor, but he didn't reach O-6 by breaking the Chain constantly. There had to be a good reason, and I would suspect the Admiral above him was probably keeping his lips shut so that nobody would hear about it.

I only remember 3 good quality Officers in my 12 years, and all of them were Mustangs.. (Rose to Non Commissioned Officer rank of E-5 or above before becoming an Officer) The rest were either West Pointers that didn't have a clue about how anything worked while having a God complex, or ROTC guys that knew less than Privates.

Now, I didn't dig that deep on this, but based on his crew cheering him as he left, I suspect I would have been one of them.

I was a mustang. Six years enlisted, 16 years as an officer. My guys liked me and respected me...mostly because they knew I’d been on the other side of the desk and when I told them to do something, they knew there was a time I’d done it myself.

My final take is this: It is NOT in a CO’s job description to be “popular”. It’s his job to ensure the ship is ready to fight at all times. Period. End of discussion. And it’s his job to make the hard decisions that are, many times, unpopular. The EASY decision was to piss and moan to the press and ask to quarantine the entire ship ashore. Of course the crew cheered him for that. The HARD decision would have been to continue to operate with reduced manpower—to stay on station like his orders no doubt required him to do until the ship could be properly relieved.

And the Acting SecNav may be a douche....nay, he is in all probability a douche....but whether HE decided to fire the CO or Trump ordered him to fire the CO, the end result is the same....it was the right decision. A loss of faith in his ability to command....(whether the crew “liked” him or not...).

AZGrizFan said:
Dutch Lane said:
You really need to check your facts because my understanding Is the shore leave was in Dah Nang on March 5 not Korea. Also this port of call had been planned for over a year by the Navy i.e. the Trump administration and not by this captain. It was part of the pr campaign this administration is waging in its on going trade war with China to have another US carrier visit Vietnam. There were government dignitaries from both the US and Vietnamese at the port of call ceremony of only the 2nd US carrier to ever visit Vietnam. So there’s that.

I read in the military times that when a hotel that 30 sailors were staying had 5 British citizens at the same hotel test positive for covid-19 shore leave was canceled and every sailor who returned to the ship was tested before being allowed on board.

So riddle me this why was Trump dumping on the captain in his briefing today for saying it was dumb of him to have let his sailors visit Vietnam. Isn’t he the top of the chain of command and isn’t it ultimately he and his administrations call when and where warships visit during trade wars? Also why didn’t the military chain of command investigate the matter first rather then the acting secretary of navy (who told his colleagues that trump wanted the guy fired)simply fire him without an investigation? Also the fleet commander and his staff are stationed on board the captain’s ship you really think he failed to discuss the crisis with his Navy chain of command on his ship? This stinks of pure Trump incompetence and his narcissistic impulses to pass the buck and destroy a perceived never Trumper navy captain.

I did read the captains letter (everyone should) which was not a plea for help, as reported in the right stream media. Rather is it was a detailed request sent to the chain of command at the Pentagon but also leaked to the San Fransisco Chronicle by parties unknown in the chain of command to which it was sent (suspicion is it was actually leaked by someone in the acting secretary of navy’s office at the pentagon, probably payback by left over ally of the former fired by Trump secretary of the navy) to implement a plan formulated by the captain and his staff to handle the situation, by quarantining the majority of the crew in individual rooms or tents on Guam where they had been directed to steam to after the virus first showed up on the ship. He outlined that 10% of the crew would remain on board to administer to the reactor and other controls much like what routinely happens when ships dock and are out of service. He then formulated a plan to clean the entire ship and ventilation system and only permit crew back on board who been quarantined for 14 days on Guam and also tested negative (Guam has 8,860 hotel rooms) His letter also outlined that if need be in a time of war or crisis the ships crew would still immediately be able to get back to sea even while sick and still infected and still complete any mission. So that was the plan he requested to implement and for which he was fired by Trump. The Trump or Navy plan was to let the crew of 5000 continue to stay aboard the infected ship while anchored in Guam while the virus spread without adequate medical services and adequate facilities to properly quarantine the crew and slowly take of the crew not in mass like the captain requested to do.

Well guess who’s plan the Navy is now implementing to deal with the crisis? If you said the captain’s then you guessed right and you would have gotten fired for it also. They are doing exactly what he recommends in his letter, go figure. Lol Nothing like the top of the chain of command again taking zero responsibility for anything that happens on his watch, because he knows more then his generals and admirals right?

Sorry, but your assertion that the Navy did the right thing by relieving him of his command is totally off base. The Navy didn’t relieved him of his command, Trump did. On April 1st, the Navy i.e. the acting secretary of the Navy as reported in military.com, stated that the Captain absolutely would not be reprimanded or punished for his letter. So there’s also that. #winning :thumb:

lol... you start your post saying that I should learn the facts, then go on to make about 15 ASSupmtions in this manifesto.... :roll: :roll:
Uhm like what are my 15 ASSUmptions in your learned opinion? My fact pattern was taken from public record and statements by the Navy as of today. Thanks for playing :thumb:

Back